E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 3.68 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #461
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I correct people all the time on insure/assure/ensure.
Now you owe each an apology
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #462
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Now you owe each an apology
Nope lol. Trust me. you are wrong. you already admitted that i was correct. notice the same gesture isn't coming from me?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #463
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I bought a manual to insure that I never wear makeup
Ensure, not insure.

You ensure a condition.

You insure a car through Geico.

You assure somebody they'll be alright.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #464
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Mango, shut your cock-holster and just PM him about it if it impacts you so much! If you're such a stickler for grammar, then you should have mentioned that chamber is not the same as camber to Flash.

You're not that big of a deal, get over it.

Moving on. Betty, I ordered some vacuum hoses from the dealer ($61.80 worth) to finish the vacuum line conversion. The suction jet pump will be relocated to the engine bay instead of over top the brake booster. This will eliminate the duct tape mod I did to connect the F-connector to the vacuum lines.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #465
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Ensure, not insure.

You ensure a condition.

You insure a car through Geico.

You assure somebody they'll be alright.
This is what I've always thought (and that's how I use those words)... but apparently all 3 are synonyms

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/ensure

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #466
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Nobody ever explained anything to me...
It's an alignment, what do you need to know other than the numbers in the report?
Or are you saying they didn't give you a report?

Edit: just saw your other post.
Your mistake was to take it to an old shop.
The standards for alignments nowadays have raised so high that a written report isn't acceptable.
If they're not using lasers and computers, don't do it.
I know. I need to bring my car to the dealership but most dealerships I know are not friendlywith aftermarket suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
199/197 is very respectable for an auto

Thanks. I need Iceman to chime in. He is the resident Dyno subject matter experts

Quote:
Yeah that is actually pretty good for an auto.. You did well. i'll have to make this woman a uniform. hope you have big biceps cause you're earning lots of patches!!

In for video of you driving around with limoncello meowing in the passenger seat
Quote:
Not wrong
2nd definition

2 (insure someone against) secure or protect someone against (a possible contingency): such changes could insure against further violence and unrest.
Quote:
I see it all the time.

Wear your seatbelt to ensure your safety.

Assure is something you do to a person, a group of people, or an animal to remove doubt or anxiety, as in Squiggly assured Aardvark that he'd come to the party early. You can remember that assure can only be used with things that are alive (and both assure and alive start with a). Only things that are alive can feel doubt or anxiety, so only they can be assured.

Ensure is something you do to guarantee an event or condition, as in To ensure there'd be enough food, Aardvark ordered twice as much food as last year. You can remember that guarantee has those two e's on the end to help you remember that to ensure (with an e) is to guarantee something.

Insure can be done to a person, place, or thing, but it's reserved for limiting financial liability, most commonly by obtaining an insurance policy, as in Aardvark wondered if the caterers were insured against loss. You can remember that we take out insurance to protect our income if we become unemployed, disabled, or injured in an accident. Both insure and income begin with -in.

Quote:
You lost. give it up. I correct people all the time on insure/assure/ensure. your usage is plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Nobody ever explained anything to me...
It's an alignment, what do you need to know other than the numbers in the report?
Or are you saying they didn't give you a report?

Edit: just saw your other post.
Your mistake was to take it to an old shop.
The standards for alignments nowadays have raised so high that a written report isn't acceptable.
If they're not using lasers and computers, don't do it.
Quote:
199/197 is very respectable for an auto

Quote:
Yeah that is actually pretty good for an auto.. You did well. i'll have to make this woman a uniform. hope you have big biceps cause you're earning lots of patches!!

In for video of you driving around with limoncello meowing in the passenger seat
Quote:
Not wrong
2nd definition

2 (insure someone against) secure or protect someone against (a possible contingency): such changes could insure against further violence and unrest.
Quote:
I see it all the time.

Wear your seatbelt to ensure your safety.

Assure is something you do to a person, a group of people, or an animal to remove doubt or anxiety, as in Squiggly assured Aardvark that he'd come to the party early. You can remember that assure can only be used with things that are alive (and both assure and alive start with a). Only things that are alive can feel doubt or anxiety, so only they can be assured.

Ensure is something you do to guarantee an event or condition, as in To ensure there'd be enough food, Aardvark ordered twice as much food as last year. You can remember that guarantee has those two e's on the end to help you remember that to ensure (with an e) is to guarantee something.

Insure can be done to a person, place, or thing, but it's reserved for limiting financial liability, most commonly by obtaining an insurance policy, as in Aardvark wondered if the caterers were insured against loss. You can remember that we take out insurance to protect our income if we become unemployed, disabled, or injured in an accident. Both insure and income begin with -in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Mango, shut your cock-holster and just PM him about it if it impacts you so much! If you're such a stickler for grammar, then you should have mentioned that chamber is not the same as camber to Flash.

Moving on. Betty, I ordered some vacuum hoses from the dealer ($61.80 worth) to finish the vacuum line conversion. The suction jet pump will be relocated to the engine bay instead of over top the brake booster. This will eliminate the duct tape mod I did to connect the F-connector to the vacuum lines.

Quote:
This is what I've always thought (and that's how I use those words)... but apparently all 3 are synonyms

LMAO this is why I love e46fanatics. E46fanatics is where people can go off on a tangent from another wild tangent
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #467
Jcxq

My Ride: 325ci
Alright that was a lot to read and I'm going to be honest I skipped through everything
I have a 323ci engine **** the bed I want to drop a B30 in it.. what do I need exactly for this swap to be successful ?
Jcxq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #468
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Great thread. Items of note:

God please tell me you did not pay $240 plus shipping for a plastic valve cover cover, PLEASE!

Mango freaks about Tow hook, Hood and Ski Rack, fails to notice red/orange angel eyes.

Don't go to a shop that has a great rep from performing alignments on classic american cars, cause like, classic american cars all have 0 camber!

It gave me chills to hear about this shop, because I've experienced idiots like this in Town Fair Tire, etc and they are all the same, trying to scam you into an "Alignment" that makes your car worse after than it was going in!

I hate it so much, I now perform "driveway" alignments myself just by eyeing the front wheels against the fender and rear of the car and adjusting the tie rods. Works like a charm! Just takes like 40 tries to dial it in..arrrgh.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #469
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
By the way, I need to check in with my ensurance company so they can insure me that my policy is indeed correct. That way, if I ever get into an accident (heaven forbid), I know my assurance will cover and damages over my deductible!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #470
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcxq View Post
Alright that was a lot to read and I'm going to be honest I skipped through everything
I have a 323ci engine **** the bed I want to drop a B30 in it.. what do I need exactly for this swap to be successful ?
Sorry...nothing will work. Don't waste your time like me

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #471
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Great thread. Items of note:

God please tell me you did not pay $240 plus shipping for a plastic valve cover cover, PLEASE!

Mango freaks about Tow hook, Hood and Ski Rack, fails to notice red/orange angel eyes.

Don't go to a shop that has a great rep from performing alignments on classic american cars, cause like, classic american cars all have 0 camber!

It gave me chills to hear about this shop, because I've experienced idiots like this in Town Fair Tire, etc and they are all the same, trying to scam you into an "Alignment" that makes your car worse after than it was going in!

I hate it so much, I now perform "driveway" alignments myself just by eyeing the front wheels against the fender and rear of the car and adjusting the tie rods. Works like a charm! Just takes like 40 tries to dial it in..arrrgh.
Thanks for the note on the alignment. They were trying to aligned my car to 0degree camber

I got the ///m at a good deal

Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #472
Jcxq

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Sorry...nothing will work. Don't waste your time like me

I'm not doing it with a ZHP tho I'm just doing a normal 330ci, does it matter?
Jcxq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #473
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:

If you poke around on grammar forums, the general rule is it's barely accepted, but frowned upon to interchangeably use insure and ensure. There are two different words for a reason

Just like 1980's and 1980s. It's incorrect to use the apostrophe unless showing possession but still considered OK in some circles. I believe it's fine in the UK??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I know. I need to bring my car to the dealership but most dealerships I know are not friendlywith aftermarket suspension

Thanks. I need Iceman to chime in. He is the resident Dyno subject matter experts
LMAO this is why I love e46fanatics. E46fanatics is where people can go off on a tangent from another wild tangent

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #474
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post

Stinger and I have no beef w/ eachother. We're just having a friendly argument. Go away. I've never really seen or noticed you before so I'll just chalk your comments up as not knowing what goes on around here. We tend to go on tangents. You'll learn!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #475
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
By the way, I need to check in with my ensurance company so they can insure me that my policy is indeed correct. That way, if I ever get into an accident (heaven forbid), I know my assurance will cover and damages over my deductible!

I insure you, Trizzuth, your insurance company will assure your coverage in the event of a covered loss. What ensurance company do you have??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #476
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Stinger and I have no beef w/ eachother. We're just having a friendly argument. Go away. I've never really seen or noticed you before so I'll just chalk your comments up as not knowing what goes on around here. We tend to go on tangents. You'll learn!
No matter how friendly the argument, PMs are better than going OT and shitting on this thread about grammar. Not hard to believe you frequent a forum dedicated to grammar...

And how can you notice anyone on this forum? Half of the recent posts are you spouting off as if its gospel. You talk too much. That's okay though, block list has been updated.

Flash, took possession of the vac lines...they require some different mounting points though. Now I have to wait til my order is sent from Bavarian Autohaus to retrofit the lines

Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #477
M3Nick
RACECAR Backwrds Is RACECAR

My Ride: '06 M3 ZCP, Cayman-S
Nice job Flash.

I was reading the thread and all the parts bought, like the lift and other equipment. That plus the cost of the car parts, maybe I missed it but how much did this whole project cost you? Over $10K ?
M3Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #478
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Nick View Post
Nice job Flash.

I was reading the thread and all the parts bought, like the lift and other equipment. That plus the cost of the car parts, maybe I missed it but how much did this whole project cost you? Over $10K ?
this project can be completed cheaply. the cost would just be for a used M54B30 engine. The engine goes around $2000-3600 depending on where you buy them. If you search long enough you will find a great deal and get free shipping too.

Everything else is plug and play. Just swap all your subcomponents from your old engine and plug it directly to your new engine.

I don't know how much this project cost but I know we deviated from the original plan. For example, my husband bought the used 2002 325i and of couse I bought the lift.

All the new sensors, gaskets and fluid add up also.

The goal for this project wasn't to get extra HP/TQ for cheap. I just wanted the "challenge" of swapping out an engine and the curiousity of running the engine on MS42 and reusing the Shark Injector.

Last edited by flashmeow; 11-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #479
Mango
A full five stars, son

Well job well done flash. You're getting a uniform for sure. don't forget to mention if changing to a 03+ MS45 engine (such as ZHP) on an MS43 car or other early car, oxygen sensors, coils, maf will need to be changed over to your old stuff... and maybe a couple other things but nothing too major right?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #480
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Well job well done flash. You're getting a uniform for sure. don't forget to mention if changing to a 03+ MS45 engine (such as ZHP) on an MS43 car or other early car, oxygen sensors, coils, maf will need to be changed over to your old stuff... and maybe a couple other things but nothing too major right?
I know huh? I definitely "earned my stripe"

anyhow, you are absolutely right about converting a car from MS42 to MS43. I think the conversion is for doable and yet challenging (in a fun/curiousity type of way). A few members on huh (HornHung) is doing the conversion.
I have the majority of the componets already stocked up such as the TB, Fuel Rail, Injectors, Wire Harness, etc

The only thing I don't like about the conversion is sending our a MS43 DME and our original EWS to RPM Motorsport in Canada (damn canadians) and have them aligned the new DME to your EWS. THis of course will cost $400 which is a rip off

Last edited by flashmeow; 11-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Tags
too many pictures