E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #321
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Can I use my NCS cable with PA Soft?
NO its not compatible. Please do read the thread, even just a page before this.

PS: If you already have NCS, it has almost all and more of the functionality of PA soft already.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #322
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
NO its not compatible. Please do read the thread, even just a page before this.

PS: If you already have NCS, it has almost all and more of the functionality of PA soft already.
Got it. By page nine I started skimming. I feel like one of those guys that's asks a stupid question without reading the obvious. Thanks for the civil responce.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #323
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Got it. By page nine I started skimming. I feel like one of those guys that's asks a stupid question without reading the obvious. Thanks for the civil responce.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #324
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood516 View Post
I have one for sale... I am running windows 7.. doesn't work and i don't know all that much to go thru the trouble of trying to set up xp as backup O.S or whatever.
how much you selling it for? this is the pa soft one.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #325
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
how much you selling it for? this is the pa soft one.
I still have it, it is BMW 1.40 Pa Soft, I paid $41 shipped. Whovever wants it , i want $50 shipped 2nd day .. $5.35 shipping and pay pal charges, i will just break even. Not looking to make money off anybody. Rememer, this only works on windows Xp or windows 98.. I wish they would have informed me before I ordered it. anybody know if there are any products that will work w/win7? lemme know.. Thx.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #326
Dalmaca

My Ride: 318i
looks like you all using Pa soft.... any got a error code guide?

im using 1.3.6 heres my thread hopfully one of you lot can help me im stuck...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=906528
Dalmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #327
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Hollywoord or anyone else with Win7, has anyone tried Windows XP compatibility mode if your Win7 supports this?? Just curious if it will work with XP Compatibility mode?

I also know some have installed VMWare to run the software as well.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #328
trj

Quote:
I have one for sale... I am running windows 7.. doesn't work and i don't know all that much to go thru the trouble of trying to set up xp as backup O.S or whatever.
It is not because of windows 7 but because you have 64 bit windows 7, that is not letting you install the software properly.
There is a way to do it, but I didn't want to and just installed windows xp in the same computer in Virtual machine.

Its not really difficult but if you have not done such stuff before, it does look complicated.
Also this software works with windows 7, it is not compatible with 64 bit windows 7. 32 but windows 7 works fine.

I don't know how any other coding softwares for our car will work in your computer with 64 bit windows 7. So, I would suggest to install a virtual machine system and install the software or just sell the cable here and find a friend with the same software installed in his computer.
Whatever works for you man.

Last edited by trj; 03-07-2012 at 08:29 AM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #329
Eric Giles

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Quote:
..Rememer, this only works on windows Xp or windows 98.. I wish they would have informed me before I ordered it.
That is incorrect information. The PA Soft cable and software I purchased from xcar360.com works perfectly on Windows 7-as long as it is the 32 bit version and you use the drivers that are located on the mini CD that was supplied with the cable. I have installed it on three different laptops running Windows 7 32bit with no issues at all.

I have not been able to get it to work properly-yet-using the 64 bit version of Windows 7. However, as others have mentioned, a relatively easy workaround is to install Windows XP as a virtual machine on your Windows 7 install and it will work just fine.

And if someone just refuses to install XP as a virtual machine, then there are many, many used laptops very capable of running XP available on ebay for less than $100-and in some cases $50. Would be the perfect solution to have a dedicated used, 'beater' laptop just for car diagnostic work. In fact, this is what I did for a quite a while-I used my ten year old IBM Thinkpad 600X running Windows XP as my diagnostic laptop.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #330
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Also note that in order for the computer to recognize the USB cable to install the drivers, you need to plug the ODBII connector into the car as the chipset in the cable head is powered via the ODBII connector, not the USB port on the computer.

I know many have been caught off guard by this issue.

So do not give up until you have connected the cable up to the car for final driver installation.

Good to hear that 32 bit Win7 works and that is the problem only with 64 bit versions of Windows 7, also assume any version of Windows 64 bit would be an issue, XP, Vista, 7 & soon to be 8.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #331
Shanealan

My Ride: 325i No heatbeat yet
I just ordered mine today from xcar360.com
I can't wait for it to get here and get me back on the road!

Shanealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #332
FenderGuy05

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Got my hardware today but no software included with it? I downloaded the software from the pa soft website for free and used the link on PG 3 I believe to get it working on Win 7 64 bit. Love it so far. A few minutes of dicking around and got an obc retrofit completed and all my alarm components activated and some other random stuff.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #333
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
What I wanna try and figure out is what part of the 64 bit OS doesnt allow the software to work and which part of the software? If its the software not installing properly then this in completly true. When I downloaded the software from the PA website it installed just fine. The only reason I bought the package off of Xcar was to get the cable. When it comes in, all I should have to is plug it in into the car and should be ready. Unless its the driver for the cable itself.

I thought all 32 bit programs could work on 64bit OS since its tech just 32x2. Im sure its more complicated then that but it seems logical.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #334
Mark T.

My Ride: 2003 325it
Someone on Bimmer Forums was able to do it on 64bit. I don't understand it though.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1622061
Mark T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #335
trj

It is doable and I have done it before in the 64 bit, just takes a little reading and make some changes on the .inf files.
People who want to do it, go ahead and try. I didn't want to change any drivers files on the 64 bit because I didn't want to mess up the computer. I work on windows 7 64 bit side, so can't really afford to re-load everything if the drivers files mess up something.

And lakelude90, mathematically yes it is 32x2, but logically its a lot more than that. It all started with binary: 0 and 1. then came the 8 bit and 16 and 32 and 64 and 128 and so on.....
but each time the bit count is increased, its not the just the simple multiplication of the memory slots.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #336
Dalmaca

could anyone shed some light on this please ? i assked but no joy

someone sent me here, maybe you guys might no ?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=#post14157800
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #337
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmaca View Post
could anyone shed some light on this please ? i assked but no joy

someone sent me here, maybe you guys might no ?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=#post14157800
First step is to start using version 1.4, it will provide textual descriptions of the issue.

I searched, but those codes mean anything from fuel mixture and transmission control module, to EEPROM checksum errors. There is no accurate documentation on that code I could find.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #338
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. View Post
Someone on Bimmer Forums was able to do it on 64bit. I don't understand it though.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1622061
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
It is doable and I have done it before in the 64 bit, just takes a little reading and make some changes on the .inf files.
People who want to do it, go ahead and try. I didn't want to change any drivers files on the 64 bit because I didn't want to mess up the computer. I work on windows 7 64 bit side, so can't really afford to re-load everything if the drivers files mess up something.

And lakelude90, mathematically yes it is 32x2, but logically its a lot more than that. It all started with binary: 0 and 1. then came the 8 bit and 16 and 32 and 64 and 128 and so on.....
but each time the bit count is increased, its not the just the simple multiplication of the memory slots.
From what he on there he doesnt seem to be changing anything in the .inf files. It just seems that he had to update the USB hub twice it seems. He does say that on one computer it worked but on another it didnt so who knows what it really does. Im going to try it when I get my package from Xcar.

Unless someone knowx how to set up a virtual box for the 64bit or a dual boot option so I could run xp with it. but I only have Home premium. I think you have to have the one about that idk.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #339
Dalmaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
First step is to start using version 1.4
Hi mate how can i use 1.4 ? i have the v1.3.6 box (serial port) or do i need to buy v1.4 box to go with the software?

heres a screeny of what im getting maybe you can read it better than me.

if its no use is there anything i can do otherwise? (maybe other software that i can use with this lead i have)

also to let you know im using the ROUND adapter not the rectangle one!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #340
Mark T.

My Ride: 2003 325it
My friend installed the software for me on Windows 7 64 bit and everything has loaded in fine. However, I can not get the cable/connecter to work. It keeps saying that the adapter is not plugged in. When I plug it in to the laptop and car, the red light on the device comes on, but that is it.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong?
Mark T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft