E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
seattle

My Ride: 02 330I
Emissions P0740 coed question

I've been running my 330I with the code p0740 code for close to 60k waiting for it to take a dump till I replace it.

We have OBD 2 emissions testing in our area. P0740 is,what I have been told is a emission code.

When i go take the test, the first time it will not pass. the first time it did it, I turned off the light and paid a mech to sign the waiver. To use the waiver, it would have to fail again on retest. When I retested it, it passed, even though the CEL is lit and according to my scanner, the code it logged.

This month is the 2nd time I have had to pass emissions with the light on for code P0740.
same thing, it did not pass the first time. Clear code, drove it till it was ready to check, and it passed the second time again,with the code and light on.

At least I saved $150 this time.

anyone know why it would pass the second time, even though everything seems the same a the first test?
seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
It's actual a torque converter lock-up issue; he's the link that identifies your specific issue: http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0740
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
So, you have been driving for 60,000 miles with a torque converter that is giving fits? Seems like you oughta get it fixed.

Since it has been broken for 60,000 miles, its probably a bad sensor or faulty program in the car. Either way, there is a way to fix it permanently so you don't have to keep getting waivers.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
It's actual a torque converter lock-up issue; he's the link that identifies your specific issue: http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0740
I understand what the code means. having this code prevents me from getting an ok from the emissions place the first time, but not the 2nd time for some reason.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
So, you have been driving for 60,000 miles with a torque converter that is giving fits? Seems like you oughta get it fixed.

Since it has been broken for 60,000 miles, its probably a bad sensor or faulty program in the car. Either way, there is a way to fix it permanently so you don't have to keep getting waivers.
I brought it to 2 places when it first started. The BMW Indy said it 2k to fix the torque converter. The tranny place said I might as well pony up 4k for a new rebuilt tranny.

If I'm gonna pony up 4k for a new tranny, I might as well kill it first.

60k later it still runs like new.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
I brought it to 2 places when it first started. The BMW Indy said it 2k to fix the torque converter. The tranny place said I might as well pony up 4k for a new rebuilt tranny.

If I'm gonna pony up 4k for a new tranny, I might as well kill it first.

60k later it still runs like new.
It is also said to be a bad soleniod that throws off that code and in some cases a bad rubber seal that sets of the slipping signal. Both which can be fixed or replaced during a tranny flush/service.

I have the lamp on as well with that code and I hate it because the car is still driving 100%.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote