E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
MR.4DR

My Ride: 323i Sedan
Clutch recommendations

Hey guys, so lately my clutch (99 323i) has been getting a little soft on me (noticed over time that the clutch catches higher and higher, almost at release point) and it's time to look into getting a new clutch kit or possibly just a nice clutch set and have the flywheel resurfaced? The title states it all and I need your guys' clutch kit or set preferences/recommendations. Educated knowledge and personal experiences help the most! Forgot to mention that I'm not trying to spend a load of money for it, maybe $1k tops. No more then that. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Daily: E46 323i Sedan
Project: B5 S4 (EPL / Meth / 2.8 Heads / Tial)

-Michael
MR.4DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
First, you can't resurface your dual mass flywheel, most people here will recommend that you buy a new flywheel, either a new dual mass, or a lightweight single mass. Most likely, if this is the first clutch replacement your car has had, then you can reuse the stock flywheel. If $1k includes labor for installation then you should simply get a replacement clutch kit, ~ $300 (clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) and have it installed and be most likely within budget at a decent indy mechanic. Since you have a project car etc listed, I'm thinking you may do it yourself, then I would also do a few fixes while you are at it, such as the "5th gear lean", maybe a gear oil swap, etc.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
MR.4DR

That's weird. B5 S4's run off dual mass flywheels as well and people (including myself) get them resurfaced all the time. What is so unique/different about this dual mass flywheel setup, opposed to the Audi's? Unfortunately, this will be the third time it's lifetime (two times it was replaced by PO), so I guess I'll look for a kit that includes a lwfw or something. I was looking at the UUC lwfw and performance clutch kit with the M5 clutch disk on Bavauto. Any input on that setup? And my $1k maximum price goes to the price of the kit itself, no labor. Anyone have experiences with just a replacement clutch kit and how long it lasted, because I commute this car 45+ miles a day highway, but sometimes like to do some spirited driving. Need something that feels semi-daily drivable, but also something that'll hold up under some load. And I'm definitely doing the additional maintenance aside from the clutch job. Thanks for the heads up, still trying to get a little more familiar with the e46 platform.

-Michael
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
There is dispute on this board over the ability to resurface a DMFW. It's certainly been done.

I am facing a clutch replacement soon myself. My clutch and FW are original with over 205k miles. As such, I don't trust my flywheel for another 100k+ miles, so I'm going to replace my flywheel. If I had half the miles, I would just scuff the surface with a Scotchbrite pad and just replace the clutch plate, PP, and TOB.

At home I have bookmarked an alternative to the UUC low mass flywheel and clutch set-up that is significantly less expensive IIRC. I'll try to post the link when I get home.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
jcns

My Ride: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.4DR View Post
Hey guys, so lately my clutch (99 323i) has been getting a little soft on me (noticed over time that the clutch catches higher and higher, almost at release point) and it's time to look into getting a new clutch kit or possibly just a nice clutch set and have the flywheel resurfaced? The title states it all and I need your guys' clutch kit or set preferences/recommendations. Educated knowledge and personal experiences help the most! Forgot to mention that I'm not trying to spend a load of money for it, maybe $1k tops. No more then that. Help is appreciated.

Thanks!
this does not mean your clutch is going. Our cars have self adjusting hydraulic systems.
How many miles on the clutch?
have you checked the fluid level and condition of it? Are you sure you don't have a leak in the system?
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
MR.4DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
There is dispute on this board over the ability to resurface a DMFW. It's certainly been done.

I am facing a clutch replacement soon myself. My clutch and FW are original with over 205k miles. As such, I don't trust my flywheel for another 100k+ miles, so I'm going to replace my flywheel. If I had half the miles, I would just scuff the surface with a Scotchbrite pad and just replace the clutch plate, PP, and TOB.

At home I have bookmarked an alternative to the UUC low mass flywheel and clutch set-up that is significantly less expensive IIRC. I'll try to post the link when I get home.
That would help so much if you can get to that link to the alternative clutch kit with the low mass flywheel. Purchasing a new clutch kit this Friday hopefully and need options.

Update: Clutch slips at 3500rpms and anything past. Need more responses and personal experiences with good clutch setups that are recommended asap!

-Michael
Old 01-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Geo31
Ironman

Here you go. Sorry it took me a while.

http://gripforce.com/store/index.php...roducts_id=303

Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
orionstrident

My Ride: e46 325i
do you know of anyone who has ran the F1 setup you posted i am interested in it as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstrident View Post
do you know of anyone who has ran the F1 setup you posted i am interested in it as well.
Not personally, but there was a thread with several positive endorsements.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
MR.4DR

Definitely looking into the F1 setup. The price is seemingly temptatious, especially since it comes with a lwfw in the kit opposed to having to re-use the heavy stock dual mass fw or buying a new one separately.

-Michael

Tags
323i, clutch, kit, recommendation, sedan