E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #301
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
No, the D99 units always start on the audio source screen.
maybe my e39 model is glitching, but it's started twice on the android side directly from boot. I haven't ever really paid attention to the duration of time the car has been off, but it's probably a short amount of time.
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #302
mototryph

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Has anyone had trouble playing burned DVD's through the wince D99? Do I need to change something in the settings to allow this? I searched for this already but found nothing. Any help would be appreciated!
mototryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #303
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Jeff is that for the WinCE version as well, don't they have the 'Start Automically' option in the navi settings?
Sure, the winCE part is the same as it has always been so when the unit starts up windows boots and starts the nav program as usual. My answer was just in reference to what ends up on the screen at startup by default, which is the currently selected media source, as always a press of the nav butting gets the map on the screen instead.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #304
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototryph View Post
Has anyone had trouble playing burned DVD's through the wince D99? Do I need to change something in the settings to allow this? I searched for this already but found nothing. Any help would be appreciated!
It will play burned DVDs/CDs but it depends on what format you burned them in and whether the Dynavin supports that particular file format.
Their website will tell you which files it supports.......
http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e46.php

Last edited by Darkoz; 02-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Darkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #305
M<3

My Ride: United States
So for those of you who jumped to the last page about the Dynavin D99 Android here's a good summery from what I understand:

1. The hardware is similar to the previous generation; instead of a software update you have to buy the whole new system.
2. There's bugs. It doesn't cache your settings; It doesn't keep playing music after a call; (I assume there's a lot more); over all it's not reliable like your iPhone of Android phone.
3. Installation sounds pretty DIY
4. And Jeff is really helpful.

So all, call me crazy... but I build software for a living and I could imagine building something up for the Dynavin systems from scratch. I could also imagine teaming up with some hardware guys and building a real, proper head-unit that runs Android and come with a solid GPS antenna. Software updates and all. I'm considering putting it up on Kickstarter.... any takers?
M<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #306
mototryph

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Thanks Darkoz!!!
mototryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #307
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M<3 View Post
So for those of you who jumped to the last page about the Dynavin D99 Android here's a good summery from what I understand:

1. The hardware is similar to the previous generation; instead of a software update you have to buy the whole new system.
2. There's bugs. It doesn't cache your settings; It doesn't keep playing music after a call; (I assume there's a lot more); over all it's not reliable like your iPhone of Android phone.

So all, call me crazy... but I build software for a living and I could imagine building something up for the Dynavin systems from scratch. I could also imagine teaming up with some hardware guys and building a real, proper head-unit that runs Android and come with a solid GPS antenna. Software updates and all. I'm considering putting it up on Kickstarter.... any takers?
What do you mean by doesn't cache setting?
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #308
AndyInOz

My Ride: Mercedes CLK320
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyInOz
Dynavin D99 Android Questions - Help!

Hi all Andy and I am a newbie here. I was BMW through and through but sort of crossed to the dark side (Mercedes CLK320) but still love BMWs too. I am here because your main man Jeff is without doubt the only one in the world that really knows anything about these finicky Dynavins. Well I have had 2 now, so am I dumb or smart. They are seriously good in some respects but tragic in others. First the D95 was possibly the worst implemented piece of chinese hardware every put into the market place. I know coz i bought one! Still regardless of all the faults it still beat the crap CD based Merc command system with its line drawing GPS. When I heard that the D99 was coming out I was orgasmic and started hiding the money away from the wife so I could buy one in the hope that the Germans and Chinese had overcome their language problems and fixed all the bugs with the earlier model. How is it that they haven't learned anything? Anyway enough.

Can anyone just give me some answers to these questions please.....given that we all pretty well have to self install these things ourselves (Regrettably there is no Jeff substitute in Oz. The questions
On the D99 the left hand SD card belongs to the Android section right?. Does this imply that the right hand SD belongs to the radio card? If so what does it have to be formatted as? Fat32, Fat16? How big can the MMC card be? 64 Gb? Do all the music folders have to be at the root? Can the Dynavin see down more than one level down?
On my Dynavin I cannot see the SD card at all no matter what I do. This is the same SD card that worked flawlessly in the D95....go figure....
The USB options. There are two USB options. One is the USB for the Wifi dongle hanging off the Android side? Checked this and it works fine, but it will read nothing else.

The other USB will accept a usb stick, but will not read from it or find it. Again do these need to be specially formatted? Fat 32, Fat 16? Any clues here guys?
Or is this USB lead for something else all together like a DVD in?
If any of you terribly gifted BMW owners could help a poor Aussie Mercedes CLK 320 owner I will be impressed....Thanks in anticipation Andy
AndyInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #309
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
No, the D99 units always start on the audio source screen.
My D99 starts on the last used audio source i.e. if I was using the radio when I switched off the car, then the radio will start when I start the car again.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #310
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
My D99 starts on the last used audio source i.e. if I was using the radio when I switched off the car, then the radio will start when I start the car again.
Yes, thats what I mean....it starts on the last used audio screen as opposed to starting on the map screen.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #311
episof

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M<3 View Post

I have a D99 and have been trying to decide if I should take it apart and try to fix the things I don't like or look into the cost for me to build a better unit. If you decide to embark on your project you have at least one volunteer. I don't have much hardware design experience but can program in several languages.
episof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #312
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
Only the M3 has an oil temp sensor which is why it doesn't work on the dynavin.
Quote:
Only the M3 has an oil temp sensor, the rest of the E46 lineup do not have one, therefore nothing for the dynavin to read.
What is this part number then? 13621433076

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&fg=30&hl=45

another: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...oling/ES34326/

Not trying to be argumentative, but am I missing something? This is described as a water/oil temp sensor? Can any owners confirm what the Dynavin d99 OBC does/does not display?
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec

Last edited by rellik; 02-17-2012 at 05:30 PM.
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #313
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik View Post
What is this part number then? 13621433076

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&fg=30&hl=45

another: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...oling/ES34326/

Not trying to be argumentative, but am I missing something? This is described as a water/oil temp sensor? Can any owners confirm what the Dynavin d99 OBC does/does not display?
That to me looks an oil/water sensor for the motor to run efficiently, not to display any readings.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #314
SteveN2

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Surely then the computer would have the reading in order to run efficiently? It doesn't make sense that BMW would then hide it's value from the OBC display.
SteveN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #315
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveN2 View Post
Surely then the computer would have the reading in order to run efficiently? It doesn't make sense that BMW would then hide it's value from the OBC display.
Why wouldn't it make sense, it's just a sensor for the OBC to read and make adjustments to the engine accordingly, it doesn't mean that it's there to display anything.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #316
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Why wouldn't it make sense, it's just a sensor for the OBC to read and make adjustments to the engine accordingly, it doesn't mean that it's there to display anything.
Agreed, but i assume this information is on the Canbus so should be available to read. Potentially the Dynavin requires some can modification to pick up certain information, Mine still doesnt display battery values but there is clearly battery information as i can read it from INPA.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #317
The grease cougar

My Ride: Audi
Hi, New to the forum and a dynavin virgin! Hope you can help, I have researched the threads and am unable to find any help. I have recently installed a D99 android with the assistance of my mate who is a former BMW mechanic. I have a couple of issues I am unable to fix. Firstly when playing a CD or on the radio there is an annoying blip in the sound every so often, the only way I can describe it, its like a track skipping sound as if the cd is jumping however like I say it happens on all audio outputs. Sometimes when I start it up it doesn't do it for a while and it then suddenly starts, I have checked all my connections to no avail. Secondly when I press the 'Nav' button, I just get the dynavin logo appear that flashes/pulses and nothing else. Again I have checked the connections and have the wireless adaptor plugged into the gps usb. Any help would be appreciated
The grease cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #318
J&T Distributing

those are related issues, android is failing to load and each time it loops you get a sound drop out. Reload the android ROM.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #319
The grease cougar

My Ride: Audi
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, gonna sound stupid but how do I do that? The instruction manual isnt the best!
The grease cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #320
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grease cougar View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, gonna sound stupid but how do I do that? The instruction manual isnt the best!
Search, it's been covered a thousand times

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99