E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #261
col panic

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
???

My install guide specifically talks about putting the GPS antenna on top of the dash.....It shows multiple locations and suggest testing them to see what works best in your car.

As for the various possible cable locations, I can only explain so much in the guide if I am to keep it readable, I tried to cover as much as possible but there are certain things that are variable, locations of plugs, mics, accessories, and the cars themselves, I cant cover every possible variable, some of depends on the person installing to figure out.

For the phonebook its alphabetical search, you should not have to scroll, you type the first couple letters of your contact and it should appear at the top of the list, if you have trouble touching one of the names calibrate the screen as I instructed a couple posts before yours. Or maybe you mean its hard to touch because its small?

As far as finding info in these threads......I completely agree, unfortunately they have gotten so long and there are so many that it makes finding things difficult......thats why Darkoz gets POed every time somebody posts a new thread......it just muddies the waters further.
For the gps I was referring to how to run the gps wire from the unit to outside the dash. I think you have to drop the glovebox and go behind there, but I'm not sure. There wasn't an obvious way so I thought I'd try it inside the dash first and I think it's fine.

The contact names are small and hard to select plus if you have 5 ppl named john then it's not so simple. Bottom line is its not any easier or safer than pulling out my phone. If the knob worked it would be.

I know you put a ton of work into all of this and I'm not being critical. I'm just describing my experience and how it could be better. Overall I'm very happy.
col panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #262
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
fair enough, I don't disagree, using the knob instead would be nice. Touch screens can be tricky when you are at speed and hitting bumps.

If you put the antenna on the dash top you can tuck the wire in the gap between the windshield and the dash, between the A pillar and the dash, run it down the side of the dash where it can be run behind the weatherstripping, and from there under the dash. If the underdash location works for you though, dont worry about it.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #263
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by col panic View Post
For the gps I was referring to how to run the gps wire from the unit to outside the dash. I think you have to drop the glovebox and go behind there, but I'm not sure. There wasn't an obvious way so I thought I'd try it inside the dash first and I think it's fine.

The contact names are small and hard to select plus if you have 5 ppl named john then it's not so simple. Bottom line is its not any easier or safer than pulling out my phone. If the knob worked it would be.

I know you put a ton of work into all of this and I'm not being critical. I'm just describing my experience and how it could be better. Overall I'm very happy.

Im going to put this out there... Why didnt you put together your own DIY with your experiences bad / good maybe some photos.

I find putting together a diy instead of complaining about someone elses benefits everyone ?

As for the voice dial on the radio side, i agree it should have this facility as parrot pretty much go it spot on with their MK9200 perhaps they dont want to give competition that leg up.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #264
col panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Im going to put this out there... Why didnt you put together your own DIY with your experiences bad / good maybe some photos.

I find putting together a diy instead of complaining about someone elses benefits everyone ?

As for the voice dial on the radio side, i agree it should have this facility as parrot pretty much go it spot on with their MK9200 perhaps they dont want to give competition that leg up.
I don't have time, this board is already bursting with DIY posts and I'm not in the radio selling/install business. But if I were I would welcome feedback from my customers as I think Jeff does.

Plus if there were ever a board where complaining was the norm, this would certainly be it. Even if it's just complaining about the quality of someone else's complaining. But I'm not complaining.

I like the thing a lot. I just took a 3 hour road trip using google nav and pandora the whole way. Android crashed 3 times. Just BOOM crashed out of the blue. But other than that it worked great. It never lost GPS or wifi. I can handle the odd crash. And as long as I just compare it to the unit it replaced its phenomenal. If I compare it to what I wish it were or the oem in my wife's Mercedes, it a total POS, but compared to the old CD player which I would have just turned off when I got out of range of the stations I like, it's great.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #265
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:

BINGO!
But I'm sure that the excuse will be "that I don't have time" meaning I have time to complain but no time help others out.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #266
col panic

For the record I wasn't talking about DIY posts on a forum. I was talking about the instructions that come with the purchase of the unit and I thought 3 things were missing.
1 - They don't mention anything about the amp con, reverse and brake wires - I did not know that they didn't need to be connected. I figured the reverse wire would need to be connected to make the PDC display show, but it doesn't.
2 - They don't tell you that the external mic doesn't work for bluetooth phone if it is an Android unit. This is very important to know as you could waste a couple of hours running that mic up to the factory location only to find out that it doesn't work.
3 - They don't tell you how to route the wires for the gps antenna or ipod. I thought there would be a way to get the gps cable out of the dash behind the AC vents - having never worked on this part of my car before it wasn't very clear to me.

And even someone did make a DIY post complete with pictures, videos and a helper with big boobs that included the parts I felt were missing, most people would still follow the instructions that came with the unit, not a post on a forum - so I think pointing out a few missing things from vendor supplied instructions is completely appropriate and helpful, not complaining and certainly not an aversion to helping other people.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #267
J&T Distributing

Quote:
the external mic doesn't work for bluetooth phone if it is an Android unit. This is very important to know as you could waste a couple of hours running that mic up to the factory location only to find out that it doesn't work.
This is not correct, either mic can be used for the phone.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #268
col panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
This is not correct, either mic can be used for the phone.
Really? I may hook it up then and see if its better than the internal one. You said the opposite here though:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1100

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought I saw a discussion about the internal only working for Bluetooth and external only working for Android.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #269
cptpitts767

My Ride: 2010 X5 35d
Hey guys... I'm over on the Bimmerpost e90 forum for the D99. I purchased the Navigon app through the D99 wifi in my garage using my home wifi... now I am not able to download the 1.6gb map because my stupid car electronics shuts down when I am trying to download this huge file. What do I do? Is there a way to download the map files to my laptop and install directly onto the SD card?

2011 X5 5.0
2011 335i Sport
2011 135i Sport
2010 135i Sport Convertible
cptpitts767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #270
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Really? I may hook it up then and see if its better than the internal one. You said the opposite here though:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1100

Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought I saw a discussion about the internal only working for Bluetooth and external only working for Android.
That is on the older units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptpitts767 View Post
Hey guys... I'm over on the Bimmerpost e90 forum for the D99. I purchased the Navigon app through the D99 wifi in my garage using my home wifi... now I am not able to download the 1.6gb map because my stupid car electronics shuts down when I am trying to download this huge file. What do I do? Is there a way to download the map files to my laptop and install directly onto the SD card?
leave the car running? I have this same issue on my E92 when im doing configurations/calibrations with my JBL MS-8, the car shuts down the electronics after so many minutes.....so I have to leave it running when Im working on my audio settings etc...

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 02-04-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #271
Darkoz

Quote:
2 - They don't tell you that the external mic doesn't work for bluetooth phone if it is an Android unit. This is very important to know as you could waste a couple of hours running that mic up to the factory location only to find out that it doesn't work.
3 - They don't tell you how to route the wires for the gps antenna or ipod. I thought there would be a way to get the gps cable out of the dash behind the AC vents - having never worked on this part of my car before it wasn't very clear to me. .........
2- Not sure what the problem is but the external mic works the same both with the WinCE and Android version
3- surely you don't expect to have instructions for routing the cables to every possible location in the car?
There's more than one location that you could place the GPS antenna, iPod and USB cables, it's a matter of personal preference on how you'd want to do it .
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #272
m3fanat1c

My Ride: 2001 ///M3-2002 325i
I'm gonna pull my hair out lol. Ok, so after installing the D99 in my M3 an wiring the standard harness to the Fakra cable (got a facelift one by accident) everything works flawlessly. Illumination, cd, Internet, steering wheel controls EXCEPT my GPS NEVER picks up a signal.

It worked when it was in my sedan yesterday. Anything I could have done wrong? It's screwed in tight to the back of the unit. I went over the cable to make sure there is no crimps or tears in the wire an it's clean. Someone help, I am so annoyed. I had a D95 that crapped out on me and Dynavin had to warranty it an gave me a d99 an I paid the difference, so I'm just tired of these units. Sorry for complaining. Can anyone help? End ramble lol

2001 E46 ///M3 MT --------- 2002 325i Sport MT
m3fanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #273
reigate

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fanat1c View Post
I'm gonna pull my hair out lol. Ok, so after installing the D99 in my M3 an wiring the standard harness to the Fakra cable (got a facelift one by accident) everything works flawlessly. Illumination, cd, Internet, steering wheel controls EXCEPT my GPS NEVER picks up a signal.

It worked when it was in my sedan yesterday. Anything I could have done wrong? It's screwed in tight to the back of the unit. I went over the cable to make sure there is no crimps or tears in the wire an it's clean. Someone help, I am so annoyed. I had a D95 that crapped out on me and Dynavin had to warranty it an gave me a d99 an I paid the difference, so I'm just tired of these units. Sorry for complaining. Can anyone help? End ramble lol
I installed a D99 the other day and could not get decent signal with the GPS sensor positioned anywhere up front, possibly because I have a tinted front windscreen. Purchased an extension cable and repositioned the sensor to the rear parcel shelf and now it works extremely well with full satelite lock about the time the android side has finished booting; guess that is why BMW positioned the sensor back there.
reigate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #274
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fanat1c View Post

Where is your GPS antenna located?
Take the antenna and place it outside of the car onto the roof in your driveway, not in the garage, and see if it picks up a signal.

I had the same issue initially as reigate mentions above, would not pick up a signal anywhere while the antenna was up front but as soon as I placed the antenna onto the rear parcel shelf it worked straight away.

Last edited by Darkoz; 02-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #275
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
That's a great idea about putting it on the rear parcel shelf. What sort of cable do we use to extend it?
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #276
Darkoz

^ I have the V4 Dynavin and the supplied GPS cable was long enough to reach the rear parcel shelf.
I have the antenna magnetised to the centre restraint bolt location.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #277
arcasb

My Ride: E46-320d
Quote:
1 USB says GPS on it, on a tag, that is for the Android side you can connect your wifi dongle / bluetooth etc to that for android interaction.

The other USB says i think just usb on it cant remember thats for the radio side.

BUT make sure the USB stick is actually formatted correctly or it wont read a thing.

i think it has to be Fat32 .
...in my unit (D99 Android) the SD-CARD in under FAT only not FAT 32, not sure if its the same for WinCE.

Last edited by arcasb; 02-06-2012 at 04:08 AM.
arcasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #278
arcasb

DVN-E46 D99 Android

has anyone of u using the 3G Modem USB Dongle, coz im planning to buy one from this company, it says that, its only for Android unit.

http://www.caraudio24.de/Navigations...efID=idealo-at

Im just wondering how it will work with my simcard from the other network provider like (A1 Austrian Network), since it has its own software...

Do i have to copy the software into the 3G USB Dongle from Dynavin...
Would it work...

If anyone of you, knows how to do it.. PLEASE just post it....

MANY THANKS!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #279
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcasb View Post
has anyone of u using the 3G Modem USB Dongle, coz im planning to buy one from this company, it says that, its only for Android unit.

http://www.caraudio24.de/Navigations...efID=idealo-at

Im just wondering how it will work with my simcard from the other network provider like (A1 Austrian Network), since it has its own software...

Do i have to copy the software into the 3G USB Dongle from Dynavin...
Would it work...

If anyone of you, knows how to do it.. PLEASE just post it....

MANY THANKS!

From last posts on this subject i would advise not to buy it. As it appears that they have not fully been capable of getting the 3G modem operational successfully with this unit.

There was a spanish poster here having numourous issues attempting to get this to work. I dont think he has achieved success to date.

Best bet currently is to tether unit to Cell Phone until they have this operational correctly.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #280
arcasb

Quote:
From last posts on this subject i would advise not to buy it. As it appears that they have not fully been capable of getting the 3G modem operational successfully with this unit.

There was a spanish poster here having numourous issues attempting to get this to work. I dont think he has achieved success to date.

Best bet currently is to tether unit to Cell Phone until they have this operational correctly.
Hi listermint, many thanks for your advice!

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99