E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: LP-580-2
OT GasKing needs some help. Paging JonJon and NFR

So basically I'm in a graduate program at an undisclosed school. The school I go to is partially funded by state/city so the employees are state and or city employees. I had an issue with one of the advisors for my program where he was extremely rude and unprofessional to me (I was asking basic questions regarding my program). My appt was for a hour and he tried kicking me out after 25 minutes. I recorded the whole conversation on my phone (I was very polite and courteous btw). I was wondering if me recording the audio is legal given the facts of the situation. If it is legal I am going to pursue this further to the schools administration and show them the audio. FYI I'm in NY. All help appreciated.

Long Island and NYC members that need fuel oil hit me up! $15 discount to all members.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
recommend looking up your state's recording laws. For example, in certain states it's a one-party consent state where only one person (such as yourself) has to give consent to being recorded and the other party is SOL

I think that's how it goes.

Website after quick googling:

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recor...te-state-guide

edit:

looks like NY is a one party consent state

Quote:
Summary of statute(s): An individual who is a party to either an in-person conversation or electronic communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents. N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05 (McKinney 2012).

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-05-2016 at 06:27 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Apparently that's illegal in NY

Quote:
In-person conversations: The "mechanical overhearing of a conversation," or the "intentional overhearing or recording of a conversation or discussion, without the consent of at least one party thereto, by a person not present" is illegal. N.Y. Penal Law § 250.00. A state appellate court held that individuals who talk in a manner such that a non-participating third party may freely overhear the conversation may have no reasonable expectation of privacy in it. New York v. Kirsh, 575 N.Y.S.2d 306 (N.Y. App. Div. 1991). Thus, a journalist does not need consent to record conversations in public where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. - See more at: http://www.rcfp.org/reporters-record....SmXH8kgq.dpuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
That's not my reading of your excerpt, apparently we're both referencing the same website. lol

It says at least one party (which in this case would be GK) has to give consent.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-05-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post

It says one party consent no?

Long Island and NYC members that need fuel oil hit me up! $15 discount to all members.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Help me out guys. This guy was such a pompous douche, extremely unprofessional. I need some hard evidence before I go after this guy

Old 01-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Help me out guys. This guy was such a pompous douche, extremely unprofessional. I need some hard evidence before I go after this guy
Googling shows that NY is a one-party consent state.

Quote:
"New York Recording Law

Note: This page covers information specific to New York. For general information concerning the use of recording devices see the Recording Phone Calls, Conversations, Meetings and Hearings section of this guide.
New York Wiretapping Law

New York's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. New York makes it a crime to record to record or eavesdrop on an in-person or telephone conversation unless one party to the conversation consents. N.Y. Penal Law §§ 250.00, 250.05. (link is to the entire code, you need to click on the Penal Code section, then choose Article 250 and locate the specific provisions). Thus, if you operate in New York, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties. "
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/new-york-recording-law
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Ok awesome. I hope VaderDave can chime in and interpret this better. FYI it's sell phone audio that I took during our face to face conversation.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
You're going to "go after" a professor in your graduate program for being a "pompous douche, extremely unprofessional"? I hope you've surveyed the rest of the staff to determine that they all dislike said professor first, or graduate before "going after" him....

Last edited by Wraisil; 01-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
GasKing
OEM ///Member

He's not a professor. Director/adviser to program. All my professors love me and it's my last semester to this program and my grades speak for themselves. Very well known school FYI. I will not tolerate things like this or he will continue to do this to other students. This man needs to be checked.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
He's not a professor. Director/adviser to program. All my professors love me and it's my last semester to this program and my grades speak for themselves. Very well known school FYI. I will not tolerate things like this or he will continue to do this to other students. This man needs to be checked.
Well you go right ahead and "check him", I'm sure he'll be impressed and change his ways after you do so. There is absolutely no way that pissing of the "director/advisor" for a program at a "very well known graduate school" could possibly be anything but good for you...

Last edited by Wraisil; 01-05-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
In what way was he rude or unprofessional? What did you he say to you that caused you to be offended?
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-05-2016 at 10:06 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Listen I'm thick skinned and I deal with people with attitudes day in and day out. In one ear and out the other. This guy went above and beyond with his pompous douche baggery and is very condescending. This man has no place in the education system. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by GasKing; 01-05-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: Currently a blonde!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I what way was he rude or unprofessional? What did you he say to you that caused you to be offended?
^^^This!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
GasKing
OEM ///Member

It's not so much that I was offended, but I will do everything in my power to let the administration know what kind of employee they have working for them. Fortunately I have donated to the school so it's a bit easier getting the higher ups on the phone.

Last edited by GasKing; 01-05-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #16
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Back on topic please. So what's the verdict with the audio? Legal? I'm going to bring a copy of the law when I speak to administration.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
MDydinanM

details, man, we need details!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #18
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
That's not my reading of your excerpt, apparently we're both referencing the same website. lol

It says at least one party (which in this case would be GK) has to give consent.
Correct

Let him dig himself in further by denial and lying before producing audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-05-2016 at 07:14 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Correct
JJ aproved, Gasking, can't get much better than that on e46 OT
Old 01-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
GasKing
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Correct

Let him dig himself in further by denial and lying before producing audio.

That was the plan. Anymore tips? I'll also have that law on paper when they start crying "illegal to record" bullshit.