E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #1621
RainRider

My Ride: 2003 330i Sedan
BB BMW... It was real frustrating for me too before I got pa soft running. I took a brake from it then came back plugged in the adaptor started the car, started pa soft, let it scan. All I can say is keep trying because pa soft is definitely worth it. You did not make a mistake in not getting a Peake IMO.
RainRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #1622
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post

This is a real pain. Now I think I should have just bought the PEAKE reader.
I ONLY WANT TO RESET THE SES LIGHT. Damn, For this trouble, I could have just gone to the stealership and had them do it. I figured if I ever had to read any other codes or reset the SES light I could do it myself.
Peake Reader is a waste of money in my opinion, I have one and have not used it in 2 years.

Any generic scan tool can read standard OBD codes and reset the light, assuming the problem is corrected that triggered the light.

Another poster as asking what tool to buy, problem is you cannot do everything with one tool..

For other options, read this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #1623
IROCa325

My Ride: 90Z/02 525i/03 325i
Quote:
Can someone tell me what wire pin number reads the DME?
There are 2 wires soldered to pin 8 and none to pin 7, is this the problem?
Also...I'm not sure about pin 1 & 2.
Here:

Pin 1 +ve ignition
Pin 4 Chassis Earth
Pin 5 Signal Earth
Pin 7 Signal ISO 9141-2 K-Line Engine / Auto Transmission
Pin 8 Signal ISO 9141-2 K-Line IKE ABS ESP DSC Airbag
Pin 9 Engine Rotation Speed
Pin 16 +ve Battery

Credit to bimmerforums, see post 202 and 212 here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1726627&page=9

Acccording to this info, it would appear that the DME is on pin 7. As I stated in my last post (#1617) "I had soldered 7&8 pins.." Also, if you want to take the time, there is quite a bit of evidence in the bimmerforums thread that the 7&8 pins need to be connected for full functionality of pa-soft. I opened the dongle and soldered them (took 5 min. tops) before ever using the program. Works great, reads all the modules my car has in ignition pos. 2.
Just a freindly reminder, like jfoj said, if the problem isn't corrected and u reset the SES light, it will just come back.

Hope this'll help u!
IROCa325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #1624
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Peake Reader is a waste of money in my opinion, I have one and have not used it in 2 years.

Any generic scan tool can read standard OBD codes and reset the light, assuming the problem is corrected that triggered the light.

Another poster as asking what tool to buy, problem is you cannot do everything with one tool..

For other options, read this - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=967204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCa325 View Post
Here:

Pin 1 +ve ignition
Pin 4 Chassis Earth
Pin 5 Signal Earth
Pin 7 Signal ISO 9141-2 K-Line Engine / Auto Transmission
Pin 8 Signal ISO 9141-2 K-Line IKE ABS ESP DSC Airbag
Pin 9 Engine Rotation Speed
Pin 16 +ve Battery

Credit to bimmerforums, see post 202 and 212 here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1726627&page=9

Acccording to this info, it would appear that the DME is on pin 7. As I stated in my last post (#1617) "I had soldered 7&8 pins.." Also, if you want to take the time, there is quite a bit of evidence in the bimmerforums thread that the 7&8 pins need to be connected for full functionality of pa-soft. I opened the dongle and soldered them (took 5 min. tops) before ever using the program. Works great, reads all the modules my car has in ignition pos. 2.
Just a freindly reminder, like jfoj said, if the problem isn't corrected and u reset the SES light, it will just come back.

Hope this'll help u!
Thanks guys. I'm not going to give up on getting this up and running.
I'll solder pin 7 and see what happens from there.

I know exactly what caused the SES light to come on. My CAI cone filter came off after being rear ended. The light came on as I was driving home after the accident and as soon as I got home I found the problem. I'm sure this is the fault because another time while driving on a very rough road the SES light came on and I found the filter off the CAI tube. Went to AutoZone and had them read the codes. They reset the SES light and it never came back (this was when they would reset the codes for you).

jfoj > thanks for all of your input, you seem to have a great deal of knowledge on these scanner tools. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you, keep up the good work.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #1625
Mad_Scientist

My Ride: '04 325Ci
ive got a 12 dlollar scanner from autozone that will reset the light. if the light wont go out, then you have a hard fault, not something that requires a drive time to set.
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #1626
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
The DME is "light grayed out" and says "not found". I can not click or double click it.

Tried this with key in pos 1 & 2. Tried it with the car running, still no luck.

Should I connect this in a certain order?
ie: Connect to car, connect to computer, start program, turn key to 1 or 2 or start car.

This is a real pain. Now I think I should have just bought the PEAKE reader.
I ONLY WANT TO RESET THE SES LIGHT. Damn, For this trouble, I could have just gone to the stealership and had them do it. I figured if I ever had to read any other codes or reset the SES light I could do it myself.

Can someone tell me what wire pin number reads the DME?
There are 2 wires soldered to pin 8 and none to pin 7, is this the problem?
Also...I'm not sure about pin 1 & 2.

Funny how other can read the DME and not the SRS or ABS, etc. and I can read 3 pages, but not the DME.
Pin 7 is dme.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #1627
weston_t

My Ride: 1999 bmw 323i
pa 1.4 scanner. Anyone know where to order one that works without the soldering?

The Pa scan tool post are confusing because there are 1000 of them!...and a bunch of different brands....has anyone got a link to one that works out of the box or do I have to do some mods with a soldering iron?...let me know if you ordered one recently that works well with or without soldering...and if you have a link that would be awesome!!
weston_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #1628
saace7

My Ride: 04' 330i ZHP
http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

worked straight out of the box on a XP netbook. I use on an 04 if you have i thiiiiiiink 00' or later then you need to also buy the extra pin adapter because the older cars are not the same.
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #1629
weston_t

mine is a 99...so I would maybe need the 20 pin connector?..if you order the connector for $10...then it works with both new and old cars right?..not just one or the other? I mean you get an additional cord?..right?...thanks!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #1630
saace7

My Ride: 04' 330i ZHP
Ya you get another cord. You need it. It plugs in under the hood compared to under the dash.
saace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #1631
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
I don't get why so many people have issues with these? They are all the same, as long as it can read/write. I just purchased a $4 Bluetooth one from ebay which I've been using without issue.
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #1632
trancenation

My Ride: 330i
pa 1.4 scanner. Anyone know where to order one that works without the soldering?

Xcar360 is the way to go. That's where I got mine and it works wonders!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #1633
weston_t

ok guys thanks...because some say they had to solder stuff to get it working...and others had bad experience with some of the really cheap ones...so its cool to hear what REALLY WORKS right out of the box..
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #1634
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Quote:
Originally Posted by weston_t View Post
mine is a 99...so I would maybe need the 20 pin connector?..if you order the connector for $10...then it works with both new and old cars right?..not just one or the other? I mean you get an additional cord?..right?...thanks!!!
I had to get the adapter and solder the last two pins to get it to work at all on my car. I got the scanner from xcar360 an my car is 5/2000. Thu switched it on 6/2000 because I had a 7/2000 and I didn't need the adapter or have to solder it.
Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #1635
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Buy it and try it! If it doesn't work AND you know you installed the software correctly.... Open it up to see if it needs to be modded. Otherwise.... Just use it!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #1636
weston_t

I ordered the xcar 360 one...seems like you guys like that one....and if it doesnt work sounds like I can solder it to make it work...and you guys know where to solder so with your help it should be ok....its certainly cheap enough...the resettools one seems to have a lot of documentation too...but its twice the price..and looks like it sometimes has to be soldered also...I am pretty damn excited about getting it...the problem is its being shipped from hong kong!..couldnt really find a usa seller that was reasonably priced..anyway I hope today is a shipping day in HK!..
Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #1637
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
I don't get why so many people have issues with these? They are all the same, as long as it can read/write. I just purchased a $4 Bluetooth one from ebay which I've been using without issue.
Got a link? I'd buy it just to see how it works
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #1638
matt0

My Ride: 318i e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Got a link? I'd buy it just to see how it works
This is the current one I'm using, works fine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-Bl...884ecc7&_uhb=1
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #1639
Gasturbine

My Ride: 2005 330ci Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasturbine View Post
Most of us want to make one change, or otherwise make changes that are permanent. At least I did.

So I was thinking...since my scanner just sits in my garage, I would be willing to ship it to another forum member...you can make your changes, then ship it back...all you do is pay for shipping.

Heck, if we can get a few people interested, we can arrange it to be shipped directly to the next member.

You will need to email me at "ckg[at sign]osu.edu" with your real contact/mailing info, and a phone number I can call to confirm.

Would include the BMW scanner w/ Pa Soft 1.4.0 & cable, as shown below.

What do you think?

Ohio, to Florida, to Texas...I should have sent a gnome with it to collect travel stickers!

You get it shipped to you...you pay to ship it to the next guy (cost $8 to send from Ohio to Florida).

Anyway, a bump to anybody who is interested.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #1640
Mad_Scientist

My Ride: '04 325Ci
Re: *OFFICIAL* BMW Diagnostic Scanner PA Soft 1.4 Thread

Bavarian technik

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 07-05-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Mad_Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft