E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 193 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #1061
slocar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: .
Posts: 51
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Yeah I have the OBD 1 under the hood. I just thought that the OBD 2 would have full function on the cars computer. And I didn't feel like searching though 100+ pages at first. Then I searched and found what solidjake had posted. Its all good though.
All cars made in 01 and earlier need the 20 pin adapter.
__________________
slocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #1062
JDez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 174
My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
All cars made in 01 and earlier need the 20 pin adapter.
Wrong. My 330 has a manufacture date of 05/2000 and I don't have a 20 pin connector. The easiest way to check is just to look in the drug bin.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
JDez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1063
pawelgawel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: This is LONDON??
Posts: 935
My Ride: 330CI
^^ true story... had a 2000/05 323 with obd 2 plug

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1064
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,984
My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
So you still need to buy other code reader to get engine code? I was hoping this is the all-in-one tool. Too bad.
Why would you need engine codes and "guessing", when this tool will tell you exactly what's wrong, specifically in which module, and with descriptive language?
P-codes are useless in comparison.


Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
All cars made in 01 and earlier need the 20 pin adapter.
Nope.


Even some model year 2000 E46's don't need it.
__________________

Last edited by ac_2007; 09-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #1065
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 304
My Ride: E46 323i
My moms 2000 doesn't have the 20 pin
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #1066
drift.mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 304
My Ride: E46 323i
But my 99 does
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #1067
UDown0311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 208
My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Why would you need engine codes and "guessing", when this tool will tell you exactly what's wrong, specifically in which module, and with descriptive language?
P-codes are useless in comparison.
no lie, the pa soft codes are blowing my mind . i really just want to know why my SEL is on...

and why would this guy ---> http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...annerPart1.mp4 have quite a few more units "recognized" than i do? does it have something to do with the software and how i installed it on W7?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen one.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	470207  

Last edited by UDown0311; 09-21-2012 at 12:03 AM.
UDown0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1068
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member
 
Schlag96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 822
My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDown0311 View Post
no lie, the pa soft codes are blowing my mind . i really just want to know why my SEL is on...

and why would this guy ---> http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...annerPart1.mp4 have quite a few more units "recognized" than i do? does it have something to do with the software and how i installed it on W7?
Because a lot of the units are for optional equipment. I only have like 10 units on my base 1999 323i
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #1069
filipinoise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Daly City, CA
Posts: 309
My Ride: '02 325ci
Got an SES light on the way to school today. Started the car up perfectly fine. Engine ran smooth as butter as it always does, with no idle problems whatsoever. A few minutes in, when the car was heated up to operating temperature, the engine starts to shake ever so slightly. Nothing violent, just a little vibration. Idle starts to drop a bit , then go up, then go back down. No stalling. SES light comes on. I've never gotten an SES before, and the car's been pretty well maintained (so far, in about 11 months/ 5-6K miles, I've done new brake pads, oil change with 5w30, new air filter, new cabin air filter, new spark plugs (BKR6EQUP), new battery, new voltage regulator, VANOS seals, VCG, overhauled cooling system, new belts, pre-cat o2 sensors, and cleaned MAF. Manual transmission fluid replace, differential fluid replace, power steering fluid replace, clean ICV, and replace upper & lower intake boots are coming soon, and I'll be overhauling my suspension shortly. CCV and DISA will be done either next semester or during the summer). Since I had a quiz today (and because I can't manage to miss class), I wasn't able to turn around so I sucked it up & continued to drive to school. About 6-7 minutes later, the SES light goes away and car goes back to idling well with some very slight roughness. Overall, though, it was pretty decent. What the hell? I'm thinking, okay, hopefully it doesn't come back anytime soon (because obviously it would come back, but I don't want to deal with it right now when class is about to start), but I'll still scan the car at home later on in the day and fix whatever is wrong. Well, the way things go, the SES light came back about 10 minutes later. I was able to make it to school, but I'd say barely. The engine wanted to stall, and it was an even bigger nuisance driving uphill and having to apply more gas to get the car to go up or else it'd stall (due to a major loss in power and acceleration). I was at about 1/4 tank of gas. As of right now, I'm just going to take one of my parents' cars to school next week and the week after that - until the problem is resolved. Thank goodness it's Friday.

Scanned the car via PA Soft (v1.4.0.9) and under DME, here's what I had:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> E4/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
F2/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F1/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
EE/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F0/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
Shadow-memory:
E4/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
F2/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F1/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
EE/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F0/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit


Cleared them, and resulted in these:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

Wasn't able to take the car out for a drive after that, though. Anyone have any ideas?
__________________
'02 325ci 5MT


I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #1070
I M Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 42
My Ride: M3
Can PA soft eliminate the need for a resistor when installing interior LED lights?
__________________
I M Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #1071
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,942
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
All cars made in 01 and earlier need the 20 pin adapter.
01s don't. Only 323s and 328s need the adapter.
__________________
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #1072
UDown0311
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 208
My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
Because a lot of the units are for optional equipment. I only have like 10 units on my base 1999 323i
So even the DME unit could possibly not be available, even on an 04? Seems like the newer the model the more options you would have, right?

@filipinoise - I had similar issues and pulled an engine code (not using PA software) that said I was misfiring. I changed out all the plugs, cleaned the MAF sensor, the throttle body, ICV, and replaced the DISA (it was literally falling apart which was probably the source of the problems). After that, light went off and stayed off.

Last edited by UDown0311; 09-22-2012 at 01:28 AM.
UDown0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1073
slocar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: .
Posts: 51
My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Legend View Post
Can PA soft eliminate the need for a resistor when installing interior LED lights?
To my knowledge the only thing you can do with interior lights using pa soft is turn the fade on/fade off on and off ... not sure if that helps any
__________________
slocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1074
joegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDown0311 View Post
So even the DME unit could possibly not be available, even on an 04? Seems like the newer the model the more options you would have, right?

@filipinoise - I had similar issues and pulled an engine code (not using PA software) that said I was misfiring. I changed out all the plugs, cleaned the MAF sensor, the throttle body, ICV, and replaced the DISA (it was literally falling apart which was probably the source of the problems). After that, light went off and stayed off.
I have stuff not showing up on mine that I know I have, like ABS, Auto AC, EML, ...
I looked inside the adapter, and the two pins on the end are bridged together.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #1075
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,984
My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoise View Post
Scanned the car via PA Soft (v1.4.0.9) and under DME, here's what I had:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> E4/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
F2/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F1/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
EE/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F0/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
Shadow-memory:
E4/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/F1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
F2/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F1/B5 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
EE/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F0/B4 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit


Cleared them, and resulted in these:

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3
34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

Wasn't able to take the car out for a drive after that, though. Anyone have any ideas?

From the codes, it would be saying that your pre-cat O2 sensors are to blame. However, I somewhat doubt this since both bank 1 and 2 codes showed up - that is, unless you replaced with cheap aftermarket sensors.

Check if you have any vacuum leaks from the lower intake boot, and if you recently washed under the hood, water could've gone on the coil packs.


The shadow codes that remained after you cleared everything are just engineering codes. They don't apply to your car, and you can't clear them, just ignore those.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
01s don't. Only 323s and 328s need the adapter.
I programmed a 323 without the 20 pin adapter.

There seems to be a cutoff date in late 1999/ early 2000 production date when the under-hood connector was discontinued. 323/328s included.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1076
I M Legend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 42
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocar View Post
To my knowledge the only thing you can do with interior lights using pa soft is turn the fade on/fade off on and off ... not sure if that helps any
yeah I looked through the menu and didn't see any other option. thanks!
__________________
I M Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #1077
Noodle555
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 585
My Ride: M3 Cabriolet
My car threw an SES light so I thought I would buy the BMW Scan tool to read the code. Got everything working fine but when I run the scan it does not find the DME, which is where I think the code would be stored.

Am I doing something wrong? I used the latest software on the PA Soft site. Has anyone else had this problem?

The tool found a bunch of minor errors and I was able to switch off my DRLs.

Pins 7 & 8 already soldered together.
__________________
M3 Vert TiAG/Blk - with every option

Mods: Clear Bra | Tints | Hardwired Passport SRX | Painted Bumper Reflectors | Keyhole Cover | 6000k Predator Chromiums | 6000k Philips Ultinons | 6000k HID Fogs | Philips Silvervision Corners | OEM LED Tails | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Eisenmann Race | CSL Diffuser | CD/DVD Swap | Small Antenna | Blackout Grille and Gills | Smoked Corners

Mods ready to install: Paddle Upgrade | ZCP Rotors | CF Interior Trim

Last edited by Noodle555; 09-22-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Noodle555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #1078
joegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 230
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle555 View Post
My car threw an SES light so I thought I would buy the BMW Scan tool to read the code. Got everything working fine but when I run the scan it does not find the DME, which is where I think the code would be stored.

Am I doing something wrong? I used the latest software on the PA Soft site. Has anyone else had this problem?

The tool found a bunch of minor errors and I was able to switch off my DRLs.

Pins 7 & 8 already soldered together.
Yes, DME isn't found for me either. (2002 325i)
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #1079
carborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9
My Ride: E46,E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Yes, DME isn't found for me either. (2002 325i)
I've tested several cars as yours (with ECU MS43) and DME was found on all cars. I think it can be because of adapter. I'm using genuine one from Pasoft and there was no problems - DME or DDE is visible every time.
carborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1080
TonyJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 290
My Ride: E46 330i
Mine also cannot see DME. I bought from xcar360. Anyone else bought from them can see DME?
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use