E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 251 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #161
jrgutierr

My Ride: 325i
Yes. Great job. If you get something working, I'd be more than willing to pay for it. You should get something back for your effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
I'm happy to say that the rowboat project's beagleboard Android ports appear to quarter-sorta-kindof work on the Dynavin! I got their Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on the unit, and while it doesn't boot, it does at least detect audio properly and show the "android" boot logo. Had to shotgun "chmod -R 777 *" the permissions on it to make it get to this point but at least we know the beagleboard ports use the same audio and graphics drivers. I'm going to continue working on this time-pending.

For clarification's sake, I'm using the rootfs for the beagleboard-xm, with Dynavin's kernel and uboot. Next step is probably getting the beagleboard kernel modified to work on the Dynavin, or the Dynavin kernel modified to work with gingerbread/ICS.

Also, if I have to do a complete build of Android to make this work, it will probably be gingerbread since I don't think I have enough RAM and processor grunt to do an ICS build in a reasonable time. Last I heard it took 48 hours on a dual quad xeon w/16gb RAM. I have 8gb and a single core2quad. Maybe I'll try anyways if I get bored. Never done an Android build from scratch. meh.
jrgutierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #162
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
I take back part of that, the video working part is almost certainly due to still running the Dynavin kernel. Looks like I'm going to be jumping into kernel land...

Update 1 - Got rowboat's Donut build running on the Dynavin with Dynavin's kernel. Yeah I know, wrong direction, but it's the first non Dynavin ROM that actually boots. It fully boots, drops to a root prompt on ttyS2, but the touchscreen is NOT calibrated, so it's useless in that department. (every touch results in the drop down menu popping out, but you can't actually pull it down)

http://i.imgur.com/YbDli.jpg

http://jneumann.net/Baldr/Dynavin-D9...t-Donut-v1.zip <--- Currently rather broken proof-of-concept. Don't flash this expecting to be able to use it for anything unless you can figure out how to get the touchscreen calibration thing to pop up.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 02-19-2012 at 07:02 PM.
jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #163
tasi333

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
@jneumann Amazing work!

I can't edit the first post anymore, does anyone know how can re-enable it? I was going to add the link to jneumann donut build

As for bluetooth, I'm using the latest rooted build and it seems to be working fine for me, I've also been able to use the native apps2sd feature since the latest rooted Dynavin ROM.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

*My Car Thread (Pics & Mod details):
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=873246
tasi333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #164
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
As for bluetooth, I'm using the latest rooted build and it seems to be working fine for me, I've also been able to use the native apps2sd feature since the latest rooted Dynavin ROM.
eh, maybe I'm just screwing with my unit/builds/etc too much. Good to know it's just me that's crazy.

On a side note, I noticed Donut is quite a bit more responsive compared to the stock Froyo when I plugged in the SD card to try my next reflash.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 02-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #165
Fragger

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
I'm happy to say that the rowboat project's beagleboard Android ports appear to quarter-sorta-kindof work on the Dynavin! I got their Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on the unit, and while it doesn't boot, it does at least detect audio properly and show the "android" boot logo. Had to shotgun "chmod -R 777 *" the permissions on it to make it get to this point but at least we know the beagleboard ports use the same audio and graphics drivers. I'm going to continue working on this time-pending.

For clarification's sake, I'm using the rootfs for the beagleboard-xm, with Dynavin's kernel and uboot. Next step is probably getting the beagleboard kernel modified to work on the Dynavin, or the Dynavin kernel modified to work with gingerbread/ICS.

Also, if I have to do a complete build of Android to make this work, it will probably be gingerbread since I don't think I have enough RAM and processor grunt to do an ICS build in a reasonable time. Last I heard it took 48 hours on a dual quad xeon w/16gb RAM. I have 8gb and a single core2quad. Maybe I'll try anyways if I get bored. Never done an Android build from scratch. meh.
Again, awesome job jnuemann! Stupid question though... Even if your port of Gingerbread or ICS is successful on the Dynavin, wouldn't the usability be horrible, thanks to our inferior hardware?
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #166
tasi333

Quote:
... Good to know it's just me that's crazy.
Crazy? or Genius?

I really hope you get a nice stable build of at least Gingerbread going, I think the tablet based interface will make usability so much better.

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue
VMR 701; Front 19x8.5et35 225/35; Rear 19x9.5et45 245/30 | Spacers: 15mm front; 12mm rear | Megan Racing Coil Overs | Short shifter | eBay Strut Bar | Angel Eyes | LED Tails | Dynavin (Droid) | Vanos | DISA

Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #167
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasi333 View Post
Crazy? or Genius?

I really hope you get a nice stable build of at least Gingerbread going, I think the tablet based interface will make usability so much better.
Me too. Current efforts are resulting in angry segfaults. Trying to avoid a clean build from scratch since I don't have the original sources/config files and would end up guessing at a lot of stuff. If anyone has any experience here I'd love some help.

I'm working partially off rowboat's efforts (which seem to be lacking in the gingerbread realm, mostly focused on ICS now) and the TI-Android-GingerBread-2.3-DevKit-1.0guide on processors.wiki.ti.com. I think that was already posted earlier if someone wants to get their hands dirty.

Edit: Screw it, I'm going to start fresh and build from source. I've never done this before, so wish me luck.

Edit 2: Graphics appears to be initialized via the uboot bootloader, not the kernel. I got the stock beagleboard kernel to boot, but it doesn't do anything past there other than display Tux at the upper left corner, probably because it's not designed for an Android rootfs. Any other uboot I try won't display video.

Edit 3: Here are what appear to be the bootargs for the flash-uboot.bin (the uboot that gets flashed to NAND)
Code:
bootargs=console=ttyS2,115200n8 ubi.mtd=4 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs init=/init androidboot.console=ttyS2
bootcmd=nand read.i 80300000 280000 300000;bootm 80300000
bootdelay=0
baudrate=115200
splashimage=80000000
And here are the commands u-boot.bin executes to flash the other files to NAND
Code:
nand erase;
mmc init;
nandecc hw;
fatload mmc 0 80000000 x-load.bin.ift_for_NAND;
nand write.i 80000000 0 $(filesize);
nandecc sw;
fatload mmc 0 80000000 flash-uboot.bin;
nand write.i 80000000 80000 $(filesize);
fatload mmc 0 80000000 logo7.bmp;
nand write.i 80000000 100000 $(filesize);
fatload mmc 0 80000000 uImage;
nand write.i 80000000 280000 $(filesize);
fatload mmc 0 81000000 ubi.img;
nand write.i 81000000 680000 $(filesize);

I have confirmed these commands work with the normal u-boot via serial console, as expected, to flash everything needed to NAND just as the u-boot autoflasher does.

Update 2.20.12 11:20pm
- Since it's going to be near impossible to make custom builds of u-boot for this device with my skill level/lack of source code, I've just made some important edits with a hex editor.

flash-uboot.bin-9sec-delay Normal u-boot, but with a 9 second boot delay for serial console access
flash-uboot.bin-9sec-delay-nosplash - Same as top, but without a splash screen. Didn't notice any different behavior.
flash-uboot.bin-9sec-delay-SD-uI - Same as top, but loads a uImage kernel off the SD card named "uI" and uses the ubifs on the NAND as the rootfs.
flash-uboot.bin-9sec-delay-nosplash-SD-rootfs-nand-uImage - Loads a uImage kernel off NAND and uses the second partition (ext3) on the SD card as the rootfs.
flash-uboot.bin-9sec-delay-nosplash-SD-rootfs-uI - Loads a uImage kernel named "uI" on the SD card and uses the second partition (ext3) on the SD card as the rootfs
u-boot.bin-textchange - u-boot for flashing a ROM to NAND, but with a proof-of-concept text edit.

Pinout for /dev/ttyS2

Last edited by jneumann; 02-21-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #168
Gfr0ehrer

My Ride: e46 M3
Auto Launch Tether App

I installed Tasker from the market on my droid. I have it launch the mobile hotspot app whenever my bluetooth connects to the dynavin. This is so much nicer than having to take the phone out everytime I get in the car.
Also, I have a Tasker profile on the Dynavin to launch spotify once the unit connects via WiFi. Once the car is on it only takes a few seconds and I have an internet connected Dynavin running my music.

Tasker has tons of potential, anyone else using it with more profile tips?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #169
tasi333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfr0ehrer View Post
I installed Tasker from the market on my droid. I have it launch the mobile hotspot app whenever my bluetooth connects to the dynavin.
Awesome tip, just installed it, this is going to make life much easier, thanks!

2002 330 Cic Topaz Blue

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #170
Gfr0ehrer

My Ride: e46 M3
Tasker profile. Webtop?

If anyone is interested here are some sample tasker profiles: http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index I just did a basic one to launch maps whenever I'm 25 miles+ from my house/work.

Has anyone tried to get the Droid Bionic Webtop:

(go to about 3:50 to see it in action)

Can you run this through the Dynavin's video in? Looks interesting if the HDMI could be input to the Dynavin through an adapter?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #171
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfr0ehrer View Post
If anyone is interested here are some sample tasker profiles: http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index I just did a basic one to launch maps whenever I'm 25 miles+ from my house/work.

Has anyone tried to get the Droid Bionic Webtop:

(go to about 3:50 to see it in action)

Can you run this through the Dynavin's video in? Looks interesting if the HDMI could be input to the Dynavin through an adapter?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #172
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Just curious, are any Gingerbread, Honeycomb or ICS -based Roms in the works?

I'm about to buy a D99 Android., I wouldn't mind having it rooted and updated, right off the bat.

Thanks.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #173
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-9 SE-L View Post
Just curious, are any Gingerbread, Honeycomb or ICS -based Roms in the works?

I'm about to buy a D99 Android., I wouldn't mind having it rooted and updated, right off the bat.

Thanks.

I'm working on Gingerbread right now, but I don't have the touchscreen working currently. Honeycomb is not going to happen, especially since I don't think the source was ever released for it, and ICS will require an updated kernel, which I've been rather unsuccessful in building as of late.

Root is possible already on Froyo, just grab M3Evo's latest ROM off http://jneumann.net/Baldr

So in short, no promises, but I'm working on it. All my work will be posted up at the above link so if I end up giving up or if you want to have a go at it, be my guest.

All my latest work is uploaded, including some scripts I've been using to make things easier in the tools/ directory, and the 2.6.32 kernel config I extracted from dynavin's latest kernel, in the Gingerbread/ directory.

/dev/ttyS0 - GPS
/dev/ttyS1 - Touchscreen (TI TSC2003 controller)
/dev/ttyS2 - Console
/dev/ttyS3 - ?

Last edited by jneumann; 02-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #174
Fragger

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Not sure if anyone cares or not, but because I had trouble finding a clear cut answer for these questions:

1. Can you use an app like "Torque" on the Android Dynavin? Will it work?

Answer: Yes, I took a chance, ordered all the necessary hardware and pulled the trigger on setting this up, and yes indeed, on my D95 (I believe) Dynavin, along with a Wireless Bluetooth Dongle AND a Bluetooth OBDII Adapter like an ESM327... Torque does indeed work ! Although, due to the lack of hardware power on the Dynavin, it is slow! It does look cool though, very similar to the digital gauges found on the Nissan GT-R Console !

2. Yes, offline maps work fine, with the app installed on Dynavin and Maps on the SD Card. I am using CoPilot Premium successfully ! Others like Sygic and iGo, and etc. apparently work too... Hope this helps !

Feel free to PM me for any questions or if you need the software !

Peace.
Fragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #175
jneumann

It runs, but not much else at this point...

Digging into the touchscreen issue more, it looks like it may be near impossible to build a custom kernel due to the touchscreen drivers being custom (CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_TIMLL in the kernel config file) and not having the sources from Dynavin, so we're going to have to make do with the provided kernel unless we physically replace the touchscreen with a different unit or somehow tap the 4 lines and hook them into our own controller with a known interface method. The touchscreen *is* serial though, on ttyS1, but I have no idea how one would get it working at this point. I tried sniffing the serial line with the buspirate, but all I got was gibberish at all the 'normal' bus speeds. I'm assuming the TSC2003 controller interfaces with the main processor on the board that determines whether or not the unit is switched to the Android side, and if it is, then forwards on the touchscreen data, otherwise it keeps it and processes itself for the radio side. arghthisisgettingannoying

Last edited by jneumann; 02-26-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #176
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
At some point you have to think it would be easier to just take the plastic molding off and put a tablet in it... or build the molding around a tablet... or solder one together from old radios... or coconuts. I have all the respect in the world for your ambition.

Last edited by Danoff; 02-26-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #177
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
At some point you have to think it would be easier to just take the plastic molding off and put a tablet in it... or build the molding around a tablet... or solder one together from old radios... or coconuts. I have all the respect in the world for your ambition.

Thanks, I was JUST thinking about that actually. Raspberry Pi is about to release their first batch of boards for sale that look like excellent Android boards once someone figures out how to do it (probably won't take too long). Otherwise, a real beagleboard would be nice. Additionally, I've found that the $14 FM radio dongle on Amazon is supported under Linux and there are Android apps that support it.

I'll be honest, I don't use ANY other function on the dynavin other than Android and radio. IBUS functionality probably wouldn't be to difficult to get working either.

Damnit Dynavin, why must you make it so difficult to improve your product!?

Anyways, I'm going back to the Dynavin kernel and trying to get it to boot different versions of Android that way. If that proves unsuccessful, guess I'll go back to random hacks on the stock Froyo build. Blergh.

Well, at this point I may spontaneously loose interest in continuing, so I'll just post everything useful I find in so anyone who wants to try doesn't have to start from fresh.

First off:
From TI's Android 2.3 v1 DevKit prebuilt images:
beagleboard-xm - segfaults as soon as it attempts to load init? I say this because it *must* be executing part of init.rc, or else there would be no initlogo shown.
Code:
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000001c
pgd = cfb40000
[0000001c] *pgd=8fb31031, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1]
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/video4linux/video2/uevent
Modules linked in:
CPU: 0    Not tainted  (2.6.32 #59)
PC is at vfs_kern_mount+0x50/0xa4
LR is at mntput_no_expire+0x20/0x9c
beagleboard-rev-c4 - segfaults in the same place as the xm
Code:
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000001c
pgd = cfb30000
[0000001c] *pgd=8fb2d031, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1]
last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/video4linux/video2/uevent
OMAP35X - see above
Code:
see above
beagleboard-xm with init from stock froyo image results in this and nothing else. eh, slightly different than the above at least.
Code:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
Rowboat's beagleboard-xm Ice Cream Sandwich port - loads the boot screen (!!) but appears to start freaking out over lack of memory, then dies
Code:
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00100104
pgd = cfb90000
[00100104] *pgd=8d90c031, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 817 [#1]
last sysfs file: /sys/power/state

Last edited by jneumann; 02-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #178
Mr_ceee

My Ride: 330CD
Quote:
It runs, but not much else at this point...

Digging into the touchscreen issue more, it looks like it may be near impossible to build a custom kernel due to the touchscreen drivers being custom (CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_TIMLL in the kernel config file) and not having the sources from Dynavin, so we're going to have to make do with the provided kernel unless we physically replace the touchscreen with a different unit or somehow tap the 4 lines and hook them into our own controller with a known interface method. The touchscreen *is* serial though, on ttyS1, but I have no idea how one would get it working at this point. I tried sniffing the serial line with the buspirate, but all I got was gibberish at all the 'normal' bus speeds. I'm assuming the TSC2003 controller interfaces with the main processor on the board that determines whether or not the unit is switched to the Android side, and if it is, then forwards on the touchscreen data, otherwise it keeps it and processes itself for the radio side. arghthisisgettingannoying
That looks promising. I have been thinking about ordering a D99 and have been following your work for a while.

The tsc2003 chip is an i2c device isn't it? Did you try your bus pirate in i2c mode? Do you think that the radio side is relaying the touchscreen data to the android side via serial or do you think they are just switching the lines from the chip when you change source?
Mr_ceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #179
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_ceee View Post
That looks promising. I have been thinking about ordering a D99 and have been following your work for a while.

The tsc2003 chip is an i2c device isn't it? Did you try your bus pirate in i2c mode? Do you think that the radio side is relaying the touchscreen data to the android side via serial or do you think they are just switching the lines from the chip when you change source?
According to various datasheets, yes. I assumed it was serial due to coming in on ttyS1 and because the stock kernel refrenced it as "input: Timll Serial TouchScreen as /devices/virtual/input/input0". I did not try the bus pirate in i2c mode, only serial. I honestly don't know a whole lot about i2c, I gave up where I did because I don't even know where to start in hacking together a touchscreen driver for it even if I could figure out what was being output on ttyS1. ttyS1 is the pin directly below the "8" where it says "Dynavin-GPS 100801" near the bottom of the board.

And yeah, I've googled my ass off looking for any indication of what the hell "Timll Serial TouchScreen" is. The only thing TimLL makes close to this that is touchscreen enabled is the Devkit8000, which uses a different touchscreen driver/interface.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #180
Mikecom32

My Ride: Blk '05 330Xi 6spd
Send a message via AIM to Mikecom32
Quote:
According to various datasheets, yes. I assumed it was serial due to coming in on ttyS1 and because the stock kernel refrenced it as "input: Timll Serial TouchScreen as /devices/virtual/input/input0". I did not try the bus pirate in i2c mode, only serial. I honestly don't know a whole lot about i2c, I gave up where I did because I don't even know where to start in hacking together a touchscreen driver for it even if I could figure out what was being output on ttyS1. ttyS1 is the pin directly below the "8" where it says "Dynavin-GPS 100801" near the bottom of the board.

And yeah, I've googled my ass off looking for any indication of what the hell "Timll Serial TouchScreen" is. The only thing TimLL makes close to this that is touchscreen enabled is the Devkit8000, which uses a different touchscreen driver/interface.
Looking at Timll's website, it looks like they probably provided the OEM boards, which were probably built to spec. My guess is that a touchscreen controller was spec'd for the unit.

I'm a bit late to the party, but it seems there are some other boards that support touchscreens. (e.g. http://www.armkits.com/download/SBC2440-III_IV.pdf) It seems armkits.com is their English site, which has seemingly much more information. You could also try reaching out to them for info, as I'm sure the touch screen interface wasn't proprietary for Dynavin.
Mikecom32 is offline   Reply With Quote