E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 179 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1521
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Unless they are going to pay return shipping to China I'd just take it apart regardless of warranty status. Otherwise I'd just try to dispute the charges with your cc company.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using BimmerApp mobile app
I've seen they are just a circuit board, so not sure what I can do with it! Hopefully more news as I get it from Mr Xcar.
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1522
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
You might spot something broken or a cold solder joint... You never know.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #1523
David McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
You might spot something broken or a cold solder joint... You never know.
Mr Xcar wants to view my Laptop with team viewer, I'll indulge later the Laptop is blank except for the scanner application.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #1524
kenhale13

My Ride: '02 bmw 325xi
Does anyone know if a different obd2 to usb dongle can be used for pa soft? I had it working fine on my car then i lost the dongle is came with so a friend had a vai com one but when plugging it in it comes up as hardware not ready
kenhale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #1525
David McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhale13 View Post
Does anyone know if a different obd2 to usb dongle can be used for pa soft? I had it working fine on my car then i lost the dongle is came with so a friend had a vai com one but when plugging it in it comes up as hardware not ready
I would assume they are coded for the Software, as the offical software page shows the same devices as I (think) we all buy.

For my mini-saga... Well the scanner works again!

The things that have changed since it last didn't work (last night) are a complete charge of the car battery (with a nice trickle charger I have) and the temperature.

Our garage does get warm, so I checked the car this morning (06:30 approx) and now the Scanner works!

I've put battery back on charge because as we know our cars dislike imperfect DC, and I'll test several times to day to see if the Scanner is temperature affected.

Of course I also disconnected the battery to charge so perhaps this also helped get the scanner back to life.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1526
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Wow, been busy and have not been on the forum for awhile. A lot of good info posted in the last few weeks.
vbfronkis/ David Mc - have you seen any problems with the PA software? My software seems unstable to me. Here is why - I can not see the live data and SRS module on my 740il (I have seen them before). Also, can you tell if we can use PA soft to enable/disable FOB remote/central lock button and interior light?
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1527
98bimmer

My Ride: E90 330i, E36 328i
Hey guys, I tried using PA soft last night and im also getting the IKE and EWS error, reading through the thread people said use the 20 pin connector in the bay, which i dont have. Would i have to solder pins 7 and 8 for it to work?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #1528
David McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bimmer View Post
Hey guys, I tried using PA soft last night and im also getting the IKE and EWS error, reading through the thread people said use the 20 pin connector in the bay, which i dont have. Would i have to solder pins 7 and 8 for it to work?
For me I had to charge and reset my battery overnight, you will lose clock if you do this so make sure your adjustment pin works ok.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1529
98bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
For me I had to charge and reset my battery overnight, you will lose clock if you do this so make sure your adjustment pin works ok.
my battery is new
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1530
pppham

Yes, you need to solder 7 & 8...
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1531
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppham View Post
Yes, you need to solder 7 & 8...
what does soldering these 2 pins do?

I was able to go through all modules on my e46 without me soldering anything. On my e36, I cant see any modules besdies 3 of them, giving me an IKE error
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #1532
pppham

E46tknv, you are correct if you have seen all modules on your e46 before then you don't need to do anything with the connector. Now, for the e36 it could be the incompatibility of the software. My main problem right now with PA soft was that I have seen all modules even with live data before for my 2000 E38. Now I can not see live data and SRS module. Having said that, on my E46 I still can access to all modules. Hopefully, someone else can jump in and helping us with these issues.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #1533
pppham

E46tknv, can you tell me if we can use PA soft to enable/disable FOB remote/central lock button and interior light?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #1534
98bimmer

Arghhhh I soldered both pins and i'm still getting the same errors
Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #1535
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppham View Post
E46tknv, can you tell me if we can use PA soft to enable/disable FOB remote/central lock button and interior light?
Enable disable fob remote? For what? To put them out of use if you lost it? Yes.

You can enable FOB central lock button to remotely roll windows up and down. I dont know if thats what you were asking..

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #1536
pppham

E46tknv/all, yes, I know PA soft can enable/disable the key thus make your car disable aka can not start and other nice features that we can change to make it more friendly (well depends on the individual requirement). I think I might mislead you in my questions. The question should be - can one enable/disable central lock button/interior light/FOB by using PAsoft? Currently, I am having this issue with central lock button/interior light/FOB (not working). I have checked with Scott (GM guru) and he doesn't think it is GM related. Did not have this problem prior to play with PAsoft. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1537
e46beater

My Ride: 00 328i
Ran into an issue last night... the new 323i I bought will scan and read all modules.. after writing down DME codes I erased the memory and moved on.. after about 20 minutes of being hooked up I noticed nothing would read anymore. I turned off the car and unplugged the scanner..initialized everything again and no access to any modules or a that general info page that comes up before a scan. Disconnected the battery, connected it all again and same error. My scan tool when plugged in to the 20 pin will show the amber light but as soon as i plug in USB the green light comes on and shuts off.. however the computer still recognizes the device as attached.

My 328i did this once too when I was in the system too long i guess? but cycling the key and initializing it all fixed it.

I left the battery disconnected and am going to try it again tonight... also worst case if it doesnt see the 323 ill hook up the 328 and see if it connects.... man its always something lol!

Last edited by e46beater; 06-07-2013 at 08:28 AM.
e46beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #1538
David McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Ran into an issue last night... the new 323i I bought will scan and read all modules.. after writing down DME codes I erased the memory and moved on.. after about 20 minutes of being hooked up I noticed nothing would read anymore. I turned off the car and unplugged the scanner..initialized everything again and no access to any modules or a that general info page that comes up before a scan. Disconnected the battery, connected it all again and same error. My scan tool when plugged in to the 20 pin will show the amber light but as soon as i plug in USB the green light comes on and shuts off.. however the computer still recognizes the device as attached.

My 328i did this once too when I was in the system too long i guess? but cycling the key and initializing it all fixed it.

I left the battery disconnected and am going to try it again tonight... also worst case if it doesnt see the 323 ill hook up the 328 and see if it connects.... man its always something lol!
Mine did similar, charge and reset of battery sorted it
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1539
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
Mine did similar, charge and reset of battery sorted it
Cool thanks for the info. Its been disconnected since last night.. i'll hook it up when I get home and put it back on the charger.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #1540
e46beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
Cool thanks for the info. Its been disconnected since last night.. i'll hook it up when I get home and put it back on the charger.

Well back to square one.. PA says everything is working under settings as far as the adapter being plugged in. Plug into car, then usb to laptop... run PA soft..wait for ignition prompt... turn key on wait about 10 seconds and get no IKE or EWS connections.

plugged into the 328i and get the same thing... uninstalled driver and same issue.. both cars on 4 amp charger while attempting..

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft