USA SPEC install problems - TCU fried? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
invictvs

My Ride: '04 330Ci (6 Speed)
USA SPEC install problems - TCU fried?

After 5 years of dealing with my DICE iPod interface I decided to switch to the USA Spec. I bought one off eBay and installed it (without removing the fuses/disconnecting battery) but it didn't work. My radio displays "NO MAGAZINE" when I try to select the cd changer input. The iPhone does receive power, however (it charges).

I tried reinstalling it the 'right' way by disconnecting the battery - no luck. I tried pulling the fuses, disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, rebooting iPhone, etc. - still no luck. I decided to reconnect the DICE temporarily so I could at least have something; now it doesn't work either! No "ATTACHED" or "DETACHED" message. It just shows the CD number and track but no data transmits. Selecting CD 5 does not prompt the iPod/Aux selection like it used to. The iPhone does receive power with the DICE unit as well, however.

This is where things get even more interesting. I reconnected the USA Spec and I flipped the DIP switches every which way but could only get the AUX input mode (DIP switch #1: off) to be recognized. I tried the AUX input this morning and it worked.

Also, my radio now randomly turns off. And for the cherry on top, my bluetooth unit (TCU) no longer works. It's completely offline. I checked its fuse and it's fine. Disconnecting the battery for a while didn't fix it either. I scanned my car with ISTA-D and the TCU is in red (the radio scans fine). I used ISTA-P and it doesn't see the TCU module either. My only coding option available for the module is replacement, which I have not tried.

What the hell did I do?

Considering the proximity of the TCU and the CD changer in the wiring, I assume I may have messed something up in the wiring harness? The trunk lights and remote unlock mechanisms work fine, however. I spent several hours searching these forums (and others) with no luck.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
You may have a voltage problem that's coincident with the install of the adapter, etc. How old is the battery? These cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages cause wacky problems.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
invictvs

Around 2 years old, if I recall correctly. It's an Interstate battery. I replaced it when I replaced the alternator.

I'm curious whether a couple of clipped/damaged wires in the wiring harness could create this situation. I seem to recall having to repair a wire (that I had accidentally clipped) in the glove box when I had to remove the GM5 module a few months ago. Maybe there was one or two more that were damaged? I did have to remove the glove box for this install so maybe I further damaged some wires I had mangled last time? I'll have to check later today on that.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
invictvs

Issue solved.

I spent countless hours looking through various wiring diagrams and connector pinouts to better understand the electrical system. I purchased a new multimeter and even made my own back probe test leads using banana plugs and piano wire. After hours upon hours of troubleshooting, in the end the issue was this:

What I thought were the three 5A fuses at positions 5, 6, and 7 were actually three 5A fuses at positions 4, 5 and 6. In other words, after I had finished with the install, in my haste I inserted the fuse at position 4 rather than position 7. It wasn't until the other night when I was testing voltages and that I pushed the fuse carrier down further to see the numbers at the top.

Fuse position 7 is shared by the radio head unit and the TCU which explains why the radio would shut off randomly and why the TCU had no power at all.

Apparently, when there is no device connected (or detected) by the USA SPEC (PA12-BMW) unit, the HU will display "NO MAGAZINE" and then switch to the radio. I thought the PA12 would behave like the Dice unit which did not need a device connected to remain selected.

That said, in order for the PA12 to detect a device in the first place the device must have at least one playlist on it - just having songs on the device (Music app) is not enough. I created a playlist and named it BMW1 per the PA12 manual (to be safe). It now works (although it can still be finicky).

I'm somewhat embarrassed that the issue was a fuse in the wrong slot, but I learned a lot in the process, specifically with respect to electrical troubleshooting.