E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Fatstink

My Ride: 2000 323i
Trying to boost MPG 2000 323i

I have been doing some research on swapping out my 5 speed for a 330i 6-speed (don't question, just accept this) my transmission and driveshaft don't have much life left on them and since I am moving to a 6-speed and swapping the differential (moving from a 3.07 to a 2.93 ratio) for fuel economy I was thinking "What else can I add to increase my MPG?" The answers I have found (aside from changing my driving style) was to add a cold air intake (I have decided a K&N, not sure which model yet any suggestions welcome ) and I have been doing some research on Hydrogen cells...

-http://mileageshop.com/mileage-saver-complete-kit

Can anybody tell me why I would not want to add this my my car? It seems to be proven and with the combination of swapping my drivetrain and adding a cold air intake this seems like a logical step .

Are there any other alternatives I should be looking for or is there anything I should be aware of before going ahead with this hydrogen kit?

Please only legitimate data, if anyone has installed this let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance to all responses
Fatstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Mileage Saver Complete Kit New "Patent Pending Design! I know I WON'T be doing this anytime soon.

A CAI will do next to nothing.
Just stick to the basics: Proper tire pressure, routine maintenance, etc. It has all been covered in other threads.

Btw I must say I have never heard of someone swapping their diff TO a 2.93 ratio. Seriously your car will feel even slower than before. Is that really worth the minimal fuel savings? Keep your differential, that's 4 tanks of gas right there.

Last edited by Bostonbeast; 01-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
this is really interesting. is it new? i'm not sure i understand how that's even possible or real and i havent heard of it.
in for reviews.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
best way to improve mileage -> change driving habits or buy more efficient car. dont waste money on these gimicks. Hydrogen cell seriusly? i had a good laugh at the website tho thanks, I had a tough day needed that...

e46 328Ci 9psi SC

Last edited by Vic328CSi; 01-08-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Sanchjer

My Ride: 323i e46 SOLD!
Buy a Prius /thread

Edit: No wait...a Nissan Leaf...
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
brontosaurus

My Ride: 2002 330i 5mt
Just in case you were still considering a hydrogen generator, you're using more energy than what you get out of it, simple thermodynamics.
brontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
you will save more money on keeping the five speed rather than getting the six speed. I'm pretty sure I haven't made up the difference in costs yet from doing my transmission swap (from 5sp to 6sp). And how do you know there's not a lot of life left in your transmission?

The driveshaft isn't a wear and tear item, either. Realistically, the driveshaft will outlast the car.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
its going to take you decades in "better" gas mileage to pay for the thousands of dollars this is going to cost you now. as everyone else said, keep your tires aligned and good pressure, change your driving habits if necessary, keep nothing in the car (reduce any added weight)

if you are doing more than that, you are wasting your time, and money
Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Fatstink

NOVA, the sychro in the 1st and 2nd gear are almost shot, and not the drive shaft is not "bad" it probably just needs new couplers but since I plan on moving to a 6 speed I have to replace the driveshaft anyway.
I am fully aware of the consequences of changing my differential down to a 2.93 but I don't live in a city and don't need acceleration. I drive a minimum of 100 miles round trip each day, 90 of it on the highway, plus who doesn't want a 6-speed? I found a differential for under 200 dollars for this so fairly cheap considering I will already be tearing out from the flywheel to the differntial.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

remove the interior, bolt on panels, glass, keep gas tank at 1/4 or below. Remove a/c compressor, condenser, and plumbing. Remove exhaust. Instant MPG boost.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstink View Post
NOVA, the sychro in the 1st and 2nd gear are almost shot, and not the drive shaft is not "bad" it probably just needs new couplers but since I plan on moving to a 6 speed I have to replace the driveshaft anyway.
I am fully aware of the consequences of changing my differential down to a 2.93 but I don't live in a city and don't need acceleration. I drive a minimum of 100 miles round trip each day, 90 of it on the highway, plus who doesn't want a 6-speed? I found a differential for under 200 dollars for this so fairly cheap considering I will already be tearing out from the flywheel to the differntial.
Good luck with the swap. Looks like you have it figured out. Let us know how long it takes to recoup the additional expense in fuel savings.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
you will definitely save on gas with the 6 speed. It makes a bit of a difference. Go for it! I'd totally do this, as the 323i is a really comfortable cruiser plus with the 5spd it already gets about 32-34mg+ so you with the 6 speed and dif you should be pretty close to the 40's
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
I thought lower diff ratio was worse on fuel Econ but more speed ? Plz answer wich way is it
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
JJR4884

Quote:
ahhh so you need to get a new tranny anyways... in all honesty, the 2.93 might be a tad too tall of gears to do you any good. you have less power than a 330, so you might very well end up losing a little MPG since the 2.93 takes more force to spin. never know dude... 3.07 might just be perfect for your car
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
I thought lower diff ratio was worse on fuel Econ but more speed ? Plz answer wich way is it
technically yes, but the higher gear ratios will give you worse mileage as well going into higher speeds...

lower gear ratios are better for cruising, higher gear ratios are better for accelerating
Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Fatstink

I suppose I didn't think of the fact that the 2.93 will take more force but I am thinking that this will only effect me starting out, once I am cruising it should drop my rpms. There is a power jump from the 323i to the 330i, about 80HP. Will this make a huge difference? As I mentioned before, very little intown driving, 90% on the highway
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
JJR4884

Quote:
I suppose I didn't think of the fact that the 2.93 will take more force but I am thinking that this will only effect me starting out, once I am cruising it should drop my rpms. There is a power jump from the 323i to the 330i, about 80HP. Will this make a huge difference? As I mentioned before, very little intown driving, 90% on the highway
do some research and see if cruising at 60-70 at the lower RPMs will actually help... lets not forget you are also adding 6th gear... your RPMs might be too low for your own good... check your powerband through your revs

i would suggest keeping the 3.07, 6th gear will help you enough
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Fatstink

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by seeing if cruising at lower RPM's will help, I have looked at the bokchoys.com website quite a bit using their gear ratio calculator, pretty close for what I can tell. At 60 mph with my 5 speed and 3.07 I run about 2500 RPM's, bokchoys says the the 6 speed with the 2.93 will bring me under 2000 RPMs, so definitely will help. i would also like to mention that the 6th gear in the 330i's goes to a .85 compared to my 5th gear with is at a 1 so it is a true overdrive compared to what I have. I don't see how the overdrive would hurt my economy?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Jim Clark

My Ride: 2001 330Cic
Have you researched prices for a rebuild (or even a partial rebuild) for your tranny? You'll never get a payback on the 6-speed and differential. Sounds like a real waste of money.

Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I get 34.5 mpg at 71 mph in fifth, in cruise, with my 328i...2.93 diff.

Also, I love my diff ratio. Although I don't care about having a higher top speed, I love getting up to 39 in first gear...though I usually stop at 35 anyway! 2nd goes up to 69 so every time I leave a NJ toll booth, rolling in 2nd, I'm smiling when I get to the speed limit practically quicker than anyone around (odds always still favor my old clunker, but I know if a Ferrari was around, it'd probably be a tad quicker).

It is a lot of time and money, so if you're seeing this as an adventure and not a 'good idea' all the power to you! GL

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, fuel economy, gas, gas mileage, mgp