E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
m4martin

Tech Help needed. 330d engine swap starts but no throttle at all

Hi all.

Car is a 2000 e46 330d auto with M57 180hp

1)Original engine all ran ok until head gasket failure.

2)Decided to swap engine.

3)Engine doner vehicle was a 2000 E39 auto with M57 180hp.

4)i listened to doner engine running in E39 perfect before swap.

5) parts transferred with doner engine were:

A)injectors

B)crank sensor

C)cam sensor

D)MAF sensor

E)Oil level Sensor

F)HIgh Pressure Fuel Pump with electrical sensor

G)Fuel Rail with rail pressure sensor.

6) Parts retained from original E46 are:

A) Engine wiring harness

B) Water temp sensor for head

C) Alternator

D) turbo assembly with pressure valve actuator. Turbo rebuilt with new core and VGT vanes all cleaned, and vacuum actuator all checked good.

E) Oil filter assembly

F) Inlet manifold with MAP sensor and swirlflap actuator vacuum solenoid.

G) air con compressor

H) Complete radiator assy with temp sensors and attached electrical bits.

I) Starter motor

J) Everything that was attached to the engine bay rather than the engine.

PROBLEM SYMPTOMS

1) with everything connected, engine starts but very lumpy idle then stops, with no throttle response at all.

2)disconnect vacuum line from EGR Valve, engine starts perfect, runs evenly on six cylinders at 800rpm for approx three seconds then revs drop to about 400rpm, still evenly, but absolutely no response from throttle pedal. Engine will stall eventually from revs too low.

3) oil pressure lights all good, and brand new battery fitted to car.

TRIED

1) cam sensor swap

2)MAF sensor swap

3)all vacuum lines checked and connections validated correct.

I have not yet tried to read any ECU fault codes.

All the electrical parts from both cars were all working fine before the swap,

Why oh why won't it run!!! The mechanical parts should all be good and compatible.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeese!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
m4martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
DieselFan

Well the first step should be to have the codes read.

While they are the same engine the ECU differs. The e39 should be around 140kw and the e46 is 135kw. If this makes a difference I have no idea. But get your codes read.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
beemernee

My Ride: 320d touring
Code the MAF to the new set up .
beemernee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
m4martin

Hi beemernee.

I did try installing the original e46 MAF but made no difference, so I currently have the E39 version attached.

Do you know for sure that they are coded to the ECU. Would that explain the no response from the throttle pedal?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
beemernee

My Ride: 320d touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4martin View Post
Hi beemernee.

I did try installing the original e46 MAF but made no difference, so I currently have the E39 version attached.

Do you know for sure that they are coded to the ECU. Would that explain the no response from the throttle pedal?

Possibly I think it depends on model and age of system , plenty say a replacement MAF needs coding , with a no response at all from pedal its worth checking the the pedal sender , I know it worked before but things change lol in an install . Double check the wiring install and get it plugged in and you'll know for sure .
beemernee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
m4martin

I have now installed the original e46 fuel rail with pressure sensor and also the maf sensor. The bosch cp1 fuel pump is from the e39, but I believe it fits all models. The engine starts for a few seconds then dies as if fuel delivery is shut down. As yet I cannot access ECU fault codes. I wonder if ECU has stored fault code would it not run engine until codes are cleared ??

Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
DieselFan

No the point of codes is to possibly pinpoint what is wrong with the car. Stop wasting time and have the codes read. Clear them see what stays and look into that.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
m4martin

Hi diesel fan
I appreciate what you say.
I have bought BMW diagnostic software with lead , and two other generic diag software , and have three obd leads. There is a software issue with the BMW software that is being investigated, and all of my other leads and software don't work on the car. I will investigate a tried and tested scan tool, but at this point I don't have one to check faults. I totally agree it's the way forward, but until I get the scan, all I can do is refit as much of the original electronics as possible. I'm desperately trying to get the car scanned, but it's not mobile.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
DieselFan

I see, what software are you using? INPA?

What do you mean there is an issue with the bmw software? The cars software?

Is there no one in the area that can help you or a local mechanic that lives near by that can come after hours to get the car read?

You're basically looking for a needle in a haystack just switching out parts like that.

Just a thought but since you said that when you disconnected the EGR valve it ran fine then revs dropped extremely low. Have you checked the egr valve maybe it's completely blocked suffocating the engine? Also maybe stuck in the open position. It could cause all sorts to go wrong.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
m4martin

Hi,
Yes BMW inpa.
Issue is that it runs using vm ware virtual machine workstation to run using my windows pc.
It is a 60page installalling manual supplied by BMW diagnostic on good old eBay. There is a software mismatch with the vm file we are trying to get sorted. We will get there in the end but it's complicated to set up.
As far as needle and haystack issue, I agree again but it's all i can come up with at this point. Mobile techies want me to transport car to their workshops and that can mean big costs, which I don't wish to risk.
As soon as I mention the engine swap from the doner e39 into an e46 they suck through their teeth.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
DieselFan

Alright and have you checked the egr?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
m4martin

I have tried both egr valves from e39 and e46 and they are both clean. I've also heard them both run individually on in their respective cars. In fact it's very frustrating knowing that both cars ran well until the e46 failed head gasket. It's only the engine swap that has caused an error. Must be an error code logged. I suspect it was the differing maf sensors that caused it. Time will tell, when I finally get it scanned. Thanks for trying.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #13
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
listen up. everybody just shut up for a second. first off, the m57 3.0 diesel came with 2 different 3.0 engines for both body styles. i'm assuming you aren't sure which one was in either ones do you? ok so let's say you don't. thats fine, not the end of the world. maybe you can get lucky by flashing the DME version of one or the other and see which one works better, which will also reset the adaptations for how the engine runs with all its components together to allow it to relearn from scratch.

now that's if you're lucky. now the question you gotta ask is, do you feel lucky? I could be wrong but I'm going to guess that there can't be anyway the engine harness for both are the same. your damn car could even have the same amount of wires in the harness but BMW changed where they go between the 2 body styles. to confirm this, you need to find out the exact engine you had last, find out the exact engine in that e39, and to go bmwplanet and pour over its wiring diagrams and make comparisons with fuse locations and all that crap.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

let's also take the petrol engines for example. the 330 and the 530. nearly identical but the 330 produces a bit more power. the dme maps would be different and would require flashing the DME>
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 09-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
DieselFan

Lol. They are the same engine different mapping.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

ah, so then his solution may be to first try with adaptation resets. if that doesn't work, flash the correct DME maps and then adaptation resets.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #17
DieselFan

It's not quite as simple as just flashing the 530d maps onto the 330d.

The first step should be reading the codes. But he knows this already.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 AM   #18
NumbaOneNewb

also mr diesel expert, go here http://www.bmwheaven.com/database/engine.php?type=M57

explain to me how a huge chunk of those m57 3.0 displacement diesel engines could really all be the same damn engine with huge increases in HP
Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #19
DieselFan

I'll ignore the condescending tone but here we go.

He has a 2000 330d which is a 135kw variety. All e39 530d are 142kw. Same engine. Different mapping. 7kw is nothing and the 330d is probably faster because of its weight.

Last edited by DieselFan; 09-20-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #20
DieselFan

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1411209294327.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	574302