E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Rob, how would any tune that is designed for the stock injectors manage higher flowing injectors? Doesn't the tune (stock DME, Shark update, custom tune, etc.) basically look at how much air is going in and adjust the pulse width of the injector to send what it thinks is the right amount of gas? If Shark Injector map sees more air and sends more gas, it will send more gas than expected because it thinks you still have 24 lb/hr injectors.

Unless the tune is adjusting injector pulse width by what the O2 sensors say instead of just by the MAF reading. Then the tune would adjust the pulses to get what it thinks is the best ratio. I'm somewhat ignorant about engine tuning, so school me here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Last week I received my 30 LBS injectors from VAC Motorsport, I'm reasonably certain the stock 24 LBS injectors won't keep up. I'll find out real quick if the Shark Injector is up to the task of running them, if not it's on to the custom tune.
Merry Christmas.
Rob
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Rob, how would any tune that is designed for the stock injectors manage higher flowing injectors? Doesn't the tune (stock DME, Shark update, custom tune, etc.) basically look at how much air is going in and adjust the pulse width of the injector to send what it thinks is the right amount of gas? If Shark Injector map sees more air and sends more gas, it will send more gas than expected because it thinks you still have 24 lb/hr injectors.

Unless the tune is adjusting injector pulse width by what the O2 sensors say instead of just by the MAF reading. Then the tune would adjust the pulses to get what it thinks is the best ratio. I'm somewhat ignorant about engine tuning, so school me here...

Honestly, "tuning" (ECU) is out of my current ability. I recently bought a well known tuning book, but haven't read much of it. This is why you won't find any posts on that subject, except for my knowledge of the Shark Injector.

So the answer is I don't know if these injectors will work with my current setup, I do know all the calculations say my stock injectors won't cut it. I will be installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to try a little manual fuel tuning. So I guess I'll find out soon enough, If I can't get things dialed in I'm off for a true dyno/custom tune. So one way or another it's getting dialed in, I'm in to deep to stop.

Merry Christmas,

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
My 330Ci... without a doubt. The CF interior wrap really made an impression in my butt dyno. The racing pedals add 5hp. The rolled fenders to fit my big 265/35's make me feel like traction is never an issue, thats a 7-8hp. and oh yeah, my K&N CAI and headers help a bit too.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
I know this guy, who is friends of this other guy who read somewhere on the internet that his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate has the fastest 330 out there.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
ICONIKE46

My Ride: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko123 View Post
Stav Secono330ci is pretty fast...
driven his car multiple times, because racecar. Def one of the fastest.

Aggie
Stav
pei330ci

prolly the top 3 fastest non-m (I think? correct me if I'm wrong though)
ICONIKE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #26
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Whatever I'll play

2002 BMW 330i Sport Package with 5 speed manual and 145k miles

Dynojet: SAE Corrected 217 RWHP 213 RWTQ

No drag times.

Pretty consistent 5.3-5.4 seconds on a 5-60MPH street start (easier for me to replicate and prolly about the same as a pro launching it from naught to 60).

Mods:
BMW Performance Intake: Sounds Good, prolly was good for a few hp
bimmerbrakes.com Ceramic Coated Headers: Awesome mod, these coupled with the BMW Perf Intake made 207RWHP 206 RWTQ
EvoSport Underdrive Pulleys: Ok mod, good for steering feel, other than that it made a whopping 2rwhp so 209RWHP 206 RWTQ with these and the above
AA Tune: I don't give a f*ck what anyone says it was a decent mod for 350, really improved throttle response and put me up to 213rwhp 207 rwtq
Stett Intake Boots: I got these for shits and giggles and I'll be damned they put me up to 217rwhp and 213rwtq, who knew?
UUC Motorwerks Stage I Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel with E36 M3 Performance Clutch Kit: No power added, but by far my 2nd best mod next to headers.

Coming in due time:
Magnaflow Exhaust
3.15 or 3.23 Diff
Some custom cams and headwork
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 12-22-2011 at 04:00 AM.
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
Whatever I'll play

2002 BMW 330i Sport Package with 5 speed manual and 145k miles

Dynojet: SAE Corrected 217 RWHP 213 RWTQ

No drag times.

Pretty consistent 5.3-5.4 seconds on a 5-60MPH street start (easier for me to replicate and prolly about the same as a pro launching it from naught to 60).

Mods:
BMW Performance Intake: Sounds Good, prolly was good for a few hp
bimmerbrakes.com Ceramic Coated Headers: Awesome mod, these coupled with the BMW Perf Intake made 207RWHP 206 RWTQ
EvoSport Underdrive Pulleys: Ok mod, good for steering feel, other than that it made a whopping 2rwhp so 209RWHP 206 RWTQ with these and the above
AA Tune: I don't give a f*ck what anyone says it was a decent mod for 350, really improved throttle response and put me up to 213rwhp 207 rwtq
Stett Intake Boots: I got these for shits and giggles and I'll be damned they put me up to 217rwhp and 213rwtq, who knew?UUC Motorwerks Stage I Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel with E36 M3 Performance Clutch Kit: No power added, but by far my 2nd best mod next to headers.

Coming in due time:
Magnaflow Exhaust
3.15 or 3.23 Diff
Some custom cams and headwork
Really...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Really...
Yes all my dynos are in your dyno thread and in my build thread.

But why'd you say really though?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Yes all my dynos are in your dyno thread and in my build thread.

But why'd you say really though?

Cause the other guys are pushing 230whp+
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #30
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Well excuse me. Just figured I would let whoever was curious know what mods did what for what me. I know how much aggie is pushing and adam was pushing.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #31
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
No, I think he was curious that the Stett boots made power. That's a pleasant surprise.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #32
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Lol my 323i made 200whp 197 torque with dinan cf tube cai, ebay headers, schrick 248/248 cams, 3" midpipe with no 2nd resonator, and a custom dyno tune...my 323i was a factory freak to begin with but i was surprised when it even put down these numbers when it got tuned...wish i had a 3.0 liter

///M

Last edited by Redline; 12-23-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #33
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
No, I think he was curious that the Stett boots made power. That's a pleasant surprise.
This is correct. I emailed Stett right after I read that.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #34
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Lol my 323i made 200whp 197 torque with dinan cf tube cai, ebay headers, schrick 248/248 cams, 3" midpipe with no 2nd resonator, and a custom dyno tune... wish i had a 3.0 liter
Sheet?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #35
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Sheet?
was tuned back in january, ill have to dig it out of my computer or email since it was emailed to me back then, i have it somewhere...if i find it ill post it, im going back for another tune soon since i dont have the cams anymore and im going to be trying out nitrous after rebuilding my head. ill definitely post up the results when all is said and done and i get the tune

I need to pull the head as i have a lifter thats ticking away, finding the time to do it has been the hard part as ive been putting this off for a month now, it seems like whenever im about to do it something else goes wrong with the car and needs to be repaired and wastes more time/money or work is getting in the way of my free time :/

now i have to deal with a stripped nut in the frame that i messed up while installing control arms, cross threaded the 16mm bolt while bolting the control arm bushings back onto the car...not sure when my car will be back on the road, both bmw dealerships in my area wont touch it and all the indy shops wont rethread the bolt for me all due to liability, they all said take it to a body shop. taking it to the body shop tomorrow morning to see about cutting into the side of the frame and putting a new nut behind the old one and using a longer bolt if we cant cut the threads to the next size up and successfully torque it back up to spec, at the moment the max it will torque up to is 20lbs just one of those stupid mistakes that end up being a major problem

///M

Last edited by Redline; 12-23-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 AM   #36
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Well excuse me. Just figured I would let whoever was curious know what mods did what for what me. I know how much aggie is pushing and adam was pushing.

Yes and it's informative. I was just guessing why he saying really for lol

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 12-23-2011 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #37
Redline

so just intake boots will give you a couple hp? should have went with aftermarket when i replaced mine...

///M
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #38
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Yes and it's informative. I was just guessing why he saying really for lol
Ok...Sorry for the Smart Comment. I just saw that the Quote that was said really for was BOLD. BimmerApp doesn't show bold text.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #39
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Soon.

Merry Christmas.

defiantly want to see this
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #40
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
In before spdsktr tries to claim dominance.
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote