E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #1321
Redflea

My Ride: 2005 330Ci/2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I couldn't do this on my car either. 2002 330ci. But somebody with a similar car could. His was (I think) 2003 auto transmission, and non sport seats. Mine is manual with sport seats. Both should have memory seat option. We could never figure it out - but didn't try too hard - we did try connecting his computer and adapter to my car. I think the car or software works differently with each car.

If you find a solution, please PM me. I don't really need it, but it would be handy, and a cool feature . . . Good luck
Thanks, that's really helpful to know this is a little random. My wife's has the sport seats as well, maybe that's the key difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Redflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #1322
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful to know this is a little random. My wife's has the sport seats as well, maybe that's the key difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
It hard to complain about a cheap adapter using probably pirated software. For $30 it is literally a steal. In fact I'm starting to feel guilty.

Your wife already thinks you are god for putting in the windscreen. Maybe it is time to smile and be happy

Your window 1/2 way up thing sounds fishy. I know they have these sensors on coupes and sedans. Didn't know they they had them on convertibles. But this is my first bmw so consider me basically clueless

Again - if you figure out how to do this, please PM me, I don't follow this thread much. Thanks

Last edited by dknightd; 02-24-2013 at 10:57 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #1323
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
I actually only looked in ZKE...partly a time issue, wife was blowing the "Too much time" whistle on me and wanted me to come in from the garage and watch a movie with her.

I was expecting to find that in ZKE since it's where all the other automatic setting stuff related to unlocking the car is, but looks like I was wrong about that.

EDIT:

I just checked and when I open the seat memory modules, key in position 1 or 2, they do not provide the "Recoding" button required to get into the settings. So for some reason that is locked out for me.
03.5+ non-M E46s will have it in the GM5/ZKE. Everything else will have if it in the SM (dunno what it's called in PASoft... but it's the seat module). Sport seats have nothing to do with it; that feature enabled w/ no issues on my old ZHP.

Edit: On second thought, PASoft might not be able to handle the cars where the seat memory option is in the ZKE5. NCS Expert can definitely do it

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-24-2013 at 11:28 AM.
TerraPhantm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #1324
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
03.5+ non-M E46s will have it in the GM5/ZKE. Everything else will have if it in the SM (dunno what it's called in PASoft... but it's the seat module). Sport seats have nothing to do with it; that feature enabled w/ no issues on my old ZHP.

Edit: On second thought, PASoft might not be able to handle the cars where the seat memory option is in the ZKE5. NCS Expert can definitely do it
Yeah...I may have to break down and go to NCS Expert at some point, but haven't had the time required to set that up, I've only had time for this plug and play simple solution. And NCS Expert requires a different connector than the PA Soft scanner...wish BMW could code it, my wife was willing to pay them but their programming SW choked on her aftermarket radio - couldn't get past initial module handshakes.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #1325
Redflea

ISo I tried a suggestion to see if it would enable the alarm, and disabled all acoustic/audible acknowledgements. That didn't enable the alarm, and also found that along with the acoustic/audible acknowledgements being disabled, the alarm was no longer arming (no blinking clown nose, no rapid blinking clown nose when I used the panic button).

So I went back in and set things back, but instead of going back to how it had been working (lights blink when lock/unlock, clown nose slow blink when lock and fast blink when I use the panic button to set the alarm.

Went back in again and turned off the DWA and tilt sensor and turned it on again, and it still isn't arming, and still have no visual (which worked before) or audible feedback when locking or unlocking, and no clown nose blinking.

Maybe should have left almost well enough alone...any ideas?

Last edited by Redflea; 02-25-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #1326
Redflea

Just wanted to note, in case it helps others, that I was able to get things back to semi-normal by pulling the battery cable for a few minutes and then reconnecting. Thanks very much to Jfoj for the suggestion.

When I powered back up things were back to what I'd call semi-normal:

- Lights blinking at lock/unlock again
- Clown nose blinking at lock again
- No chirping from siren (as always)

So good to know/remember, when all else fails, reboot your computer.

Going to try another siren today/tomorrow, since it looks like it's more likely a HW than a SW issue.

Last edited by Redflea; 02-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #1327
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by katajama View Post
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 from HK and I have promblem with it

I installed it and everything went well.. drivers etc found. Software starts but it wont find my E46. I connected adapter to my dashboard.

"Scan" donīt find anything

When I opened adapter, connected PINS are:
4&5 (together)
7&8 (together)

Any ideas? Any help?
I got exactly the same module. I order from ebay...cheap chinese. I notice It looks different from every other pics. I bought 20 pins adapter and connect to odd under the hood.

It returns with connection error IKE, EWS. It cannot recognise the car ID. I clicked scan, I did not find anything.

I suspect this module design is fault. Anyone has similar module as in above pics
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #1328
BradC

My Ride: 1999 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemaster View Post
I got exactly the same module. I order from ebay...cheap chinese. I notice It looks different from every other pics. I bought 20 pins adapter and connect to odd under the hood.

It returns with connection error IKE, EWS. It cannot recognise the car ID. I clicked scan, I did not find anything.

I suspect this module design is fault. Anyone has similar module as in above pics
Have the same unit purchased from dealextreme, also get Connection Error with IKE, then Connection Error with EWS. Have tried two Notebooks, Windows XP 32bit and Windows 8 32bit, both give same errors.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #1329
BavarianBorn

My Ride: 2005 3.30i ZHP
To the last 2 posts:

1) Did you Get the Port Utility? I had to use it to set the port correctly.

2) Did you set the COM port in the control panel for the adapter?

3) I see you both have slightly older vehicles..... did you get the DME adapter for under the hood?

4) I ended up having to get an INPA adater (different) to see my DME.. but I dont think that's the case for either of you two. You should be able to at least get some activity from PA Soft & the standard connection next to the drivers left knee.
BavarianBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #1330
BradC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBorn View Post
To the last 2 posts:

1) Did you Get the Port Utility? I had to use it to set the port correctly.

2) Did you set the COM port in the control panel for the adapter?

3) I see you both have slightly older vehicles..... did you get the DME adapter for under the hood?

4) I ended up having to get an INPA adater (different) to see my DME.. but I dont think that's the case for either of you two. You should be able to at least get some activity from PA Soft & the standard connection next to the drivers left knee.
Mine is the USB connection so no COM port. I have the 20pin under hood cable and have tried both under hood and under dash, both with the same results.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #1331
spacemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Mine is the USB connection so no COM port. I have the 20pin under hood cable and have tried both under hood and under dash, both with the same results.
Yes, same as BradC....
Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #1332
spacemaster

Success........

BradC and katajama, you need to solder the pin 8 to pin 7. The module join two lines into pin 8. That is only half done. Bridge the pin 7 to 8 and you done.

I now star to worry... I have so many error displayed and don't know how to fix them yet. I read a bit more before attempt anything...
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #1333
BradC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemaster View Post
Success........

BradC and katajama, you need to solder the pin 8 to pin 7. The module join two lines into pin 8. That is only half done. Bridge the pin 7 to 8 and you done.

I now star to worry... I have so many error displayed and don't know how to fix them yet. I read a bit more before attempt anything...
Thanks spacemaster.
I have to turn the key to position 2 to get DME, EGS, ABS and A/C to show up.
I have 12 errors.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #1334
Gasturbine

My Ride: 2005 330ci Cabrio
Can I turn off my day time running lights with one of these? The stealership wants $120 to do it.
Gasturbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #1335
spacemaster

i believe so.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #1336
canelane

My Ride: 04 330ci
Does any one have a scanner that looks like this?

As you can see, pins 7&8 arent soldered to anything, nothing in the circuit board.

Tip of pen pointing at the bottom of circuit board of #7

pins 1,2,4,5, and 16 are soldered

Last edited by canelane; 03-01-2013 at 10:17 AM.
canelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1337
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Can I turn off my day time running lights with one of these? The stealership wants $120 to do it.
Yes, as far as I remember that option can be set w/this package.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #1338
Redflea

It seems like XCar is shipping good versions of the HW these days...
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1339
Aedion

My Ride: 2001 330CI 5spd
not sure if this is the best place to ask, but i picked up my scanner about a month ago and these are the codes that have stuck around after i cleared the rest and drove for a couple weeks.
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3

LEW -> 09/83 - No CAN message (ASC)

LCM -> 22/01 - HVAC, front load sensor, short circuit to ground
24/01 - HVAC, rear load sensor, short circuit to ground
Shadow-memory:
33/01 - Sidelight, front right
38/01 - Sidelight, front left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty

ZKE -> 3D/21 - Central locking system: Short circuit or Open circuit at Motor Tailgate

i dont know what the OBD codes are, so i wasnt able to cross reference them in the DIY subforum. do i need to replace my pre and post cat O2 sensors?
Aedion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1340
Aedion

My Ride: 2001 330CI 5spd
not sure if this is the best place to ask, but i picked up my scanner about a month ago and these are the codes that have stuck around after i cleared the rest and drove for a couple weeks.
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3

LEW -> 09/83 - No CAN message (ASC)

LCM -> 22/01 - HVAC, front load sensor, short circuit to ground
24/01 - HVAC, rear load sensor, short circuit to ground
Shadow-memory:
33/01 - Sidelight, front right
38/01 - Sidelight, front left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty

ZKE -> 3D/21 - Central locking system: Short circuit or Open circuit at Motor Tailgate

i dont know what the OBD codes are, so i wasnt able to cross reference them in the DIY subforum. do i need to replace my pre and post cat O2 sensors?
Aedion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft