E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #241
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_1986 View Post
Right.. So clearly there's an issue, because my radio side USB function is not working! I have a feeling that I have connected the USB to the wrong USB port at the back of the Unit, as there are two ports at the back, could that be a possibility??
1 USB says GPS on it, on a tag, that is for the Android side you can connect your wifi dongle / bluetooth etc to that for android interaction.

The other USB says i think just usb on it cant remember thats for the radio side.

BUT make sure the USB stick is actually formatted correctly or it wont read a thing.

i think it has to be Fat32 .
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #242
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnse View Post
How about this analogy, since you brought up your e46. You spent XXX for the car and after owning it for a little while, you discovered you have ECU problems, maybe it's the way your car shifts ( granted, you probably don't drive an auto but we'll use it for simplicity ) or you're constantly getting dummy lights on the board for a sensor misread, etc. You know from reading forums that people complained to BMW and their solution is to buy a new car because it's enhanced/fixed. Would you go an buy the new car?
I really dont want to keep stretching this out but the analogy doesnt hold...

if something doesnt work on your car it gets fixed under warranty, if something doesnt work on your dynavin it gets fixed under warranty.

If there is something on your car you dont like or the car doesnt do something well (rides bad, noisy, etc) thats just the way it is, if there is something you dont like on your older dynavin or your dynavin doesnt do something well (ipod interface, old bluetooth) thats just the way it is.

you need to differentiate between product performance (how well does it do what it does) and product reliability (is it broken), those are two different things.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #243
A_1986

My Ride: E46 330CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
1 USB says GPS on it, on a tag, that is for the Android side you can connect your wifi dongle / bluetooth etc to that for android interaction.

The other USB says i think just usb on it cant remember thats for the radio side.

BUT make sure the USB stick is actually formatted correctly or it wont read a thing.

i think it has to be Fat32 .
Thanks for your help mate. The USB is formatted correctly for sure. I just have a funny feeling I connected the USB to the wrong USB connection! Looks like I'll be taking it out just to correct that, oh well, thanks again!
A_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #244
richyboycaldo

My Ride: Mx5 300zx 240z 330c
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
I don't THINK there is something wrong with it, I know as well as everyone does that it has the odd bug. Of course it does. Every software based product ever written has bugs. Games have bugs. iPhones have bugs. Everything has bugs. It's a fact of life.

People are just peeved that it seems to be mostly the Dynavin way (And its important to state - the Dynavin way, nothing to do with honest, hardworking resellers like Jeff) to simply bring out a new product for a bit more money than provide bug fixes and refinements for existing products. This is a poor long term business strategy, but a good quick-profit short term strategy. This is why people are irritated. Remember, the Dynavin units are NOT cheap products. Infact they are really quite expensive - it's a $300 product Dynavin sell for much more because, well, who elses are you gonna buy? Again, this is fine. I accept this and I'm ok with the premium for OEM look. But with high price comes high expectation for many.

HOWEVER..

Pre-purchase research, of which I have done much, means that really, we all know what we are getting into before we click buy. We KNOW there will be bugs. We know it's unlikely that they will be fixed before a D105 comes along for another $100. Therefore we should really take this into account before we buy and realise that what we get on Day 1 is it - all we are ever likely to get. Any updates are a bonuis, but we shouldn't expect them.

We'd all be a lot happier if we took that attitude, IMHO. Yea I know it sucks we have to, but thats the reality of the situation. Frankly we are lucky to have a product like this anyway given how old our cars are.

But it's a bit unfair to rail off at newbies who have found the forum after buying and are frustrated with issues. It's understandable why they are irritated and telling them its like buying a house and expecting a free upgrade is just daft.

And dont worry, I'll be buying one as soon as they hit the UK reseller! And it'll have bugs. And I'll contain my frustration when they fix the bugs in the D100
Agree, I now have a V5 and been waiting for a "resume" function for my ipod, when the v6 came out I was pissed. I actually tried to sell my v5 to buy a v6, when a month later I saw the V7 (D99). I don't want to buy the D99 to find out the bugs will be fixed later on the D100
richyboycaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #245
Burnse

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Jeff, I get it. You're a distributer you make xxx from sales.. Which I'm guessing would be a lot more money to you than if the company was passing out updates for a small fee.

My analogy does work because this can be fixed with a firmware/software upgrade. You or anyone else that thinks it's a limitation due to hardware is dead wrong.

I'm talking to Dynavin via emails, I'm not expecting a firmware update from them, just trying to find the truth.

How about this, you take a part a d95 and a d99 and show me the hardware differences and why software/firmware will not fix the the things I mentioned... Specifically what makes the limitations on d99 hardware that software/firmware can not fix/enhance the GUI/UI.

Last edited by Burnse; 02-01-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Burnse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #246
J&T Distributing

well you dont even have to open them up to see that there is additional circuitry for the OBC and PDC functions in the wire harness....so the ibus interface box is different, and the wire harness that that connects it is different, and presumably the circuitry inside is different as well, I havent had to crack any D99s open yet... The microphones are also different for the parrot bluetooth. Other than that, yes I agree, most of the rest of the unit is going to be similar.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-01-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #247
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
There is no way you are going to get OBC functionality using a simple software update, as Jeff says it has to interface with the iBUS and that takes hardware not software.
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #248
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
And back to D99's and how great they are.. do we have anyone else in here using Copilot Live 8 or Live Premium on the Dynavin units? I've heard one person say it works well but it would be good to get confirmation as to how it performs, as it looks like an absolutely excellent offline Android navigation solution. Have trawled Youtube but almost all the Dynavin Android videos are people using media functions rather than Navi.

Just wondering if the 500Mhz CPU is up to the job. Live 8 came out back in the days of the Google G1 so you'd kinda hope so.
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #249
listermint

right so was out with my distributor and i swapped the canbus that i had to the proper D99, its an 8 block connector as apposed to the x4 on the D95.

So OBC and PDC are sorted works great, well apart from the lack of battery reading but hey not too concerned.

Now on wards, anyone got a Wireless N dongle working with these? the b/g is somewhat limited. I bought an Edimax micro one but it doesnt seem to operate at all, might be a driver issue. but it is meant to work with all windows mac and linux, however as stated i believe its driver related.

Would like a better range on the wifi.

Can anyone tell me what version of Market they have that actually downloads things?? or is their a firmware update for the D99 that resolves the failed download issue.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #250
reigate

My Ride: e46
Android Bluetooth D99

I have tried three different USB sensors, including one from eBay that supposedly doesn't need drivers, and none of them are recognized by the android side (plugged into the USB extension after having removed the Wi-Fi dongle). Can someone please provide a purchase link to one that is known to be Dynavin compatible.
reigate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #251
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigate View Post
I have tried three different USB sensors, including one from eBay that supposedly doesn't need drivers, and none of them are recognized by the android side (plugged into the USB extension after having removed the Wi-Fi dongle). Can someone please provide a purchase link to one that is known to be Dynavin compatible.
Make sure you power down the unit and plug them in from boot, they may not detect when you plug them while unit is already on.

Also have a gander in the Dynavin Android thread (d95) there are many guys with operational bluetooth there, search 'bluetooth'.

i found my answer to wireless N question there.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #252
JacksonY

My Ride: BMW 330Ci (2004 E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonY View Post
I just got a DVN-E46 D99 WinCE installed today... I wanted android but the local distributor in Hong Kong do not stock the version. =(

However I need help with a couple of things...
I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.1...
1, I had paired my iPhone with the D99, works great, sounds okay but I guess thats as good as it gets... left my car then came back... and it occured to me that my iPhone is not automatically reconnecting to it... as did my old handsfree solution... but then my old solution had an "answer/hangup" button... just like BT headsets... pressing it will trigger the iPhone to reconnect to it... however I was unable to find this function on the Dynavin... and I had to go thru the millions of menus on my iPhone and click on the FC6000 button for it to reconnect... is there such a function or similar on these units? because the user manual is really no help...

2, It seems that the Dynavin is not able to load my phone book... whenever I tried to search for anyone... I would simply get "NO_DATA"... however... if someone calls me or if I call someone (via the headunit by manually dialing the numbers or the iPhone) I will get their contact name as entered in my iPhone. Am I doing something wrong? Because all the options are turned "ON" in my iPhone.
Ok... so you guys have an argument there but I kinda need some help here... and I feel like I am being ignored...

In addition to my previous questions, with a normal bluetooth headset, one would hold down the answer/hangup button of the headset to invoke voice control or Siri of the iPhone... how does one do that with the Dynavin?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #253
listermint

Quote:
Ok... so you guys have an argument there but I kinda need some help here... and I feel like I am being ignored...

In addition to my previous questions, with a normal bluetooth headset, one would hold down the answer/hangup button of the headset to invoke voice control or Siri of the iPhone... how does one do that with the Dynavin?
pretty sure there is no voice dial on the dynavin (radio side) anyway. might be available on the android side with google voice or similar.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #254
330touring

My Ride: 330d touring
Quote:

Iím new to this but Iíll give you my experience with the BT.

The majority of times my HTC connect when I start up my car, but a few times it hasnít. I simply made a short cut to the BT setup on my telephone screen. That way I can easily, tap on the FC6000, and the telephone connect. This is obvious not a fix, but a way to get around the problem.

Phonebook; The phonebook never appears on the screen when I go to the phone interface. After I deleted other ďpair upĒ units that were stored in my phone, and left only the FC6000, the name of the person who call me appear on the d99(if it is in my phonebook). Letís say I want to call Lauren. I have to touch the d99 screen to write L, and all my contacts that starts with L appear on the screen. If Lauren has more than one telephone number, only the first shows on the screen. In other words I have to use my fingers on the d99, guess I was wrong when I thought I could make a phone call from the steering wheel buttons.
330touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #255
J&T Distributing

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-03-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #256
listermint

Right so for Wireless N the Belkin F5D8053 works flawlessly. I managed to get mine off a second hand advert locally. cost me around 12 dollars.

This is the same unit if you are looking

If anyone has an operational Bluetooth USB dongle can you please post up images along with where it was purchased maybe brand etc so we can have a more accurate list of what works and what doesnt.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #257
JacksonY

My Ride: BMW 330Ci (2004 E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.
Thanks Jeff and 330touring, I will give the suggestions a try...

So I am guessing their is no way to invoke Siri or Voice Control on the iPhone like general bluetooth headsets? Cos surely it must be a very basic function to implement... its a driving aid after all... cant expect people to have to punch in the number let alone scrolling thru their phone book and trying to search with the on-screen keyboard...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #258
mototryph

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
it does not support video from ipod. sorry buddy.
I actually bought a RCA/iPod plug today, and I'm able to watch videos through the aux setting using my non jail broken iPhone 4. I was streaming YouTube videos
mototryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #259
col panic

My Ride: E46 M3
I just finished my installation of a D99 Android that I got from Jeff. Here is what I think about it so far:

Installation: I think it may be time to update the installation instructions. The HVAC and physical unit instructions are top notch and easy to follow, but it would have been really nice to know that the amp con, reverse, and brake wires are not needed. They aren't adressed in the instructions. My car has PDC and I spent at least an hour trying to find out where to connect the reverse wire. Turns out I didn't need to at all but there's no mention of it. I was also very surprised to learn that the external microphone only connects to the Android side if you get an Android unit. Running that wire up the pillar and over to the factory mic location is no easy task and a waste of time if you don't need a mic in Android.

Maybe these would make the instructions too cumbersome but there are no instructions on how to run the ipod cable to the glovebox or to the center console. I ended up running into the console, but I think the wire is getting pinched where the shift trim meets the console. Same goes for the GPS antenna. Instructions say to put it on the metal bar, but everything you read here says its better to put it on the dash but there are no instructions on how to get the wire there.

I'm sure there are dozens of DIY posts here on how to do all of these things, but that is also part of the problem. Finding answers here can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack (a hay stack filled with flame wars). Jeff's FAQs are great, but there are so many references to other units and other FAQs that its very cumbersome. I suspect thats why there are so many repeat questions that piss off so many people.

But overall the installation went fine and looks fantastic just like everyone says.

Operation:
The new home page is really slick and the PDC display and OBC readouts are a great addition. But the bluetooth "upgrade" is useless. Yes, it does synch with your phone, but you have to do it all by touch. There are only a few names listed and you have to scroll by flicking. And even when you have the name you want to dial its 50/50 whether or not you'll be able to touch that name or the one above or below it. I intuitively expected the knob on the right to scroll and push to select but it doesn't. IT SHOULD DAMMIT! I don't really see how this is an improvement over dialing and it is definitely not an improvement over taking your phone out of your pocket and dialing with that. But since the external mic doesn't work, its a moot point. I know ambient noise varies a lot between cars, but in my M3 unless I'm stopped the person on the other end can't hear me at all over the sound of the car. I'll still be driving with my trusty iphone earbuds and mic which is a bummer.

The ipod interface suffers from the same scrolling problem as the phone. If you could just use that knob! I don't think its an improvement over the pics I've seen of the previous ipod interface. They have fake album artwork that makes it look like a nice interface but it sucks in reality. I hope to use Android for that instead.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the Android side. All the negativity here around it had me worried about slow boot times, wifi tether problems and GPS lock problems. But I had no problems with any of these on the first day. So far its been great! But I fully expect to have some of those issues down the road but its way better than I feared.

Even if there are no further improvements made to it (which I'm not counting on) its still a HUGE improvement over the factory CD player and IMO well worth the money exactly as is. Not being able to really do handsfree calling is the only big disappointment.
col panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #260
J&T Distributing

???

My install guide specifically talks about putting the GPS antenna on top of the dash.....It shows multiple locations and suggest testing them to see what works best in your car.

As for the various possible cable locations, I can only explain so much in the guide if I am to keep it readable, I tried to cover as much as possible but there are certain things that are variable, locations of plugs, mics, accessories, and the cars themselves, I cant cover every possible variable, some of depends on the person installing to figure out.

For the phonebook its alphabetical search, you should not have to scroll, you type the first couple letters of your contact and it should appear at the top of the list, if you have trouble touching one of the names calibrate the screen as I instructed a couple posts before yours. Or maybe you mean its hard to touch because its small?

As far as finding info in these threads......I completely agree, unfortunately they have gotten so long and there are so many that it makes finding things difficult......thats why Darkoz gets POed every time somebody posts a new thread......it just muddies the waters further.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-03-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99