E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 195 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #2061
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Taking apart the rubber intake manifold hoses while looking for cracks in them gives you a perfect opportunity to clean the MAF, ICV, DISA Valve, and the throttle body. They are all in the same area and all connect to each other. As a matter of fact I'm planning on giving mine a clean sometime soon when I get around to replacing the clogged up and leaky, but still functional, CCV.
Ceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #2062
drummr8

My Ride: Steel Grey 02 330Ci
Can anyone refer me to a post that describes how to go about recoding a module? I need to replace my SRS module and recode the new one... How is this done?

thanks
drummr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #2063
hisport

My Ride: 01 M3 Vert
Cool Should I buy???: BMW Scanner 1.4.0 / Car Diagnostic Interface Tool Code Reader

I'd like to get a low cost E46 diagnostic setup which is close to "plug and play"

Is the "BMW Scanner 1.4.0 / Car Diagnostic Interface Tool Code Reader" for about $32 the one to buy?

Like to diagnose my 2001 M3 DCS system, that's all. Figure out why the DCS light comes on (eg,, is it the yaw sensor?)
hisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #2064
Squiddie

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post
The BMW scanner I just received will not read the DME.
I've tried withthe key in pos 1 and 2 with no luck.

What # pin on these units read the DME?
Do pins 1&2 need to be soldered together and
are pins 7 & 8 supposed to be together?
Mine has 2 wires connected to #8 but not jumpered together.
There is nothing on pin 7.

Please help.
Don't just refer me to the 72 pages on the scanner.
I didn't see direct confirmation of this so I thought I post an update. I had the same condition, scanning works fine but no DME and no steering etc.

In my scanner this was fixed by soldering 7 & 8 together. Now it read and reset DME just fine.

Alternatively, the basic engine error lights codes can be read with a $15 blutooth scanner using a cellphone and e.g. the torque app. I don't think I got better information out of the computer than out the phone for this error, just a different code number that gooles out to pretty much the same thing.

Last edited by Squiddie; 08-24-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Squiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #2065
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Anyone getting the ZCS/FA reading error upon startup? I can't seem to access the IKE. It recognizes the IKE but when you click on it, it gives an error. I can access and read/clear errors/recode the DME, EGS, ABS, LCM, SRS, ZKE, EWS etc. - basically all the modules except for IKE.

Already tried it on a friend's E46, same thing. ZCS/FA reading error. Also tried a different laptop. Ni dice. It's really weird because when I got the scanner 2 years ago, I could access the IKE and even got to change some settings (km/L from L/100km, changed the service interval). I really need to access the IKE to turn off the gear indicator after my auto to manual swap in a couple of weeks. Help!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #2066
gUMMO414

My Ride: BMW M5 E39
I've just ordered and received a BMW Scanner 1.4 and I'm in deep ****. My CD doesn't work on any computer where I've tried it.

Do anyone know if you can download the software?
gUMMO414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #2067
robin325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gUMMO414 View Post
I've just ordered and received a BMW Scanner 1.4 and I'm in deep ****. My CD doesn't work on any computer where I've tried it.

Do anyone know if you can download the software?
Here you go: http://download.xcar360.com/BMW-SCANNER-1.4.0.zip
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #2068
nekholm

My Ride: '01 325xiA touring
Could anyone tell me if these functions can be changed using this software:
  1. Open whole trunk instead of rear window (touring) by pressing the button on the key. Better yet would be short press window, long press trunk.
  2. Short hold open/close on the key fully opens/closes the windows, so you don't have to keep it pressed until they're open/closed.
  3. Not really sure how to explain this.. But when I press the button that blows warm air on the windshield, it's either on or off. On my previous E46, a -02 sedan, I could adjust the speed of the "fan", but on my current -01 touring, it switches off when I try to do it.
nekholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #2069
gUMMO414

Okay, so I've now got BMW Scanner 1.4 up and running smoothly. I read and cleared all codes and then took it for a drive. Last night i read codes again and got the following errors. Anyone got a clue where I can read what the codes mean.

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> Shadow-memory:
2D/00 - EDK servomotor
2D/00 - EDK servomotor
10/00 - Signal, crankshaft sensor
10/00 - Signal, crankshaft sensor

A/C -> 0A/44 - AUC sensor

LRA -> 02/01 - Error front sensor
01/16 - Signal error

# SCAN END
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help please!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #2070
gUMMO414

Bump?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #2071
robin325ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
Anyone getting the ZCS/FA reading error upon startup? I can't seem to access the IKE. It recognizes the IKE but when you click on it, it gives an error. I can access and read/clear errors/recode the DME, EGS, ABS, LCM, SRS, ZKE, EWS etc. - basically all the modules except for IKE.

Already tried it on a friend's E46, same thing. ZCS/FA reading error. Also tried a different laptop. Ni dice. It's really weird because when I got the scanner 2 years ago, I could access the IKE and even got to change some settings (km/L from L/100km, changed the service interval). I really need to access the IKE to turn off the gear indicator after my auto to manual swap in a couple of weeks. Help!
Just an update. It turns out my cluster is the culprit. I disconnected and reconnected the plugs at the back of the cluster, and after that it no longer worked. All gauges were dead, along with the LCD display, indicator lights. Only lights that worked were the handbrake and srs lights.

Good thing I was able to have the cluster fixed, otherwise it would have cost me upwards of $1,200 for a new cluster. So if anyone here has had the same ZCS/FA reading error on PaSoft, be warned that your cluster is dying. My thread is located here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1#post16320719
Old 09-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #2072
HoodedLime

My Ride: E46 328Ci
Hi everyone. I just registered here as I'm looking for an advice. I've bought a scanner off ebay and I have spent most part of todays to get it running with no luck. Tried it on 2 different laptops both running Win 8.1 x64. Got drivers that are supposed to work and when I start the program it confirms drivers are installed. I have also tried it on virtual Windows XP with the same result. I'm starting to think that actual scanner may be faulty as nothing happens when I connect it to USB 2.0 port, doesn't try to install it or anything, can't see it at all. Now when I connect it to USB 3.0 port it pops up as a faulty hardware and won't accept any drivers. On virtual XP doesn't see it at all, no matter which port is used. Will try to get it replaced but I wonder if anyone had similar problem? Thanks
HoodedLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #2073
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedLime View Post
Hi everyone. I just registered here as I'm looking for an advice. I've bought a scanner off ebay and I have spent most part of todays to get it running with no luck. Tried it on 2 different laptops both running Win 8.1 x64. Got drivers that are supposed to work and when I start the program it confirms drivers are installed. I have also tried it on virtual Windows XP with the same result. I'm starting to think that actual scanner may be faulty as nothing happens when I connect it to USB 2.0 port, doesn't try to install it or anything, can't see it at all. Now when I connect it to USB 3.0 port it pops up as a faulty hardware and won't accept any drivers. On virtual XP doesn't see it at all, no matter which port is used. Will try to get it replaced but I wonder if anyone had similar problem? Thanks
Make sure that the OBD2 connector is plugged in to the car, and the your ignition is turned to position 2 or the car is on. the scanner gets its power from the car, and not the USB port.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #2074
HoodedLime

I have tried that, made no difference.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #2075
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedLime View Post
I have tried that, made no difference.

Did you open the program before or after you plugged it in the car and turned the key?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #2076
HoodedLime

I have tried both. I've read all the guides I could find. Most people are having problems with it connecting to car or installing drivers but mine is not being recognised by laptop at all. WinXP doesn't see it at all and Win8.1 finds it only on USB 3.0 port as corrupted hardware and won't let me do anything with it :/

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #2077
booey23

My Ride: 03' 325I
So i tried to use the pa soft to turn off my drls and enable my clown nose but i came across a problem. Everything listed underneath egs options were not black and was locked. How can i unlock this so i can use the pa soft?
i was on this menu:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1540/mainya.jpg

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #2078
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by booey23 View Post
so i tried to use the pa soft to turn off my drls and enable my clown nose but i came across a problem. Everything listed underneath egs options were not black and was locked. How can i unlock this so i can use the pa soft?
I was on this menu:
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1540/mainya.jpg

thanks!
Booey23.....In my PAsoft 1.4 program, you can not turn off your DRL's in the EGS (electronic gearbox Control) you'll need to go to the LCM (light Check Module) & go to "light coding" see attachment; The "uncheck" the 2nd box down from the top "Daytime running light"; then 'click' WRITE. The lights should go out then.

As for the "Clown Nose"..This is in the ZKE section. Open the coding section and see if the Antitheft system (DWA) has a check in any of the boxes. If there are, try unchecking DWA box & any others then click WRITE. This should remove it (I think) Even mine is checked but I don't think it was installed at the factory as I can not activate the Acoustics for Arming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW LMC Light Coding.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	574766

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW ZKG Alarm Coding.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	574773

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bimmernut3; 09-23-2014 at 07:25 PM.
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #2079
booey23

My Ride: 03' 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Booey23.....In my PAsoft 1.4 program, you can not turn off your DRL's in the EGS (electronic gearbox Control) you'll need to go to the LCM (light Check Module) & go to "light coding" see attachment; The "uncheck" the 2nd box down from the top "Daytime running light"; then 'click' WRITE. The lights should go out then.

As for the "Clown Nose"..This is in the ZKE section. Open the coding section and see if the Antitheft system (DWA) has a check in any of the boxes. If there are, try unchecking DWA box & any others then click WRITE. This should remove it (I think) Even mine is checked but I don't think it was installed at the factory as I can not activate the Acoustics for Arming.

Attachment 574766

Attachment 574773

Oh no i mean everything under DME and EGS (the row going down) is locked or soemthing like that. What im asking is how can i unlock all of the functions so i can disable and enable?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #2080
jjp735i

My Ride: 05 545i & 03 325xi
Sorry to ask this question, but I'm a bit confused. I downloaded PA Soft demo from there site and need a cable for my 2003 325xi. it hooks under the dash. Can someone please direct me to the correct cable.

I see tons of them on Amazon and ebay. Just don't want to get the wrong cable. And will I have to jump pins 7 and 8?

Thank you so much.

jjp
jjp735i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft