E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Suryateja

My Ride: 325 CI
Kidney grill and front hood damaged

Ok, so this is super frustrating. I went to the gym in the morning and when I came out, my kidney grills were on the floor and my front hood was slightly bent here and there. I dunno who backed up into me.

Now, I tried getting the kidney grills installed back, but it won't as the metal tabs inside have bent.

Could you guys look at the pictures and tell me how to get it fixed? Worst case scenario would I need a new hood?? I hope not..

Suryateja is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
^ If I remember correctly it's double-walled at the kidney area, so it may not be an easy punch-it-from-the back procedure.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
Suryateja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
^ If I remember correctly it's double-walled at the kidney area, so it may not be an easy punch-it-from-the back procedure.

So a body shop?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryateja View Post
So a body shop?
Body shop. Since the hood is just a few bolts see if you can get one in good condition from a local yard.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
I had similar damage to my hood when a family member backed into my car. That area is very difficult for a body shop to repair properly. The body shop I went to tried to repair mine 3 times before I gave up bought a new hood and paid out of pocket for it. My hood had a noticeable crease in it. Needless to say my insurance company eventually sided with me and reimbursed me the money I spent as well as sued the body shop for the money they paid me. Kind of off the subject lol. Basically if theres a crease in the hood anywhere you need a new hood and a body shop will not be able to fix it. My damage happened seven years ago so unfortunately finding a used hood for a face-lift coupe was near impossible. At this point there are plenty of pre face-lift hoods around so finding one shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Travis424; 03-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Travis424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
Suryateja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis424 View Post
I had similar damage to my hood when a family member backed into my car. That area is very difficult for a body shop to repair properly. The body shop I went to tried to repair mine 3 times before I gave up bought a new hood and paid out of pocket for it. My hood had a noticeable crease in it. Needless to say my insurance company eventually sided with me and reimbursed me the money I spent as well as sued the body shop for the money they paid me. Kind of off the subject lol. Basically if theres a crease in the hood anywhere you need a new hood and a body shop will not be able to fix it. My damage happened seven years ago so unfortunately finding a used hood for a face-lift coupe was near impossible. At this point there are plenty of pre face-lift hoods around so finding one shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks for the info. I live in richmond virginia. Im not sure if i can find the pre face lift with the orient blue color. Im keeping my fingers crossed. Hope ill get one. Ill go look for one this weekend.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
Should be plenty of hoods around but yeah finding the right color good luck. I will say however that up here in Connecticut I do see a lot of orient blue e46's driving around. Seems to be a pretty common color so you might get lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 03-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
I fashioned some hooks out of a coat hanger to keep mine in place. Worked like a charm and you could not see the hooks at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	651183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	651184  
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
Suryateja

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
I fashioned some hooks out of a coat hanger to keep mine in place. Worked like a charm and you could not see the hooks at all.
Thats nice... but my tabs are bent and out of place, not sure if this will work for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Robbski

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Check out car-parts.com. You can search by parts, location etc. When the results come up many of the yards list the color (some even show the color code) along with condition of the part and other comments. I've managed to get matching color doors, trunk lids and bumper covers this way.
Robbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryateja View Post
Thats nice... but my tabs are bent and out of place, not sure if this will work for me.
Both of my Grills were loose, one would almost completely fall out at any given time. They were both in good cosmetic condition and replacing them was an option I wanted to avoid. Both had separation issues (the grills are actually two pieces). After trying several methods to hold them firmly in place and failing, I just decided to replace them. Between ordering replacements and them arriving, I hit upon the coat hanger hook idea. Of course, the holes in the underside of the hood were paramount in this working. Also, a thief would not be able to steal them without opening the hood.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis424 View Post
I had similar damage to my hood when a family member backed into my car. That area is very difficult for a body shop to repair properly...My hood had a noticeable crease in it.
Basically if theres a crease in the hood anywhere you need a new hood and a body shop will not be able to fix it. At this point there are plenty of pre face-lift hoods around so finding one shouldn't be an issue.
^ agreed. had same thing years ago.
you'll need to find a replacement hood to either:
get painted and match your car
or
find one in the same color

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
VerrKol

My Ride: '01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
Both of my Grills were loose, one would almost completely fall out at any given time. They were both in good cosmetic condition and replacing them was an option I wanted to avoid. Both had separation issues (the grills are actually two pieces). After trying several methods to hold them firmly in place and failing, I just decided to replace them. Between ordering replacements and them arriving, I hit upon the coat hanger hook idea. Of course, the holes in the underside of the hood were paramount in this working. Also, a thief would not be able to steal them without opening the hood.
I had one fall out on the way to work one day. I zip tied it in place while I waited for a new one to show up. If the fall hadn't damaged the chrome, I probably would have just left it zip tied since you couldn't see a thing.
VerrKol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
SiVaE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
A hood at the junk yard is about $75 here . If you go to row52.com you can subscribe to email list that tells you when a new car comes in within certain radius of your location ... might take a while however to get one in the right color .....
SiVaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote