E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
P0172 & P0175 SES Codes...searched

My SES light has come on twice now, the first time according to Autozone's code checker I had the P0172 and P0175 codes which read rich banks 1 & 2. Autozone cleared the code and it came back on around 200+ miles later with just the P0175 code. Before I start throwing money at this thing I'd like to be more convinced on what the problem could be. The previous owner installed a CAI and I've cleaned my MAF once already. From what I've found through my searches I should consider replacing my 02 sensor or my MAF, I'm not convinced whihc one yet. Can someone whose found the cure for this chime in?

Thanks guys
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
this kind of problem has bene posted plenty of times. Most of the time its because ur lower intake boot(throttle body boot) has a hole in it. I would check the boot before anything else since the boot is only like $15 at the dealer.

Stretch + poke = All show, no go!!!
PRDesignsTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRDesignsTony View Post
this kind of problem has bene posted plenty of times. Most of the time its because ur lower intake boot(throttle body boot) has a hole in it. I would check the boot before anything else since the boot is only like $15 at the dealer.
Wrong. Vacuum leaks won't cause rich conditions. You got this confused with the P0171 and P0174, which are lean conditions on bank 1 & 2.

OP, do the easiest, check your air filter first and make sure it's not clogged.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
7to3_enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Wrong. Vacuum leaks won't cause rich conditions. You got this confused with the P0171 and P0174, which are lean conditions on bank 1 & 2.

I'll check it but wouldn't a dirty air filter cause a lean condition as well?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
I'll check it but wouldn't a dirty air filter cause a lean condition as well?
No, a dirty air filter will restrict the air. less air for for amount of fuel, causing a rich condition. Also check your fuel pressure and condition of the vacuum line to control the fuel pressure regulater. a disconnected line or leak in this line will increase the fuel pressure causing a rich condition in the system since your problem is in both banks. fuel pressure regulater is mounted to the fuel filter under the driver side of the car.
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post

sorry, i mixed rich with lean

Stretch + poke = All show, no go!!!
PRDesignsTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
7to3_enthusiast

well I cleaned my MAF again, cleaned my air filter, didn't find any leaks, haven't checked my FPR just yet. No one thinks it may be a bad MAF or 02 sensor? I'm right at 60k
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
7to3_enthusiast

My Dad brought over his Peake code check tool. It spitted out Table 16 codes AE and 95. After some searching on this forum I believe the cure for this was a new maf. Although not the cheapest of the two options I was considering, it's the easiest to replace so that's where I'll start. I'll let you guys know if that solves the problem.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
mrschrewe

My Ride: 2001 M3
So did it work?? I have a similar problem I think. I am getting an SES light and using my Peake tool I'm getting codes AE and AF in table 1b. These are "Mixture Adaptations", but I'm not surfe how to convert them to P-codes. Converting them to the BMW codes gives me 174 and 175, but according to my Bentley manual these do not correspond to P0174 and P0175. I am confused about how these numbering systems work.

Also, by the way, when I took my '01 M3 to Autozone, their code reader couldn't connect to my car. Is this a known problem or are they doing something wrong??

Thanks for the help.
mrschrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
7to3_enthusiast

That's strange, I haven't heard of any adapters needed to connect to our OBDII. Well, when I checked my codes back in January I reset them and the CES light hasn't come back on since, so it's been about 700 miles as well. I'm waiting to purchase the air mass sensor after it comes on one last time.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
$ilent ///M

My Ride: 03.5 M3 smg lsb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschrewe View Post
So did it work?? I have a similar problem I think. I am getting an SES light and using my Peake tool I'm getting codes AE and AF in table 1b. These are "Mixture Adaptations", but I'm not surfe how to convert them to P-codes. Converting them to the BMW codes gives me 174 and 175, but according to my Bentley manual these do not correspond to P0174 and P0175. I am confused about how these numbering systems work.

Also, by the way, when I took my '01 M3 to Autozone, their code reader couldn't connect to my car. Is this a known problem or are they doing something wrong??

Thanks for the help.
Check pin 16 at your DLC connector should have source voltage there (12v) so it can power on the obd II reader. If you dont get a reading could be pin is damaged or the fuse blown (normally it shares the same fuse as the cigerette power outlet, so check if your outlet is working first).
$ilent ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
armanigk

My Ride: E46 M3
Do you have semi-stall characteristics at idle or when slowing down to a stop? I had these and your same codes. Is your metal screen installed between filter and MAF sensor? Should take it out of the stock intake and put it in CAI.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
7to3_enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanigk View Post
Do you have semi-stall characteristics at idle or when slowing down to a stop? I had these and your same codes. Is your metal screen installed between filter and MAF sensor? Should take it out of the stock intake and put it in CAI.
Yup mine does stall, in fact I drive mine differently now to prevent it, practically keep the car in gear while coming to a stop until about 1200 rpms then press the clutch lol. I don't have the metal screen though, did that help you?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
mrschrewe

My Ride: 2001 M3
I should have been clearer. It doesn't need an adapter, it's that when the Autozone reader tries to establish communication with my car's ECU, it just shows a communication error. I have tried at multiple stores, so it's not one reader malfunctioning either. I also watched the guy manually select 2001 BMW M3 (E46) in the code reader menu, so I think he's operating it correctly.

Also, just checked the voltage at pin 16. It's OK at 12V. And I do have the metal screen installed.

My engine has never stalled, but idle is strange sometimes during engine warmup. It tends to blip up and down (especially when I am coming to a stop).
I talked to the dealer today and they said likely it is a lean condition (rich is rare). So I probably have a leak in the unmeasured intake air (ie. after the MAF or from the crankcase ventilation). Does anyone have a good way to check that?
Thanks for the ideas and help so far.
mrschrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
7to3_enthusiast

Well my code finally came back yesterday, about 1000 miles later. This time it brought some friends, Table 1B - 76, AE, and 6B according to the peake code reader. I know one is for the TPS sensor 1, another is for a misfire, haven't looked up the third just yet. Car drives fine though, still just have that strange stall situation from coming out of gear. Just bought some new Michelin Pilot Super Sports so the MAF is going to have to wait lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
DON'T by the OEM MAF. You can swap a VW part into your current one (the actual MAF part, not the housing, is a generic Bosch part). Check M3Forum for more info on it. Good choice on the PSS's. Just picked up a set myself and LOVE them!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
7to3_enthusiast

So I installed my new MAF (and cleaned/re-oiled my knn...bad idea maybe?), drove about 20 miles so far and the CES light remains on. If the problem is fixed will the ECU clear the code on its own or do I have to clear them again and hope it doesn't come back?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
So I installed my new MAF (and cleaned/re-oiled my knn...bad idea maybe?), drove about 20 miles so far and the CES light remains on. If the problem is fixed will the ECU clear the code on its own or do I have to clear them again and hope it doesn't come back?
I'd ditch the K&N. Doesn't really do much for our cars. All name brand hype from American cars IMHO. The re-oiling will cause some of that oil to make it's way into your MAF over time, thus clogging it up. My problem was exclusively the MAF and the CES went away within a few miles. I'd say you've got more than just a MAF problem.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
It's the knn. I had the same exact problems. If you plan on keeping the knn, when you oil the filter make sure you let it dry for at least 3-4 days. It must completely dry. Keep it in a box or.something. Before you put it back in make sure you attach the screen filter that goes inside the tube. All this fixed my problems. You will need to reset the codes, as mine never went away by itself. After I reset the codes and did what I stated above, I never had that problem again.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
BWOODM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
mooninite

My Ride: M3, 325i
In the future it would be worth asking in your region forums for a guy with INPA (BMW code reader software) that can tell you exactly what is wrong.

OBD2 codes can only say so much. I have read codes with INPA that aren't even showing with a OBD2 reader.

Or just go on ebay and spend the $30 to have the software yourself. It's easy to install and use (requires 32-bit Windows though).
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote