E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #521
slackjack

My Ride: E46 325ci Convertibl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
its a feature of the camera, not the dynavin, some cameras have it, some dont. By tilting the angle of the camera you can adjust the accuracy of the distance measures.....this is easier with some cameras than others
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply & info. I'm the Aussie guy who got your valuable help about the steering wheel cable and the "comfort window" when I was on the way to the installers. Have I got a story for you!! But it'll take a while for me to post it because I'm still occupying myself with the D99 unit to see what it actually does. I saw your post re tethering and I'm setting up that now. I tried connecting to my home wi-fi but as you said, the unit isn't intended to do this. I don't want to post until I've got any issues down to their bare bones, if that makes sense. In other words, I don't want to ask questions like "how do you play mp3's" until I know it doesn't play mp3's (which it does). I've cut and pasted 7 pages of setting up information and I'll work my way through them.
slackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #522
rahul20010

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Hey Guys - ran into a lot of problem with my car today. I used my car yesterday and everything was fine - D99 worked and car worked fine. No mechanical issues or warnings or anything. Tonight I went into my car, everything seemed normal at first - D99 worked lights came on in car. But I cannot crank it anymore. Here is a video - Has anyone run into this? Anything to do with wiring of the D99? Since that was the last thing I did to my car (and the only thing I have ever done in my car), obvious suspicion goes to that. Sorry if it is off topic but I am def curious.
rahul20010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #523
slackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul20010 View Post
Hey Guys - ran into a lot of problem with my car today. I used my car yesterday and everything was fine - D99 worked and car worked fine. No mechanical issues or warnings or anything. Tonight I went into my car, everything seemed normal at first - D99 worked lights came on in car. But I cannot crank it anymore. Here is a video - Has anyone run into this? Anything to do with wiring of the D99? Since that was the last thing I did to my car (and the only thing I have ever done in my car), obvious suspicion goes to that. Sorry if it is off topic but I am def curious.
Gosh, no idea. I can only think that maybe you have a flat battery and that it's a coincidence.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #524
rahul20010

Never mind - figured it was my battery. Surprised it lasted 11 years!!! I think using the D99 while in accessory mode (on battery) for 2 hours did it in. Not D99's fault but an old battery and a thick head like me. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #525
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Anyone got any tips for improving sound quality? Is it worth hooking up an external amp and some decent speakers or is it a case of garbage in = garbage out?

Mine still doesn't power on until I hit the 'on' button about 20% of the time, which is odd.
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #526
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
I would begin with some decent speakers, What I've heard when you buy a nice compo set it's a big difference/improvement of the sound from your Radio/Dynavin. If it's still not enough you can hook up some external amps to get it all louder.

Does anyone know how I shut up the navigation voice when I'm listening to the Radio or whatever the audio source is? In the beginning I thought it's kinda funny when the navi voice tells me I'm driving to fast but it's getting annoying.
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #527
Phantoms69

My Ride: 330ci
Okay need some help please. I just got the D99 today changing up from the D90. I'm doing the install but am having a problem with one piece. I can't figure out what it connects to. It seems like I'm missing a cable or something. I connected it to the harness for the D99 no problem but on the other end of the box is a connector but nothing on the radio or the car harness matches it.

Anyone know what it connects to other than the harness for the D99? It's the box circled in yellow.

Thanks.....

My 330Ci - A work in progress.....
M3 Front Bumper - M-Tech II Rear Bumper - Sprint Booster - K&N Cold Air Intake - BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Brace - Dynavin Android Radio
19" Staggered iForged Daytonas - Quad Tip Muffler Delete - Smoked Corners and Rear Lights with LED - 6000k Angel Eyes -
Phantoms69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #528
rahul20010

Has anyone used an anti-glare screen on D99? The glare is ok most of the time but sometimes the screen is a wash out. I found this and wondering if anyone has used this before: http://www.nushield.com/order.php?ap...urerid=Dynavin

I am looking at the D90 option. Would it fit?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #529
Phantoms69

My Ride: 330ci
Hey everyone, I hope someone sees this..

I can't seem to see page 27 or further on this thread. I posted yesterday and after that Page 27 on will not load. I can see all the other pages 1 - 26 with no issues.

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone else know what it might be or how to fix it? Please shoot me a PM if you have an idea on what I can do to make it work. I have the D99 now and would like to follow this thread.

Thanks,

My 330Ci - A work in progress.....
M3 Front Bumper - M-Tech II Rear Bumper - Sprint Booster - K&N Cold Air Intake - BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Strut Brace - Dynavin Android Radio
19" Staggered iForged Daytonas - Quad Tip Muffler Delete - Smoked Corners and Rear Lights with LED - 6000k Angel Eyes -
Phantoms69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #530
rahul20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
I had this with iGo Primo on my Windows based D99. I have pretty much solved it by using a Class 10 SD card.
I had the exact same issue. I switched over to a class 10 SD card as well (Amazon Basics) and it works great now.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #531
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Do all the options in the OBD menu work on M3s?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #532
slackjack

My experience with my Dynavin D99

G'day all,

I've been meaning to write this review/handy hints post for ages now. Before I start I want to thank the contributors to this site who mainly wouldn't know they've helped me, but they have. Among them:
  • Jeff who answered my panic email about the need for a separate aerial cable (No, it's already in the Fakra cable)
  • Spk on the the75andztclub website for his information on compatible micro SD cards.
  • CTMon
  • rahul20010

For those who don't feel inclined to read all of this, here are my main observations and what I've learnt:

The steering wheel control box has just one connection (to the Fakra cable). The USB connection on this box is irrelevant to the installation.
You don't have to put up with that dreadful media playing program (WinCE). You can play all your music through the left hand Android micro SD port.
I've got a Samsung 32GB card with over 5000 songs on it in this slot, working well. But remember it must be formatted correctly (FAT, 8 sectors and made Active). There's a very good article here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=105337

I found that the native WinCE player wouldn't shuffle/randomly play properly and wouldn't remember where you left off before turning the ignition off. Winamp and possibly Poweramp do. They look a hell of a lot better too and I was pleased to see that the steering wheel controls (volume etc)worked on both the WinCE side and the Android side of the Unit.

If you want to install Sygic (which I have), you need to tether your phone to the unit. There may be other way to transfer the App and Maps from a phone but I didn't try. Sygic let me transfer my App from a phone I sold without charge. Be prepared to pay access data download charges - my map was nearly 1GB.

Having said that, here is my experience:

What I had.
2006 E46 with the screen, 6 CD stacker, TV, no Sat Nav.

Installation
Bought unit in Australia with camera. Got quotes and settled on a local audio/car accessories franchise. Also contacted the recommended installer but he was over the other side of the city and more expensive.

When I rang the installer after he's had the car for a couple of hours, he said he could only install the camera because another cable was required - the Fakra cable. He also said that he had trouble getting the original system out of the dash. If I had have taken a hard line I could have argued that the installer should have known from the start that a boot to dash cable was required and that the "wasted time" was unnecessary. I'm also disappointed that the retailer in Australia didn't have any information about the Fakra cable on his web site. How was I to know it was required?

During my conversations with the installer, we also discussed in detail where the GPS aerial should be located and he strongly urged that it should be above the dashboard - I agreed. He and I also agreed that the microphone be placed behind the central light near the rear view mirror.

When I got home I saw that one bracket on the original system was bent. This decreases its value for resale. The horizontal part of the dash which adjoined the bent bracket was also damaged and I had to glue a metal plate behind it so it would be strong enough to hold the Dynavin Unit.

When I got the Fakra cable, I took the Unit down again, this time to be installed by the main installer at the shop. He and I also discussed the positioning of the GPS aerial and microphone and agreed they should be above the dash and hidden near the rear vision mirror, respectively..

When I collected it, the installer said that he didn't have time to test everything and that there was still some components missing and that he couldn't get the steering wheel controls talking to the unit. I was left with some parts of the Unit which hadn't been installed. Specifically, the Wi fi dongle and the steering wheel control box.

Apart from this, I got the impression it was now just up to me to fine tune it. I also did some searching on the various sites on the internet and came to the impression that there were no more components missing at all. I couldn't get any GPS readings and I couldn't see where the GPS aerial was located. But I could see where the microphone was located - sticking out of the A pillar.

I couldn't see my phonebook, thought the interface on the WinCE side was dreadful, thought that the NAV box in WinCE should have launched a Sat-Nav program, noticed that a DVD came out of the slot hot enough to cook an egg, couldn't use the steering wheel buttons and couldn't get GPS reception.

By now I decided that it was better if someone else looked at it. So eventually, tail between my legs, I went to the other installer who fixed up their stuff ups.

When I was there watching him work on the Unit (for 1hr 15 mins) I learnt that:
  • The GPS was just stuffed behind the Unit under the dash.
  • The Wi-fi dongle wasn't inserted into the obvious cable at the back of the Unit.
  • The black steering wheel control box wasn't plugged in to the cable meant for it at the back of the Unit.
  • The upholstery at the top of the A pillar was damaged from what looks like a screwdriver being used to put in the microphone. It's this which really pissed me off. How amateurish was that!
Setup
I played around with the WinCE side of things first. Not much difference there. No, there wasn't a built in Sat Nav program.

Then I decided to play around with the Android side of the Unit and despite the terrible scrolling experiences I'm happy with it. I've got 250 hours of music on the 32GB SD card. I've changed the wallpaper to one of the live wallpapers which is part of the Unit.

I've deleted a lot of the existing shortcuts from the main window and I've downloaded a free BMW clock widget from the App store to my Samsung Galaxy and then copied the .apk file to the Unit. It's a bit elongated though, but who cares. You can scroll to the left to find a clean screen to put it on.
Another really good App to have, in my opinion is Tunein. Your phone can stream to the Unit and it's nice to know you can listen to radio stations anywhere in the world from your cocoon when you are stuck in traffic. You can also stream your phone's music to the Unit. I've yet to test playing .avi video files through Android.

I've got heaps ("lots" for those who can't speak strine) of stuff I can do now. Before I was restricted to the radio and playing CD's from the stacker.

The continuing issues are pretty minor.

The phonebook not uploading to the Unit. Once I saw all my contacts when I pressed the clock like icon, but not since. The steering wheel control to answer the phone doesn't work. But I don't make many calls and I only have to press an icon on the screen rather than the wheel to answer a call. I've deleted all my contacts on the phone apart from those which are actually stored on the phone as suggested my one of the contributors. Maybe it'll work in the future.

I'm not happy with the scrolling - it took me forever to choose the right time zone.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but one final question:

What sort of price might I get on Ebay for the old unit (assuming no bent brackets)? $100?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #533
slackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoms69 View Post
Okay need some help please. I just got the D99 today changing up from the D90. I'm doing the install but am having a problem with one piece. I can't figure out what it connects to. It seems like I'm missing a cable or something. I connected it to the harness for the D99 no problem but on the other end of the box is a connector but nothing on the radio or the car harness matches it.

Anyone know what it connects to other than the harness for the D99? It's the box circled in yellow.

Thanks.....
Hi Phantom,
From what I've seen, the USB connector on it connects to nothing - it's just used for input. See my contribution here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1#post14352541
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #534
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
So is the news D99 much better?

Is the D99 Dynavin a much better radio then the D90? I have a D90 in my wife's car and it is preety good. Some small glitchs, but bigest thing about it is the old looking menus. The D99 looks more modern....
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #535
slackjack

Hi dayusmc,
Sorry, I really can't say, I've never seen the D90 radio. It's pretty "cool" though.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/z...46%20D99/2.jpg

Cheers John
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #536
dayusmc

It looks like they updated the unit alot. Price went up, BUT the only way to devolpe something is to pay employees and that costs money....

My biggest concern is on the radio side. On my D90 Wince, the Nav works fine (Would like to find a better NAV program- mine does not say the street names). But the Radio side was a little lacking. I always said, if they get the radio side up to par this would easily be a $850 radio... So now that it is a $850 Radio, I am wondering if the Radio side is worth it. Most people are more concerned with the WinCE or Android side because they want apps and to fiddle with it. I want it for what it is- A Radio, so that is what they should be devolping. The only thing I care about on the Android/WinCE side is that the NAV works great.....

If the Radio side is indeed being devopled, then this is well worth the money. Besides wanting a good NAV, the reason most people spend money on an aftermarket radio is to get better sound and features...

So just not to confuse people with what I am saying... If the Radio side is much better (Sound, features, interface, iPod funtions, etc...) and they are still devolping it- It is well Worth $850!!! But if they are not, then the $500 Clone seem to be like the OLD Dynavins.

But one thing is for sure, if the Dynavin WinCE is getting better, I will buy it from Jeff only. If you look at all these treads, Jeff is the one providing support- So I think everyone should take that into consideration when they buy one of these. The only way he will be able to keep giving us great support is if he sells a lot of these things!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #537
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
The D99s use a bluetooth module from parrot, while they do have a built in and external mic they do not work at the same time, it is one or the other. In my experience the external mic is the way to go on the D95/D99 units but as with all bluetooth devices, where you put it is critical, and not all cars will be the same, experiment for best results.
Hopefully Jeff or someone can answer this Question... I have (my wife) a D90 WinCE Dynavin. Besides wanting a better radio side, My wifes BIGGEST grip is that the mic for bluetooth is horrible. I tried both the external and internal mics. Both are bad and she doesn't use the bluetooth at all.

Is the bluetooth on the D99 better? Meaning the mic and all... If it is good, I will have to buy it just for that reason alone, sadly that means I get her old D90 for my car Atleast until I have enough cash to buy another one...

So please let me know what you think.. Wife's B-Day is tommorrow, So would be a good gift... A happy wife is best if I want to keep spending money on all my expensive hobbies
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #538
ottonavigps
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
Hopefully Jeff or someone can answer this Question... I have (my wife) a D90 WinCE Dynavin. Besides wanting a better radio side, My wifes BIGGEST grip is that the mic for bluetooth is horrible. I tried both the external and internal mics. Both are bad and she doesn't use the bluetooth at all.

Is the bluetooth on the D99 better? Meaning the mic and all... If it is good, I will have to buy it just for that reason alone, sadly that means I get her old D90 for my car Atleast until I have enough cash to buy another one...

So please let me know what you think.. Wife's B-Day is tommorrow, So would be a good gift... A happy wife is best if I want to keep spending money on all my expensive hobbies

The D99 integrates PARROT BLUETOOTH. That is why there is such a price gap between the D90 and the D99.
ottonavigps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #539
ottonavigps
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
It looks like they updated the unit alot. Price went up, BUT the only way to devolpe something is to pay employees and that costs money....

My biggest concern is on the radio side. On my D90 Wince, the Nav works fine (Would like to find a better NAV program- mine does not say the street names). But the Radio side was a little lacking. I always said, if they get the radio side up to par this would easily be a $850 radio... So now that it is a $850 Radio, I am wondering if the Radio side is worth it. Most people are more concerned with the WinCE or Android side because they want apps and to fiddle with it. I want it for what it is- A Radio, so that is what they should be devolping. The only thing I care about on the Android/WinCE side is that the NAV works great.....

If the Radio side is indeed being devopled, then this is well worth the money. Besides wanting a good NAV, the reason most people spend money on an aftermarket radio is to get better sound and features...

So just not to confuse people with what I am saying... If the Radio side is much better (Sound, features, interface, iPod funtions, etc...) and they are still devolping it- It is well Worth $850!!! But if they are not, then the $500 Clone seem to be like the OLD Dynavins.

But one thing is for sure, if the Dynavin WinCE is getting better, I will buy it from Jeff only. If you look at all these treads, Jeff is the one providing support- So I think everyone should take that into consideration when they buy one of these. The only way he will be able to keep giving us great support is if he sells a lot of these things!!
We include maps that do speak the street name. Pretty much as mentioned before the biggest upgrade was the PARROT bluetooth. The D99 has a more futuristic platform while the D90 retains the old factory BMW theme. Its all preference to me, but the PARROT bluetooth is a big thumbs up.
ottonavigps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #540
dayusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottonavigps View Post
The D99 integrates PARROT BLUETOOTH. That is why there is such a price gap between the D90 and the D99.
Is that a lot better sound quality? Don't know to much about it, except that oon the D90 it is so bad it really isn't useable... I did notice on Dynavin's site it says "Supports High Sensitive External Microphone"

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99