E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Canadian Salvage Build + Custom Widebody

I've been a member on here for some time now, but haven't actually posted anything about my own car. Mostly lurked around soaking in knowledge on the e46 and bought up a bunch of parts haha. I grew up in the repair industry and had a few projects before this one. So this wasn't my first rodeo when it came to paint and body. The car is cosmetically done right now (custom wide body) so this thread will be of the build from when I purchased it as an insurance write off, to its current state with extra wide wheel arches inspired by OSS (the first wheels were courtesy of Chase (2000_328ci)).

The the engine bit is a slow work in progress right now, and the plan is for boost (thanks to Hobbit382, Daniel_f and of course PEI330ci).

So without sidetracking too much I'll start off the thread with the before pictures, and add the rest over the next few days.

First day when I bought the car and it arrived at the old shop.

(shitty camera phone pics from a Palm Treo 650, yes this was a while ago I was still in university)

Some better stuff taken by a friend

Disassembly

I'll put some more pics up tomorrow of the car being pulled straight on the frame machine.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 02-23-2016 at 03:16 PM.
autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
autospeed_01

Couldn't resist here's a few of the car on the frame rack.

A blurry one, but still the first pull.

Plate bolted to the shock tower, for the remainder of the straightening.

Nothing fancy, just a thick piece of steel cut with an Oxy-Acetylene torch to match the upper shock mount pattern

Old 02-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Doesn't pulling out the frame like that weaken it?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
autospeed_01

Nope, the whole car is clamped into place on the frame machine and the bent sections are pulled into place with the hydraulic ram. The ram has to be positioned properly of course otherwise you'll pull/stretch in the wrong direction. (This is was also on Gas Monkey Garage when they fixed the written off F40, that was a really elaborate set up (bigger $$$ than most places I've seen)).

We slowly pulled the shock tower back into place, making sure the under-hood measurements were to original spec (provided by the dealership). Then (since my upper frame rail was beat up badly) cut out the old upper frame rail (where the fender bolts to) and the front of the wheel housing. I'll post up some more pictures later today of the process.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 02-23-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Doesn't pulling out the frame like that weaken it?
yes. body shops can align the panels back to "spec" but spec is just a measurement. as soon as any metal on the car takes a hit it is instantly weakened. that's the characteristics of metals.
think of a coke can. in perfect form it can probably support your weight. but if you crush it and then roll it back to it's original shape it will be incredibly weak. yes it still has the same shape and measurements as a new can but the metal has lost it's structural integrity.

most shops will try to argue against this but they are wrong.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
peytonracer4

even the rear frame of the car is now weaker than it was when new. that's because modern cars use a unibody chassis that is designed to channel forces through the main frame rails to the rear of the car. this reduces shock to the passengers in a crash. because the ENTIRE chassis experienced this shock the ENTIRE chassis is now weaker.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
autospeed_01

That's why there's non repairable, vs written-off but repairable. Shops aren't wrong, because if the vehicle was that unsafe it wouldn't be allowed back on the road at all (there are rules to this). Like any industry there's good workmanship and bad, and the repair industry wouldn't exist if everything repaired was "weaker" and unsafe. Your coke can analogy works in the event the whole car is crunched from a severe hit (in those cases the car is only good for parts and not allowed to be repaired). The coke can is also more or less one single piece. Modern cars are built in sections which are designed to be repaired. Just about everything can be purchased from the dealership with a blown up diagram for every section (like those seen on realoem). The various crumple zones are divided into sections and can be repaired by cutting and welding in new sections. By your logic any car that has rear subframe cracks now risks the engine falling out in the front from the shock of the subframe twisting... The actual frame rails that make up the major structure weren't damaged (they're straight in the pictures), nor was the vehicle cabin/anything past the firewall. If those had been damaged it'd be classified as "parts only" and I wouldn't be repairing it. The metal that was crumpled (as you described) gets cut out and replaced with new as seen below.

Back to the build;

So after the first pulls, took measurements and everything had lined up. But the upper frame rail had a kink in it decided to drill out the spot welds and chop it out. It was stubborn so the air chisel came out for any pain in the ass welds and the cut off wheel to take it out in sections.

Upper rail and front of the wheel housing chopped out. To be replaced.

What was left.

Take some measurements

New parts!!

Clamped and mocked up in place

Radiator Support bolted in to see fitment

Last edited by autospeed_01; 02-24-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
GotZHP

My Ride: '04 BMW 330i ZHP
Damn, good luck with the build. Body work is far beyond my skill set unfortunately. Seems like you have the shop and tools for the job.

http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1096657
GotZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
autospeed_01

Thanks for the positive words. I got lucky that my most of my family were in the business. So growing up with a dad who's a body man/mechanic with a shop helped me learn a ton. I'll post some more pics later tonight.

If you want to learn I'm sure there's courses in your area, our local technical college puts on courses as well that are awesome for beginners welding (mig/tig), auto maintenance and even body work. Easy way to figure out if you like something before investing in the tools yourself, especially with welding.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 02-23-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
autospeed_01

Mock up to test panel gaps before making anything permanent. (still just clamps holding things underneath)

The hood and bumper were courtesy of some fellow fanatics(euro bumper with no reflectors).

Headlights were also from mainland Europe and had the city lights bulbs inside as well.

Last edited by autospeed_01; 02-24-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
Awesome!!
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
Ojai330i

My Ride: 330i Slick Top & X5
Go man go! You are doing it up proper.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #13
autospeed_01

Time for welding, so in the new piece I drilled small holes and plug welded the upper frame rail, and new front wheel housing.

Seam sealer after the welds,

Primed with the same color to match the oem

Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
autospeed_01

Also forgot to mention that the new front radiator support had come in, and that is bolted up in the above pictures. The old one was in the mangled up pile of parts seen in the first post.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #15
peytonracer4

I like the seam sealer and primer. Looking good.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #16
mr_vys

My Ride: e46 330d M-Sport Trg
Top effort mate!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #17
autospeed_01

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Radiator end tank was cracked so took that out

Hood

Damaged in shipping by idiot shipping company that stood it on its ends, even though it was labeled to not..

Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #18
autospeed_01

Fixed

The black was the aluminum etching primer, and then came the high solids primer. The suppliers only had it in white at the time which was kinda shitty given the car was going to painted black lol.

Assembled sorta (passenger side hinge for the hood hadn't come in yet so it's still not aligned correctly here).

Old 02-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
Inema69

My Ride: 2003 325i
Nice work!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
tuscan1205

My Ride: 325CI
Wish I had an oem hood. nice work!

'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote