E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
330ci-vert

My Ride: 330ciC
I just changed out my ABS DSC Control Module and...

I had to yank the drug panel and the master cylinder which is now in need of bleeding. Anyone got tips on that?
The computer is now throwing two codes I've never seen before and neither can be cleared. I've been diagnosing it/trying to clear it with Carsoft. Before I was constantly getting 5DF5 - Internal Fault that is why I replaced the module.
Well that is gone and now. I no longer have the red brake light yellow DSC and red ABS. Now I only have the DSC and a Yellow brake light and these two new codes that I've never seen before. Will reprogramming clear both of these?

5E1F - LWS calibration VIN not initialized
and
5E30 - Transverse acceleration sensor electrical failure

I've not seen much on the 5E30 - Transverse acceleration sensor electrical failure so anything will help.

Thanks
330ci-vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Sounds like you purchased a used module... so the vin is wrong and does not match your vehicle.

Or the module is new and needs programmed and intialized...

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
330ci-vert

Yes I did! I bought a used. My question is when I go to the stealership to have it programmed will that clear the faults?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Maybe faults from donor car?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Stealerships usually don't reprogram used modules. Policy.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
330ci-vert

160 bucks and they are going to... It drives me nuts because I know it will only take 30 minutes max and is minimal work, set it and do something else.
If it were a fault from donor car wouldn't it have cleared when I cleared the faults with carsoft?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Agreed with Nervous, I don't know if they will. And even if they do I'm not sure you can re write a VIN with OEM software.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
draja

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci-vert View Post
I had to yank the drug panel and the master cylinder which is now in need of bleeding. Anyone got tips on that?
The computer is now throwing two codes I've never seen before and neither can be cleared. I've been diagnosing it/trying to clear it with Carsoft. Before I was constantly getting 5DF5 - Internal Fault that is why I replaced the module.
Well that is gone and now. I no longer have the red brake light yellow DSC and red ABS. Now I only have the DSC and a Yellow brake light and these two new codes that I've never seen before. Will reprogramming clear both of these?

5E1F - LWS calibration VIN not initialized
and
5E30 - Transverse acceleration sensor electrical failure

I've not seen much on the 5E30 - Transverse acceleration sensor electrical failure so anything will help.

Thanks
You should not have to reprogram the unit...only if it is new.

When I replaced mine I had to recalibrate the steering angle sensor--which is the other fault code you have I believe.

You need the software...either the Autoengenuity w/BMW package will do it, or the other pirated factory software. Though the AE w/BMW will not reprogram modules...I use PASoft for that. Good luck...

D
draja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
330ci-vert

Well folks just to close the loop... The money pit (Name for my car) would not accept the codes for the brake controller. I talked to the shop foreman, was allowed to go into the shop watch him attempt to program it. He was a down to earth guy that just worked for a coorupt stealership. Bottom line after attempting two DSC/ABS modules that I put on the car, the only one that would take a code and not give me the trifecta lights was a new one from BMW Because this guy saw I knew exactly what was going on he charged me for the two hours he spent trying to reprogram it, the time it would take him to re bleed the brakes, and for the part which for the vert was 1159 so my total was a little over 1500. He didn't even charge me for the brake fluid and he ran more than a lieter through it because the stuff in there had 30,000 miles on it and he said why not.
I appoligize to my fellow DIY'ers I feel I let you down, letting the stealership do this work. If it means anything I'm changing my transmission thermostat next weekend and will continue to do my own services. Just real frustrating working with the computer items. Thanks again for your support. I do love the smiley faces!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
so you cant recode a used module for a 2002? Ive been working on this for a while and have the 5df5. I know the module needs to be replaced...now im just trying to figure out how to replace it without having to buy a new one....if this is the case then a used on that was good on a wrecked car is pretty much useless.

This is the first time ive read it cant be recoded....but when people talk about it they dont get this specific with it in other forums or posts. Ive seen where a dealer cant do it but ncs expert can?

I cant believe its this difficult to put on used or new parts on a car...but i guess.

UPDATE.......you can recode a used module

Last edited by glhx; 08-17-2014 at 09:57 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
330ci-vert

I think you can. I would do it different and spend a great deal of time ensuring I recieved a module off of a car that was newer than my own and that was not throwing a fault when it was recieved.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
dwoodland

My Ride: 2002 325CI
I just got done replacing the DSC MK60 in my 2002 325CI successfully with a used one off ebay, here's what you need to do :

1. Plug in the new MK60
2. Code it to your ZCS/FA ( VIN + vehicle order ) using NCS Expert
3. Use INPA 4.4.7 E46 - Chassis - DSC MK60 - Adjustments - Initialize Steering Angle ( hold down shift to launch )
4. Crack open a cold one because you didn't have to buy a new MK60 for $1100

Last edited by dwoodland; 10-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
dwoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
glhx

with pa soft .....this is what im looking at.....the abs module shows that it does everything but recoding...which is for some reason ....shadowed out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5df5 internal failure.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	472179   Click image for larger version

Name:	abs coding screen.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	472180   Click image for larger version

Name:	top of abs coding screen.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	472181  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
glhx

this is what happens when i read and write the coding data that is there.....it reads it....saves it. I then write it and nothing changes

UPDATE.....PASOFT would not recode it. Ncs expert did
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	saving the read coding.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	472184   Click image for larger version

Name:	saved read coding.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	472185   Click image for larger version

Name:	write coding data...written.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	472186  

Last edited by glhx; 08-17-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
glhx

this is what i see when i hit the read memory button
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	read memory screen.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	472194  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
glhx

and this is a different screen. It is somehow used to reprogram modules...i see nothing about the abs module though.

it has write adfg and write fgstnr.

I see these in the abs module screen at the top and they are assigned numbers or a code....but i dont know what any of this is or what it does. IT night have something to do with recoding a used abs module.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	used module reprogramming.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	472195   Click image for larger version

Name:	write adfg.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	472196   Click image for larger version

Name:	write fgstnr.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	472197  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
dwoodland

hope that 5DF5 error is with your old module since that code basically means your module is toast...

I have PASoft also and although the tool is easy to use, I wasn't able to get it to recode my MK60. I recommend getting a K+DCAN ODB II cable, the one I bought is on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055BD4SO/...T1_ST1_3p_dp_1 . If you get that cable you'll need to take it apart and solder pins 7 & 8 together ( E46 use pin 7 for DME and pin 8 for the rest of the modules ).

Then you'll need to install Ediabas, INPA 4.4.7, and NcsExpert. They should all come as one software package. INPA 5.0.2 doesn't have the job for initializing steering angle so make sure u get the older one.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
glhx

if anyone can figure this out.....you are seeing exactly what i see. Pa soft is easy to obtain and does many things. Recoding the abs it might do and it might not.....Looking at it.....it looks like no because it is shadowed out. I would really like to recode a used module instead of buying a new one.

also.....the only lights that work are the abs light and it is not red...it is orange...the other 2 lights are burned out
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
glhx

Thank you for the info....and yes the module is toast. I will pick up that cable.......on another note......where can i get all 3 of those in one software package. and are they plug and play install. I have seen threads on installing these separately and with multiple threads telling you bits and pieces of different information. The digging through process is daunting and confusing. Do you know of a clear set of instructions for getting theses 3?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
dwoodland

INPA 4.4.7 & 5.0.1
password : bimmerforums
http://www.4shared.com/dir/LfFoCBq2/...s_Machine.html

NCS Expert instructions
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1800496

To recode your new module u just need to pull the ZCS/FA from either AKMB or ALSZ and then select MK60 module and run the SG_CODIEREN ( read the full instructions above twice to make sure you know whats going on ).

Tags
abs dsc, dsc and brake lights