E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
OkStateMET

My Ride: 1999 323i
Thanks again for the advice, I will try and keep it simple this time around....

Spikes stripped lower, $120 Local
Spikes LPK, $65 @ http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/SPKSLPK101.aspx
Magpul MOE Stock kit, $70 @ http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOESTOCKKITBLK.aspx
Del-Ton 16' Mid lenght upper w/ 1:7, chromed, and YHM 4 rail @ $560

Total = $815 + shipping

I will also need to find some mags and a rear sight...... What do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #22
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
For mags, the best ones I've used have been the Magpul PMAG, Troy BattleMag, TangoDown ARC Mag, and Magpul enhanced/upgraded USGI mags. Standard USGI mags are relatively reliable, but getting the Magpul anti-tilt follower will make them a lot more reliable. It's up to you to get what you want, but of those listed, there is no wrong answer.

For the rear sight, it really depends on if you are going to run an optic. Are you? Or are you just going to run irons?
If you run irons only, I'd recommend a fixed rear sight like a Daniel Defense 1.5 Sight or the Troy Fixed Rear sight. If you want folding sights, Troy folding, PRI folding or Samson. If you are going to run an optic, then run a folding rear like those listed above, or run the Magpul MBUS Gen2. I don't recommend Magpul MBUS for full-time use.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
OkStateMET

I want to run Iron sights first and become proficient with the basics, then upgrade to a dot sight. Is there any accuracy sacrificed with flip front and rear?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Reedo302

Not really. Accuracy really relates to the type of sight. Most are using A2/M4 apertures, which are all basically the same size (or a few .001" off). There are specific sights for long range accuracy that use smaller diameter apertures, but you don't need those and should steer clear.
Typical BUIS can serve as very capable full-time iron sights. I just don't recommend using Magpul MBUS full-time for extended periods, because they do not have the rigidity of most metallic BUIS. Case in point- the Troy BUIS locking mechanism has been tested to withstand up to 1000lbs of pressure before failing. That can translate well into durability during an unintentional drop or impact of the rifle onto something very hard. I believe that other sights like the PRI and Diamondhead are similar in strength. When the sights are folded, they are protected. When they are deployed, they are vulnerable.

I would certainly say that learning how to use iron sights is important, but with modern optical technology being what it is, the premise that you need iron sights to be accurate or to learn marksmanship is no longer valid. This is, of course, providing that you are using a quality optic. If you can't afford an optic right now, that's cool. Just don't forgo the optic in favor of iron sights because you think they will make you a better shooter. Iron sights work on a 2-plane sighting system where you need to precisely align them for optimal effect. In all reality, there is a lot more room for error with iron sights. With optics, you simply zero the optic, and then you just place the aiming point or reticle where you want the bullet to go, and let 'er rip. Can't really screw that up as easily.
Just a couple thoughts from both sides of the fence.

Glock Armorer

Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
OkStateMET

Update:

I purchased the spikes lower, spikes lower parts kit and a magpul moe stock kit. Total so far is $260. Once I get the lower built I will order the upper, this is what im looking at....

Spike's Tactical 16" Midlength MOE LE Upper (5.56)-STU5035-MOE ~ $509
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spik...tu5035-moe.htm

or

Spike's Tactical 16" Midlength Upper LE w/12" BAR Rail-STU5035-R2S ~ $670
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spik...tu5035-r2s.htm
Old 01-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I own the second one that you listed. I like it very much, and I have never had a problem with it.

FYI - If you join AR15Chatterbox.com, Joseph will give you a 5% discount on any order from him with the coupon code. You will also get a free hoody.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Joebob is good people! They sponsor a lot of gunforums i take it. They have a coupon for 5% off(Code is MD) on MDShooters too. They give out free Ts with every order.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #28
OkStateMET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Joebob is good people! They sponsor a lot of gunforums i take it. They have a coupon for 5% off(Code is MD) on MDShooters too. They give out free Ts with every order.
Thanks, you can never have to many T's! do you have to be a member of that forum to use the code?

Quote:
FYI - If you join AR15Chatterbox.com, Joseph will give you a 5% discount on any order from him with the coupon code. You will also get a free hoody
I could hardly read the white font on that forum, but it would be worth the free hoody.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Free hoody is for any purchase over $250.

Unless you live in MD, that forum code won't work. It checks your mailing address.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
OkStateMET

Finally got the lower parts kit shipped w/ the MOE stock kit. I am very pleased with the Spike LPK, Trigger and hammer have polished flanges at contact point. All in all the lower took one hour to assemble, very straight forward. Now i just need to order the upper and some optics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0198.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	435032  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #31
OkStateMET

Found the complete upper local, I went with a Spikess 16" M4 W/ MOE hand gard and vertical grip! Now I just need optics! Cant wait to fire this bad boy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gun1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	436945   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	436946  

Last edited by OkStateMET; 02-13-2012 at 07:29 PM.
OkStateMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #32
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
optics, you need some kinda iron sight also

Check out the matech buis, they can be had surplus for cheap IIRC I paid $25 for mine. I found a rifle similar to yours to give you a idea of what they look like on the gun. They will cowitness with aimpoints/eotechs and tuck under a acog/elcan.

tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #33
Reedo302

Any idea on what you want for optics?

Glock Armorer

Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
OkStateMET

Im trying to decide between,

Vortex
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Stri...-sfrd-ar15.htm

or

Primary arms
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...g.htm?CartID=3

Any better recommendations for a max of $200? I would like something with a small amount of zoom and largest possible field of view.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #35
Reedo302

Vortex has a lifetime warranty. Primary Arms has either a 1 or 2 year warranty IIRC (or something close to that). Both are low-end Chinese optics, and not meant for durability; they're considered hobby or range optics. They don't have the durability that you would get from an Aimpoint. As such, it helps to ensure that you have a good warranty. Just my $0.02.

Glock Armorer

Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
junk...

Those will stay on the rifle for 6 months tops before they get tossed in the spare parts box.

IMHO the best starter sights are aimpoint comp m2's and eotechs, buy used and your not talking about much more cash.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
Reedo302

Aimpoint FTW

Glock Armorer

Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
OkStateMET

Yes. Yes. I know Aimpoint and EoTech are great, but Im not really looking to go that rout at the moment. Although hopefully I will be able to soon.

I found a YHM Flip rear sight local, im hoping to pick up tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #39
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I have one of those Primary Arms Micro Clones. It's a good little sight for a range gun. Would I count on it if my life depended on it? No. Would I count on it for taking a gun out of a bag, shooting some paper, and putting it back in the bag? Sure!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
OkStateMET

Went with a YHM flip rear sight. It has two sight receptacles (small and larger hole) that you can flip between. Seems to be well built. I also picked up a ergo grip that is top notch and very comfortable. Hopefully I can make time to shoot it tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gun5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	437424   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	437425