E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
AR Mag Pouch Choices

I need some AR mag pouches to mount on my Brokos belt. I would prefer to use a molle attachment on it, even though I can use a belt pouch too. I just think that it will be more secure. I would prefer to have two permanently on the Brokos, and then two that I can put on a standard belt as well. I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Brokos
ITW Fastmag, molle version: http://www.itwmilitaryproducts.com/c...stmag%E2%84%A2
HSGI Taco: http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-TACO&cat=34
Eagle M4 Single Mag Pouch, molle: http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...&cat=24&page=2

Riggers
ITW Fastmag, belt version: http://www.itwmilitaryproducts.com/c...stmag%E2%84%A2
Eagle Duty Belt M16 Magazine Pouch: http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...?productid=104

Any suggestions for alternatives, or first hand experience with any of the above?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The ITW Fastmag is the best for belts, because it's completely open-top and has adjustable levels of retention friction. I use ITW Fastmag pistol pouches for my Brokos belt (I have all AR mags on the vest). They're top notch.
If you want something different with top retention, I would recommend the FirstSpear M4 pouch. They have a lot of friction retension (but not as much as the Fastmag) and have polymer wrapped with nylon, and then a top bungee retention. I would recommend the Fastmag first, but this is a good second if you need that extra bit of retention over the top.
http://www.skdtac.com/FirstSpear-M4-...-p/fsr.111.htm

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Reedo302

oops. Double-tap.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm not all that worried about top retention, just something that will securely hold during transition drills. They won't even be mounted upside down since I don't own a vest. Do you use the molle version or the belt version of the pistol pouch on your Brokos? My plan was to use the molle on the Brokos for both AR and pistol and the belt version on the belt. If you are using the pistol pouch, I assume that you like them. Anything about them stand out for you? Of all the boards that I'm on, you are the only person that I have seen that runs them.

As an aside, I didn't realize that you had a Brokos. My wife got me one for Christmas, and she was really sly about it. She knew that someone else in the family had bought me the VTAC Cobra belt and had asked what I intended to do with it. I explained it and showed her the Brokos set up so she ordered me one from SKD.

Of course, now she realizes all of the rest of the crap that I have to buy to get it set up.

ETA: Can you post a pic of your belt set up?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Reedo302

Mounting upside down is generally a bad idea. Someone somewhere came up with this idea thinking they were breaking the mould and being innovative. The problem is that most combat fighting involves alternative positions like various iterations of the kneeling and prone positions. Pulling mags from an upside down pouch is next to impossible if you are bent at the waist or lying prone. Pulling from the top is always best.
I use the molle versions of the Fastmag for my Brokos belt. Since molle sizing is standardized, the mounting fitment is exact and secure; there is no play. The belt version is good for a normal belt, but the purpose of a warbelt is to have molle platform for the waist. The only belt-mount option I have is my Safariland 6305 holster.

RE the pistol pouches: The Fastmag is by far the best pistol mag pouch I've found for this setup. While they are a slight bit bulky outward, the trade-off is the mounting dynamic. There is a lot of discussion about mounting "bullets front" or "bullets rear", which refers to which way your mags should be pointed for most efficient retrieval and insertion. The Fastmag points the bullets straight out. Instead of the ammo being parallel with the belt, the mags sit perpendicular and the bullets point out. When you grab them, it's very natural. You don't have to turn your wrist- it's just "palm down" on the mag and pull out. Nobody else does this mounting method. I was looking for a pouch to use, and I saw them being used this summer in training and I really liked the concept. I had previously been running an old Blackhawk! double-mag pouch with flaps, but those suck for tactical mag changes and retention. They're expensive, and the price of one is for one single magazine pouch. You have to buy one for every mag you buy, which is the only downside. Still, I think it's worth it because it is seriously top-quality kit. I think you will really like them if you buy them. As with the rifle pouches, retention tension is adjustable, and they hold very secure.

This is my battle belt. I haven't taken any photos of the current setup, which is a third mag pouch and a tan HSGI Cobra belt.
(The vest has been changed to a single 4-mag shingle with a single FirstSpear pouch on the left and an IFAK on the right.)

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 01-03-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I ordered a Fastmag (belt version) last night to test out. I like that I can use it on my Brokos or on a standard belt, and I think it will be great for the first AR pouch in the line for reloads. My only concern is that it looks to sit really high on the belt.

I liked FirstSpear, so that's also a possiblity, along with the HSGI Taco. The downside that I see to the Taco is that I'm OCD about my gear and I can't figure out if you can tuck away all of the shock-cord. I was looking at various pictures of them on belts, and sometimes it looks like you can. If you can get all that extra cord nice and tucked away, those would be my first choice. I love the versatility of them.

I also looked at the Emdom IAP for the Brokos. I like the design, in that it's a soft pouch like the two above, but I can also adjust the hight as necessary. My only concern with that one is the elastic portion of the retention system. I realize that there are two other forms of retention, but that one part just kind of nags at me.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Reedo302

Emdom makes good kit too. I don't like the IAP, but because of the elastic feature that compresses down when the mag is out. When you do a tactical mag change, you can either toss the mag into a dump pouch or put it back in your mag pouches. If you only have a few rounds left, tossing it in the dump pouch is appropriate. If you have more ammo in the mag, you eventually want to get it back in a mag pouch. You just have to make sure to move it to the last slot that you will grab, which for me is on the far right side since I pull from the left side of my vest and work my way to the right, using my left hand to load mags. When you want to do this quickly, it's nice to be able to just push the mag in without having to use the mag to leverage open the elastic. I had a Blackhawk pouch setup at one time that I had to do this with, and it was time consuming when I was on the line and wanting to just push the mag in and be done with it. Just personal preference. If you look on my belt above, you'll see a BlueForceGear TenSpeed double pistol mag pouch just to the right of my holster. That is all basically elastic, and it's essentially a backup "Pull-from only" setup and I don't back-fill them once they're empty. It's too difficult to stick mags back in there in a hurry.

If you want more info on the HSGI Taco, check out their website. They have a lot more information there. You can stow away the strings from what I can see.
http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-TACO

Also, they have a paddle or belt slide setup for the Taco, which turns your Taco pouch into a paddle or belt slide mag holster. Pretty nifty.
http://www.hsgi.us/products.php?cat=18
You can also order customize their Cobra belts on that site, which is the way I get my belts.

I'm not saying don't get the Emdom, but if you do get anything with elastic like that, it really works best in conjunction with a dump pouch, because if you can't get the mag back into the pouch quickly, you need to dump it somewhere where you can later access it. With that said, I would recommend a dump pouch regardless. You will be glad you have one. It's like having an extra set of hands on the line.
I run a Maxpedition RollyPoly dump pouch so that I can stow it when I don't need it, and it's great. I have heard great things about the Emdom MM Dump Pouch, and I am still considering it. I'm waiting for a limited edition dump pouch from EAG Tactical to be re-released before I decide on going to a different dump pouch (which would likely be the Emdom MM if I did switch).

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 01-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I already have the RollyPoly so the dump pouch is good to go. I didn't realize that it didn't come with malice clips or their mounting straps, so I had to order some. I love that thing, such a simple design that works.

I was looking at the HSGI site this morning (as well as I could on my phone) which is why I posted about it. I also went through the entire "First Line Belts" thread on M4C. That's why I was trying to figure out how well the shock-cord can be tucked away. I really, really like the universal design that allows so much other stuff to be stored in there. I may end up ordering one just to test it out.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I may end up ordering one just to test it out.
Same here.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

So I ordered an ITW Fastmag (belt), ITW Fastmag Pistol (belt), HSGI Single Rifle Taco, and HSGI Single Pistol Taco. That should give me plenty of flexibility to go from Brokos to Riggers with the Fastmags, and allow some additional options for other gear, and get some first hand experience with some of these pouches.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I now have everything except for the new holster. Hopefully I get a chance this weekend to set it all up.

Last edited by Serbonze; 01-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Reedo302

Excellent. Let me know how you like them- particularly the Tacos.
Both SKD and HSGI have insanely fast processing and shipping. If I order something from SKD before 1pm, I will get it the next day. HSGI is like 2 days. Gotta love USPS sometimes.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Will do. I think I'm going to start with ITW Pistol, Taco Pistol, ITW Rifle, Taco Rifle.

Last edited by Serbonze; 01-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Any thoughts on a very small admin pouch? I just want something to keep a small notepad, pen, etc. Even The HSGI mini admin seems kind of big.

http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-Mini-Admi...-p/hsg.202.htm
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Reedo302

I've been eying up the FirstSpear admin pouch, and am likely going to be adding it to my vest in the near future. It has the added advantage of the separate pouch for a small SureFire light or multi-tool or knife, or a tourniquet.
Otherwise, I hear good things about the Marz pouch.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I've been eying up the FirstSpear admin pouch, and am likely going to be adding it to my vest in the near future. It has the added advantage of the separate pouch for a small SureFire light or multi-tool or knife, or a tourniquet.
Otherwise, I hear good things about the Marz pouch.
Thanks Reed, I'll check those out.

I would also like to add that I truly believe that Malice Clips were designed by the devil. No person or company, including Tactical Tailor, would be so evil as to create something that can cause so much frustration in so little time.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
Reedo302

Yeah, but those fvckers hold. They are a PITA, but I have no qualms or reservations about them holding secure under adverse conditions. Compared to the old ALICE clips, they're a world beyond and better.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Decided to go with this, from left to right.
HSGI Taco Pistol (mounted on second panel of first molle to allow room for another pistol mag pouch if needed)
HSGI Taco Rifle
HSGI Taco Rifle
Maxpedition Rollypoly at 6:00
Holster at 3:00 I'm waiting on new holster and parts to get here. I'm trying out the RTI mounting system so I can go from my riggers belt to Brokos belt easily.
Benchmade 7 Safety Cutter

I'll snap a few pictures once the holster gets here I can run some dryfire drills with it. I really like the Tacos. I would definitely suggest at least getting one to try it out. The ITWs will work great on my belt, and I still have space to add them to the Brokos if needed.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Holster and accessories arrived today. The RTI system is pretty damn cool. I really like that I can add or remove the holster use it for different carry situations.

This is the molle adapter.

Molle adapter attached to the belt.

Back of holster with RTI adapter.

Holster mounted to adapter.

Belt slide RTI.

Complete belt. I added a Grimloc next to the first pistol mag so I could hang my hearing protection from it. This set up has not been vetted, so it will probably change.

*I don't know what's wrong with Photobucket. My pictures seem to rotate on their own.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm brining this back from the dead for an update. After two classes, I made two changes. The dump pouch now rides one slot to the left, and I've added an HSGI Nalgene Modular pouch to the slot next to the pistol.

Moving the dump pouch allowed easier accesss to it when open. Adding the Modular pouch allows me to keep 20oz of water on me, and not need to run 75 yards back to the Jeep or tables to get a drink of water.

We'll see how this works during the next class.