E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 328 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #261
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
I just reflashed the dynavin rom from their website and all 5 BT dongles I have still dont work. =/ I narrowed it down to Dynavin kernel its resolved in a newer kernel but there isnt one made for our unit yet at least that I know of.

Here is a link to what can help us out with this problem

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index...._porting_guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Really? That kind of sucks. Thanks for clarifying.

What's perhaps more annoying then if that's the case is that my iphone doesn't have the personal hotspot option for tethering via wifi.

Might have to jailbreak it again to stick mywi back on (orwhatever it was I used to use).
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #262
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
d99 or d95?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #263
m3evolution

I have the original one bought it about a year ago I guess thats the D90?

For those that got the bluetooth to work. What other devices were you able to connect to? Cause when I try connect the bt dongles I have I can turn on bluetooth etc and pair with my headset but will show "paired but not connected" and thats as far as I can get.

Last edited by m3evolution; 03-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #264
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Now I can't get my 32GB SD card to work. Downloaded EASEUS partition manager, formatted as FAT32 (FAT16 is not possible with 32GB), Primary partition, Active.

I put the card in, Android says it's safe to remove.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #265
mcondruz

My Ride: BMW E46
Solved

Problem solved. Using EaseUS, I formated any card using 64k allocation size BUT: The partition MUST be set as Primary + Active. After this is working.
mcondruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #266
Ninety-9 SE-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcondruz View Post
Problem solved. Using EaseUS, I formated any card using 64k allocation size BUT: The partition MUST be set as Primary + Active. After this is working.
All of this was previously mentioned.

FAT16 (if under 4GB) FAT32 (if over 4GB) with 64kb allocation size. The partition must be primary, not extended/logical, and it needs to be set as active.

Thus far, I cannot get my new 32GB Sandisk MicroSD to work with the Dynavin, just for playing music not for booting/flashing.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #267
mcondruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-9 SE-L View Post
All of this was previously mentioned.

FAT16 (if under 4GB) FAT32 (if over 4GB) with 64kb allocation size. The partition must be primary, not extended/logical, and it needs to be set as active.

Thus far, I cannot get my new 32GB Sandisk MicroSD to work with the Dynavin, just for playing music not for booting/flashing.
There is a problem on Dynavin devices (at least for a part of them). There is a mistake when projecting the hardware part. The SD small board and the MAIN board make an angle of 90 degrees and the contacts of those 2 boards are continued. so those 2 boards are sticked together in an angle of 90 degrees and each time you push the sd card aiming to get it in or out, you are forcing those contacts. after a time (small time on main) those contacts are going to be intrerupted. Strange thing, it is still working for re-flashing but not for the rest. actually is depending which contact got intrerupted.
On my device, i opened it and I re-created the contacts. You have the possibility to open only the front side of the device by unscrewing the 4 screws. is not hard. After this you just need a solder instrument.

So this may be the problem. I was thinking initially that you have trouble reflashing the device.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #268
Ninety-9 SE-L

Quote:
There is a problem on Dynavin devices (at least for a part of them). There is a mistake when projecting the hardware part. The SD small board and the MAIN board make an angle of 90 degrees and the contacts of those 2 boards are continued. so those 2 boards are sticked together in an angle of 90 degrees and each time you push the sd card aiming to get it in or out, you are forcing those contacts. after a time (small time on main) those contacts are going to be intrerupted. Strange thing, it is still working for re-flashing but not for the rest. actually is depending which contact got intrerupted.
On my device, i opened it and I re-created the contacts. You have the possibility to open only the front side of the device by unscrewing the 4 screws. is not hard. After this you just need a solder instrument.

So this may be the problem. I was thinking initially that you have trouble reflashing the device.
Well, the problem doesn't seem to be with all SD cards. I seem to have a bunch of cards, most of them work.

I have the 2GB that came with the Dynavin, works fine and I use it to flash roms. I have a 2GB that came from an old phone, also works, but doesn't always recognize it if I boot with it in the slot. I have a 256MB one for my apk files, which works just fine. I bought two 32GBs on Amazon, last week, one for my phone, one for my Dynavin music. I can't seem to get the 32GBs to work in the Dynavin unit, for either board.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #269
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
Not tried anything over 8gb yet but the three cards I've tried so far all worked (2x 2gb, 1x 8gb).

I have found that the Dynavin doesn't seem to like cards being added/removed after it's switched on, and when it comes to the USB side of things (wifi dongle mostly as there's not an awful lot else I've had working through USB), it just cannot cope with adding or removing it while the unit is on.

Not sure if it's actually meant to be able to deal with this so it's more an observation than a gripe, although it would be nice if that was a bit more robust/stable.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #270
Ninety-9 SE-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Not tried anything over 8gb yet but the three cards I've tried so far all worked (2x 2gb, 1x 8gb).

I have found that the Dynavin doesn't seem to like cards being added/removed after it's switched on, and when it comes to the USB side of things (wifi dongle mostly as there's not an awful lot else I've had working through USB), it just cannot cope with adding or removing it while the unit is on.

Not sure if it's actually meant to be able to deal with this so it's more an observation than a gripe, although it would be nice if that was a bit more robust/stable.
Hmmm, mine seems to be the opposite. I can hot-swap SD cards with no problem, but I have one card that doesn't seem to read well during boot, I have to remove and re-insert it once the unit is done booting.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #271
mcondruz

Quote:
Well, the problem doesn't seem to be with all SD cards. I seem to have a bunch of cards, most of them work.

I have the 2GB that came with the Dynavin, works fine and I use it to flash roms. I have a 2GB that came from an old phone, also works, but doesn't always recognize it if I boot with it in the slot. I have a 256MB one for my apk files, which works just fine. I bought two 32GBs on Amazon, last week, one for my phone, one for my Dynavin music. I can't seem to get the 32GBs to work in the Dynavin unit, for either board.
In this case it might be the size of the card. I actually didn't used a card wigger than 8G like the most of other users of this device. For a lot of music for example I have an 80G ipod plugged-in which seem to be the most convenient way.
I also tried to put a USB hub on the wifi slot and seems like the wifi device is working and I can also plug-in memory sticks. works fine..
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #272
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
What is the model of USB hub you have got working with it?

I think it is a bit choosy with hubs so it would be good to know another besides the Bellini one known to work ok.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #273
listermint

Mines a belkin works perfect
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #274
Ninety-9 SE-L

Quote:
In this case it might be the size of the card. I actually didn't used a card wigger than 8G like the most of other users of this device. For a lot of music for example I have an 80G ipod plugged-in which seem to be the most convenient way.
I also tried to put a USB hub on the wifi slot and seems like the wifi device is working and I can also plug-in memory sticks. works fine..
the Dynavin should be compatible for up to 32GB SD card, I think Jeff is using a 32GB. I'll have to ask him because I cannot get anything above a 2GB card to read. I tried an 8GB card from my phone, same problem. I insert the card, it sees the card, then immediately tells me it's safe to remove.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #275
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
I dont know, I didnt do anything special with my 32GB card....I just bought it, put a bunch of files on it, and used it. Its a year old so maybe its a slower class than what is available now.....I dont have my car with me today to check what class card it is.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #276
Ninety-9 SE-L

Still no dice. I'm trying to go through all of the different allocation sizes, tried a few different ones. Now I get stuck on a notification that it's checking the card for errors. Class of the card won't matter, it just rates how fast the card can read or write, a Class 4 should be plenty for most music and video. Class 6 and 10 are really only needed for recording video.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #277
listermint

Quote:
Still no dice. I'm trying to go through all of the different allocation sizes, tried a few different ones. Now I get stuck on a notification that it's checking the card for errors. Class of the card won't matter, it just rates how fast the card can read or write, a Class 4 should be plenty for most music and video. Class 6 and 10 are really only needed for recording video.
Ive a 32 Sandisk Ultra ordered will let you know how i get on with it.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #278
Ninety-9 SE-L

I just wanted to add some info about these SD cards. My Dynavin card got corrupted, so I had to reformat it in order to flash a ROM. Worked fine, but I did notice, I picked the wrong allocation size and it still worked with no issues. Hopefully I can come to a better conclusion, but I have quite a few SD cards and I've been testing them to find some patterns, this is what I can tell you, at the moment:

The Dynavin appears to be less specific about FAT16 formatted cards (<= 4GB only). Allocation size doesn't matter, active/non-active doesn't matter. Active is only needed for it to boot/flash a rom. I found this out when I forgot to hit apply after setting my 2GB card active. When it comes to FAT32 (required for cards >4GB), the Dynavin is more choosy, and I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason for this. For the time being, it's luck of the draw. Below are my testing, note that I left the file systems as-is, I didn't reformat for testing:

Code:
64MB - Sandisk Transflash
Source: Old Motorola Dumbphone
Format: FAT12, 16k allocation, primary, not-active
Result: Not bootable, "SD card is blank or unsupported file system"

256MB - Sandisk
Source: Old Motorola Dumbphone
Format: FAT16, 16k allocation, primary, not-Active
Result: Not bootable, Filesystem mountable

2GB - "Sandisk" ink rubbed off, questioned legitimate, gold "ZH" sticker on back
Source: Dynavin Stock
Format: FAT16, 32k allocation, primary, active
Result: bootable, Filesystem mountable

2GB - Sandisk
Source: Old HTC Hero
Format: FAT16, 32k allocation, primary, not-active
Result: Not bootable, Filesystem mountable (usually)

8GB - Sandisk Class 4 (HC)
Source: HTC Evo3D
Format: FAT32, 32k allocation, primary, not-active
Result: Not bootable, not mountable "Safe to remove SD card"

8GB - Centon Class 6 (HC)
Source: CompUSA
Result: Not bootable, not mountable "SD card Corrupt"

16GB - Sandisk Class 4 (HC)
Source: Walmart
Result: Not bootable, Filesystem Mountable!!!

32GB - Sandisk Class 4 (HC)
Source: Amazon.com (reputable seller, lots of reviews claiming card is legit)
Format: FAT32, 64k allocation, primary, active
Result: Not bootable, not mountable "Safe to remove SD card"

Source: same as above
Format: same as above
Result: same as above

--------------
Re-formatted, re-tested:

Source: same as above
Result: Not bootable, not mountable
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #279
m3evolution

Does anybody have a copy of the Windows CE firmware for the Dynavin? According to Texas Instrument it looks like we can run Android or Windows CE with the same Omap3530 cpu we have in the Android. If this is true then there is no need to buy the Android version and pay the extra premium. If somebody can find a copy of the Windows CE firmware I will try to flash it and report back if it works or not.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....ck_Start_Guide
Old 03-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #280
Scott183

My Ride: '00 Civic, 05 Dodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Does anybody have a copy of the Windows CE firmware for the Dynavin? According to Texas Instrument it looks like we can run Android or Windows CE with the same Omap3530 cpu we have in the Android. If this is true then there is no need to buy the Android version and pay the extra premium. If somebody can find a copy of the Windows CE firmware I will try to flash it and report back if it works or not.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....ck_Start_Guide
Contact Mr325, he just got a WindowsCE unit sent to him by accident, hopefully he has not returned it yet.
Scott183 is offline   Reply With Quote