E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #81
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Ok so I managed to view your thread in the end. Odd, from some connections it says not authorised.

Great writeup, look forward to pictures of it in action. In your photo though it looks to stick out at the bottom? Did you fix this?
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #82
A_1986

My Ride: E46 330CD
Hi all! New here and can see a whole load of dynavin fans out here! Recently bought a dynavin d99 it's just come through the post today from china! Opened the box very excited to see the contents. Upon inspection I see the volume control is defected the plastic washer seems to be wedged in.. See picture.. Any ideas how to fix this? Or do I need to send it back? :-/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1326721731.439888.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	432598  
A_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #83
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Enjoying my D99 so far and I don't even have Navigation, iPod or Steering Wheel controls setup, should be done by end of the week though! I had an aftermarket HU so everything had/has to be rewired (everything was chopped). The screen is great and the controls

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #84
hybridNz

My Ride: e39 540iASE,e30/s50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
How are you finding the D99 in the E39? Nice fit etc?

We can't view your link without being members.
You should be able too ? I tried logging out and being an admin I checked the permissons. Theyre read only to guests.

Will post it here

Fit wise, it was a *****. I spoke with the retailer here who also installs them (I installed my own) .. He found its because the back fowls on the metal cross bar. you can reach in from the glove box area and lift the back of the unit over it and its fine ... you need to push really hard though.

EDIT:

my install post from bimmersport
____________________________________________________________ _________________________________

Well I shelled out the $$$ for a new D99 / E39 Android computer. I also purchased the DVB-T box.

Its going to take me a few hours ill try document the install a long the way including a half way decent video at the end, Im sick of looking at phone cam or low resolution / out of focus shakey noob cam video on youtube!

compulsery carpet shot

I hate it when this happens ...

I own a face lift car, but the amp wiring is pre-fl ... dam NZ dealers

Bit of surgery needed to fit the new loom. Easy enough.

getting it done..

.. all done

For anyone attempting this. The cage and dash install isnt as straight forward as first thought. Im glad I have another day tomorrow

Learning as I go.

Here is a link into the trim removal needed to get the cage in. So of this is a bit obsolete as its an another product, but give the general idea.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57

Was quite simple after I got going except for my bloody head unit space. For some reason it was tighter than a nun.

Anyways, here it is in pictorial form.

Pull the unit out like so

And remove these screws to get it off the frame.

Pull the bottom trim down and outwards. Its a bit of a ***** to do but it needs to be done to remove the stock 16:9 frame.

And out she comes with a bit of coaxing

So the instructions are pretty much useless at this point. If you fully construct the frame with the middle bridge piece, it just won't go in .. so put it in a 3rd at a time. This is the right hand side installed .. Install the left then bolt in the middle section.

Next remove all the trim down the left hand side of the car to lay the loom for rear amp connections. You only need this loom if you have had factory TV. If you just had the MID / controller then your connections are up front. Lucky you.

Out comes all the the old stuff.

A bunch of stuff thats probably going to be up for sale soon

Soooo one of the got yas, the looms came with a mistake ... The ibus control wiring is back to front for the RS485 connectivity. So the white and blue wires are reversed like so. This will allow proper MF steering control via the IBUS -> Dynavin micro controller box (see black box below)

ibus 'blackbox' that allows dynavin to talk IBUS protocol and read the OBC stuff. Although I dont think it askes the 'right' questions to the car personally as battery voltage doesnt work on the dynavin OBC

So this is where things got really hard .. this thing is NunSpec

The dynavin display on my car didnt quite fit as you can see. So I got inventive with the wifes chopping boards and a can of dryglide.

Dryglide ftw.

In it finally went

Trim back together and every looked zen again.

I tidied up all of the stuff in the rear properly.

Also as a side note, I taped up some of the plugs (usb / arial etc) as cars are a high vibration environment, saves fault finding later

Ill do the video up tomorrow. But everything on this thing kicks ass! .. I need to go get a nice 32GB micro SD card to store maps and other larger apps on.

The first impressions of the DVB-T / TV unit is great ... digital TV rules.

Last edited by hybridNz; 01-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
hybridNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #85
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
Did u ever manage to get your unit in flush? Mine still sits awkwardly on the bottom. It bows out a bit. It's much bigger then the old v5 so I had to adjust the entire dash quite a bit.
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #86
hybridNz

I haven't tried to pull mine apart again yet to re seat it ... ill do it when I can be assed .. its fine at the moment for me.

hmmmm your not the first to say theyre having issue with fitment .. but im told that checking the cables at the back and allowing the rear to clear the metal cross bar by reaching in from the glove box to guide it helps a lot... be prepared to tear skin with this install. Im still recovering!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #87
MaximumWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridNz View Post
Trim back together and every looked zen again.
All looking good except this bit! Is that how it sits? With it sticking out at the bottom, or have you since managed to get around that?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #88
hybridNz

Does anyone else only get mono when trying to play music / media in android ?

Ive tried youtube and the default media player !???
Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #89
MaximumWalrus

I'm a bit nervous about getting this now. I've been waiting for so long but yours is the first fitted E39 picture I've seen and it appears to simply not fit. Surely its not too much to ask that a $1000 USD unit at least sits in the dash its designed for... flush?

It's that big gap at the bottom I'm worried about. Is it just caught on something behind the dash or does it simply not go in further? The D95's seemed to fit ok and I didnt think they'd changed the physical unit just the internals for D99?

Last edited by MaximumWalrus; 01-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #90
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
They are identical physically to the the D95s, its not pushed all the way back in those pics, something may be behind it. I see in the earlier pic that the bracket is correctly installed, as shown it should mount from the BACK of dash plastic.

By the way guys, I dont mind you E39 guys posting about dynavin stuff but please remember this is an E46 forum so lets try to keep the E39 specific talk on an E39 forum to avoid confusion..... There is a dynavin E39 thread on bimmerforums.

I guarantee ill be answering questions now from confused E46 guys about the dash bracket that has nothing to do with them.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #91
MaximumWalrus

The Dynavin E39 thread on bimmerforums is dead, thats why I moved over here, especially seeing as actual fit is probably the only E39 specific thing anyway
Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #92
hybridNz

I use to have an e46 .. does that count ?

RE: the gap / not flush in the e39. It will fit, you just have to try really hard to clear the space in the back of the unit and lift the rear unit over this cross bar thing. Enough e39 content. If anyone has any questions on e39 install / fitment .. PM me.. im happy to take some more photos etc.

Anyways, the mono audio in android is a bit of a worry for me. I dont mind using the other music players in the mediatek os/system but the whole reason I got this thing is for Android.

Can anyone else confirm ? or do I have something messed up going on?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #93
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

ANyone find a longer ipod cord that works and know where I can buy it?

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #94
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridNz View Post

Anyways, the mono audio in android is a bit of a worry for me. I dont mind using the other music players in the mediatek os/system but the whole reason I got this thing is for Android.

Can anyone else confirm ? or do I have something messed up going on?
it should be in stereo.....definitely not mono, something is screwed up somewhere.... Play around with the navi sound setting in the radio menu.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #95
hybridNz

Thanks Jeff .. will give it a try in a few hours.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #96
hybridNz

Ok sorted .. as per your instructions ... with the 'Navi sound' turned on .. the pass through from android is a very average low khz mono.. with it turned off all of my sound issues in the Android system went away. Incuding some pretty loud pops and clicks.

Some other things I have been doing which may be of use to people.

The 'nav' micro SD card is where the Android file system is. The second micro SD card slot is for the other system only.. you cant read it in android. So
I had to clone my 2gb card to my new 32gb card and then expand the partition. You need to use a low level copy tool to clone the SD card such as Free software HDD Raw Copy Tool
http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

You can then clone your 2GB card to a file

Then insert your bigger card and run the HDD Raw Copy tool and instead clone the source from the file you have just made and target your new larger micro SD card.

Next you have to expand the partition size from 2GB to what ever the size of your new card is.

I used more free software
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v7.0
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

You can simply click on the 2GB partion then click Move/resize partition and scale it to what you want and click ok then apply!

I would suggest either shutting your machine down to let the buffer wriite to avoid bad sectors. (I did this on my first attempt just removing the card)

Now go test in the 'Nav' SD Card slot in your Dynavin! happy days.

After you have installed all of your favourite apps / music etc.. I find it useful to take an image with HDD Raw Copy Tool for safe keeping. EG incase of lost card or damage etc.

Last edited by hybridNz; 01-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.
hybridNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #97
mistapony

My Ride: volvo v70r
Guys I have a few questions before I start my install. I have the d99 universal but I think my questions will still apply.

1. Do I have to use the external mic or does the unit have an internal one that works?
2. There are two USB connections, one says GPS the other media or something, does it matter which one is which for use with the wifi adapter?
3. The wiring harness looks like its one for a VW jetta or something, I take it I have to cut it and splice to my car?

Thanks.
mistapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #98
swany001

My Ride: 330CI E46
Getting back to the original post about the OBC and steering controls not working , Just had my android fitted and have the same problems plus none of the switches controls on the head unit light up, just had the installers back and they say it could be the Can interface witch has 8 pins and the farka cable has a 4 pin plug. I guess one of these is wrong .
Just sent the supplier a nasty email, Just wondering if Jeff has fixed the problem. Really over this head unit so far.
Any help would be appreciated.
swany001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #99
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany001 View Post
Getting back to the original post about the OBC and steering controls not working , Just had my android fitted and have the same problems plus none of the switches controls on the head unit light up, just had the installers back and they say it could be the Can interface witch has 8 pins and the farka cable has a 4 pin plug. I guess one of these is wrong .
Just sent the supplier a nasty email, Just wondering if Jeff has fixed the problem. Really over this head unit so far.
Did they switch the blue and white cables, if you have read everything you would know this needs to be done on every unit not coming from Jeff to fix steering wheel controls.

On another side, if no one knows of a longer iPod cable, is there an adaptor to go from this male end to the Dynavin iPod IN???

Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #100
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swany001 View Post
Your dealer sent you the wrong fakra cable, you got one for a D95, that's why the plugs don't match. The illumination on installs using the fakra has been covered elswhere. The orange wire needs to be sliced to a lighting circuit in some cases as the trunk plug doesn't have a lighting pin in the plug.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Tags
d90, d95, d98, d99, d99 navigation system, dynavin, dynavin android, dynavin d99