E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #1
B Evil

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Dreaded Misfires 2003 325xi

So I have been searching and reading the forums for years. Finally got around to replacing some of the common failure parts as I had been experiencing the common misfire, rough idle, hesitation, stall out when starting from a stop, etc. I have had several codes prior to replacing anything.

P0313
P0300
P1351
P1347
P1349
P1085
P1083
P0171
P0174
P1345

Whenever I would clear the codes, P1349 would seem to be the first one to come back. Would not always get each of these codes, but at least a few of the misfire codes.

So the items I have replaced. VCG, CCV (cold climate), Air Distributor O-rings, Fuel Injector O-rings, Intake Manifold gasket, Throttle body Gasket, Spark Plugs, Coils, Coil Boots, Fuel Filter, both upper and lower Intake boots, F vacuum connector (along with the small vacuum lines that lead from the Intake to secondary air pump, DISA valve, Cleaned Throttle Body, Cleaned MAF.

In doing all of this, had noticed several of the hoses were cracked and detoriated, DISA flap was broken, plugs and coils appeared to be original. All fairly reassuring this was going to help solve the issues given the shape and condition of the parts I was replacing on a 12 year old car with 170k on the clock.

Once I got everything put back together, she hesitated on the 1st start up, which I chalked up to building up fuel pressure and vacuum again. But now that she's been running for a few days, still have misfire codes coming back. These were the first set of fresh codes.

P1349
P1351
P1353

After these were cleared, ended up with these on the next trip.

P1343
P1347
P1347

Started to wonder if these issues could be caused by a faulty fuel pump. Over the years prior to doing all of this work, there were a few occasions of extra long cranks where it just did not seem to be getting fuel. But then she would eventually fire up and run ok. But having this in the back of my mind, decided to check the pressure at the rail. This was after the car had warmed up a bit, but got a steady 50 to 51 PSI. After sitting for an hour, the pressure still ready around 48 PSI.

So I figured I could rule out the pump. But left the gauge hooked overnight so I could check again first thing this morning. When i started her up this morning, the pressure only went up to about 46 or 47 PSI.

So... question is, could this be signs of a faulty pump? And if it was a faulty pump, could this be the reason for the misfires, hesitations, rough idle, etc?? Any other thoughts as to what the cause could be??

Thanks in advance for any help in solving this mystery!! It has me ready to roll her down a hill. Which, if any of you guys knew me, how many different 3 series I have had over the years, and how much I love my BMW's, getting to the point of rolling her down a hill only begins to describe my frustration...
B Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
First 2 links below in my signature.

Freeze Frame and warm idle Fuel Trims are helpful here.

Search YouTube for Scotty Smoke Test. Do what Scotty does and/or build a tester like one from a related video.

If you plan on keeping the car, I would replace the fuel pump, it WILL fail at some point and they do soft fail as well.

Also understand that even replacement CCV hoses may be leaking because they were not fully snapped or an O-ring missing. Smoke testing is best to find the problems you assume are not there.

Also seeing power brake boosters failing and they seem to be failing more often in the xi for some reason??

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1057387

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote