E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Frampey

My Ride: BMW 318ci
Angry 318Ci N42 Stalling Mid Motion

Hi all,

My 2002 318ci N42 (90K) has started stalling whilst i am driving. The red battery light flashes up for a split second and then power is resumed as throttle is still open and in gear. This can occur at any time or speed however tends to be more common when cruising at approximatley 60mph, 2750 rpm ish. Sometimes the EL will illuminate as well as the ABS and Traction; i have to restart to clear these.

I have replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor so far and am considering changing the intake, just weary that chances of them both failing is very low. I haven't reset the code error yet, will this cause a problem?

I have seen faut code P0011 'Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced', would the replacement of the camshaft sensors cure this, or am i needing to replace something else.

As a side note my car has been a proper pain in the a*se recently with numerous problems. It may be unrelated but i am burning a large amount of oil (350mile / litre) and I have a fairly minor leak on the oil filter housing. I have replaced breather valve, hose, vacuum pump, crank case gasket. I will be getting rid sometime next year but i would like to know if the oil problem could at all be related to the stalling??

Essay over, cheers guys.
Frampey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Frampey

My Ride: BMW 318ci
Update:
I have now replaced the intake camshaft sensor but still no enjoy. Not OEM sensors btw, the way the car is going I wont be holding onto it for much longer so just wanted to get it running!

I still sporadically get a combination of P0011/P0015/P0335/P0341. So either the camshafts are over retarded or advanced right? What do i need to do to fix this problem????thanks.
Frampey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
KP46

My Ride: 318i Touring
Any update Frampey?

I have the same issue re: oil -I'm using 1 Litre every 400 miles. - Changed breather and all 3 hoses. I also have the rocker cover gasket to replace.. I am also seeing a minor leak on the oil filter housing.
Last Saturday the car stalled and the diags showed up faulty camshaft sensor - (Exhaust) - noticed there was quite a bit if oil over the sensor - cleaned this up and reset the diag codes.So far the car has not stalled again.

I have a slight burning rubber smell occasionaly.
89K miles.
did you ever get to the bottom of the oil? and the stalling?

cheers
KP46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Check the positive terminal connection in the engine bay, positive/negative terminals on battery and chassis and alternator connection
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
zbi701

My Ride: E46 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampey View Post
.....I have seen faut code P0011 'Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced', would the replacement of the camshaft sensors cure this, or am i needing to replace something else....
Faulty VANOS Solenoid valve can cause Camshaft Over Advanced on N42 Valvetronic engine. Have you checked this?
zbi701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft position sensor, p0011, stalling