E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 164 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #501
wickedindian

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
ok guys, got mine today, just finish activating my alarm light flashing and also headlight, was very easy to do, i used a windows xp laptop everything went ok
wickedindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #502
wickedindian

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
just finish activating my alarm, got flashing lights and also high beam lights as well, also activate door locks when drive off, PA Soft 1.4 works great on window xp.
wickedindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #503
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
I just ordered the kit and now the wait. But I have a question. When the car is put in reverse and the passenger side mirror aims down, can you adjust how far up or down the mirror aims? I have a wagon and it seems the mirror aims too far down. Seems it aims to the bottom of the rear door rather then the wheel. So can I make this adjustment?
I dont think you can. Its either it does it or it doesnt. If you switch the side mirror selector to the other side it wont do it. I have it set that it doesnt just for the fact that it does go to far down. If Im backing up a hill or something like that I will use it but other then that I dont.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #504
slocar

My Ride: 323ci
I read most of the thread in preparation (just ordered the interface and the round 20 pin cable as well), but honestly it's so long pardon me if I missed this somewhere:

1. On a coupe: can the rear pop-out windows be programmed for one-touch operation when closing?

2. Looking at the LCM options; what exactly is the parking lights as they pertain to the US cars ... I want parking lights off, just headlights on on the front end.

3. Is PA soft able to read live data from ABS sensors? I'm having a issue with ABS kicking in at very low speeds (right before I stop): I'd love to see what exactly is happening.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #505
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Wanted to see if I could get some help. I just got my BMW Scanner 1.4 today and I've got a lot of errors and I'm kinda freaking out. Any insight into what they mean? PLEASE HELP!

morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #506
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
i'm not really an expert on the subject but i can tell that

EWS-power on reset: The Battery was disconnected at some point.
IKE-outside temperature sensor: probably needs to be replaced(check if still there as it may be disconnected)
ZKE-Battery voltage: battery was disconnected at some point.

I would reccomend clear all those codes, drive the car for a while and see which one are still present.
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #507
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
i'm not really an expert on the subject but i can tell that

EWS-power on reset: The Battery was disconnected at some point.
IKE-outside temperature sensor: probably needs to be replaced(check if still there as it may be disconnected)
ZKE-Battery voltage: battery was disconnected at some point.

I would reccomend clear all those codes, drive the car for a while and see which one are still present.
Huge relief that the power issues were just disconnected. I saw a bunch of voltage issues and got really nervous. I knew the outside temp sensor is bad (that was the only one I knew!).

Thanks for the answers though!! Not sure where you were at, but you may have been able to hear my sigh of relief!
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #508
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
x2. My car had a bunch of codes stored from all these years of driving including the previous owner which were not reset.

You will probably feel much better after you do a full reset and drive for awhile and recheck.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #509
texasouth

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
I read most of the thread in preparation (just ordered the interface and the round 20 pin cable as well), but honestly it's so long pardon me if I missed this somewhere:

1. On a coupe: can the rear pop-out windows be programmed for one-touch operation when closing?

2. Looking at the LCM options; what exactly is the parking lights as they pertain to the US cars ... I want parking lights off, just headlights on on the front end.

3. Is PA soft able to read live data from ABS sensors? I'm having a issue with ABS kicking in at very low speeds (right before I stop): I'd love to see what exactly is happening.

Thanks

Slo,
1 I have a 2002 325Ci. BMW scanner 1.4 does program your rear quarter windows to open and close with the key.
2 For me, the parking lights are the turn signal lights. They stay on all the time.
3 I don't know about ABS issues. Sorry

Hope that helps. I love this tool!
texasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #510
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasouth View Post
Slo,
1 I have a 2002 325Ci. BMW scanner 1.4 does program your rear quarter windows to open and close with the key.
2 For me, the parking lights are the turn signal lights. They stay on all the time.
3 I don't know about ABS issues. Sorry

Hope that helps. I love this tool!
1) You cannot close the rear quarter windows with one touch function unless you do a little mod in the switch. I can open but cannot close the coupe rear windows by one touch function. I have activated it in the PA soft. I have seen a DIY where you need to cut a little plastic piece in the actual switch for the programming to work for one touch close function. Very simple though.
Mine is set to open just the windows and not the sun roof with the remote, and one touch open and close for front and rear windows. But the one touch close doesn't work for the rears(till I do that mod).

2) You cannot turn off the parking lights by PA soft, it has to be done via NCS or some resistor mod has to be done.

3) It can very much be your sensor or the tires. I don't think live data will give you anything about ABS other than it being active or not(I doubt that too).

Last edited by trj; 04-24-2012 at 02:46 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #511
slocar

My Ride: 323ci
Thanks for the answers fellas!

The ABS thing ... I am suspecting sensor too, but honestly it's far too costly for me to just start throwing money at the issue until I can diagnose it properly ... OEM sensors are jolly expensive. ps. Tires are new; issue was there before and still is.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #512
20vector

My Ride: 2000 323i
my instrument cluster (IKE) is having issues. just got it few months ago and problems were already there. have bmw scanner 1.4. reading errors like "Signal,CAN instrument cluster 2 and instrument cluster 3". when try reading codes on instrument cluster say " unable to read ". believe instrument cluster is just bad. ordered used one off ebay. when i get used one should i just be able to install and everything will work? O yeah my A/C is not working either. should that work too? should i open IKE page and input VIN and my current car mileage? or should i just leave it be?
20vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #513
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
how can you set light blink when you lock or unlock the car?
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #514
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Quote:
how can you set light blink when you lock or unlock the car?
how did you miss the big pictures in page 1 and then in page 2..
haurelio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #515
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
But what do i have to select? What say WMA and the armi thing and disarmi thing? The five of then? Or all of the like in the picture like warning light and the rest?!
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #516
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimer21 View Post
But what do i have to select? What say WMA and the armi thing and disarmi thing? The five of then? Or all of the like in the picture like warning light and the rest?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Below are my settings for the alarm

There are a tonne of posts about PA Soft.

3 Series Owners Manuals
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/

For Sale (Exterior Lights)

..sincerely Jenny
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #517
theboeuf

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
General code reading question: What will this BMW Scanner 1.4 NOT read? What I am primarily looking for is a code reader. I'd like to see what codes are coming up BEFORE I take my car to the shop. Ideally, I'd like to see everything that a dealer or "indy" shop would see. I don't mind paying experienced mechanics to do repairs but I'd also like to save a little money by fixing very basic problems on my own. I would also feel much better if I can see the codes first (before having repairs done) but don't want to drop $100 every time the CES light comes on.

I've read all 471 messages in this thread. Great info - This forum is excellent!
theboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #518
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
can someone direct me to WHERE you bought your PA software?

thanks a bunch

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #519
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboeuf View Post
General code reading question: What will this BMW Scanner 1.4 NOT read? What I am primarily looking for is a code reader. I'd like to see what codes are coming up BEFORE I take my car to the shop. Ideally, I'd like to see everything that a dealer or "indy" shop would see. I don't mind paying experienced mechanics to do repairs but I'd also like to save a little money by fixing very basic problems on my own. I would also feel much better if I can see the codes first (before having repairs done) but don't want to drop $100 every time the CES light comes on.

I've read all 471 messages in this thread. Great info - This forum is excellent!
The BMW Scanner 1.4 will read more codes than any other generic OBDII scanner (which probably costs 5 to 10 times more)

It shows old shadow, and currently active or pending codes. Just scroll up from this post and look at all the screenshots taken. Yellow = shadow, Red = currently active. You even have the codes separated into their own modules, which no generic scanner can do.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #520
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
can someone direct me to WHERE you bought your PA software?

thanks a bunch
I got mine from Dealextreme. I wouldn't recommend them though unless you're in no big hurry. I got it and the two contacts were connected but it took at least 2 months.

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft