E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #1921
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
Enco ICS Bluetooth

hello, can any of you guys who have the new ICS enco confirm if Bluetooth works on the Android side, (or if a 3rd party BT dongle is installed)

this did not work on the 2.3 versions as the BT API was missing from the ROM, so greyed out

i am interested in upgrading from my 2.3 to ICS if this works so i can use Torque OBD

regards
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #1922
rflail

My Ride: 2006 330 CiC ZHP
I've ordered a bluetooth adaptor and a usb hub and will let you know how it works when I recieve it.

Last edited by rflail; 01-09-2013 at 06:10 PM.
rflail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #1923
E46-Munster

My Ride: E46 318Ci M-Sport
Excellent. Just got a promotion at work and it seems as though the Android 4.04 units are working well. Might be time to pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback Painbreak.

One question; will I be rendering my Multi Function Steering Wheel stereo controls as useless?

Also, to confirm...out of the box there is no issue with tethering your Enco units to your phones WiFi? I have a Galaxy S3 with unlimited data and the main reason I want an Enco unit is to stream internet radio.

Finally, does the unit have bluetooth? I got an OBDII Bluetooth dongle lately and I'm using it with Torque Pro to get real time stats on my car, it would be great to have this integrated into the dash.

Thanks from Ireland!

Last edited by E46-Munster; 01-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.
E46-Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #1924
rflail

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46-Munster View Post
Excellent. Just got a promotion at work and it seems as though the Android 4.04 units are working well. Might be time to pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback Painbreak.

One question; will I be rendering my Multi Function Steering Wheel stereo controls as useless?

Also, to confirm...out of the box there is no issue with tethering your Enco units to your phones WiFi? I have a Galaxy S3 with unlimited data and the main reason I want an Enco unit is to stream internet radio.

Finally, does the unit have bluetooth? I got an OBDII Bluetooth dongle lately and I'm using it with Torque Pro to get real time stats on my car, it would be great to have this integrated into the dash.

Thanks from Ireland!
-The steering wheel controls work; however I am having some issues where they can be unresponsive at times. It may just be an installation issue. I'm going to check this next time i have the dash pulled apart.

-The only issue I had is that the Enco initially could not see my iphone wifi hotspot because the ssid had an " ' " in it. I changed the name and it's been working great since.

-There is no bluetooth on the Android side of the unit. Apparently you can use a usb hub (because there is only 1 port which is used by the wifi adapter) and a micro bluetooth adaptor and it should work. I've ordered both and will report back once I install them. There is bluetooth on the radio side and it works fine for bluetooth audio streaming and phone calls.

Last edited by rflail; 01-09-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #1925
PainBreak

My Ride: 2004 325i
There's a good chance that the bluetooth adapter won't work right off the bat, because I doubt they've built bluetooth drivers into the kernel.

That said, once we find a way to root this thing, the tcc8925 kernel source is available for custom compilation:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/...0-tizzbird-n1/
PainBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #1926
rflail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
There's a good chance that the bluetooth adapter won't work right off the bat, because I doubt they've built bluetooth drivers into the kernel.

That said, once we find a way to root this thing, the tcc8925 kernel source is available for custom compilation:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/07/...0-tizzbird-n1/
Did you every receive any responses to Mr. Charles regarding the GPS mph or help rooting?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #1927
CTRob

My Ride: Alpine white e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflail View Post
-The steering wheel controls work; however I am having some issues where they can be unresponsive at times. It may just be an installation issue. I'm going to check this next time i have the dash pulled
Hi there can you confirm if the steering wheel controls work on both the radio side and the Android side?
CTRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #1928
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
So let's summarize a bit for the new version

1) BT is OK on the radio side (for phone handsfree for example) but unconfirmed on android side (for live OBD for example), if someone has a working BT dongle for android can we know which brand model and chipset ?
2) Wifi is OK on the android side with the provided dongle
3) GPS is locked in mph on the android side, we need enco to either reload the new file that painbreak has sent them or better, give us root so that we can play.
4) About the root, can we go the hard way and force flash the proper files ? Maybe even with an eprom burner or whatever....

If there's more info I'll edit the post and add details.

Thanks
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #1929
E46-Munster

My Ride: E46 318Ci M-Sport
Thumbs Up

Quote:
-The steering wheel controls work; however I am having some issues where they can be unresponsive at times. It may just be an installation issue. I'm going to check this next time i have the dash pulled apart.

-The only issue I had is that the Enco initially could not see my iphone wifi hotspot because the ssid had an " ' " in it. I changed the name and it's been working great since.

-There is no bluetooth on the Android side of the unit. Apparently you can use a usb hub (because there is only 1 port which is used by the wifi adapter) and a micro bluetooth adaptor and it should work. I've ordered both and will report back once I install them. There is bluetooth on the radio side and it works fine for bluetooth audio streaming and phone calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
So let's summarize a bit for the new version

1) BT is OK on the radio side (for phone handsfree for example) but unconfirmed on android side (for live OBD for example), if someone has a working BT dongle for android can we know which brand model and chipset ?
2) Wifi is OK on the android side with the provided dongle
3) GPS is locked in mph on the android side, we need enco to either reload the new file that painbreak has sent them or better, give us root so that we can play.
4) About the root, can we go the hard way and force flash the proper files ? Maybe even with an eprom burner or whatever....

If there's more info I'll edit the post and add details.

Thanks
Cheers guys. Great to hear feedback on the new unit.

In terms of installation guides and relocating elements of the dash, do you have any step by step links?

Thanks.
E46-Munster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #1930
Ionkontrol

My Ride: 318CI SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46-Munster View Post
Cheers guys. Great to hear feedback on the new unit.

In terms of installation guides and relocating elements of the dash, do you have any step by step links?

Thanks.
Ionkontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #1931
rflail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRob View Post
Hi there can you confirm if the steering wheel controls work on both the radio side and the Android side?
Yes, they work on both sides.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #1932
CTRob

Quote:
Yes, they work on both sides.
Can you confirm as to what level of functionality the steering controls on the Android side allow?
Can you for instance control the next previous track on a given media player like PowerAmp?

Would one of you guys be able to put together a video or review with pics of the unit?
I'd love to see how both the radio side looks as well as how the Android O/S looks and performs, i'd also like to see how google maps/Nav looks on the unit.
I will be comparing directly against a Dynavin D99+ unit.

Thanks!

Last edited by CTRob; 01-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #1933
PainBreak

Quote:
Can you confirm as to what level of functionality the steering controls on the Android side allow?
Can you for instance control the next previous track on a given media player like PowerAmp?

Would one of you guys be able to put together a video or review with pics of the unit?
I'd love to see how both the radio side looks as well as how the Android O/S looks and performs, i'd also like to see how google maps/Nav looks on the unit.
I will be comparing directly against a Dynavin D99+ unit.

Thanks!
The steering wheel controls don't control anything on the Android side, but since Android's audio is routed through the audio input for the "Main Amp / Radio" side, you can adjust the volume from the steering wheel controls. In fact, that's the only place you should be adjusting the volume. Android's volume should be set at somewhere between 3/4 and max, and never touched again.

But no, the steering wheel controls only map to the "Main" side of the unit.

If you can picture in your head how it is all connected, it really helps to understand the limitations of, and the benefits of the setup. Let's compare the B046 to a home theater system.

The TV is the Touch Screen Display
The Tuner/Amp is the "Radio" side.
The Blu-Ray/DVD player is the "Android" side.

Blu-Ray/DVD-->Tuner/Amp-->TV
Android-->Radio-->Touch Screen

You can't change the channel on your TV from the front of your Tuner/Amp. But you can change the radio station.

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to check on the iGo stuff yet, rflail. I fell victim to a window regulator failure yesterday.

Last edited by PainBreak; 01-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #1934
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainBreak View Post
If you can picture in your head how it is all connected, it really helps to understand the limitations of, and the benefits of the setup. Let's compare the B046 to a home theater system.

The TV is the Touch Screen Display
The Tuner/Amp is the "Radio" side.
The Blu-Ray/DVD player is the "Android" side.

Blu-Ray/DVD-->Tuner/Amp-->TV
Android-->Radio-->Touch Screen

You can't change the channel on your TV from the front of your Tuner/Amp. But you can change the radio station.

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to check on the iGo stuff yet, rflail. I fell victim to a window regulator failure yesterday.
Ok so it sounds like it works the same as my Dynavin D99 so no biggie there.
What I'm interested to know:
  • Does the audio cut out when reverse gear is engaged or does the audio just become lower?
  • What is the Bluetooth call quality like?
  • What does the 'radio' side looks like in terms of menu's etc?
  • Can the unit be set to boot from the Android side or does the user have to manually press a key when the unit has loaded (like the Dynavin units).
  • How long does it take the unit to boot up and how long does the Android side take to boot?
  • Is there a restart, reset or reboot option for the Android side?
  • How much storage space does the Android side have?
  • Does the Android side support USB host mode I.E. can we use usb ODB adaptors with Torque etc?
  • How stable does the Android 4 O/S seem?

Sorry for all the questions but these are the kind of things that may sway me over from the Dynavin units
Would absolutely love a video review, even if it was just the video of how it looks etc
Thanks folks!

Last edited by CTRob; 01-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #1935
PainBreak

Quote:
Ok so it sounds like it works the same as my Dynavin D99 so no biggie there.
What I'm interested to know:
  • Does the audio cut out when reverse gear is engaged or does the audio just become lower?
    Not sure. I haven't installed my reverse camera yet.
  • What is the Bluetooth call quality like?
    Every so often there might be a pop, but my wife says it sounds the same while driving down the road as it does just talking on a normal cell phone, so I'd rate the quality pretty well. No issues so far.
  • What does the 'radio' side looks like in terms of menu's etc?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmwomgdj
  • Can the unit be set to boot from the Android side or does the user have to manually press a key when the unit has loaded (like the Dynavin units).
    Nope. The Android side works in the exact same fashion as does the Dynavin units.
  • How long does it take the unit to boot up and how long does the Android side take to boot?
    5 seconds for the Radio side, 30-45s for the Android side.
  • Is there a restart, reset or reboot option for the Android side?
    Not yet. Need to be root to issue a restart command.
  • How much storage space does the Android side have?
    4GB internal, and a microSD slot. Not sure the limit but mine came with a 4GB card.
  • Does the Android side support USB host mode I.E. can we use usb ODB adaptors with Torque etc?
    At this point, it *only* supports USB host mode, but you'll be limited to devices which have a driver built into the kernel. They built in the wifi driver for the particular dongle that they ship with it. USB mouse works fine, since it's a standard HID device. Some custom OBD dongle? Probably not going to work, until we can build a new kernel for this system. But it might... Don't know until you plug it in.
  • How stable does the Android 4 O/S seem?
    No issues at all with stability.

Sorry for all the questions but these are the kind of things that may sway me over from the Dynavin units
Would absolutely love a video review, even if it was just the video of how it looks etc
Thanks folks!
I answered some of your questions above.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1936
rflail

I concur with PainBreak regarding the boot times and android stability.

One thing I've noticed is that the EQ settings on the radio side have no effect on the audio outputted from the android side. When listening to audio on the android side it only comes out of the front right and left speakers. Am I missing some setting on the android side to control this?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #1937
jchuillier

My Ride: 330CD
Ok, installed mine today but didn't have time for tests.

1) No sound whatsoever, I just used the long cable to connect to the back of the car, so the BM54 module is unplugged and unused. Am I missing something there ? I have the connector with all the RCA plugs connected but nothing plugged to the RCA wires.
2) I can't get DTV to scan for channels
3) GPS works perfectly, Igo runs smoothly, it does not remember the settings though.
4) I can't get the radio BT to go into search mode to connect to my phone.

I'll play with it more tomorrow and report back
jchuillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #1938
bjornh

My Ride: 320iAT
Quote:
I concur with PainBreak regarding the boot times and android stability.

One thing I've noticed is that the EQ settings on the radio side have no effect on the audio outputted from the android side. When listening to audio on the android side it only comes out of the front right and left speakers. Am I missing some setting on the android side to control this?
Does the android side send the output to the front RCA outs as well as the amplified speaker outs?
bjornh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #1939
CTRob

Thanks lads, PainBreak in relation to the sound cutting out when reverse is selected, if it is like the Dynavin it will do this whether a reverse camera is installed or not.
Unless a user is using the latest Dynavin D99+, when reverse gear is selected the Dynavin units cut the sound which I found really annoying.
Wondering does the Enco do the same?
Could you check this on both the Radio and Android side by any chance please?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #1940
CTRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuillier View Post
Ok, installed mine today but didn't have time for tests.

I can't answer a lot of these obviously as I don't own one but just on points 3and 4:

3) GPS works perfectly, Igo runs smoothly, it does not remember the settings though. How come some of the other guys are having issues with the GPS incorrectly reporting in knotts? I wonder does this mean there might be different versions of the software stack out??
4) I can't get the radio BT to go into search mode to connect to my phone.
From my experience with Dynavin units to pair the bluetooth I would have to get the phone to search for the Dynavin unit and pair from there. Perhaps the Enco is the same??
Rob