E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #541
ottonavigps
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
Is that a lot better sound quality? Don't know to much about it, except that oon the D90 it is so bad it really isn't useable... I did notice on Dynavin's site it says "Supports High Sensitive External Microphone"
It is an external microphone. It is a lot better than D90. To be honest, I do not remember the bluetooth quality on the D90. I have not heard complaints of the bluetooth on D99. Maybe there is someone to correct me?
ottonavigps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #542
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayusmc View Post
It looks like they updated the unit alot. Price went up, BUT the only way to devolpe something is to pay employees and that costs money....

My biggest concern is on the radio side. On my D90 Wince, the Nav works fine (Would like to find a better NAV program- mine does not say the street names). But the Radio side was a little lacking. I always said, if they get the radio side up to par this would easily be a $850 radio... So now that it is a $850 Radio, I am wondering if the Radio side is worth it. Most people are more concerned with the WinCE or Android side because they want apps and to fiddle with it. I want it for what it is- A Radio, so that is what they should be devolping. The only thing I care about on the Android/WinCE side is that the NAV works great.....

If the Radio side is indeed being devopled, then this is well worth the money. Besides wanting a good NAV, the reason most people spend money on an aftermarket radio is to get better sound and features...

So just not to confuse people with what I am saying... If the Radio side is much better (Sound, features, interface, iPod funtions, etc...) and they are still devolping it- It is well Worth $850!!! But if they are not, then the $500 Clone seem to be like the OLD Dynavins.

But one thing is for sure, if the Dynavin WinCE is getting better, I will buy it from Jeff only. If you look at all these treads, Jeff is the one providing support- So I think everyone should take that into consideration when they buy one of these. The only way he will be able to keep giving us great support is if he sells a lot of these things!!
As already mentioned the price differential has more to do with the addition of the parrot bluetooth than anything else......but yes the radio is also better. The ipod interface is better (but not perfect) and the SD/USB is better (but also not perfect).

Yes I agree that the clones look a lot like the old dynavins, including their shortcomings.

I dont think I have heard any complaints about the new bluetooth system. Mic placement is still critical but the D99s seem to be a lot more forgiving. Ive got one in my own car and I use the bluetooth all the time and rarely get the dreaded "what!?"

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #543
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
Thanks Jeff, I ordered it from your website a few minutes ago. My wife gets the new one, and I get her old one But got to keep the wife happy and she really does need good bluetooth....

and someday I will get the new one too...

Thanks Again!!
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #544
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
I'm now almost 3 months in to my Dynavin ownership and frankly my complaints and few and far between. I could list about 10-20 things that suck about the unit but frankly once you get out of playing with it mode and start to just live with the system day to day these issues fade into the background and become irrelevent. The radio works fine, the ipod control is fine (Though the lack of charging when not in ipod mode is a pain and the fact it re-orders my playlists annoys me) and the Navigation side is simply fantastic. It blends into the dash, it looks OEM and frankly I have absolutely no regrets about the purchase at all.

I still need to mount the GPS aeriel properly as I'm fed up with it on the dash. I'd like to put it under the rear parcel shelf but the supplied antenna lead isn't long enough. Whats the best way to tackle this - an extension cable or a replacement antenna?
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 AM   #545
R75

My Ride: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
I still need to mount the GPS aeriel properly as I'm fed up with it on the dash. I'd like to put it under the rear parcel shelf but the supplied antenna lead isn't long enough. Whats the best way to tackle this - an extension cable or a replacement antenna?
How about putting it under the A or B-pillar padding. I have done that.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #546
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
I'd like to put it under the rear parcel shelf but the supplied antenna lead isn't long enough. Whats the best way to tackle this - an extension cable or a replacement antenna?

I think Ive seen both on ebay, amazon, etc....

Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #547
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Installed a D99 (android) unit on an e90 for a mate but DVD/USB side of things have gone B&W. They used to be the usual blue/yellow menus and even they have gone B&W. All other parts are ok with color including main menus, ipod, radio, phone interfaces.

Tried to set to NTSC/PAL/Auto in DVD menu still nothing changes.

Basically these screens are B&W and the Videos they play are too are in B&W

Anyone had this issue ?

Sorry, Jeff for asking in your thread. Obviously it was not bought from you as its in Australia.

Otherwise I think this is a pretty good looking unit. OBC, PDC etc works pretty well. I have a v4 in my e46 and still think thats the best version they made. If only they could integrate OBC into it.

Last edited by fgin; 05-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #548
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
Wondering if other people having the issue that the Radio Frequencies are changing a little bit. For example I tune in on 102.10 and after a while see it's changed to 102.40...

Kinda weird and it doesn't make the broadcasting any better.
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #549
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Installed a D99 (android) unit on an e90 for a mate but DVD/USB side of things have gone B&W. They used to be the usual blue/yellow menus and even they have gone B&W. All other parts are ok with color including main menus, ipod, radio, phone interfaces.

Sorry, Jeff for asking in your thread. Obviously it was not bought from you as its in Australia.
You need to check all the color settings, both the one in the radio settings and also in the DVD hardware (use the remote to get to this one)

If thats not, then I would think that a cable or set of wires carrying the color info from the DVD board are damaged,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchPlayer View Post
Wondering if other people having the issue that the Radio Frequencies are changing a little bit. For example I tune in on 102.10 and after a while see it's changed to 102.40...
turn of the "AF" function on the radio?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #550
fgin

My Ride: e46 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
You need to check all the color settings, both the one in the radio settings and also in the DVD hardware (use the remote to get to this one)

If thats not, then I would think that a cable or set of wires carrying the color info from the DVD board are damaged,
Thanks jeff
fgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #551
dayusmc

Installed the D99 in my wife's car- WAY BETTER THEN THE D90! There are still a few thing (on the redio side I would like changed) The bluetooth works a lot better also. I put the mic up in the factory location, but still have to play with it a little. I saw somewhere in one of the post that the guy switched the sunroof button and the mic around so that the mic was on the drivers side. I tried doing that but the openings were 2 different sizes. On thing that I tought was weird; The raio controls are red... You would think that they would make then orange to match the cars interior.. I am going to right a review of the unit soon. For people searching for info on these units, these treads are way to long to read.
My wife is way happier with this unit, and I think it is well worth the $850! Note, I did put iGO Primo 2.0 on it- she likes that NAV best.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #552
J&T Distributing

remember that this basic unit is used in mercedes, audi, VW, etc.... so the red on black radio interface is a compromise between all of those vehicles.....but also it just looks good. I dont think an orange interface would go over very well.....I got a lot of complaints about the color scheme of the D90's GUI but very little criticisms on the the D99.

In my personal car I used the OEM location but I used some weatherstripping foam to make a box to cover the back side of the mic so it would not pick up any noise from above the headliner/roof area. Not a requirement but I think it reduced noise a noticeable amount.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #553
dayusmc

I think you are right. I do get some wind noise. I was thinking of putting a piece of Dynomat above the mic to shield it from the road noise.
I personally like the home screen better on the d90 but my wife likes the d99 home screen better. Only thing she said was "they should take the nav button off the home screen because the is a hard buttom to press and they should have the sd card button on the first page" I think she is right.
It would be nice if the colors and buttons were selectible, but maybe in the future....
Very noce radio for sure

Kyle
Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #554
DutchPlayer

My Ride: Bmw e46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
turn of the "AF" function on the radio?
Thanks for the answer Jeff, turned it off and looks like it's working. Where does the AF and the TA stand for?

And does somebody knows if the start up screen with the Dynavin logo has the possibility to change it to a BMW logo?

Last edited by DutchPlayer; 05-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.
DutchPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #555
J&T Distributing

AF....automatic frequency, it autotunes a different channel if it looses reception....not very useful most of the time so leave it off.

TA....Traffic announcement?....same as above.

changing the logo is in the "hidden" factory settings menu, go to the radio settings page, select SYSTEM, then press the upper right of the screen.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #556
slackjack

My Ride: E46 325ci Convertibl
Hi folks,

I've been teaching tweaking the D99 for a few weeks now and generally, I'm very happy with it. Compared with the OEM unit which came with the car, I can now

Use the rear camera which I didn't have before. But strangely, I still mainly rely on the beep which I've always had. The camera just confirms how close I am to the car behind.
I can now see the name of the song etc playing (I find Poweramp better than Winamp for the Android side). Therefore the terrible interface on the WinCE side doesn't worry me.
I can now play 5000+ songs at random from my 32 Gb Samsung micro SD compared with 1000 from the 6 CD stacker before.
I love the way you can personalise the Android interface. Apps I find useful are Aussleloo (for finding public toilets - too much information?), Trapster, Poweramp, a wallpaper app of which there are many, a clock widget, MX player to play .avi video files, Linda File Manager, App2Card to move the Apps to the External card, Tunein and DoubanFM on my connected phone to listen to any music from anywhere in the world.
Despite some hiccups getting the phone to connect to the Unit on many occasions, it's still better than what I had.

But can anyone please help me re the following issues. I apologise if they've been answered before, but believe me, I really have been through most of the postings here, there are so many of them now though:

Using the steering wheel controls, I can fast track (go to the next music track) on the WinCE side, but not through the Android side. Volume up and down is fine on both. I see MattyD44 had the same issue, but is this normal?

The "answer phone" button on the steering wheel doesn't work. No big deal, its just as easy to press the icon on the Unit. But again, is this normal?

A few posts have referried to IGo working well. The only SatNav program apart from Google Navigation I have is Sygic which I put on the Android side myself. Should there be a SatNav program already installed (part of) the WinCE side of the Unit?

Is there a way of installing programs on to the WinCE side of the Unit?

On the Andoid side, the information bar at the top is only about 6 cm wide and not that easy to get to. I know you can pull it down, but is this normal?

The remote doesn't connect. I've changed the battery. Are there any tricks to this? Am I missing out on anything? I think I've found most settings through other means, or are there any purely specific to the remote?

Thanks in anticipation. John
slackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #557
kanebullen

My Ride: VW Golf Mk6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post

Using the steering wheel controls, I can fast track (go to the next music track) on the WinCE side, but not through the Android side. Volume up and down is fine on both. I see MattyD44 had the same issue, but is this normal?
No, the android side doesn't have a facility to interface with the car via the canbus interface, so that won't work. (volume up and down are controlling the whole unit, so they still work).

It would be possible to build a USB-CanBus device, but you'd then have to get software that would speak to it, and then control your other apps.

Quote:

The "answer phone" button on the steering wheel doesn't work. No big deal, its just as easy to press the icon on the Unit. But again, is this normal?
I'm pretty sure it works fine in mine (I only installed mine last week, so not 100% sure).. But I do have a VW, so things might be slightly different.

Quote:

A few posts have referried to IGo working well. The only SatNav program apart from Google Navigation I have is Sygic which I put on the Android side myself. Should there be a SatNav program already installed (part of) the WinCE side of the Unit?
To clear this confusion, this unit does not have a WinCE "side" - it has an Android "side" and an Audio "side".

Other non-android units have a WinCE side, and an audio side (so the Android side replaces the WinCE side on the d99)

And regarding iGo - apparently it's not supported on Android, so you won't be able to install it on the D99. Sygic seems to be the go.

Quote:

Is there a way of installing programs on to the WinCE side of the Unit?
As per above, there is no WinCE side - and the audio side does not allow any customisation at all.

Quote:

On the Andoid side, the information bar at the top is only about 6 cm wide and not that easy to get to. I know you can pull it down, but is this normal?
I wouldn't mind finding out about that as well - wonder if m3evolution can make that a part of his custom rom - an increased taskbar.. Can be quite fiddly to use.
kanebullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #558
al-djazair

My Ride: E46 E34 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanebullen View Post
And regarding iGo - apparently it's not supported on Android, so you won't be able to install it on the D99.
iGO is working on Android : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&highlight=igo
2 x '86 E30 323i sold for parts
al-djazair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #559
slackjack

My Ride: E46 325ci Convertibl
Thanks Kanebullen and Al-djazair.

Great help.
J
slackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #560
winchart

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
If only I had discovered these threads before I went ahead and bought a D99 from an Australian reseller. I have a 330Ci Convertible built in 2000. I had the business head unit with TV (and 6CD stacker and radio) in boot, but no satnav. I bought the 5m Fakra at purchase as well as the digital TV option. The install went very well until I went to hook up the Fakra socket to the plug in the boot. The Fakra socket has flat pins, the socket in the boot are round. Jeff? I have spent an hour reading through all the posts, you probably know the answer. Can I splice the wires directly so I don't have to do the whole install again with the correct Fakra. Will the steering wheel control remotely work? I'll send photo's if anyone interested. I am stupid for trusting that the dealer would send the right stuff, installing , THEN discovering the mismatch.
winchart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99