E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #501
rahul20010

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchPlayer View Post
@Rahul20010

For the rear camera install did you use one of the loose wires on the Fakra cable, reverse or parking?

Or it was just connect the camera and the wires, and you only connected the video cable of the camera to the Dynavin?
2nd one - Connected video to dynavin. The license plate light camera did not work for me. Camera would not fit the socket. I know people talked about filing it and stuff, but I decided against it. Instead I have a license plate mounted camera now (ugly and $120) but it works.
rahul20010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #502
rahul20010

Guys - would really appreciate if anyone can chime in. Seems like all questions are going unanswered.

Everything is installed and setup. However there are few odd things that are bugging me. Before you start saying search the forum, I HAVE searched the forum and cannot seem to find the info.

1. Bluetooth - I lose Bluetooth audio in Navigation mode. I must be in phone screen or the main menu screen of unit for Bluetooth audio to work. Is there a workaround to that? I really want this to work.

2. Video - Don't really care for this one but curious for why this isn't working. I put in a DVD into the unit. I can hear the sound play but I dont get the video. Instead I get an error saying " This function is not available while driving the car". Car is in park, and I have tried handbrakes as well. I know Jeff mentioned for V5 and V6 there is a workaround in the radio setting. Anything like that available in D99? BTW, my park and handbrake wires are both wired.

BTW - Jeff, the flush mount kit is awesome. Using your pictures for idea, mine is setup with Aux and USB in the Euro tray. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #503
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
Thanks for the answer Rahul20010!

Maybe this helps you, it's from Jeff's FAQ page.

12: Do I need to ground the "park" wire to make video work while the car is in motion?
No, the V5/V6 has a setting in the radio menu called "brake," Turn it off. The V1-4 will need to have the "park" wire grounded, just tap it into the black wire on the dynavin harness or ground the wire directly to the chassis of the dyanivin using an existing screw.

And for what I understand is that V6=D99

Last edited by DutchPlayer; 04-19-2012 at 07:14 AM.
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #504
rahul20010

Dutchplayer - thanks. I saw that post too on Jeff's FAQ. But it's for v5 and v6 (v6 is for 5 series right?) I can't seem to find this setting in d99 radio. Anyone know if there is a comparable to this on d99?

Dutchplayer - are you installing a rear camera as well? Which camera are you using? I would like to get a proper fit for my 2001 sedan if possible and toss out the license plate bracket camera. Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #505
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
its in the "radio settings".....the BRAKE setting.

Try not to use "V" numbers anymore.....its just confusing....Dynaivn uses platform designations like D99 and D95, we should too if we want to keep things simple.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #506
rahul20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
its in the "radio settings".....the BRAKE setting.

Try not to use "V" numbers anymore.....its just confusing....Dynaivn uses platform designations like D99 and D95, we should too if we want to keep things simple.
Jeff - Thanks but how do I access the Radio Settings menu? I read through your FAQ on the site but can't figure out how to access the radio settings on my D99. The setting icon on my main screen takes me to Sound, System and Display settings. There is no option for radio there. What am I missing? Thank you so much for your help in advance!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #507
J&T Distributing

yes that is the menu you want.....find the BRAKE setting, its on the SYSTEM page if I recall.

I am referring to it as the radio menu....as opposed to the navigation menu....
Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #508
ottonavigps
Past Site Sponsor

It has preout RCA' connections...
ottonavigps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #509
rahul20010

Thanks Jeff - that did it!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #510
DutchPlayer

Rahul20010 - I'm also fooling around with the license plate light rear view camera. But like you said, then you have to modify several things. And I would like to keep everything OEM as possible.

So I Found this camera, http://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Vision-N...item19d008dda0

For this camera you only need to drill 1 hole next to the license plate light, the wiring works more logical and the connector is smaller to get it in the trunk.

Example, http://www.bigpatsfans.com/ZHPREV2.JPG

I'm only looking for a black version of the camera just like the one from the example.

Found also this, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...camera&page=10 that dude made the license plate light camera in the OEM license plate glass cover.

Last edited by DutchPlayer; 04-21-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #511
E46Sedan

My Ride: 2002 M3
Has anyone been successful with getting BT to work on the android side? I guess the first issue that I'm trying to solve is getting the USB hub to work in order to add the BT.

Scenario 1:
Wifi plugged directly to Dynavin GPS USB, wifi Stick works and android can detect wifi networks

Scenario 2:
USB hub is introduced, wifi stick is connected to one of the open slot. USB hub gets power & the wifi stick too, but android is unable to detect that the wifi stick is plugged in.

I've tried 3 different 4 port USB hubs and am unsuccessful with getting the USB hub to work.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm trying to get the Torque app to work but it needs the BT dongle for the android side.

Thanks
E46Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #512
slackjack

My Ride: E46 325ci Convertibl
Hi Darkoz

Like your sense of humour, mate. I've just had a D99 installed and some things don't work but I'll sure do my bit before I unleash myself on the E46 community. John
slackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #513
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Crester wrote:

"If you disconnect the green 'reverse' wire then you don't get your music cut out when reversing but you also get no reverse beeper, nor OSD for it either. It should be possible to have a combination of all, and just have the beeps played on top of whatever source is coming through, but if absolutely nothing else that the source you had before resumes correctly afterwards. The thing that infuriates me with it is bluetooth cutting out and then you have to then unlock your phone and navigate back to the controls etc. It's astonishingly bad in this respect, although not quite enough to put me off owning one."

I disconnected the green wire at the end of the Fakra cable (where the cable meets the OEM cable in the boot) and the music still cut out (camera still works though) any idea how to stop the music cutting out?
Anyone have any idea here??
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #514
rahul20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchPlayer View Post
Rahul20010 - I'm also fooling around with the license plate light rear view camera. But like you said, then you have to modify several things. And I would like to keep everything OEM as possible.

So I Found this camera, http://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Vision-N...item19d008dda0

For this camera you only need to drill 1 hole next to the license plate light, the wiring works more logical and the connector is smaller to get it in the trunk.

Example, http://www.bigpatsfans.com/ZHPREV2.JPG

I'm only looking for a black version of the camera just like the one from the example.

Found also this, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...camera&page=10 that dude made the license plate light camera in the OEM license plate glass cover.
Hmm, like it except for color. Also - fit might be an issue as it does not state which models. I think the one Jeff has does not need any drilling of holes. You can pass through the wires from the bracket on to the inside -might be wrong though.

Not sure if others ran into a problem, but is the license light bracket (that black horizontal strip) different size in the pre-facelift (1999-2001) that the facelift cars (2002-2004?) The camera I got, apparently would fit a facelift car license plate light socket without any mods. Has anyone else run into this?

Dutchplayer - if you find a perfect fit for E46 pre-facelift sedan, do post. Thanks man!

Last edited by rahul20010; 04-23-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #515
MattyD44

My Ride: BMW 325Ci M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
I've never experienced lockups or crashes with my CE D99 running iGo Primo 2. Infact iGo runs so beautifully it more than makes up for the shortcomings on the radio side of the unit.
I think the locking up is something to do with the sys file. Is there any chance of anyone copying theirs on to here for me to compare to? Or is that against the rules?
MattyD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #516
slackjack

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Anyone have any idea here??
Actually I like silence when I'm reversing but I understand your frustration as well. With me I still rely on the OEM beep and use the camera as a backup. I also found that the scale on screen is incorrect. At 3m the gap is actually about 3 feet. Luckily I can still undestand "feet and inches."
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #517
rahul20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
Actually I like silence when I'm reversing but I understand your frustration as well. With me I still rely on the OEM beep and use the camera as a backup. I also found that the scale on screen is incorrect. At 3m the gap is actually about 3 feet. Luckily I can still undestand "feet and inches."
SlackJack - how did you get the scale to appear on the screen? I do not have PDC. When I backup, I just get a rear camera view without any scale. Is there a hack somewhere? Thanks. Rahul
Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #518
slackjack

Dunno. It was just there from the start. Maybe it's the brand of camera (although that doesn't seem logical). My installer suggested that maybe slightly different Head Units are sold in different countries - maybe that's it. Actually the utubes I briefly looked at had the grid but no indication of the actual depth either. My depth indicators are just labels on the grid (if that's what it's called), they're not some sort of fancy length counter which changes as the space behind you changes. Cheers John
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #519
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul20010 View Post
SlackJack - how did you get the scale to appear on the screen? I do not have PDC. When I backup, I just get a rear camera view without any scale. Is there a hack somewhere? Thanks. Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
Dunno. It was just there from the start. Maybe it's the brand of camera (although that doesn't seem logical). My installer suggested that maybe slightly different Head Units are sold in different countries - maybe that's it. Actually the utubes I briefly looked at had the grid but no indication of the actual depth either. My depth indicators are just labels on the grid (if that's what it's called), they're not some sort of fancy length counter which changes as the space behind you changes. Cheers John
its a feature of the camera, not the dynavin, some cameras have it, some dont. By tilting the angle of the camera you can adjust the accuracy of the distance measures.....this is easier with some cameras than others
Old 04-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #520
DutchPlayer

Finally got the Dynavin D99 WinCE installed last Monday, and I have to say that it's working pretty nice.

Right now it's for me a test phase, before I permanent mount everything back in place. The middle air vents were drama to remove, but that was a known issue.

- Let's begin with the Radio, from my opinion the sound is better then from a OEM Business CD Radio, reception of the radio channels is also better.

- Parrot Bluetooth hands free, works super! I use the internal mic from the Dynavin and the other person on the line told me they can hear me clearly.

- iGo Navigation is also working great, fast GPS fix what surprised me because I have mounted the GPS antenna between the middle air vent.

- USB, reads nicely my Sandisk stick with MP3's and video clips, the Dynavin played them all.

- CD/DVD drive, only tested a CD and was playing fine.

- OBC, is working but some of the options stay blank. Probably because my E46 form 10-1998 doesn't support several sensors like Oil temp and voltage.

The only but is that some of the menu's look cheap, if I look at software like Centrafuse or other car pc software Dynavin cold learn something from those software developers. Overall is the Dynavin D99 is a very cool gadget/option and works good.

Rahul20010 - Still working on the camera, I also think that the camera that Jeff sells is the best option and will fit the best. I cut up the license plate light camera and going to mod it into the license plate light glass. Then it will look like the one Jeff sells.

Last edited by DutchPlayer; 04-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99