E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
geoffriehl

My Ride: 2001 330ci ZSP
and it is not hard...just when you take the valve out, you need to twist is a little, I think there is a good DIY on here....

fancy M3 steering wheeL, 19's, clear lens set

stock otherwise

geoffriehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I watched the video from solidjake I guess. Doesn't look hard. I will grab the O ring on my way back from work. And do it someday this week.
How do you take out the old gasket though, does it just roll out? or do I cut it/ I have seen people posting that the old one is stuck pretty hard. Any tricks/tips on removing the old one?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
geoffriehl

I used a razor and a pocket screw driver...just take your time :-)

stock otherwise

Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
George Type-S

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffriehl View Post
ok guys, I finally have something to contribute! After chasing misfire and lean codes, and installing an air pump I did not need, I finally located and fixed my issue. If you get lean codes, misfires, at cold start up a little of a choppy idle but THAT bad, maybe a slight lack of acceleration, but not that bad...plugs and coils are good...check the DISA valve gasket! (sorry, dont have pics)

easy to remove, anyone reading this can figure it out...once it is out, and you can see flat spots...scrape the old orange gasket out....clean it real well, go to Advance, and buy a $2.00 Fel Pro gasket PN 35489 for a 1991 to 1994 Ford Probe...it fits like a glove! Seat the gasket in there, coat it in oil, set the valve and alternate tightening the bolts up, it fits PERFECT and AIR TIGHT!

Fixed me right up! and thanks to the guys on here for the suggestion to check that

Any questions, hit me up

Geoff

Thanks for the info!! I'm about to replace mine, it should be here in a few hours, I have the cold start up issues with my sister's E46. I'll report back to you if this works, today is a cold day, so I know for a fact if the car starts and doesn't shut off, this was the issue. It's $10 in Canada for the ring, but let's hope it works
George Type-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
geoffriehl

YES YES! let me know!

stock otherwise

Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
George Type-S

Quote:
YES YES! let me know!
I just got the piece, but I'll have an answer tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers!

My original thread with the problem:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=891085
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
geoffriehl

let me know!

stock otherwise

Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
trj

Quote:
I used a razor and a pocket screw driver...just take your time :-)
Aight, hopefully I will do it tomorrow.
Here is a quick question, what did you guys use to clean the DISA and ICV? CRC brakeleen?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #29
George Type-S

Quote:
let me know!
It worked!! Thank you again! (well for now)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #30
Wayne's World

My Ride: 2005 325i Sport 5spd
Just as an FYI it looks like NAPA also stocks this regularly. $6. I couldnt find it at my local advance auto.

Sent using BimmerDroid
Wayne's World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne's World View Post
Just as an FYI it looks like NAPA also stocks this regularly. $6. I couldnt find it at my local advance auto.

Sent using BimmerDroid
I got mine from advanced auto, but checked in auto zone as well.
Both stores had the gasket. Its around $6.
Came home excited.
Removed the air filter box, maf and found that the screw drivers I have are all long and I didn't have an extension socket for my rachet to remove DISA.
Put it all back, Will go and buy an extension socket now
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Here is the full overview of lean misfires and most common causes.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=50

As for poor fuel economy and lack of performance, VANOS O-ring replacement is likely what is needed.

http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
kcult

My Ride: 99 323i, 04 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Guys, I am just chasing a ghost of bad mpgs recently. Car drives fine, idles fine, no rattles, no loss of power, no codes nothing, just recently mpg dropped by 50 miles a tank..
Dad had this problem and fixed it with a locking gas cap. Gas mileage is now normal.

He suspects his neighbors were siphoning his gas to power their scooters and mowers.
kcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #34
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Here is the full overview of lean misfires and most common causes.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&highlight=50

As for poor fuel economy and lack of performance, VANOS O-ring replacement is likely what is needed.

http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html
Yah I am going for VANOS in a month.

I couldn't get the intake tubes out, those clamps were facing downwards and in all awkward position. Of course I couldn't get the DISA out too. I want to do the boots and the DISA together and I only bought one gasket for DISA. I didn't want to go and buy another gasket when I take it out next time. No DISA rattle though, didn't notice any change in the engine noise when I disconnected the DISA plug.

I didn't notice any big cracks in the rubber tubes, but did notice a thin external crack where the F tube joins to the upper intake boot.

I guess I order the intake tubes and replace them anyway. Called the dealer and he said the upper was $23.63 and the lower boot is $28.33.
Does it have to be a BMW OEM? I was checking online and got some prices around $15 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcult View Post
Dad had this problem and fixed it with a locking gas cap. Gas mileage is now normal.

He suspects his neighbors were siphoning his gas to power their scooters and mowers.
I don't think someones siphoning gas out, but can't rule out the possibility. So I will certainly keep an eye for the locking gas cap.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #35
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
I haven't had those problems yet, but I will be doing this next week as a preventive maint. @ the same time as i do my intake boots.

Thanks for the post.

This is also a great post confirming your choice of gaskets:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...3#post13985813

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 01-29-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #36
geoffriehl

Question: I replace my DISA valve gasket (duh) but could the VALVE itself cause bad MPG?

stock otherwise

Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #37
jfoj

The DISA can play into MPG as bit, but it appears the VANOS is more the player with MPG.

The DISA just changes the intake runner length to help with low end torque a bit. Note once you get the DISA out the butterfly should be tight on the shaft and spring back when you move it. The default position of the butterfly is open, you should be able to close the valve with your finger under spring tension and it will spring back open.

The VANOS actually changes the camshaft timing and that plays a much bigger part into power and fuel economy overall. The DISA is just a trick, where the VANOS is actually more science.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #38
jfoj

Oh, BTW, the intake elbows are a PITA to get at the clamps due to the position. Many cut the old boot to get better access. I use a 1/4" drive socket set to loosen the clamp enough to rotate it, then use a really long flat screw driver, 16-18" that allows me to get access and at crazy angles.

Also you probably need to cut the upper boot to get the plastic F connector out without breaking it. Then use silicon spray on the F connector when reinserting it into the new boot.

As for the DISA, it comes out fine with only disconnecting the air filter box and MAF and the wiring. The DISA will really only come out and go in one way, a bit tricky, but not hard. I think you need to angle it down and forward, do not force it, you will find the angle and it will come out nicely, but only at the one angle!

Last edited by jfoj; 01-30-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
geoffriehl

YEA, I did my lower boot at the same time with the gasket and it SUCKED, some dumba** put the clamps on upside down, so I had to get at them from the bottom, it took an hour to get them off, and 10 minutes to put them back on!

SO, as far as my MPG....which of those links should I try?

stock otherwise

Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
jfoj

Upside down hose clamps are from the factory!!

As for MPG, http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html

Replace VANOS O-rings, mileage and performance will be improved greatly.