E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Sports Central

Sports Central
NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, CFL, NLL, Olympics etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
teach mike larry about soccer

i'm temporarily living in london and would like to go to a soccer game, just for the experience. however, i have no idea wtf i'm looking at. apparently, there's a premier league, a football league one, a football league two, etc.

i'm assuming the premier league is the "best" one since i've actually heard of some of those teams. what are the other leagues? are they like the equivalent of minor league baseball games (i noticed they're cheaper)? if so, is it worth going?

thanks guys
Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
dmon_101

My Ride: has sexy fogs/shoes
Send a message via AIM to dmon_101
don't care and drink beer, that's my advice

also, offsides in soccer is the worst rule in all of sports, and indoor is MUCH better than outdoor

Dealer Programmable Options | Projector Fogs FTW
There are a lot of Fs and too many Ks in the F/M/K scenario <- posted before I met my wife
To answer your question, it's something you can find by searching the forum or using Google
dmon_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
11 players per side, including 1 goal keeper AKA keeper, Goally.
layout is determined at the start. eg. 4-3-3, or 3-4-3, thats 4 forwards, 3 mid-fielders, 3 defenders, and goally, or 3 fwd, 4 mids, 3 defenders, and goally, respectively. You will hear them talk about this.

The game is real football, because you only use your feet, as you know. no hands, only the goally can hand the ball, and if one of his guys kicks it back to him, he cant put a hand on it then ( that wasnt always that way)

chest, shoulders, head, face, belly, all in play, just no arms, thats from where the jersey stops on down.
There isnt supposed to be any holding, but you can use your body as a shield.

When you slide tackle a person, you are not supposed to do it from the back, and if from the side, it must be clean (all ball) if you go after the opponents feet, thats a foul. If you and the goal keeper are going for it, you back off as soon as he touches it with his hand (this is also a fairly new rule, as guys use to try to fumble the goally)

There is 1 ref, and 2 linesmen, they run the sides, and help the ref decide which team has play after an incident, or whatever. and you will see them running up and down to side to try to see if there is an off sides. Thats when the opposing team kicks the ball and they have a FWD player that behind the ALL the defenders, and he was there, before the ball was kicked. this eliminates FWD hanging out behind the defenders waiting for a lucky break. if the ball is kicked and said FWD runs pass the defenders, then its fair game.

Fouls committed by the defending team inside the 18yd box, thats the bigger of the 2 boxes around each goal, can and usually results in a Penalty kick. they go to the dot, 10 yards and everyone stay on the 18 yard line and cant enter until the ball is kicked. its 1 on 1 with the goally, if goally knocks it out and someone else knocks it in, fair game, but no one moves till the kick is taken.

Other fouls may result in a free kick. which may be direct or indirect. indirect just means 2 people have to touch it, a sort of pass, but that pass may have the ball tapped with a foot and not moved, then p2 takes a shot if he choses.
Direct kick, they can shoot straight on. this is generally where you see the wall in front and the goally, or keeper telling them to move left or right so he can see the ball. i think they can be no closer than 7 ft, (dont remember)

game is 2 halves of 45 minutes each. then Overtime, which is generally time for the ball kicked outside or player laying on the field playing hurt, etc... then there is Penalty shoot out, if its still a draw. This is where each team (iirc) gets 5 shots. and winner is decided. it VERY VERY rarely goes beyond that.

ball outside on the side is a throw in. 2 hand on the ball, all the way from behind the head, and both hands must leave the ball at the same time, and both feet on the deck. else its a foul throw and the other team gets the throw in, and the players feet must not cross into the line when throwing in.

if YOUR team knocks it out to the left or right of YOUR goal, then its a corner = other team put ball on the arc in the corner of the corresponding side it went out on, and try to setup their player to score. If youre good you can curl the ball all the way in also.
If YOUR team knocks the ball out on THEIR left or right of the goal. its a their bal, and they kick from the smaller of the two boxes around the goal.

hmmm, what else am i forgetting. I think thats the gist of it. if there's anything else im sure others will add, or correct me. If you have a specific question, ask away.

Last edited by Snik; 02-01-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Snik
OEM ///Member

oh, the leagues, i dont get into it, i havemt been able to follow a damn thing for years, just watch what you can, its all good.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Mike Larry

lol snikwad. i appreciate the help, but all i wanted to know was whether it's a good, rowdy time at non-premier league matches. and what exactly are these other leagues?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
Whatever you need to know ask me. There is just too much to explain. The English premier league is what is primarily followed in England, containing the most elite teams in England. Also the champions league is the most prestigious tournament as it has the most elite teams from all of Europe. There is still so much more but that's the quickest overview of what you'd perhaps like to know while your over there.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
TekNoire7

Also the leagues below it is somewhat similar to minor league baseball but not quite. The teams from the bottom tiers allow for relegation and advancing between leagues. That is how it stays so competitive. In theory if a team from league two places first in each advancing season then it can eventually make it to the top premier league. The structure is like this for most soccer leagues.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
Also the leagues below it is somewhat similar to minor league baseball but not quite. The teams from the bottom tiers allow for relegation and advancing between leagues. That is how it stays so competitive. In theory if a team from league two places first in each advancing season then it can eventually make it to the top premier league. The structure is like this for most soccer leagues.
omg thank god you're here lol.

ok, so i was looking at some matches featuring teams like barnet, brentford, charlton athletic, etc.

my friends and i dont really care about watching soccer so much as we would like a real rowdy, drunken crowd that cares way too much about sports. so for example, when you go to a minor league baseball game, noone really cares about the game; it's just a nice day at the ballpark. if you go to a yankees game, people would care more; even if the yankees are playing some real sh1tty team, we'd all still cheer and watch the game. we're looking for the latter. is that the type of experience i would get from these non-premier games? the premier league tickets are insanely expensive; i can't afford them
Old 02-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Snik
OEM ///Member

U know. After I wrote all That sh1t. I re read your post and realized that's not what u wanted. Lol.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
U know. After I wrote all That sh1t. I re read your post and realized that's not what u wanted. Lol.
it's alright; if i end up going, i'll take a look at your post and familiarize myself with the game
Old 02-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
lol snikwad. i appreciate the help, but all i wanted to know was whether it's a good, rowdy time at non-premier league matches. and what exactly are these other leagues?
The equivalent to AAA and AA minor league baseball is called the coca-cola N-Power league I think. Fans dont care as much. So they won't Kill you over a loss, just knock your teeth out
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
TekNoire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
omg thank god you're here lol.

ok, so i was looking at some matches featuring teams like barnet, brentford, charlton athletic, etc.

my friends and i dont really care about watching soccer so much as we would like a real rowdy, drunken crowd that cares way too much about sports. so for example, when you go to a minor league baseball game, noone really cares about the game; it's just a nice day at the ballpark. if you go to a yankees game, people would care more; even if the yankees are playing some real sh1tty team, we'd all still cheer and watch the game. we're looking for the latter. is that the type of experience i would get from these non-premier games? the premier league tickets are insanely expensive; i can't afford them
Yes you would get a similar experience to that in a championship match (one tier below premier league) . However since it is mid season I'm not exactly sure of how the excitement at those games would be but I highly suggest going to a West Ham game. They are a championship team (however they were a premier league team for a long time and recently were relegated). The fans there are quite insane and you should get what your looking for. Also since west ham is a London club it shouldn't be hard going to a match. Also no problem the soccer ***** is here as most people would say. If you want pure atmosphere and pure football where price doesn't matter go to a Manchester united, Liverpool, or a Chelsea match. Out of those three I recommend Liverpool.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Hi Mike

The English League system is set up as follows:

Premier League - Elite division featuring top teams like Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City, Tottenham, etc. Play 38 games per season (20 team league, 19 home and away games). Pinnacle of English soccer. Never cheap to go to the games and for most of the big clubs difficult to get tickets, too. Top four teams qualify for the Champions League, Europe's pre-eminent club competition. Next two teams and the domestic FA cup winners qualify for the Europa League (just like the CL but with lower ranked teams). Bottom three teams in Premier League get relegated to the Championship every season.
Championship - the second tier of English football. Home to my team (Ipswich Town) and 23 others. Tickets generally more easily available and the league is sometimes described as the most competetive in the country. For example, my team (who are doing crap and 5 places off the bottom) beat the league leaders West Ham 5-1 last Tuesday. The league has some excellent players and the standard is typically very good. The top two teams get promoted to the PL, as does the winner of a four team knock-out "playoffs" for teams placed 3-6 at the end of the season. Playoff games are typically all-out games where the scoring can be high. Bottom 3 teams get relgated to League One.
League One - third tier of English football. Some teams fallen from grace (both Sheffield clubs and Charlton are ex-PL teams) and typically easy to get tickets. Standard of game is still good with teams like Charlton really showing the way in 2011/12 season. I'd reccomend a trip to the Valley (Charlton's home ground) as it's a decent (but small) ground with a good atmosphere. With the team pushing for promotion you should see a decent game. Top two and playoff winners go into Championship, bottom four clubs in to League Two.
League Two - the fourth tier of English football and the cheapest to watch. Atmosphere typically not fantastic as these clubs can stuggle to get fans through the gate. Typically attendance in this league will be a few thousand only and the grounds can be pretty poor. Top three teams and playoff winners (finishers 4-7 in league) go up to League One, bottom two fall into the non-league Blue Square Premier division (a nightmare scenario for any club). There have been some extraordinary games at the end of the season where clubs threatened with relegation into non-league have pulled some remarkable results to stay up (including Barnet who continually flirt with the drop).

A few words of advice.
1. Don't turn up drunk as you won't get in. After the hooliganism of the 70's and 80's, the police don't take kindly to fans being drunk at a football match.
2. Racist/homophobic chanting will likely see you ejected and arrested. The England team captain is up in court in July charged with racially abusing another player. These are verboten topics on the terraces.
3. The PL and the Championship are all seater grounds. League's One and Two also have clubs with standing terraces. Terraces are the really "authentic" parts of the ground where the real hardcore fans typically site themselves. You get the most noise and the best banter in the terraces typically. Banned from the top two leagues after the Hillsborough tragedy where 96 people were killed in a crush on terracing in the '90's, any club that has been in the top two tiers but are curently in League's One and Two will be all seater (this includes Charlton). For me, I'd love all grounds to have some terracing, but it's "progress" I suppose...
4. Enjoy yourself and get involved with the home fans! The banter is great and you'll have a good time if you stretch your lungs!

If you want any advice on specific games drop me a PM!

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010

Last edited by Goughie; 02-06-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mike View Post
The equivalent to AAA and AA minor league baseball is called the coca-cola N-Power league I think. Fans dont care as much. So they won't Kill you over a loss, just knock your teeth out
Oh dear Lord. An Alabama resident explaining the intricacies of football fans in the UK? I've seen a lot of fail on E46F over the years but that one takes the biscuit!

Ask any home fan what their team means to them - any fan. It's tribal. Ask any Spurs fan what they think of Arsenal, any Ipswich fan what they think of Norwich, Any Man United fan what they think of Liverpool, etc...

To quote from the internet, it's srs bz...

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ hahahah... thats funny. `
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Mike Larry

goughie said biscuit
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
AutomanTurk

My Ride: '03 330i, '06 325i
Not too familiar with the lower English leagues but I do know Leeds has a heavy following, i suggest picking a team close to you and youtube their fans. If you want the ultimate experience just cough up the extra $$ and go to a premier league game, sometimes you get what you pay for. Look into Derbies (Rival teams) thats when the fans really go ape ****!
AutomanTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Sponger
Banned

My Ride: 2000 328ci
I am so foking jealous of you right now Mike Larry. I was in London for 3 weeks and the best I saw was a uni game with about 50 people there. If I were you I would latch onto Fulham. Dempsey is a hero and those fans are as passionate as any on the planet.

When you say Premier League tickets are expensive, how much we talking?
Sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #19
Goughie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponger View Post
When you say Premier League tickets are expensive, how much we talking?
Most PL teams have large season ticket contingents so actually getting a seat can be difficult at these clubs. Some clubs "grade" games according to the opposition/expected demand. For example a ticket for Man United v Liverpool will cost you more than one for Man U v Wigan. Don't expect change from 50 for A grade games. Lower grade games come in at around 30 typically. Even at these prices, it is rare to see Old Trafford anything less than full at over 70,000 fans each week.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goughie View Post
2. Racist/homophobic chanting will likely see you ejected and arrested. The England team captain is up in court in July charged with racially abusing another player. These are verboten topics on the terraces.
*cough* Suarez *ahem*