E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
bayos04

Eonon vs dynavin vs brand xyz

I can't seem to find the answer to this question... What benefit does eonon or dynavin give you over any other brand? Like pioneer or alpine etc. brands you can get locally, get local support for, etc.

I know they have a factory look, and are designed to fit, but let's suppose this does not matter. (I'm not afraid of the double din install)

The only thing I can find is that the eonon is fairly cheap for the features you get...

Is that it? Am I missing something?

Thanks all

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
bayos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
bayos04

Buler? Buler? anyone?
bayos04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
BunnySlope

My Ride: 2001 M3
Nail=Head

"Fast cars only love to go straight...Fast DRIVERS love the corners!"

"I have no doubt that I AM the slowest part of my car."

BunnySlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Several things:
- customer service from the vendor
- reliability
- features
- SQ

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
waftycranker

My Ride: 2005 330Cd
I've found that with my unit (Navall 2) I get:
- Better degree of customisation (I've got the android version) when it comes to running what app you want to use
- Quick response to my emails. Doesn't mean that everything gets fixed immediately, which I wouldn't expect anyway, but at least if there is something that doesn't seem to be right the issue is acknowledged.
- A little bit more under the hood when it comes to performance - you're not paying for brand now (let's face it!) so it's basically a spec-war.

If all you want to do is listen to music/radio and use it for satellite navigation then almost anything will do. I would only go for an android unit if you want to run apps and use online connectivity.

HTH.
waftycranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
heavyweight

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by waftycranker View Post
I've found that with my unit (Navall 2) I get:
- Better degree of customisation (I've got the android version) when it comes to running what app you want to use
- Quick response to my emails. Doesn't mean that everything gets fixed immediately, which I wouldn't expect anyway, but at least if there is something that doesn't seem to be right the issue is acknowledged.
- A little bit more under the hood when it comes to performance - you're not paying for brand now (let's face it!) so it's basically a spec-war.

If all you want to do is listen to music/radio and use it for satellite navigation then almost anything will do. I would only go for an android unit if you want to run apps and use online connectivity.

HTH.
is the eonon not android-based?
heavyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
waftycranker

My Ride: 2005 330Cd
It is, but there are other double din units that are WInCE-based, or offer either an Android or WinCE version.

waftycranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
joeA4

My Ride: 325i
I've never tried the Dynavin, although I've been close to buying it. I've also mulled purchasing a Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine multi-media unit with a Double din face bezel to get it as close to OEM as possible looking. I keep my car in pretty pristine condition and really enjoy looking at a clean interior that meshes all together - that's why I went with the aftermarket units that have the OEM look. That said, I've heard Pioneer, Kenwood units, etc work flawlessly and reliably and have all the bells and whistles you need, especially when you spend $700 and up.

That said, I've owned both the Eonon GM5150 and an Avin Avant-1.

Avin Avant: It's Android based and is very unreliable. The hardware and software do not work well together and the unit runs very hot where you even feel it on your finger tips on the LCD screen. I've tried to install patches, returned units back to Hong Kong and have paid the $90 shipping fees, etc. Nothing worked. The unit when it was working would intermittently reset on it's own while driving; other times it wouldn't start up and I had to use a toothpick to reset the unit; this would happen pretty much every other day.

The 2 second boot up that's claimed doesn't work consistently. It actually worked about 20% of the times it was supposed to. A full boot up can take 30 seconds or more; sometimes the unit would reboot up several times on it's own on start up before working.

I had issues using the SD card slots because it would cause boot up errors if anything was in those ports. I'll write a more in depth review on the Avant later to help people make informative decisions. Additionally, if you need support it will basically be by email since support is in Hong Kong. And, if you want a refund you won't get one once you're out of the "window" (forget off the top of my head) in the Terms of Use.

That said, when the unit was working it has some bells and whistles in the sense that you can drag and drop icons, play mp4 video files, etc. The problem was that it didn't work consistently.

Eonon: i had some issues with the unit initially, namely the famed "Lauch.exe" error and a few other issues, but eventually it got squared away. I also had issues with the mic for bluetooth since people couldn't hear me with the stock mic in the unit, so you have to modify the mic, which is what caused me some issues (long story).
The unit when working does what it's supposed to do. The UI when playing music files from SD or USB cards isn't that ideal since you can't view the entire artists and name of the song.

The unit boots up off cold in about 10 seconds, so it's not too bad.

this decision comes down to if your preference on interior looks and how you want your interior to flow because a high end pioneer will do what you need it to do and be reliable and less hands on. The other choice that looks intriguing is the Dynavin, but I don't have any experience with that unit. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but I would've loved to had tried a Dynavin to compare.

Hope this helps.

Joe

2004 Honda S2000 - Sebring Silver/Red-Black
- Bilstein PSS C/O suspension
joeA4 is offline   Reply With Quote