E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 3.61 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #101
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Pan looks like it was painted on the inside, my M54 pan looked nothing like yours on the inside (texture should be thesame on the outside as on the inside)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #102
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
Later on I removed the engine pan to check for the oil pump nut and it was tight! This mean that the previous owner didn't speed lot of times on 6000+ RPM.
Your oil pump nut being tight has no bearing on whether or not the car was driven hard. All ZHP engines have an upgraded nut with loctite from the factory and the whole "oil pump nut" issue is over stated on this forum. Does it happen? Sure. Is it common? Not really.

Since you have the engine out of the car it isn't a bad idea to weld it on or wire it on, but it is far from a NECESSITY on a street machine.

BMW designed these engines to run at high rpm, even more so the ZHP. Run it and be happy and without worry. Most people who over talk the oil pump nut issue have never even had it happen to them, I find that comical too.

It goes like this,
Forum member "you better weld your oil pump nut on your car or it just falls off"
Me "really, so you've had it happen?"
Forum member "well no, but I know this guy who knows this girl who knows this lady whose son had a cousin who drove his car at 7000rpm for 3 miles and the nut fell off"
Me "how is that relevant?"
Forum member "it's not"
Me "exactly"

On another subject, if you have $500 to blow on an unnecessary mod, then the ATI damper is a great part. But I have friends who track their cars a LOT (like monthly, and have for years) and don't have them, and have never had an issue.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #103
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Pan looks like it was painted on the inside, my M54 pan looked nothing like yours on the inside (texture should be thesame on the outside as on the inside)
I think you are right about it looks like I was painted. The cracks sure looks like paint cracking.

I will remove the pan again and see if there are any bmw stamps. If not then I think the previous owner replaced the pan with an aftermarket version. On my e30, there were bmw stamps in the inside of the pan.

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #104
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Your oil pump nut being tight has no bearing on whether or not the car was driven hard. All ZHP engines have an upgraded nut with loctite from the factory and the whole "oil pump nut" issue is over stated on this forum. Does it happen? Sure. Is it common? Not really.

Since you have the engine out of the car it isn't a bad idea to weld it on or wire it on, but it is far from a NECESSITY on a street machine.

BMW designed these engines to run at high rpm, even more so the ZHP. Run it and be happy and without worry. Most people who over talk the oil pump nut issue have never even had it happen to them, I find that comical too.

It goes like this,
Forum member "you better weld your oil pump nut on your car or it just falls off"
Me "really, so you've had it happen?"
Forum member "well no, but I know this guy who knows this girl who knows this lady whose son had a cousin who drove his car at 7000rpm for 3 miles and the nut fell off"
Me "how is that relevant?"
Forum member "it's not"
Me "exactly"

On another subject, if you have $500 to blow on an unnecessary mod, then the ATI damper is a great part. But I have friends who track their cars a LOT (like monthly, and have for years) and don't have them, and have never had an issue.
Thanks for the feedback. I did order the zhp oil pump nut (w/ loctite) and I am going to drill it and tie a safety wire to it

sent from HTC EVO
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #105
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
yes, normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
mini update:

I took my oil pan to my local shop and had them removed my striped bolt. again, since the bolt was seized on the smooth bore side it was extremely easy. just a few seconds of blow torch and then he hammered it out with a chisel. I got it down for FREE TOO

also....i was cleaning the oil pan and noticed that there were microscopic cracks inside the pan. is this normal?

the cracks are only visible from the inside. this is my first time looking inside my oil pan so I don't know. On my E30, the pan was shinny and smooth.

any feedbacks will be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #106
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
yes, normal
thank you. i at least need to sand down those rough bumps. they looks and feel like "welding overspray." I am sure they are just dried oil or oil contamination.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #107
330i ZHP

I wouldnt mess with it - dont break anything loose if it is aluminum

clean is super well - if you sand those particles (if they are part of the metal) then it may leave real fractures that can end up causing more material to loosen

I have built two M54s and have not had any problems with either (and one is a stage III SCd engine)
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #108
330i ZHP

if you are concerned - have the machine shop dip the pan (and any other parts) in their cleaner

you could have them dip the parts in the dye and look for cracks - but that is really only used for steel parts - alum is more porous by nature
Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
330i ZHP

there should be a sticker on the back of the engine that gives the VIN of the car it came from - that could be searched to verify ZHP or not

also, I have a spare set of ZHP cams here if you find that yours is not
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #110
flashmeow
Banned User

here is the update for today. not much going on beside fixing that siezed oil pan bolt. I am starting to stocking up MS43/MS45 parts for the future so I can do a complete/proper swap.

based on my prelim research it seems like MS42 and MS43 wire harness are that of a closer match. MS45 is totally different. My long term goal is to run this engine with MS43 software. MS45 or MS45.1 is way too complicated.

on to the pix

Here are my spare parts that I am saving. All M54B30 DME version use the same fuel injectors (purple) and throttle body. However, DME MS43 and MS45 use different ignition coils and of course coil harness MS43 use a square ignition coils like the 323/328. the electrical plug is rectangular. MS45 uses the circular ignition coil and the electrical plug is triangular. the good news is they all have the same pin layout (3 pins) so there might be a possibility of converting one to the other.

here are the various wire harness that I am collecting. The green arrow shows the ignition coils wire harness.

Red is the fuel injector rails. MS42 and MS45/43 fuel rails are different. MS42 uses a 3/2 valve and does not have a integrated fuel pressure regulator. MS42 has two fuel lines (in and outlet) and MS43/MS45 only has one fuel line running into the rails.

Blue arrow is for the MS45 wire harness. again, this wireharness is totally different and the DME uses different pins #/layout for the same exact sensor. Luckily, I have an extra MS43 wire harness. again, MS43 and MS42 wire harness is a closer match (although not perfect).

Oh yeah...you can see my starter too. I am going to put that starter away and use it as spare parts

here is my dirty engine. I still need to degrease, power wash, and air spray the engine.

oil start leaking after I removed the oil pan. So guess what did I do to clean up the oil? Cat liter works miracle! and it is much cheaper than those absorbant you buy at the part store.

side note. while trying to search for a used oil pan because I thought mine was defective I found that different M54/M52TU chasis all have different oil pan part number and design. I posted this on its seperate thread but here it is anyway:
I hope this is not a repost and I am sure 99% of you guys will not find this useful but I just discovered something that I think is interesting.

Cliff: BMW makes different oil pan for every models that use the M54/M52TU engines. So for example, just because a 330XI, 530, and a X3 uses the same engine (M54B30) they all have different engine oil pans.

my analysis: although the different oil pans will bolt up exactly to the engine (they all share the same bolt patters and # of bolts), the variation is due to the underneath clearance requires by different models. the engine pan have different dimensions/shape.

why does it matter: well if your decide to replace your engine just make sure you buy the same M54/M52TU (M54/M52TU share the same oil pan) engine from the same exact model. So if you have a 330 makes sure you buy a 330 engine and not from an e39 and so forth. Of course you can always replace the oil pan and you should be good to go.

E39 engine pan: 11131709235
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=10&hl=2

E53 (X5) engine pan: 11137500682
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=11&fg=10

E83 (X3) engine pan: 11137519432

E46 XI (AWD) model: 11137519432
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=10&hl=3

E46 (non AWD) : 11131432703

so why am I busy browsing BMW oil pan? well, my oil pan seems to be painted/coated in the inside and now the paint/coat are cracking. As a result the interior is no longer smooth and there are plenty of cracks, bumps, etc.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=103

I wanted to buy a new oil pan until I realized it cost anywhere from $450-700 from the dealership. OMG

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-20-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #111
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
there should be a sticker on the back of the engine that gives the VIN of the car it came from - that could be searched to verify ZHP or not

also, I have a spare set of ZHP cams here if you find that yours is not
I haven't seen an e46 engine with VIN sticker (and I looked pretty hard)

I'm not very familiar with MS42 but to my knowledge there were only two types of coils for non-M e46. I don't see why you couldn't reuse your old ones (this would mean using the old valve cover). In fact my 02/april MS43 B25 came with bolt in coils (rectangle) and my 01/january MS43 B30 came with clip in (triangle) coils.

Last edited by lab rat; 01-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #112
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post

I'm not very familiar with MS42 but to my knowledge there were only two types of coils for non-M e46. I don't see why you couldn't reuse your old ones (this would mean using the old valve cover). In fact my 02/april MS43 B25 came with bolt in coils (rectangle) and my 01/january MS43 B30 came with clip in (triangle) coils.
oh thanks for the clarification. I knew that the circular coils are for newer
e46 model and always assumed (incorectly) it was for MS45.

I am going to reuse my square coils because a few years ago I bought some "performance/plasma coils" and I wanted to make my money worth. of course that performance/plasma coils are all a bunch of marketing BS but I need to put it to good use or else the husband is going to yell at me for wasting money.

BTW...I read your engine swap project on your wagon. great project. your project is one a few other projects that inspired me to start my own engine swap

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-20-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #113
330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post

the decal hidden in the dirt on this donor motor had the last 7 digits of the VIN for the car it came from - which was an 04 ZHP coupe 6spd
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #114
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
the decal hidden in the dirt on this donor motor had the last 7 digits of the VIN for the car it came from - which was an 04 ZHP coupe 6spd
I guess newer cars had it. I wanted to verify where my engine came from but couldn't. My sticker only had a serial number of the engine.

BTW: Stu (330i ZHP) inspired me to get a wagon and do the swap
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #115
330i ZHP

wagons are for moms
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #116
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
wagons are for moms
ahhaha. the funny thing is that I always wanted a wagon and almost pulled the trigger on a LCI e9x wagon (with BMW performance cosmetic mods) that we saw at the dealership but the husband wouldn't let me. he said the same thing, "wagons are for moms." So we ended buying a regular e90 instead. kind of piss me off because my neighbors, friends, and family keep on asking us why we each have the same car (e90M and E90). believed it or not but(especially non bmw fans) a lot of people can't spot a E9x M3 from a regular e9x.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #117
330i ZHP

i must have had it wrong - i thought you lived at home with the 'rents - I didnt know you were married

for some reason I thought you were a teen
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #118
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
i must have had it wrong - i thought you lived at home with the 'rents - I didnt know you were married

for some reason I thought you were a teen
I don't live at home with my parents. i live with my husband and we recently moved from Dallas, TX to OKC, OK. My husband works and sometime lives in Dallas so he doesn't have a chance to help me out a lot lately. anyhow, dont feel bad. some other members on the off topic page think I am a lonely and desperate 50yrs old single lady that has a few dozen cats as pets. also, i act totally different (completely different person) outside of the off topic page so dont believe everything you hear/read on OT.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #119
330i ZHP

to answer your question about the AC

Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #120
330i ZHP

you have to remove the AC parts from the rad support and then the AC hoses will give you just enough flex to get out of the way and can be tied back on passenger side while you pull the motor.

have you pulled the engine/trans from your car yet?

Tags
too many pictures