E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Strange symptom.. What could it be?

Hey all, last week I drove over to a buddies place about 1.5hours away on the way there everything was fine, as I am getting closer to his place there is this sharp turn as I come out of the turn the car starts to jerk/loose power and almost like surge/hesitate.. as I keep going I have to go uphill so as I am accelerating hard it starts to do the same thing. About half a tank of fuel at this point in the tank. I get to his place and car stays put for a couple of days as I am visiting.

The following Monday I leave and head back home, fuel up as I was driving through a storm and in case I get stuck or delays.. Car performs flawlessly with no issues.

Throughout the week going to work and home no issues, over half tank of fuel.

Friday I was heading out again as I am driving down the highway I start to notice the same jerking/ losing power / surging feeling to the car. And this point I was coming to a gas station so I pulled in and fuelled up. Full tank, drive my 100miles to destination - without a hiccup.

Now this is making me start to wondering what this could be? Both times I noticed this issue I was right about half a tank of fuel or slightly less. Could this be a fuel pump issue? No codes are thrown on the car. I was going to connect INPA up tomorrow and check if there is any sort of errors hidden.

Any idea what my problem could be with the symptoms I listed? Car is a 02, 330XI.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Fuel pumps usually fail, or rather show signs of failing during the on/off stages. Although my fuel pump in my second e46 ran after starting but sputtered out and died. Does any lights on the dash come on when this happens? If not might be your pump
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Fuel pumps usually fail, or rather show signs of failing during the on/off stages. Although my fuel pump in my second e46 ran after starting but sputtered out and died. Does any lights on the dash come on when this happens? If not might be your pump
Yah no lights on the dash during this happening.

Just I felt my IDLE sort of dip and it almost felt like my tires were slipping and the car was just kind of losing power and not going anywheres.

I keep thinking its pump.. half a tank maybe its just getting weaker & weaker.. with a full tank it still has a chance to keep the pump cold enough to perform properly.. as soon as it gets lower it starts to do this crap?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
davidmaria1

My Ride: 2001 330i
Sounds like the fuel pump, Replace the filter while you're at it.
davidmaria1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Replace the fuel pump or you will soon be walking.

Read the 2nd link in my signature.

Fuel pumps rarely cause errors when they fail.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 03-21-2015 at 10:16 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Replace the fuel pump or you will soon be walking.

Read the 2nd link in my signature.

Fuel pumps rarely cause errors when they fail.
Alright thanks for the info. So what's the deal with what brand of fuel pump?
I see on eeuroparts they have one for 99$ and then one for $189..

So basically you guys do think that this issue I am seeing is probably fuel pump related?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Assume you are in Canada, so not sure if www.bmaparts.com is a good option for you?

Suggest you buy the pump/sending unit combo unit, not worth trying to cobble a stand alone pump into the sending unit. If you have the pump/sender unit, you can swap in as little as 15 minutes. If you have a stand alone pump you may be stuck screwing around mounting the pump for 30-45 mins or more and risk damaging the actual sender.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 AM   #8
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Alright thanks for the info. So what's the deal with what brand of fuel pump?
I see on eeuroparts they have one for 99$ and then one for $189..

So basically you guys do think that this issue I am seeing is probably fuel pump related?
Agree with what others have said, that it sounds like your fuel pump. The brand you want to go with is Siemens/VDO (OEM) and BMA Parts that jfoj linked to consistently has the best price on it at $125. Donít know the best options for shipping to Canada, but eEuroparts that you mentioned shows the Siemens/VDO pump (#16146766942) at $150, and both sites offer free shipping at that price point.

Easy DIY. Here's a good YouTube video, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...VGpkan0rE#t=52.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Assume you are in Canada, so not sure if www.bmaparts.com is a good option for you?

Suggest you buy the pump/sending unit combo unit, not worth trying to cobble a stand alone pump into the sending unit. If you have the pump/sender unit, you can swap in as little as 15 minutes. If you have a stand alone pump you may be stuck screwing around mounting the pump for 30-45 mins or more and risk damaging the actual sender.
Yes I am in Canada.. The one I see on eeuroparts is a Nordic one..

If I see correctly that's the whole pump..
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/5965...-16146766942A/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
Agree with what others have said, that it sounds like your fuel pump. The brand you want to go with is Siemens/VDO (OEM) and BMA Parts that jfoj linked to consistently has the best price on it at $125. Don't know the best options for shipping to Canada, but eEuroparts that you mentioned shows the Siemens/VDO pump (#16146766942) at $150, and both sites offer free shipping at that price point.

Easy DIY. Here's a good YouTube video, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...VGpkan0rE#t=52.
Going to check BMA Parts for shipping price.
Maybe eeuroparts will price match.. or even FCPeuro.

I was going to order some other stuff for a spring job anyways so I guess this order just grew..

What else would I need to order along with this any sort of gaskets or anything?

Last edited by jeepo23; 03-23-2015 at 06:58 AM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
jeepo23

bump..
Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Mango
New member? See my sig!

My Ride: M54B30
What could it be? Not maintaining your car to full professional standards. Thankfully, I wrote information a long time ago to help you. Also check this out for new owners:

http://e46cooling.blogspot.com/2014/...appeal-of.html
Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #12
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
What could it be? Not maintaining your car to full professional standards. Thankfully, I wrote information a long time ago to help you. Also check this out for new owners:

http://e46cooling.blogspot.com/2014/...appeal-of.html
Wicked read.

However it does not talk about Fuel pump and what exactly is required.. all it mentions is a fuel filter.

Seems to go into detail with suspension & cooling refresh but that's of no use to me currently..

Last edited by jeepo23; 04-02-2015 at 07:53 AM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Take note of your fuel level if it happens again before you get your new fuel pump.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Sir Knight BMWCaptain. - Over 1 Billion Served!
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Take note of your fuel level if it happens again before you get your new fuel pump.

Yah I did.. same thing, Ever so slightly above half full. Coincidence?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
jeepo23

So brand new VDO pump installed and it appears this still is occurring - I'm approaching the half full tank again.

What could it be? I gotta monitor the rpm if happens to see how they behave
Old 05-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
jeepo23

anyone?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
groundfisher

My Ride: 2000 323i
Mine is starting to do the same. Could it be the sensor In the foot pedal is bad?
groundfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #18
jeepo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfisher View Post
Mine is starting to do the same. Could it be the sensor In the foot pedal is bad?

Where is this sensor and what does it do?

Can it be cleaned?

I ordered a fuel filter so I'm waiting for that to arrive and will be swapping it.