E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #41
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
most likely i will wait til april for the new headers from anthony
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #42
e46hellrot

My Ride: e46
Anybody put heatshield near the headers ? Will be installing bimmer brakes soon!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #43
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
I just cut the heat shield and wrapped the headers

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #44
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
o2 sensor fitment, flanges not being aligned, also the fact that they seem very flimsy, sloppy welds, only the outside of the pipes are welded. Compared to bimmerbrakes, they are trash.

Ive installed all, ebay, bimmerbrakes, and technik gen 3
The bimmer brakes weren't welded on the inside, they used a dremel/grinding tool to try and fix it. Something anyone could do in a few minutes. I can't say I've had any of the issues you are presenting. I'd be happy to take some pictures of my ebays that have none of the issues you are stating. Only need 2 bungs to work out the 4. No point in using the rear 02's. As you will have a check engine light with/without them installed. When I did this mod, I made money! I still had to remove the heat shield on the passenger side motor mount with bimmer brakes headers. How long ago did you buy your ebay headers? Maybe since I've bought mine they have gone down in quality? EDIT: Further more the thread that held the pictures of the flanges of BB headers. Has been edited so we can't even see those pictures. B/C of the huge amount of flaming that was present. If you continue to read that thread, he will get more and more honest as it goes. Then went on to sell them. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+review&page=2 enjoy! Post #13 Edited. I also want to add, within days the gaskets that came with the BB headers. Failed between the mid section/headers. It was replaced with OEM. Now the gaskets that go between the headers and the block have failed. This isn't an easy in and out. These headers were installed on a 330xi. (no room) This is not a jab. stab, personal attack on anyone. I did the install for a friend, he already had to drop the exhaust. Now it all has to be redone. Painful experience on my end.

Last edited by xixixi; 02-02-2012 at 07:57 AM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #45
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Most every e46 header install is painfull even in the best situation. Any minor issue with the headers can cause interfereance or possibly a leak requiring removal and reinstallation. It is certainly not a pleasent job for a novice mechanic. But if you prepare with the right tools,new studs if needed and oem gaskets you have the odds in your favor. Maybe that is why super sprint and active's headers demand such a high price. Possibly for the confidence of fitment the first time every time. But when its my money I am willing to take the chance to save $1000 on this part anyday.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
The bimmer brakes weren't welded on the inside, they used a dremel/grinding tool to try and fix it. Something anyone could do in a few minutes. I can't say I've had any of the issues you are presenting. I'd be happy to take some pictures of my ebays that have none of the issues you are stating. Only need 2 bungs to work out the 4. No point in using the rear 02's. As you will have a check engine light with/without them installed. When I did this mod, I made money! I still had to remove the heat shield on the passenger side motor mount with bimmer brakes headers. How long ago did you buy your ebay headers? Maybe since I've bought mine they have gone down in quality? EDIT: Further more the thread that held the pictures of the flanges of BB headers. Has been edited so we can't even see those pictures. B/C of the huge amount of flaming that was present. If you continue to read that thread, he will get more and more honest as it goes. Then went on to sell them. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...+review&page=2 enjoy! Post #13 Edited. I also want to add, within days the gaskets that came with the BB headers. Failed between the mid section/headers. It was replaced with OEM. Now the gaskets that go between the headers and the block have failed. This isn't an easy in and out. These headers were installed on a 330xi. (no room) This is not a jab. stab, personal attack on anyone. I did the install for a friend, he already had to drop the exhaust. Now it all has to be redone. Painful experience on my end.
Actually the inside of the pipes were welded, atleast on the top part. And just like any headers you get, you should use oem gaskets everyone knows that. If you didn't listen to almost everyone on the forum lol, sorry man that was you mistake.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #47
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Actually the inside of the pipes were welded, atleast on the top part. And just like any headers you get, you should use oem gaskets everyone knows that. If you didn't listen to almost everyone on the forum lol, sorry man that was you mistake.

Sent from my SGH-T959V
This wasn't my car or my money. I would have went with oem and ebays just like I did on my car I can assure you I begged this man to use oem gaskets. It was his choice on the gaskets. Perhaps they shouldn't include them with the headers. Think if someone paid for an install 500 bucks, gaskets blow out, throw another 550 to get it fixed. Then add BB starting price. Super Sprints? Any pictures of the said welds?

Last edited by xixixi; 02-02-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #48
darksideracer69

I've seen 3 pairs of ebay headers from varying years, I got mine maybe 4-5 years ago, which is the oldest set I have seen.

I have no doubt that some people will actually get some headers from eBay that fit good, but still the mis aligned collector flange is usually always there. Also the chance of them getting headers that fit is very slim.

IMAG02051

Last edited by darksideracer69; 02-02-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #49
xixixi
Banned User

Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #50
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I've seen 3 pairs of ebay headers from varying years, I got mine maybe 4-5 years ago, which is the oldest set I have seen.

I have no doubt that some people will actually get some headers from eBay that fit good, but still the mis aligned collector flange is usually always there. Also the chance of them getting headers that fit is very slim.
Agreed, but still cheaper to get ebays put em on. Have them modified.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #51
darksideracer69

Quote:
This wasn't my car or my money. I would have went with oem and ebays just like I did on my car I can assure you I begged this man to use oem gaskets. It was his choice on the gaskets. Perhaps they shouldn't include them with the headers. Think if someone paid for an install 500 bucks, gaskets blow out, throw another 550 to get it fixed. Then add BB starting price. Super Sprints? Any pictures of the said welds?
Yea, man but come on. If your installing the headers on someone's car, and you charge them to do it, cause its definitely not a fun or easy job. You have to get the oem gaskets, no questions asked. If that person didn't want to get the oem gaskets, I wouldn't install them SERIOUSLY. I mean you can get all the gasket for less 80 shipped from ecs, that's a lot cheaper than having to pay 500 to install new gaskets.

I installed j_blocks bb headers, and I told him to get oem gaskets, had to wait a little longer than a week to reschedule the install. But atleast this way, he should get a trouble free enjoyable experience from his bb headers.

And no I didn't take any pics of the upper header flange on the BB headers. But I assure you, they are welded and grinded down, for a smooth flow.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Yea, man but come on. If your installing the headers on someone's car, and you charge them to do it, cause its definitely not a fun or easy job. I charged 1 foot long sub, from subway.You have to get the oem gaskets, no questions asked. If that person didn't want to get the oem gaskets, I wouldn't install them SERIOUSLY. I 100% agree, you still can't force someone to do something they don't want to do.I mean you can get all the gasket for less 80 shipped from ecs, that's a lot cheaper than having to pay 500 to install new gaskets. 100% agree

I installed j_blocks bb headers, and I told him to get oem gaskets, had to wait a little longer than a week to reschedule the install. But atleast this way, he should get a trouble free enjoyable experience from his bb headers.

And no I didn't take any pics of the upper header flange on the BB headers. But I assure you, they are welded and grinded down, for a smooth flow. I wonder if anyone has some laying around? Pictures? What I saw, was a surface that was ground down. If there were any welds they were almost 100% ground off. I saw several gaps along the header to head flange.

Sent from my SGH-T959V
Wish the previous pictures weren't taken down Point being on the gaskets if they are worthless why include them?

Last edited by xixixi; 02-02-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #53
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I'm putting my confidence and faith in Bimmerbrakes when I do headers later this year. I just wish they offered direct replacements for the 323/328

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #54
darksideracer69

Quote:
Wish the previous pictures weren't taken down Point being on the gaskets if they are worthless why include them?
I wonder if the more expensive headers like, Technik or super sprint came with their own gaskets, or oem gaskets.

ANYONE HAVE ANY BB HEADERS AT HOME POST UP SOME PICS. ALSO SOME EBAY HEADERS!

ANTHONY IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS OF THE UPPER HEADER FLANGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I'm putting my confidence and faith in Bimmerbrakes when I do headers later this year. I just wish they offered direct replacements for the 323/328
I might get some of the equal length ones, just for fun.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #55
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
BimmerBrakes headers fit perfectly to my knowledge. Mine got a little distorted when being coated at Jet-Hot due to the insanely high temperatures they cook them at, but it ended up not being a problem. I just needed to add a small piece of curved pipe (VERY gentle bend as to not interrupt airflow). All worked out nicely, I gained some power (definitely can feel it), and it has a nice sound at higher RPM's.

Plus, if you ask politely, I can get you 5% off.

EDIT: You WILL want to buy OEM header gaskets. The heat shield was cut off mine, though, just for space reasons. I also invested in new stud bolts and nuts as a "just in case" precaution. LocTite was liberally applied to said stud bolts and nuts to ensure there were no leaks. After a couple thousand miles, I still don't have any leaks.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 02-02-2012 at 09:43 AM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #56
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I wonder if the more expensive headers like, Technik or super sprint came with their own gaskets, or oem gaskets.

ANYONE HAVE ANY BB HEADERS AT HOME POST UP SOME PICS. ALSO SOME EBAY HEADERS!

ANTHONY IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS OF THE UPPER HEADER FLANGE.

I might get some of the equal length ones, just for fun.

Sent from my SGH-T959V
To answer your question. Super Sprint does not supply gaskets with their headers. They are designed to use OEM gaskets. They supply you with no gaskets. You need to acquire the oems on your own.

Last edited by xixixi; 02-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #57
darksideracer69

Quote:
To answer your question. Super Sprint does not supply gaskets with their headers. They are designed to use OEM gaskets. They supply you with no gaskets. You need to acquire the oems on your own.
Well there you go. OEM gaskets only!

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #58
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Well there you go. OEM gaskets only!

Sent from my SGH-T959V
Using that logic, would you assume these headers were designed to be used with the supplied gaskets?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #59
darksideracer69

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
BimmerBrakes headers fit perfectly to my knowledge. Mine got a little distorted when being coated at Jet-Hot due to the insanely high temperatures they cook them at, but it ended up not being a problem. I just needed to add a small piece of curved pipe (VERY gentle bend as to not interrupt airflow). All worked out nicely, I gained some power (definitely can feel it), and it has a nice sound at higher RPM's.

Plus, if you ask politely, I can get you 5% off.

EDIT: You WILL want to buy OEM header gaskets. The heat shield was cut off mine, though, just for space reasons. I also invested in new stud bolts and nuts as a "just in case" precaution. LocTite was liberally applied to said stud bolts and nuts to ensure there were no leaks. After a couple thousand miles, I still don't have any leaks.
Yea, what is it 800-900 degrees.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #60
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Yea, what is it 800-900 degrees.

Sent from my SGH-T959V
I think it's closer to 1,000F.

And I just got pictures of BimmerBrakes' newest header prototype. It's an individual tube you assemble for each port that collects into a single or double exhaust outlet. You choose which one you want to use.

>>>Check these bad boys out!<<<

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 02-02-2012 at 10:02 AM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote