E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 195 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #1141
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Hopefully someone can help me out with this...

I just recently ordered one of these and i'm getting the "HARDWARE NOT READY" error.

I'm running Windows XP Professional 2002 on an older laptop. The USB device manager is recognizing the scanner and says it's working correctly. Both lights are illuminated on the scanner. The software installed perfectly. I've tried different USB ports, different cables, restarting, everything. The car is a 9/2002 build date (2003 MY), and i'm plugging into the under dash OBDII port.

Any ideas? I did a search, but it seems that people who were having this problem were either running windows 7 or had a bad unit. I don't want to contact X360 to send it back if that's not necessary.
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #1142
tehcbass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 85
My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
whats a good scanner that can run on windows 7? p.m me if you know!

thanks
__________________

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1143
kcross2519
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 26
My Ride: 2001 e46 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbimmer View Post
kcross, I used the bimmerforums instructions step-by-step right up until updating the PA Soft USB Driver. Instead of using the same ftdibus driver, I selected the ftdiport driver and chose "usb serial port". Although it is working now, I still get the "Hardware Not Ready" error initially. I make sure the key is in position 1, disconnect the usb cable from the laptop, reconnect, make sure I hear the confirmation of a usb device connected, then hit continue on the PA s/w. Sometimes I have to do this 2/3 times before I am up and running.
Believe me Ive been reading a lot on the subject since I haven't been able to get this thing to work, from what Ive read "Hardware Not Ready" just means you have:

Not in a specific order just try all
Different usb port,
Wait a few seconds before hitting continue,
Try key in position 1 or 2,
Un plug and re-plug the scanner from the car make sure its in right,
kcross2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #1144
sdbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 557
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
do it in this order

you need to do it in this order (that's what works for me).

1.) plug in the device to the ODBC.
2.) insert your key and turn it to 'position 2" (ON but no engine start).
3.) insert the USB cable into your laptop (laptop should already be ON).
4.) At this point, the OS should detect the device. You can verify this by going into the Device Manager under 'Universal Serial Controller', there should be a device with the name of "BMW Scanner". If you don't see this, then the driver didn't get installed correctly.
5.) now start the PA Soft Diagnostic software (forgot the actual name).
6.) the software will start to scan your car for identification. (in this case, everything should be working.)
7.) if you are still getting the "HARDWARE NOT READY" , then try it again but this time leave the car in the "position 2", unplug the device and plug it back in (make sure it goes in all the way).
8.) restart the PA software and see if it can detect the device.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Hopefully someone can help me out with this...

I just recently ordered one of these and i'm getting the "HARDWARE NOT READY" error.

I'm running Windows XP Professional 2002 on an older laptop. The USB device manager is recognizing the scanner and says it's working correctly. Both lights are illuminated on the scanner. The software installed perfectly. I've tried different USB ports, different cables, restarting, everything. The car is a 9/2002 build date (2003 MY), and i'm plugging into the under dash OBDII port.

Any ideas? I did a search, but it seems that people who were having this problem were either running windows 7 or had a bad unit. I don't want to contact X360 to send it back if that's not necessary.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #1145
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
you need to do it in this order (that's what works for me).

1.) plug in the device to the ODBC.
2.) insert your key and turn it to 'position 2" (ON but no engine start).
3.) insert the USB cable into your laptop (laptop should already be ON).
4.) At this point, the OS should detect the device. You can verify this by going into the Device Manager under 'Universal Serial Controller', there should be a device with the name of "BMW Scanner". If you don't see this, then the driver didn't get installed correctly.
5.) now start the PA Soft Diagnostic software (forgot the actual name).
6.) the software will start to scan your car for identification. (in this case, everything should be working.)
7.) if you are still getting the "HARDWARE NOT READY" , then try it again but this time leave the car in the "position 2", unplug the device and plug it back in (make sure it goes in all the way).
8.) restart the PA software and see if it can detect the device.
Thanks for the reply. I've actually been doing just what you described. I've tried turning on/pluging in/starting up things in every order possible, including that.

I just went out and followed what you said to the letter, and it yielded the same results. The computer is seeing it, as it comes up in the device manager when it's plugged in via the USB cable. But it seems something is wrong with the scanner. I know my OBDII port is fine, as I just recently had a forum member do some coding on my car with his laptop.

I also tried it on a pre 2002 car with the BMW connector through the port under the hood and it does the same thing.
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-10-2012 at 06:13 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1146
MMMGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area , CA
Posts: 98
My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Nick, have you tried removing the program and installing the software again?
__________________
MMMGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #1147
sdbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 557
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
have you change to different USB ports? What kind of laptop do you have? maybe go into the BIOS and play around with the USB port setting. change it to 1.1 or 2.0 to test it out.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #1148
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_Estate View Post
Nick, have you tried removing the program and installing the software again?
No. The program is not in the add/remove programs list. The drivers are, but not the program itself. I didn't want to mess with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
have you change to different USB ports? What kind of laptop do you have? maybe go into the BIOS and play around with the USB port setting. change it to 1.1 or 2.0 to test it out.
I've tried both USB ports on the laptop with the same results. The machine is a Dell Inspiron 600m. I'll have to google messing around with BIOS. I know next to nothing about PC's. I use Macs and I got this machine as a hand me down specifically to use with the scanner.
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #1149
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
BTW, this is what the device manager is saying about the scanner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349913944.941797.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	473363  
__________________
-Nick
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #1150
sdbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 557
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
wait....there is an add/remove for the drivers but not the program? I can understand if there are no program list but not sure why the drivers are there. so when you first plug in the device, did it prompt to install the driver? If so, where did you point to, to get the driver files? When I did mines, it prompted for driver files and I just pointed it to the c:\BMWscanner140\drivers.... (something like that). Now that you mention that you have drivers in your add/remove program for this PA Software, that makes me wonder. you shouldn't have to have additional drivers added from other sources. The ones that came with the install of PA soft should work...especially if you are using Windows XP. I'm actually using Windows 8 (32bit) and I just pointed the driver install to that folder in C:\BMWScanner140\drivers and it worked.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #1151
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
wait....there is an add/remove for the drivers but not the program? I can understand if there are no program list but not sure why the drivers are there. so when you first plug in the device, did it prompt to install the driver? If so, where did you point to, to get the driver files? When I did mines, it prompted for driver files and I just pointed it to the c:\BMWscanner140\drivers.... (something like that). Now that you mention that you have drivers in your add/remove program for this PA Software, that makes me wonder. you shouldn't have to have additional drivers added from other sources. The ones that came with the install of PA soft should work...especially if you are using Windows XP. I'm actually using Windows 8 (32bit) and I just pointed the driver install to that folder in C:\BMWScanner140\drivers and it worked.
Correct. No program listed, but the drivers are listed. In the add/remove programs menu, the listing is "BMW Scanner Device Drivers". The only other entry in there is the Dell Resource CD. I literally have nothing on the machine at all.

I'm not sure why the program isn't listed, but the drivers are. When it asked for the drivers, I followed the instructions in the PDF file that they gave me, word for word. It had me point right to the drivers from the CD they gave me, in the drivers folder...it was C\BMWScan140\Drivers\

FWIW, I got into BIOS, and I didn't see a menu to change any aspects of the USB ports.
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1152
sdbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 557
My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Have you tried downloading the software from PA Soft? Download it and install it again. It'll overwrite what's there. Then go to device manager, right click on that device "BMW Scanner" and click on Update Drivers. click on "No not this time" at the wizard. Click on "Install from a list or specific location (Advance)". Then click on BROWSE. Then browse to C:\BMWScanner140\driver... there should be an INF file there. point to that then click on OK. That will update the driver to the latest.

Then reboot your system and see if it can recognize your device.

http://www.bmw-scanner.com/download/...mwscan_140.zip
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #1153
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
Have you tried downloading the software from PA Soft? Download it and install it again. It'll overwrite what's there. Then go to device manager, right click on that device "BMW Scanner" and click on Update Drivers. click on "No not this time" at the wizard. Click on "Install from a list or specific location (Advance)". Then click on BROWSE. Then browse to C:\BMWScanner140\driver... there should be an INF file there. point to that then click on OK. That will update the driver to the latest.

Then reboot your system and see if it can recognize your device.

http://www.bmw-scanner.com/download/...mwscan_140.zip
No dice.

I unzipped this file, clicked on the installer, hit "overwrite all", and let it install. I manually pointed it to the FTD2XX file in the drivers folder (there was only one file visible in the menu), hit ok, it said the driver was updated. I rebooted the computer and went through the initial list you posted. It gives the same "Hardware not ready" message.

FWIW, when I open the program, it immediately opens up a window that says "Turn the key to the on position and hit ok" (with buttons for OK and cancel). I'm not sure if that's a default, or if it will recognize that the scanner is plugged into an OBDII port when things are working correctly.

Ie., it behaves in the same fashion whether or not it's plugged into the car, and whether or not the scanner is plugged into the USB port. I've plugged other devices (camera, flash drive) into both USB ports and they function perfectly fine with those. It doesn't seem to be a connectivity issue with the ports or the cable (i've tried different cables).
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #1154
MMMGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area , CA
Posts: 98
My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
No. The program is not in the add/remove programs list. The drivers are, but not the program itself. I didn't want to mess with that.
Sorry, it's been a while since I've used the PA Soft. Sounds like the scanner could be faulty. Do you have the OBDII->20pin adapter? It'll read some of the modules on the 36M too, see here.

__________________

Last edited by MMMGP; 10-10-2012 at 10:44 PM.
MMMGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #1155
fiveightandten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,202
My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_Estate View Post
Sorry, it's been a while since I've used the PA Soft. Sounds like the scanner could be faulty. Do you have the OBDII->20pin adapter? It'll read some of the modules on the 36M too, see here.

I do have the 20 pin adaptor. 2 of them actually. And I tried plugging it into my E36, with the same "hardware not ready" results. Thanks for the link.
__________________
-Nick

Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-11-2012 at 06:21 AM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #1156
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,437
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
I been waiting a month for my scanner from 360...if that sh*t comes faulty Im just taking my losses...not bothering with returning it and waiting another month or two for another one. I regret getting it from that site.

Hope yours isnt faulty and I hope when mine arrives it isnt as well


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I do have the 20 pin adaptor. 2 of them actually. And I tried plugging it into my E36, with the same "hardware not ready" results. Thanks for the link.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #1157
El Polo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 461
My Ride: 99 black 328i
I noticed that I have to use the same usb port every time. Fwiw...


Sorry if this post doesn't make sense. I am writing on a cell phone.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1158
kcross2519
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 26
My Ride: 2001 e46 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
No dice.

FWIW, when I open the program, it immediately opens up a window that says "Turn the key to the on position and hit ok" (with buttons for OK and cancel). I'm not sure if that's a default, or if it will recognize that the scanner is plugged into an OBDII port when things are working correctly.

Ie., it behaves in the same fashion whether or not it's plugged into the car, and whether or not the scanner is plugged into the USB port. I've plugged other devices (camera, flash drive) into both USB ports and they function perfectly fine with those. It doesn't seem to be a connectivity issue with the ports or the cable (i've tried different cables).
This is strange as I recollect it should prompt you to plug in the scanner if it's not plugged into the usb port,

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...Apascanner.png

Try uninstalling the drivers and do the install again, probably stuck on thinking its plugged in but not really reading/connecting.

Last edited by kcross2519; 10-11-2012 at 10:07 AM.
kcross2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #1159
MMMGP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area , CA
Posts: 98
My Ride: 325iT, 1997 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
FWIW, when I open the program, it immediately opens up a window that says "Turn the key to the on position and hit ok" (with buttons for OK and cancel).
This is not default. I do not see this window when opening the program. If I press the "Car ident" icon on the left most column, then the "turn key" message window appears. I have version 1.4.0.6. I tried pressing a number of keys at the software home screen to try and bring up the message window without clicking on the icon, but no luck (to rule out if your Dell laptop has a stuck/sticky key).

Let me see if I can upload the version I have... I'll send you a PM when ready.
__________________
MMMGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #1160
jrcarter_2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 117
My Ride: 323i
Anyone used this software to correct a DSC coding error?
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use