E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #1901
fuzioneer

My Ride: BMW 330ci
1. Doesn't read your 2GB SD card
Does it read any other SD card?

No get same message with another new micro sd card, does the file system have to be a certain type i.e. FAT / FAT32 etc ?
fuzioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1902
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by System77 View Post
A fair point and one Ive heard numerous times (road noise etc) and another issue being size, Ive nearly 500gb in Flac alone I'd love to have accessible via a touch screen unit, but not sure if one of these or a Dynavin can power a small 2.5" Sata drive in a USB powered case.
If you use a powered hub, you'll be fine. You only get one USB port on the Android side, so in order to have some sort of network connect, and the hard drive at the same time, you'd need a hub of some sort anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzioneer View Post
1. Doesn't read your 2GB SD card
Does it read any other SD card?

No get same message with another new micro sd card, does the file system have to be a certain type i.e. FAT / FAT32 etc ?
I don't believe it's a formatting issue. If that were the case, Android would prompt you to format. You might be able to insert/remove/insert/remove a few times and get it to read it, but other than that, I think the SD card slot is damaged.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #1903
Patryk528i

My Ride: e39 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak
Alright, so a bit about what I've discovered the last couple of days:

2. The TCC8925 chipset has two USB ports. One is host-mode only, and the other is USB "On-The-Go." Host mode is 4 pins, OTG is 5, with the sense pin shorted to ground. I was hoping they had exposed the OTG port and shorted the sense pins at the connector, but it appears they have only given us the one "Host" port. This sucks, because you can't connect a PC to a host port, which means you can't use adb to get root from there.

3. If you connect a powered USB port (Male A to Male A from a laptop to USB connector on head unit) the Android side doesn't power down when the key is turned off. This is potentially interesting.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=923864

So, build that powered hub, minus the power supply. Then, go Constant Powered (like from the back of the cigarette lighter) 12V_USB_Adapter <-USB Male A----USB Male A-> Hub. Android side stays on, so you don't have to wait for it to boot up when you start the car.
I have e39 unit with Android core CPU: TCC8902 ARM11 720MHZ
Memory: 256MB RAM, 2G Nand Flash

so you tell that when i connect directlly into the unit at the port where i have wifi dongle something like that http://camonboard.pl/cpl/media/catal...i/file_1_4.jpg android side will still work ???_nr_
Patryk528i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #1904
Patryk528i

My Ride: e39 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak

2. The TCC8925 chipset has two USB ports. One is host-mode only, and the other is USB "On-The-Go." Host mode is 4 pins, OTG is 5, with the sense pin shorted to ground. I was hoping they had exposed the OTG port and shorted the sense pins at the connector, but it appears they have only given us the one "Host" port. This sucks, because you can't connect a PC to a host port, which means you can't use adb to get root from there.

3. If you connect a powered USB port (Male A to Male A from a laptop to USB connector on head unit) the Android side doesn't power down when the key is turned off. This is potentially interesting.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=923864

So, build that powered hub, minus the power supply. Then, go Constant Powered (like from the back of the cigarette lighter) 12V_USB_Adapter <-USB Male A----USB Male A-> Hub. Android side stays on, so you don't have to wait for it to boot up when you start the car.
So android side stays on and the screen stays on too or switches down with the unit ??_nr_
Patryk528i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #1905
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
@ painbreak : getting the XDA guys to root this thing is probably the best way around, did you ask one of the enco guys for help on rooting the unit ? They might be willing to help us root it because the user community would debug the machine for them AND develop new settings and usages...

Let me know what I can do to help, i have a B046 which is ready to be installed with wifi and DVB-T (no 3G dongle)

This being said if we need to generate a goldcard or something like that to root it we'll have PLENTY of users bricking their devices.....come on Charles, let us root it....we'll do the rest
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #1906
fuzioneer

just an update in case anyone else encounters same issue
i inserted the card into the Android side, comes up with error SD Card Damaged, go into Android Settings->Storage and then Erase SD Card, chose NTFS (Tried later with FAT32 and got same result) and the card formatted and then was read ok by Android, although it showed 1.36Gb free on an 8Gb Card.

Copying files across now for Sat Nav iGo etc and will retest if its still readable (shows as >7Gb free space on my Win XP Pc)
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #1907
fuzioneer

ok all is well, can use sat nav and read mp3s etc from the SD Card on Android side now, must be something weird that the Enco needs to do to initialise the card ?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1908
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryk528i View Post
So android side stays on and the screen stays on too or switches down with the unit ??_nr_
The screen powers off with the car, and only the small Android board inside the radio stays powered on. I suspect the power drain would be extremely minimal.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1909
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Regarding rooting, i was able to root my Dynavin d99 with z4root:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
couldn't you guys do the same with the enco units?
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1910
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Regarding rooting, i was able to root my Dynavin d99 with z4root:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
couldn't you guys do the same with the enco units?
I didn't have any luck with Z4Root. It was the first thing I tried, but it doesn't work for Ice Cream Sandwich.

I emailed Charles a few days back about the GPS issue, but didn't hear anything back. I just sent him an email with the new framework.jar that I put together, with the updated classes.dex inside to fix the GPS problem. I also asked him if his engineers could package up a new firmware for me to apply to the B046.

I get the feeling there's going to be too much of a language barrier between me and Charles or Jolly to really get much assistance from them.

Oh, and an update. AM/FM is working fine now with the factory antenna. The adapter had a bent center pin for the FAKRA connector. I put it back to the center, connected it, and reception is flawless. Chalk up another one for "User error."

I started an XDA thread, so we'll see what happens.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087886

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-07-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #1911
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
I didn't have any luck with Z4Root. It was the first thing I tried, but it doesn't work for Ice Cream Sandwich.

I emailed Charles a few days back about the GPS issue, but didn't hear anything back. I just sent him an email with the new framework.jar that I put together, with the updated classes.dex inside to fix the GPS problem. I also asked him if his engineers could package up a new firmware for me to apply to the B046.

I get the feeling there's going to be too much of a language barrier between me and Charles or Jolly to really get much assistance from them.

Oh, and an update. AM/FM is working fine now with the factory antenna. The adapter had a bent center pin for the FAKRA connector. I put it back to the center, connected it, and reception is flawless. Chalk up another one for "User error."

I started an XDA thread, so we'll see what happens.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087886
That's a pity about z4root :-(

It's funny also about your factory antenna, i had the exact same issue with my Dynavin with a bent pin. Once I discovered this everything was A1!
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #1912
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
The screen powers off with the car, and only the small Android board inside the radio stays powered on. I suspect the power drain would be extremely minimal.
Correct, THAT particular power drain would be minimal, but that would prevent the car from going into sleep mode, allowing other minimal drains to accumulate and basically drain the battery over time, or do whatever sleep mode prevents them to do. And the difference is huge, trust me, if you're not driving your car every day. If you do, that's not an issue. My E36 didn't have sleep mode, obviously, and if I didn't drive it for 4-5 days, I couldn't start it. Needless to say, this kind of "torture" shortens the life of battery, too. On the other hand, due to sleep mode, I can leave my E46 3 weeks, it starts without problems.

That being said, I am not sure if Enco as is, because it's an an aftermarket unit, DOES allow car to go into sleep mode. For some people, it is of great importance.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 01-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #1913
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
This may sound stupid but if we connect the Enco to the "non permanent" 12V, what's going to happen ?
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1914
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Correct, THAT particular power drain would be minimal, but that would prevent the car from going into sleep mode, allowing other minimal drains to accumulate and basically drain the battery over time, or do whatever sleep mode prevents them to do. And the difference is huge, trust me, if you're not driving your car every day. If you do, that's not an issue. My E36 didn't have sleep mode, obviously, and if I didn't drive it for 4-5 days, I couldn't start it. Needless to say, this kind of "torture" shortens the life of battery, too. On the other hand, due to sleep mode, I can leave my E46 3 weeks, it starts without problems.

That being said, I am not sure if Enco as is, because it's an an aftermarket unit, DOES allow car to go into sleep mode. For some people, it is of great importance.
This is misinformation, and you grossly overestimate the "intelligence" of the sleep function. There are only a handful of circuits that "sleep." The radio is one of them, as are the power windows and the interior lights, trunk light, and hood light, but the cigarette lighter is not. The sleep function doesn't check current draw, and arbitrarily determine whether or not it's ok to sleep. It's timer-based, and when it's sleepy-time, it doesn't give a damn. . You can reset the timer, however, by opening the door, inserting the key, opening the hood or trunk, etc.

Having something connected to the cigarette lighter will not stop your car from going into sleep mode.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #1915
rflail

My Ride: 2006 330 CiC ZHP
I just finished installing the new android 4.04 unit and my experience so far is below:

- Wifi is working great using my iphone 5 hotspot.

- Radio reception was initially terrible. I removed the antenna adapter and saw that the center pin had become detached. I've ordered another adapter to see if this fixes the issue like it did for PainBreak.

- GPS works great except for two issues. The speed is doubled as PainBreak described. The iGO Primo card works, but when you close the application none of the settings are saved so every time I open it I have to go through the setup wizard.

- When I used the android market place it believes I am in a different country (I assume China) and does not allow be to download certain apps.

- Volume Control - I have the HK amp and assumed I would have this issue so I ordered a LOC. I was surprised that the volume control appears to be working fine without the LOC.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, so I'll keep people posted as I sort out some of these issues or discover new ones.

One other thing I want to report is that Jolly is basically ignoring me now that she has made her sale. I ordered the new android unit, wifi card, map card, and the backup camera. I did not receive the backup camera and have emailed her 4 times asking that she either ship it to me or refund me the $20. She will not respond to my emails so I tried to initiate a chat with her through the website the other night. She initially was responding in the chat; however as soon as she realized it was me she stopped and went away. What a joke!

Last edited by rflail; 01-08-2013 at 11:15 AM.
rflail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #1916
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Any photos or videos?
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #1917
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflail View Post
The iGO Primo card works, but when you close the application none of the settings are saved so every time I open it I have to go through the setup wizard.
There's a long list of things that could be fixed just by being root. By default, the secondary SD card (there's a partition of the internal storage that is considered sdcard by the OS) is not writable by applications. The app uid is not a member of a group with write_external_storage rights. Easily fixed by root access, if we can ever get it.

The iGO Primo installation that came with mine did not work. Can you zip up the following files off of your SD card and put them someplace, like Dropbox for me?

data.zip, sys.txt, branding.zip

Thanks

Edit: I believe with a modification to part of the [folders] entries in sys.txt we can move some of the data from the sd card to the internal memory, and that will allow it to save the settings, but still keep the map data on the external sd card, so that we're not eating up a bunch of internal memory.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #1918
rflail

My Ride: 2006 330 CiC ZHP
Quote:
There's a long list of things that could be fixed just by being root. By default, the secondary SD card (there's a partition of the internal storage that is considered sdcard by the OS) is not writable by applications. The app uid is not a member of a group with write_external_storage rights. Easily fixed by root access, if we can ever get it.

The iGO Primo installation that came with mine did not work. Can you zip up the following files off of your SD card and put them someplace, like Dropbox for me?

data.zip, sys.txt, branding.zip

Thanks
Yeah if I can find my micro SD card reader I'll post it.

Are you having the same problem with the Android Play Market thinking that you are in the wrong country? I've tried clearing the app data and I still can't download spotify or pandora. I can't run any type of market enabler app because I don't have root.
rflail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #1919
PainBreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflail View Post
Yeah if I can find my micro SD card reader I'll post it.

Are you having the same problem with the Android Play Market thinking that you are in the wrong country? I've tried clearing the app data and I still can't download spotify or pandora. I can't run any type of market enabler app because I don't have root.
Yeah, it will need a different signed version of Google Play before we'll be able to install certain items straight from the store. Luckily, most things install just fine if you have the APK available, although I can't get Glympse to install.

Also, if you can't find your SD reader, you could probably install Dropbox on your Android and upload them straight from there.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #1920
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
Enco ICS Bluetooth

hello, can any of you guys who have the new ICS enco confirm if Bluetooth works on the Android side, (or if a 3rd party BT dongle is installed)

this did not work on the 2.3 versions as the BT API was missing from the ROM, so greyed out

i am interested in upgrading from my 2.3 to ICS if this works so i can use Torque OBD

regards
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote