E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu teo View Post
i just ordered mine from here $28
$28???
I just checked and its $24.20 just for shipment and $32 for the product. Total 56.20

Were they running some kind of offer?
Also has anyone tested it with mac? virtual box/parallels anyone?

Well, for the piracy discussion: its not piracy, the software is open so anyone can download it, this voids the piracy argument in the software front. If the author was not to distribute it as free software and it was cracked, then it would be piracy. If the author is angry about it, then he should be angry on the distributors of the software who make it available to download it for free(legally).

As for the hardware, its from China, they can make anything cheaper than the original and sell it. There is nothing wrong with it. It is just like knock off watch. It still tells the time and functions same as the original watch. You wear the expensive watch to see the same time.
Don't tell me you buy original iPhone chargers from apple store when you break/loose one. You most probably buy the cheapest one from ebay, which looks and functions the same.
Its not like you are buying inferior food or medicine which has to meet the standards.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #22
eu teo

My Ride: 330xi
Ya they had a sale going on and after I added it to the cart there was an option for free shipping

Sent from my EVO 3D
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #23
trj

Quote:
Ya they had a sale going on and after I added it to the cart there was an option for free shipping

Sent from my EVO 3D
Should've bought then

Edit: Are you sure you did the free shipping for US? Because I just checked and it says "Please choose EMS or HONGKONG POST only if customers are in Russia or Belarus", And only Hongkong post seems like will give the free shipping option.

Last edited by trj; 12-31-2011 at 11:07 AM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #24
eu teo

xcar360.com dont work
anyone know anything ?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
xcar360.com dont work
anyone know anything ?
thats where i got mine. they probably got shut down
Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
I just ordered one yesterday.. try again

I doubt they were shut down, the hardware they're selling isn't illegal.
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #27
eu teo

ya i just ordered two scan tools last week, a bmw one and a ford scan tool too that im going to use at work but idk why out of nowhere it dont work, cuz this morning i was browsing through their website looking at another tool to get, and i just tried to enter on their website at like 2pm and didnt work
i hope everything is ok cuz im still waiting for my scan tools to come in that i ordered last week.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #28
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
So it's not piracy or theft because only half of it is stolen Intellectual Property??
So the software is free copy, but the PA brand scan tool that is a "knock off" or "fake" that's made in China is fully legit???

I guess this must all be on the up and up or thread would have been locked and people would have been banned.
So enjoy
Don't take it personally Alex323Ci, I am a software developer too. But if the software is distributed freely, any hardware manufacturer can use it. Just like linux, you can use linux in any hardware. I agree that its not right for the original owners, but thats how the industry is right now. Isn't it?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
As I recall seeing the open PC board that SpoonerDee put up on another forum... It looks like the PCB is just etched traces to hook up the OBD2 to the USB with a few LEDs to show signal and power.

Heck... I built one for my Porsche, etched the PCB and all... Then soldered on my own components... It definitely isn't rocket science. Just a few LEDs and a resistor or two...

Last edited by Big Rick; 01-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #30
hassmaschine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
As I recall seeing the open PC board that SpoonerDee put up on another forum... It looks like the PCB is just etched traces to hook up the OBD2 to the USB with a few LEDs to show signal and power.

Heck... I built one for my Porsche, etched the PCB and all... Then soldered on my own components... It definitely isn't rocket science. Just a few LEDs and a resistor or two...
yeah, I noticed that too - there's really nothing in there. you could make the entire thing with $10 in supplies from radioshack.. if you were so inclined!

so whatever - if the above poster thinks that making a USB to OBD connector is stealing, he can think that. doesn't make it true, or matter in the end..
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
Big Rick

Now it has me thinking... Can I build my own board? I bet I could!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Now it has me thinking... Can I build my own board? I bet I could!
Has me thinking as well, can we use the OBD2 to USB interface for other car makes, and just use a different program?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
Send a message via ICQ to mxchris727 Send a message via AIM to mxchris727 Send a message via MSN to mxchris727
Jeez, get over it people! If PA-Soft noticed that there was an issue with IP, than they would have sold the software and hardware for money like most companies do. Just realize that when you download software/media from somewhere other than it's original source, you are not giving the programmers/authors their credit and salary.

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Has me thinking as well, can we use the OBD2 to USB interface for other car makes, and just use a different program?
Should be able to.... Worth a shot!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #35
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
Some people on here don't change...I guess that's why I limit my visits!
All the armchair lawyers are too funny!
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #36
eu teo

well anyways xcar360 works again yay!
thank God they didnt close down or something
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
hassmaschine

wow - if you're on the fence with xcar360.com, don't hesitate. The shipping is expensive, but that's because it arrived in.. 2 days! I've ordered stuff direct from china before and it took at least two weeks. Also, I opened it up (yes, it voids the warranty, but after shipping I may as well just buy another one), and it's built really well inside. For $32 I wasn't expecting any kind of quality but it looks well made and designed, inside and out. It read my ECU on the test bench I built just fine. I have another similar OBDII adapter and the quality isn't nearly as good.

There are some other neat products on there that I will be ordering soon as well..

oh yeah, check out what the ECU does when you don't connect anything to it but power and ground:
Quote:
# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> 4F/C8 - Signal, exhaust temp. sensor
69/D8 - Signal, engine temperature, implausible
51/42 - Interface, multifunction steering wheel
76/41 - EDK: signal, potentiometer, throttle
77/41 - EDK: signal, potentiometer, servomotor
3C/42 - Signal, pedal-travel sensor 1
3D/42 - Signal, pedal-travel sensor 2
6A/41 - Signal, brake-light switch
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
85/44 - CAN timeout, steering-angle sensor
89/44 - Valve, suction-jet pump
86/44 - CAN timeout, instrument cluster
8B/48 - Interruption, cruise-control system
2C/44 - Signal, thermal oil-level sensor
E8/84 - Function check, tank-venting system
Shadow-memory:
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
84/44 - CAN timeout DSC
85/44 - CAN timeout, steering-angle sensor
86/44 - CAN timeout, instrument cluster
4F/C8 - Signal, exhaust temp. sensor
lol

Last edited by hassmaschine; 01-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
I've got the xcar360 also BUT I don't have an XP machine!!! Anyone have the solution or made it work with a Vista or 7 machine??? Any help is appreciated!!! Haha
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #39
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccagle View Post
I've got the xcar360 also BUT I don't have an XP machine!!! Anyone have the solution or made it work with a Vista or 7 machine??? Any help is appreciated!!! Haha
I guess you can use it on compatibility mode in windows 7. Right click on .exe->run it on compatibility mode->select xp. Something like that.

I bought one off ebay for $48.00 from US seller, could not wait for shipping from china, but looks like its fast too.
I am going to use it on windows 7 64 bit running on a virtual machine on a mac. So lets see how it goes, any one who used it on this environment?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #40
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I guess you can use it on compatibility mode in windows 7. Right click on .exe->run it on compatibility mode->select xp. Something like that.

I bought one off ebay for $48.00 from US seller, could not wait for shipping from china, but looks like its fast too.
I am going to use it on windows 7 64 bit running on a virtual machine on a mac. So lets see how it goes, any one who used it on this environment?
Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft