E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
GodsSon

My Ride: 325i
Corner / Parking Light Delete PROPER DIY............GodsSon

This DIY is for people who want to get rid of the yellow corner / parking lights on the front of their E46 BMW, without risking blowing their LCM, AND without buying LED corners, AND without buying a euro switch. Also gives the option of turning them back on with the flip of a switch... just in case cops give you problems!!

BlackBerry Owner? David is a Wireless Usage Monitor that can track your wireless bill in real time from your blackberry! Available on Blackberry AppWorld... more info
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

HOW IT WORKS:

The BMW E46 corner / parking lights run on a dual voltage system. 6 volts for the corner / parking lights and 12 volts for the turn signal. This DIY creates a circuit which allows three options for the lighting. Under the 6 volt load it will connect a resistor to the circuit in place of the light to prevent the light from coming on and yet prevent a bulb out warning. Under the 12 volt load it will connect the light allowing the turn signal to function properly. And finally with the switch OFF it will connect the light to function normally as BMW intended in our various countries. This method connects the corner / parking light to its intended power source whereas other mods connect to the side light power source which may create problems with the LCM and later repair bills.

PARTS:
  • 1x - DPDT switch
  • 5x - 2 meter, 14/19 gauge wire / 1x 3m wire
  • 1x - Project Box
  • 2x - 6 Ohm, 50 Watt Resistor
  • 2x - SPDT, 40 Amp, 12 Volt Auto Relay
  • 2x - 1 KOhm Resistor
  • 2x - 3 Amp DIODE

THE BASIC CIRCUIT:

This is the circuit for ONE side of the car only!! so you would just double it for the other side. Since I placed both sides in one box this meant that they could share the ground wire and a switch. the switch in the circuit for the one side is a SPDT whereas if you are doing both in one box you would use a DPDT.

Essentially the TRIGGER will be connected to the side light. The INPUT will be connected to the positive cable running to the corner / parking light. The OUTPUT will be connected to the cable still connected to the corner / parking light. And the GROUND will be connected to the cars ground. A diagram of the connections is provided below.

My finished product is shown below. I fit both circuits in one box hooked up to one switch to control the normal and light delete modes.

I placed the corner delete box in the empty space of the engine bay and attached it with two sided permanent tape. The pics below show the positioning and completed with all cables attached.

NOTE: I found that the resistors and therefore the box got extremely hot while in operation and risked damaging the relays so I relocated the resistors outside the box. This means that the black box could be even smaller than it is now!.. see below pic!

The result is a Corner / Parking Light delete Mod without downsizing to LED's, blowing LCM's or worrying about your province/state's traffic laws!

BEFORE

AFTER

ERTW.......
BlackBerry Owner? David is a Wireless Usage Monitor that can track your wireless bill in real time from your blackberry! Available on Blackberry AppWorld... more info
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

Last edited by GodsSon; 08-01-2009 at 07:05 PM.
GodsSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Nice!

Awful lot of work for a light....gotta love the forums for creativity!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Salazar

My Ride: 323ci
Send a message via AIM to Salazar
wow!

can you make me one of those boxes and sell it to me? LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
adjei

My Ride: red e46
can you please make me a box, i live in oakville so it shouldn't be hard to pick up
im about 10mins from sq1

Last edited by adjei; 09-01-2009 at 10:53 PM.
adjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
GodsSon

For purchase requests please PM me!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
when the parking lights are on (without headlights) will the corner lights still light up?

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
GodsSon

When the ModBox switch is set to "ON"; the only time the corner lights are on are when the turn signals are signalling. When the ModBox switch is set to "OFF" the corner lights function as usual (as parking lights/Night Corner Lights/turn signals). So the answer to your question depends on which state the switch is in!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
mujjuman

haha tahnks!

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Interesting, Good work!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
zugellos

My Ride: '02 330i
GodsSon's schematic appears to be sound....so has anyone attempted this yet?
If so, what are your results?
zugellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
uninc4709

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i 5spd
how much are you thinking of charging for the boxes??
uninc4709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
GodsSon

PARTS:
1x - DPDT switch - $10.00
5x - 2 meter, 14/19 gauge wire / 1x 3m wire - $10.00
1x - Project Box - $10.00
2x - 6 Ohm, 50 Watt Resistor - $30.00
2x - SPDT, 40 Amp, 12 Volt Auto Relay - $20.00
2x - 1 KOhm Resistor - $ 2.50
2x - 3 Amp DIODE - $ 2.50

LABOUR: - $60.00

TOTAL: - $145.00

*Doesn't include shipping
*Custom made electronics aren't cheap and even though its fun I don't work for free, Sorry!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
jreid

My Ride: a car
great find. i allways wondered about doing this.
jreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
lbcluis325i

the joker even says that: If you're good at something, never do it for free. hahah
lbcluis325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
on coupes the corners look sick

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
UNFORGIVEN
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Bagged Stang, 330CI
Man, I've been thinking about doing this ever since my corners started blowing. I had new harnesses spliced in on each end and my DS blew again.

I don't know what's going on. So fking frustrating.

Special thanks to Mr. AWD for the new sig...
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #17
snowcatxx87

My Ride: 04 330CI
???

I would hardly call this proper. The proper way is what I did: software to program my cars LSZ (light switching center) to european spec, and turned off the corner bulbs.

LOL.
snowcatxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4GIV3N View Post
Man, I've been thinking about doing this ever since my corners started blowing. I had new harnesses spliced in on each end and my DS blew again.

I don't know what's going on. So fking frustrating.
damn man that sucks!!!! maybe its the bulbs? dont touch the glass with ur fingers. that tends to make them go out sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
???

I would hardly call this proper. The proper way is what I did: software to program my cars LSZ (light switching center) to european spec, and turned off the corner bulbs.

LOL.
how do u do that?

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
diablo666l

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to diablo666l
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
When the ModBox switch is set to "ON"; the only time the corner lights are on are when the turn signals are signalling. When the ModBox switch is set to "OFF" the corner lights function as usual (as parking lights/Night Corner Lights/turn signals). So the answer to your question depends on which state the switch is in!
Is it possible to rig it up so that the 'always on' headlights only come on with the parking lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatxx87 View Post
???

LOL.
How/Where did you get the software changed? I have an aftermarket headunit, and the dealership says the program won't take...I want to shut my 'always on' headlights off so badly!

Audio: Pioneer AVIC Z3, 1200 Watt Mu Dimension Amp, Audio Pipe Crossovers
Lighting: CCFL Angel Eyes, Custom 'devil eyes', custom LED ambiance lighting, LED license plate lights, invisibulb turning signals
Performance: Front AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, Rear Ebay Strut Bar
Appearance: 20% Tint, Clear Bumper Reflectors, AC Schnitzer Aluminum pedals
Other: Viper 2-way Alarm/Remote Start
diablo666l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666l View Post
Is it possible to rig it up so that the 'always on' headlights only come on with the parking lights?

How/Where did you get the software changed? I have an aftermarket headunit, and the dealership says the program won't take...I want to shut my 'always on' headlights off so badly!
I do the software mod for locals in NY/NJ. I can take care of the corner light "mod" as well as many other tweaks...
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corner light, delete, lcm, parking light, turn signal