E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #201
JacksonY

My Ride: BMW 330Ci (2004 E46)
I just got a DVN-E46 D99 WinCE installed today... I wanted android but the local distributor in Hong Kong do not stock the version. =(

However I need help with a couple of things...
I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1...
1, I had paired my iPhone with the D99, works great, sounds okay but I guess thats as good as it gets... left my car then came back... and it occured to me that my iPhone is not automatically reconnecting to it... as did my old handsfree solution... but then my old solution had an "answer/hangup" button... just like BT headsets... pressing it will trigger the iPhone to reconnect to it... however I was unable to find this function on the Dynavin... and I had to go thru the millions of menus on my iPhone and click on the FC6000 button for it to reconnect... is there such a function or similar on these units? because the user manual is really no help...

2, It seems that the Dynavin is not able to load my phone book... whenever I tried to search for anyone... I would simply get "NO_DATA"... however... if someone calls me or if I call someone (via the headunit by manually dialing the numbers or the iPhone) I will get their contact name as entered in my iPhone. Am I doing something wrong? Because all the options are turned "ON" in my iPhone.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #202
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by episof View Post
Weirdest thing, OBC just started working today... I didn't change anything.
Maybe she needed to sleep on it. Hope mine had the same change of heart
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #203
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
No one has any suggestion about my issue? Is anyone else having this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshgrntd View Post
I am having the same issue....there was a time where it would show a picture and the music still played....however now it is back to cutting the music off.....ANNOYING! Dont care too much about the picture just dont want the music to cut off.
wshgrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:59 AM   #204
listermint

Can anyone compare this canbus to their canbus on the D99. I have a feeling the canbus may have been mixed up with a D95 hence the lack of OBC/PDC function.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #205
reigate

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Can anyone compare this canbus to their canbus on the D99. I have a feeling the canbus may have been mixed up with a D95 hence the lack of OBC/PDC function.
I have just checked mine and it has no markings on it at all?
reigate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #206
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigate View Post
I have just checked mine and it has no markings on it at all?
i presume yours is a D99 ?

Its got me thinking ive got the wrong one, alla version 1.0 D95 ?

Perplexing....
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #207
Burnse

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
So where can I buy the software upgrade to the d99 for my d95?
Burnse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #208
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnse View Post
So where can I buy the software upgrade to the d99 for my d95?
You cant, its different hardware, read through the threads to see.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #209
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
listermint

Yes, that's a D95 harness and ibus box, contact your dealer.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-31-2012 at 08:05 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #210
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Yep, that's a D95 harness and ibus box, contact your dealer.
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. I mentioned it to him and he thought i might be correct. Said he might have taken them and swapped during testing boxes which is fair enough i suppose.

Again thank you.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #211
Burnse

Those poeple don't know what they are talking about. Hardware and software are completely seperate. Hardware Is the physical device, something you can touch. Software is basically combined instructions, it creates the images you see, ie the user interface. Without software the hardware is useless. That being said, there is no logical explanation not to have software updates to improve, enhance the user interface. Do you think Microsoft/apple/google makes you buy a new computer/phone because they change the user interface from the last version, no they make you buy the software.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #212
listermint

Quote:
Those poeple don't know what they are talking about. Hardware and software are completely seperate. Hardware Is the physical device, something you can touch. Software is basically combined instructions, it creates the images you see, ie the user interface. Without software the hardware is useless. That being said, there is no logical explanation not to have software updates to improve, enhance the user interface. Do you think Microsoft/apple/google makes you buy a new computer/phone because they change the user interface from the last version, no they make you buy the software.
Those people who?? Me?

the D95 unit has different components to the D99. It is most definitely different hardware, one of the main points is the integration of included Parrott system for Cell Phones. Also changes to the GUI (which is software).

I believe i know the difference having graduated as an electronic engineer from college.

Either way, your D95 CANNOT be upgraded to D99 spec.

Best of luck though.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #213
Burnse

Let me rephrase my issue, perhaps it will be more clear.. For example, the issue with iPod resume. when you're listening to your iPod on a certain song and you turn your car off, then turn it back on, are you saying the new hardware will fix it, let me tell you it's the software? Or how about the date/time, changing it to CST/PST/EST, etc. you guessed it, software again. Or how about the new radio/ipod or even the bluetooth/phone interface, yep software too.. Even if Parrot helped dynavin with the bluetooth hardware, the software to make it work should be no different because hardware is dumb in a sense it does nothing with-out an action/software. At best, Parrot helped get a better bluetooth hardware device installed and or created the software. Now I can see if there were proprietary issue within the parrot device. meaning they would not allow dynavin access to their software to use on the older hardware. But that does not mean the user interface has to suffer. Another example, I can upgrade an image without the use of new hardware.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #214
J&T Distributing

Yes but the software is written around the limitations of the hardware. Many of the things you just noted are limitations of the hardware....there were updates for the old D90 platform, 3 of them actually, but they fixed/changed things that were possible with software, couldn't change things that were hardware limited.

Also there have been MANY updates for the android ROMs as that is far more software related.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-31-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #215
listermint

Quote:
Let me rephrase my issue, perhaps it will be more clear.. For example, the issue with iPod resume. when you're listening to your iPod on a certain song and you turn your car off, then turn it back on, are you saying the new hardware will fix it, let me tell you it's the software? Or how about the date/time, changing it to CST/PST/EST, etc. you guessed it, software again. Or how about the new radio/ipod or even the bluetooth/phone interface, yep software too.. Even if Parrot helped dynavin with the bluetooth hardware, the software to make it work should be no different because hardware is dumb in a sense it does nothing with-out an action/software. At best, Parrot helped get a better bluetooth hardware device installed and or created the software. Now I can see if there were proprietary issue within the parrot device. meaning they would not allow dynavin access to their software to use on the older hardware. But that does not mean the user interface has to suffer. Another example, I can upgrade an image without the use of new hardware.
I dont think your actually getting this, The D99 board is different to the D95, while your background is software related im sure, you understand that boards can change with updates. (that are not backwards compatible)

The D99 has x2 SD card slots on the front for example, and also the IR location has changed from the previous model.

Why? because the hardware is different. No rather than continue to argue about the differences between the D95 and the D99 you should be looking for firmware fixes for your D95 and not to have D99s OS installed on yours because thats never going to happen.

Either that or sell your D95 and buy a D99. Up to you.

By the way your posts can come across as abrasive, but that is not unusual for IT people as a whole, myself included.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #216
Burnse

yes, that was another topic I was going to talk about - firmware but you beat me to it.

So I will part with one last thought.. Seems to me Dynavin is not doing what is right for the the customer but what is doing right for their bottom line. I bet there are people out there with the d95 willing to pay 100-200 ( and not giving a crap about new hardware that may not be a big of an issue as the things I mentioned ) for a software/firmware upgrade to the d99 UI/GUI, thus saving the hassle of haggling to sell their own unit, removing, shipping, etc. and then pay, install, etc. for the new unit.. I hope others will soon realize what tricks are being played here and call them out on it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #217
J&T Distributing

Ive had this argument before.....the latest smartphones, tablets etc... give people the impression that everything is a "back box" that just needs the right software and it can do anything.....this app centric way of thinking is now bleeding over into other product categories.

But the dynavin is a car stereo....not a smartphone....it is NOT standard in the car audio business to upgrade older units and make it all backward compatible, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc... come out with new models each year and they improve on last years models, and if you want the latest features, you buy the latest units, thats the way the industry works. Firmware upgrades etc... are reserved for fixing problems.

Now I understand why you might be a little aggravated with the release of the D95 and D99 units so close together but they are two different models at two different price points, the one was not intended to replace the other. Im not trying to give you a hard time here, its just that comparing smartphones and computers to car stereos is apples and oranges.....

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-31-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #218
Burnse

Talking about smart phones, apple is a very good company when it comes to upgrading software/firmware, yes you can upgrade from an older version to a newer version. You might not get all the bells and whistles i.e Suri, but the UI will be upgraded, the UI will look the same even if you have an older model/style iPhone. I think we can agree that its not an issue of not being able to upgrade ( because you said before Dynavin has done it in the past ) or else they would not have put a windows/android os with a sim card slot, that can easily run an exe/bat file to start an upgrade.

Last edited by Burnse; 01-31-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #219
J&T Distributing

I guess what I am saying is yes, it would be nice if they did such things.....but the things you are talking about are not typically done in this industry, in time they may be and its starting to creep in with things like Pioneer's app radio..... but right now, in 2012, its not typical.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #220
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Yeah well I'm pissed off too Jeff, since I bought my E46 there have been three model upgrades and yet my car still looks like the old E46, you'd think BMW would look after their customers and offer free lifetime upgrades, I guess they care more about money.

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99