E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #1121
kcross2519

My Ride: 2001 e46 330I
I got mine from here: Ordered Tuesday got it Saturday, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170877456043...84.m1497.l2649

Haven't gotten it to work yet first kept getting the "IKE and EWS" after doing the FTDI drivers work around (I´m have windows 7 Starter Edition) I got "Hardware Not Ready", should I open it up and see if 7 & 8 are bridged?? Or is it just my crappy windows version? Another thing is that my lap top does not have a CD drive so I didn´t do the install from the CD just downloaded the program from the site, are there additional drivers on the CD that I´m missing?

Regards
kcross2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #1122
lilbimmer

My Ride: 01 330ci Step
Send a message via Yahoo to lilbimmer Send a message via Skype™ to lilbimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
When you got your tracking number were you able to see your tracking info right away? I got my tracking number 4 days ago and when I go and check on the Hong Kong Post website it says there is still no information available for my tracking number. It says to try again later or contact the seller.
I believe I was able to see tracking info immediately when they emailed it to me.

lilbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1123
lilbimmer

Ok. So I installed the s/w and updated the drivers based on this link. I noticed the green light never came on on the device. I was able to scan my car with the PA Software and thought it was working because I was able to see correct info and was able to go into various menus thinking I was changing the settings, but no dice. I just cannot go thru this thread again to find out what the problem is. Anyone with the short version of the Windows 7 32 bit installation steps?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #1124
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
^^ my green lights flikers on and off every few seconds... is that how it works? It reads all my info including dme. never tried to change anything though

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #1125
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
^^ my green lights flikers on and off every few seconds... is that how it works? It reads all my info including dme. never tried to change anything though

Yes it flashes when is reading the obd. Pretty much is a way to show that is in process. Not 100% but if you don't do nothing , it stays solid I think.
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1126
lilbimmer

I am getting a steady yellow light. No green. USB serial port still showing issues!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #1127
lilbimmer

I was the idiot. Was installing the wrong file for the device driver. It should have been ftdiport.ini instead of ftdibus.ini. Maybe I read the instructions incorrectly on bimmerforums, but I thought it said to use the same ftdibus.ini driver. I also chose "usb serial port" instead of "usb serial port convert A" once the tool was plugged in. Hope this helps others!

PS. Wickedly you are correct. The green light flashes only when reading/writing to the database.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #1128
gueste46
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcross2519 View Post
I got mine from here: Ordered Tuesday got it Saturday, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170877456043...84.m1497.l2649

Haven't gotten it to work yet first kept getting the "IKE and EWS" after doing the FTDI drivers work around (I´m have windows 7 Starter Edition) I got "Hardware Not Ready", should I open it up and see if 7 & 8 are bridged?? Or is it just my crappy windows version? Another thing is that my lap top does not have a CD drive so I didn´t do the install from the CD just downloaded the program from the site, are there additional drivers on the CD that I´m missing?

Regards
This helped me to get it working:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...966&highlight=
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #1129
kcross2519

My Ride: 2001 e46 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbimmer View Post
I was the idiot. Was installing the wrong file for the device driver. It should have been ftdiport.ini instead of ftdibus.ini. Maybe I read the instructions incorrectly on bimmerforums, but I thought it said to use the same ftdibus.ini driver. I also chose "usb serial port" instead of "usb serial port convert A" once the tool was plugged in. Hope this helps others!

PS. Wickedly you are correct. The green light flashes only when reading/writing to the database.
The instructions the bimmerforum do state installing “ftdibus” instead of “ftdiport”, I know there has been some tweaking to the hardware from when those instructions were written (almost a year old) so I´m going to try using “ftdiport” did you use the same driver for both Universal Serial Bus controller & BMW Scanner driver? This is really giving me a headache, and I am almost sure that it´s just something simple like what worked for you, gonna restore my computer to before anything I´ve done in terms of installing this and also clear any registry of bmw scanner through regedit, and try what you´ve done.

By following the instructions on the bimmerforum I actually got it to go “hardware not ready” error both lights on (when I unplugged it from the car green light continued on) so I´m thinking that one’s got me closer to getting it to work, never the less something’s missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I tried it and didn´t work, also it says 64bit I´m running a 32bit I know the driver is good for both, and in theory it should work but only led me to the “IKE & EWS” errors.

This is the one I got, seems tweaked from the pictures I´ve seen about bridging pins, so I´m almost positive I don’t have to do any soldering.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...846.216197.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input, Regards
kcross2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #1130
lilbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcross2519 View Post
The instructions the bimmerforum do state installing "ftdibus" instead of "ftdiport", I know there has been some tweaking to the hardware from when those instructions were written (almost a year old) so I´m going to try using "ftdiport" did you use the same driver for both Universal Serial Bus controller & BMW Scanner driver? This is really giving me a headache, and I am almost sure that it´s just something simple like what worked for you, gonna restore my computer to before anything I´ve done in terms of installing this and also clear any registry of bmw scanner through regedit, and try what you´ve done.

By following the instructions on the bimmerforum I actually got it to go "hardware not ready" error both lights on (when I unplugged it from the car green light continued on) so I´m thinking that one's got me closer to getting it to work, never the less something's missing.

I tried it and didn´t work, also it says 64bit I´m running a 32bit I know the driver is good for both, and in theory it should work but only led me to the "IKE & EWS" errors.

This is the one I got, seems tweaked from the pictures I´ve seen about bridging pins, so I´m almost positive I don't have to do any soldering.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...846.216197.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input, Regards
kcross, I used the bimmerforums instructions step-by-step right up until updating the PA Soft USB Driver. Instead of using the same ftdibus driver, I selected the ftdiport driver and chose "usb serial port". Although it is working now, I still get the "Hardware Not Ready" error initially. I make sure the key is in position 1, disconnect the usb cable from the laptop, reconnect, make sure I hear the confirmation of a usb device connected, then hit continue on the PA s/w. Sometimes I have to do this 2/3 times before I am up and running.

Last edited by lilbimmer; 10-03-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #1131
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
kcross, I used the bimmerforums instructions step-by-step right up until updating the PA Soft USB Driver. Instead of using the same ftdibus driver, I selected the ftdiport driver and chose "usb serial port". Although it is working now, I still get the "Hardware Not Ready" error initially. I make sure the key is in position 1, disconnect the usb cable from the laptop, reconnect, make sure I hear the confirmation of a usb device connected, then hit continue on the PA s/w. Sometimes I have to do this 2/3 times before I am up and running.
For me, I can only talk to a few modules with the key in position 1. I can talk to all of them (that I have) in position 2.

So that we are on the same page -
Position - 0 = all off, steering locked.
Position - 1 = steering unlocked, radio on.
Position - 2 = all on - AC control display on, dash on, check engine light on, ...
Position - 3 = starter engaged.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #1132
lilbimmer

OK. So I got several things to work:
1. single button to open all locks
2. clown nose and alarm signal lights
3. doors lock after certain speed
4. close windows with press of remote key (passenger window does not close even though it is selected in PA, not sure what that is about yet)

One thing I am having difficulty with is turning off DRLs. I uncheck it (US and EU) in the LCM, but lights still come on. Any ideas?

Here is a snapshot of my log file:

DME -> E4/F2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation lean [my typical p0174/p0171 codes]
E3/F2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation lean
CB/B2 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 2, control limit, mixture limit lean
CA/B2 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, control limit, mixture limit lean
D3/B1 - Idle speed control valve, mechanical fault, jammed open
Shadow-memory:
E4/F2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation lean
E3/F2 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation lean
CB/B2 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 2, control limit, mixture limit lean
CA/B2 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, control limit, mixture limit lean
D3/B1 - Idle speed control valve, mechanical fault, jammed open [the reason why I am getting the EML+DSC+BRAKE lights??]
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

EGS -> 31/81 - Symptom gear check [What is this about?]

ABS* -> 5E19/C0 - CAN DME/DDE, engine torque not adjustable. [Eh?]

A/C -> 1C/44 - AUC sensor [Eh?]
1E/42 - AUC heating

SRS -> 01/C0 - Airbag, driver [My guess why my airbag light comes on]

IKE -> 11/C4 - Thermal oil-level sensor [My guess why the yellow oil light comes on for 10-15 sec after starting. Ideas?]

LCM -> 0C/22 - Control-unit fault, error in EEPROM [What is all of this below?]
16/02 - Turn lights switch / wire, short circuit to ground
17/02 - High beam / headlight flasher switch, short circuit to ground
22/02 - HVAC, front load sensor, short circuit to ground
24/02 - HVAC, rear load sensor, short circuit to ground
Shadow-memory:
33/01 - Sidelight, front right
36/0C - Turn indicator, front left
37/02 - Turn indicator, front right
38/01 - Sidelight, front left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
40/02 - Turn indicator, rear right
41/01 - Low beam, right

ZKE -> 07/02 - Anti-theft alarm system: Siren, Radio interior protection, Tilt alarm sensor or Wire STDWA Short circuit to ground or Open circuit [No actual alarm, but have alarm on for visual]
Shadow-memory:
90/21 - Battery Voltage: Open circuit Eh?]

SPMFT -> Shadow-memory:
02/04 - Low voltage mirror-heating [after market mirrors]

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:
02/03 - Low voltage mirror-heating

Last edited by lilbimmer; 10-03-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #1133
lilbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
For me, I can only talk to a few modules with the key in position 1. I can talk to all of them (that I have) in position 2.

So that we are on the same page -
Position - 0 = all off, steering locked.
Position - 1 = steering unlocked, radio on.
Position - 2 = all on - AC control display on, dash on, check engine light on, ...
Position - 3 = starter engaged.
Agreed. I was just trying to get kcross up and running. After everything checks out OK, I turn the key to position 3 to scan and recode.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #1134
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
A/C -> 1C/44 - AUC sensor [Eh?]
1E/42 - AUC heating
IKE -> 11/C4 - Thermal oil-level sensor [My guess why the yellow oil light comes on for 10-15 sec after starting. Ideas?]

I got the AUC sensor warning as well. Apparently, it is the sensor on top of the fan (under the hood) that detects fumes and switches the AC to recycle instead of fresh. It's not a big thing to me, so I haven't replaced it yet.

The oil light should be as simple as replacing the oil level sensor. (It was for me.) It's on the bottom of the oil pan, near the oil drain plug. Do it when you next change oil.

I had several other errors showing. I cleared all of them, and then only had to address the few that came back.

Last edited by joegr; 10-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #1135
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
WOW 1 week later and my tracking number just started to work. Why? Cause for a whole week it just sat at their warehouse and never made it to the post office. Unbelievable.....and I emailed them and they never replied.....so now Ill have to probably wait another 2 weeks to get it. Looks like I was one of the unlucky ones who has to wait 3 weeks. Should have just gotten it from a USA seller. I just hope it works when it arrives.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #1136
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
Been waiting for mine for exactly a month now. Bought from xcar360, tracking number says it left HK on September 3 and arrived in the Philippines on the 10th. Yep, our postal service is terrible.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #1137
Custom3

why wtf? do they have someone walking with a back pack delivering mail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post
Been waiting for mine for exactly a month now. Bought from xcar360, tracking number says it left HK on September 3 and arrived in the Philippines on the 10th. Yep, our postal service is terrible.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #1138
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
this is why i decided to go with a different seller. $26 shipped.. got it in about two weeks

pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #1139
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
this is why i decided to go with a different seller. $26 shipped.. got it in about two weeks

Post the link. Ever since xcar360 became a sponsor on here, I've slowly started despising them.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1140
Custom3

really? I didnt even know they were a sponsor. Especially since they haven't posted on this thread and they really should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Post the link. Ever since xcar360 became a sponsor on here, I've slowly started despising them.

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft