E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
goblinsplace

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Solve this case! Retrofit Halogen Question - Riddle me this...

Hi there.

I am having a heck of a time trying to find a definitive answer to this question: (ill try to be specific)

DO e46 Facelift sedans Halogen Headlights have leveling? (what is the 3rd plug for on them then? see pic)

Do all 2004 ZHPS come prewired for Leveling? Do they also have the motors and level sensors? Why do 2004 ZHPs that came with halogens have a 3rd little wire that i believe is for leveling? (is it possible its not connected to anything?) Or does that third wire mean my car had HIDs?

**background: I have a ZHP. Previous owner put in DEPOS. No idea if it had Halogens or stock Xenons before. Assuming it came with halogens assumes the previous owner had a brain. I am going to do a fxr retrofit, and found some stock facelift sedan lights that i can retrofit in to make my life easier. (less downtime of the car) I don't want to loose leveling if my car has the ability. Trying to decide if i should retrofit the Depos or the Stock halogens. I saw the Depos level one time when my ballasts were hot and i turned the car on. They diped and raised. people say Depos dont level, but im not so sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	what is that.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	481999  
goblinsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Yes that's for the leveling motor.

US cars dont have them stock but ALL euro cars have leveling on their headlight, whether they are sedan.coupe or whatever year they are.
The leveling here is manual in early cars(there's a dial on the LCM that you use) , but you can retrofit autoleveling if you want(there's a thread about it here somewhere)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
goblinsplace

Ok, SweTurbo, Your saying that the lights in the picture DO have auto leveling motors?
to pick your brain further -

If my car has the wire that fits that plug then is my car just Prewired for leveling? Or does it also mean it has the level sensors and everything to just work?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
goblinsplace

Can any one tell from the picture what brand those are? Comon pros - lets see who knows their stuff! (clue - the sticker colors )
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
goblinsplace

This just in - Umnitza just told me that P46 Premiums DO support leveling - and work with the cars level sensors.

More clues
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Be careful as not all HID systems are the same.

There is a HID with Halogen high beam.

There is a Bi-Xenon with what appears to be a Halogen beam, however, it is just for flash to pass and DRL.

There is an Active Bi-Xenon with what appears to be a Halogen beam, however, it is just for flash to pass and DRL, typically only used on the coups. These actually turn with the steering. I assume these have additional stepper motors and connectors, I have not looked at these closely.

Most all OEM HID systems have auto leveling motors and suspension position sensors.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
goblinsplace

thanks for the the reply JFOJ
My biggest question is weather the car supports leveling IF it has the wire for it, or of it all of them are prewired for them anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
There should be 2 suspension height level sensors on the passenger front & rear if the car originally had HID.

I do not think the cars were prewired, HID were a rather expensive option due to all the bits and pieces, the Active Bi-Xenon were $800 on my 2006 E46 Vert, but I recall seeing HID on some cars in the $2k range??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinsplace View Post
This just in - Umnitza just told me that P46 Premiums DO support leveling - and work with the cars level sensors.

More clues
They are full of ****. Bought a $1400 pair of lights from them with FX-Rs, HIDs, AEs, LEDs, loaded. Still got a fault code and they didn't do anything about it. Those lights do not auto level, they are implying that they "support" leveling, so they won't throw a code.

BUT, straight from the site.
"It also guarantees (90% of the cases) that no error will be experienced by the computer or any flickering without any exterior wiring harnesses or resistors."

How in the **** do you guarantee something for only 90% of the time. Bunch of morons.

Last edited by Jesse M; 12-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
They are full of ****. Bought a $1400 pair of lights from them with FX-Rs, HIDs, AEs, LEDs, loaded. Still got a fault code and they didn't do anything about it. Those lights do not auto level, they are implying that they "support" leveling, so they won't throw a code.

"It also guarantees (90% of the cases) that no error will be experienced by the computer or any flickering without any exterior wiring harnesses or resistors."

How in the **** do you guarantee something for only 90% of the time. Bunch of morons.
60% of the time says it works every time.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Remember the whole point of dynamic auto leveling is due to the increased output of HID lights. Your halogen lights shine in an oncoming car's face: ow. Your HID lights shine into an oncoming car's face: $***^$*!! So the system was designed to keep the lights actively leveled as load changes.

It's for safety.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
MANGO TOP TIP:

Try this at home! Next time you have your E46 w/ factory auto-leveling xenon parked facing a wall at night, open the trunk and push down on the back of the car with the lights facing the wall. You will see the beam compensate and lower as you push down on the back of the car. When you release the weight off the back of the car, the headlights will tick back up! All this takes place seamlessly as you drive!

Hooray for factory-equipped XENON!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post

Actually, we're none of the things you are frustrated about.
Your lights were facelifted coupe lights and they DO have auto-leveling.
Maybe your sensor on the suspension was bad, maybe you installed them incorrectly, or any of a number of other things.

Our headlights DO support auto-leveling, they are only on the Premium units that are for the 2002-5 Sedan, 2002-2003 Coupe, 2002-2006 M3, and similar year Convertible and Wagons respectively.

You do have to ask for it though as some of the headlights we offer - to save money for some customers - don't necessarily come with that auto-level motor.