E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
MadChemist

My Ride: None
Mine primarily does it when going from high rpms to low rpms where there is more torque involved, such as shifting from first to second. If your happens while shifting, try driving around and instead of shifting normal, try pressing in the clutch waiting a second or two and then switching gears. If you don't hear a clunk when you shift that way, then it is most likely your rear diff bushing. By waiting a second or two, you are allowing the stress on the driveline to alleviate.
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
E30m3ochoa

My Ride: E46 325ci
So I guess it only does it when I change gear and I am releasing the clutch a little faster than normal. When I release it slow it doesn't do it but on occasion I get a soft clunk. Oh, when you are stopping but don't end up and shift to first while running, is it suppose to engage very rough?

I found this clutch kit
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=94736563352
E30m3ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
MadChemist

If you are downshifting into first while moving, your car won't like that. I typically only downshift into second while moving. It's easier on everything. The clutch you post, I have never used the company and haven't heard of them. I would probably stay away unless you can get some good reviews on them. If it sounds too good to be true, probably is. Don't cheap out on parts for your car. It will only cause problems later. When you say engaging rough, do you hear grinding or is it just difficult to get into gear?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
E30m3ochoa

So about creating the load and pressing the clutch for the diff bearing could I just rev the engine and press the clutch? Well I only downshift to 1st when I am moving really slow about to stop. Wouldnt having the car in low rpms in second gear affect it in the long run to? About the clutch, one of my friends has it but he recently got it so I am not sure if thats a good person to ask for a review. So sticking to a brand that you or someone knows and not to be fooled by the awesome prize. Sounds easy enough. The roughness of the gear is like a stutter like when you are in first gear at low rpms without pressing the clutch and it stutters. I dont know if I am making myself clear.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
MadChemist

Yea that should work in terms of creating a load but from the sounds of it, your rear diff bushing is damaged. You car stuttering might be that your clutch isn't engaging properly. I would stick with changing out the throwout bearing / clutch first and then see if it persists.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #26
E30m3ochoa

Oh ok, I guess that is another thing that I have to fix. So about the clutch, what is the difference between a 6 puck and a 4 puck clutch? So I did some research on the kit I sent you and there are mixed reviews about them. Do you get any squeaks from your clutch?
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
MadChemist

Never had any squeaks. It is solid. In terms of 6 puck and 4 puck. For everyday driving, you want to actually stay away from those types of clutches. Clutches work on the principle of pressure(grabbing force). With a 6 puck clutch, your able to handle more torque/power because of the higher pressure the clutch is applying to the flywheel. Just some basic physics, the amount of force applied to the clutch/ flywheel is the same but the area that it is done over is small resulting in a greater pressure. So a four puck clutch can handle even more power/torque. The downside to this is in traffic, it is more like a switch (on or off). There is no slipping of the clutch since it will just grab quickly making it hard to drive in traffic.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
E30m3ochoa

The reason I asked about the squeaks was because the other clutch had some complaints about squeaks. Oh so I guess I have to find something like the one you suggested or that one. Plus it's not like I am packing a lot of horsepower or torque, my car is stocked and today I am going to install an intake but other than that it's all stocked.