E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 227 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #781
RyanHoelzer

My Ride: 04 m3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by freereeder View Post
i am always annoyed by having to press the unlock button to open the back doors and the boot, or pulling the lever twice to open the door. Is there any way to use pasoft to unlock the car when putting in park, or turning off the engine? Or can the auto-locking be disabled?
It should. Mine didn't lock when I got it and I can make it auto lock. So making a car that auto locks not lock should work.

I haven't found a way to make it unlock when turning off the engine yet.
RyanHoelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #782
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
i am always annoyed by having to press the unlock button to open the back doors and the boot, or pulling the lever twice to open the door. Is there any way to use pasoft to unlock the car when putting in park, or turning off the engine? Or can the auto-locking be disabled?
I've posted my "auto-locks-at-24km/h" picture about a dozen times in here already, just look it up and uncheck the boxes so it never automatically locks.

I'm not aware of an option to unlock the doors like you described, but you could also just program to have the button pressed once and it opens all the doors at the same time (deselect selective locking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Great thread and kudos to OP and all other contributors.

I've just spent 2 days reading through 40 pages in this thread before even plugging in my scanner.... only to find a problem, the same as boongsin12 posted below.

Appreciate some help with 2 issues...
1. My scanner seems to read everything except for the DME and some other modules (which are essential!). My key is in position 1 and I have also tried position 2.

2. In order to access the EWS do I need to erase and unlock it? By doing this will it mean that I can successfully code to the EWS? I know this must seem elementary to you all - I would rather ask than make a mistake on this

Please see attached pics for more info.... thanks!

I can't see the pictures (work), neither is your car model listed. If you have a 323/328, you need the 20 pin round adapter, otherwise the pin likely needs to be soldered. Always use PA Soft with the key in position 2.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #783
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
My PA came 9 pin cable and I need a 16 anybody else run into this problem?
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #784
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I can't see the pictures (work), neither is your car model listed. If you have a 323/328, you need the 20 pin round adapter, otherwise the pin likely needs to be soldered. Always use PA Soft with the key in position 2.
Thanks AC. The car is a '01 325 sedan, Australian delivery / Euro spec.

I will try again in key position 2.

EDIT: I checked the pins and solders against what others from the same seller have posted including delmarco, my device is the same.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.

Last edited by Ballistic325; 07-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #785
freereeder

My Ride: BMW 320i
Thanks AC. I had seen those posts, but is looks as if the speed selection is done with option buttons, in which case you can't deselect a speed. But I haven't tried it yet; I'll give it a go this weekend. Mine is a 2001 320i by the way.
freereeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #786
RyanHoelzer

Quote:
Thanks AC. I had seen those posts, but it looks as if the speed selection is done with option buttons, in which case you can't deselect a speed. But I haven't tried it yet; I'll give it a go this weekend. Mine is a 2001 320i by the way.
That's a good point but mine didn't autolock before so there should be a way to unselect. My guess is unselect all of the above Automatic Locking checks and it will clear. Let us know..

Some people have also said that theirs only worked with certain speeds. You could try the different speeds and see if you find one that doesn't work.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #787
boongsin12

My Ride: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Thanks AC. The car is a '01 325 sedan, Australian delivery / Euro spec.

I will try again in key position 2.

EDIT: I checked the pins and solders against what others from the same seller have posted including delmarco, my device is the same.

If you bought your reader from xcar360, the pins should be soldered already.
1+ on key position 2. I made this same mistake.
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #788
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Always have the key in position 2 or start the car.

PS: Do not get too adventurous and keep the car in ON(position 2) for a long time(hours). It will drain your battery. So keep the coding time short.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #789
RyanHoelzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
My PA came 9 pin cable and I need a 16 anybody else run into this problem?
Are you saying it came with the round connector, not the trapezoid? Where'd you buy it from? Did it say which connector it was? There's probably an adapter available but all the ones I've seen go from trapezoid to round, the opposite way.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #790
RyanHoelzer

Quote:
Thanks AC. I had seen those posts, but is looks as if the speed selection is done with option buttons, in which case you can't deselect a speed. But I haven't tried it yet; I'll give it a go this weekend. Mine is a 2001 320i by the way.
I played with it for a while tonight. Mine works with all the speeds and I thought I was stuck with auto locking until I realized all you have to do is uncheck the keys. The speed is tied to which key you have activated so by simply unchecking them the speed setting does nothing..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #791
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
i bought mine from whatever 360 and it doesnt show me live data for m3 is anyone else having this issue?
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #792
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHoelzer View Post

I had to play with the lock settings but set up like this I have all locks locking and unlocking with 1 press, and auto locking at 28 km/h. The 1 touch locking is the settings that are "Entr. aid". The One-touch functions settings let me put the top up and down from the remote.

I haven't found a way to unlock when turning the car off yet. Not sure it's possible on these cars at this point.
'Entr. Aid' on my car caused my window to down when I opened tha car door and then it would go back up when the door was closed. I was not able to find any explaination about this feature.

I have all of my option under 'Selective locking functions' set to 'No' which disables 'Selective' unlocking.

Last edited by steve.325i; 07-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #793
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Thanks for the help and the info. I should myself for not using key position 2. So me.

1. My doors now auto lock at 12kmh
2. Harzards flash on un/lock
3. I was able to view and clear any present codes and now I can monitor for codes in the future
4. After coding the IKE I get the following error (I know the oil level sensor is bad already!):

Any ideas on how to clear that error? It is BF[191].

Questions:
1. How do I reset the ASG (auto gearbox) adaptations using the software? I know there is a key / ignition sequence for it.
2. There are 5 or 6 shadow codes that immediately reappear on the DME. Is it correct that these are to be ignored? I am just checking the first post to see if they are the same codes...
3. Question re access to the EWS still stands as per previous post. Do I erase and unlock?

Thanks...

EDIT: Here are the codes that I am getting on the DME. The 5A/5B/5D codes are apparently supposed to be "unread" but the rest could be problems. Any input appreciated.

DME -> 08/B2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
Shadow-memory:
08/B2 - Air mass flow sensor signal, short circuit to negative or open circuit
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
85/08 - Signal, CAN ASC 3, timeout elapsed
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.

Last edited by Ballistic325; 07-19-2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Update
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #794
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
Hey Ali good to hear you got it all sorted. I always have my key in position 2 and engine running when doing these diagnostics. Funny things and errors happen whenever there is the slightest drop in voltage so I've found it best to always have the engine running so voltage is stable.

I don't think there is a way to delete the DME shadow memory. I've got the same thing with my DME where there are no current errors but about 15 shadow memory error that always show up.

shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #795
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
We really should find a way to make a sticky with the relevant info in this thread so the next person who stumbles across it doesnt have to read 40 pages of posts with only 10-12 actual posts with info on the software.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #796
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
+1

shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #797
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Always have the key in position 2 or start the car.

PS: Do not get too adventurous and keep the car in ON(position 2) for a long time(hours). It will drain your battery. So keep the coding time short.
Also the ODB socket always has power, if the OBD adapter has any LEDs, they will stay on as long as it is attached to the connector also draining power from the battery.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #798
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
I have a question.

I installed the soft and can get this window.(as below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I have both and ran both. Here are the visual results (looks the same I guess):
new:

And when I click ZKE I could get this kind of window.

Quote:
Accord...

But how can I get this window?

I clicked 'Read memory' and it asked me which number to which number.
and afraid to click other button.

Anyway, how can I get below window?
thank you.

Quote:
Below are my settings for the alarm, notice the

Last edited by mikeson; 07-19-2012 at 11:00 PM.
mikeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #799
Cuda12

My Ride: '99 C43/'04 330I SMG
I am trying to get the scanner to work. I purchased it from xcar360 and downloaded the drivers. The 7,8 pins are soldered. I plug it in and the ignition is set at #2 but nothing happens. I am running Windows 7 and it is for an "04 330I. I read this entire thread and cannot figure out the hiccup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by Cuda12; 07-19-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Cuda12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #800
RyanHoelzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
I have a question.

I installed the soft and can get this window.(as below)

And when I click ZKE I could get this kind of window.

But how can I get this window?

I clicked 'Read memory' and it asked me which number to which number.
and afraid to click other button.

Anyway, how can I get below window?
thank you.

Click light coding

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft