E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 463 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #361
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
so, i'm on a time constraint, and doing a search didn't yield related results...

how do i know if i need a new CCV hose(s)? there are no cracks at the TOP, where it connects to the engine, but how can i easily tell if there's a crack at the back\bottom?
If they are the original parts fom a 2000 model car, it is safe to say that if they have not leaked, they will soon. I would bet money that the connectors crumble to bits if you try to disconnect the hose.
Not to mention the yellow goo that is probably inside the dipstick tube, where the VCV line attaches.
If you want some peace of mind for the next 5 years or so, just replace it all now. Just try to find the lowest priced quality parts out there, and bite the bullet. Avoid the "Kits" for the most part, since buying the individual parts is usually cheaper. Especially avoid the ECS kit, since the price is not that great, and the shipping is ridiculous. For what they charge, it should be hand delivered by a bikini model with daddy issues.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #362
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
CCV lower oil return hose is a very common failure. If this hose is gone, likely you may need to refresh your entire CCV, however, the lower oil return hose is cheap and can buy you time.

You may need to remove the airfilter housing or go from underneath, however, I usually can do this from under the hood. Find the hose that connects to the dipstick near the base of it, and follow it with your fingers back toward the bottom of the CCV, feel for softness, tears and oil. If it is soft, it is likely collapsed and leaking vacuum and oil.

In a pinch, 3/8" fuel line will work as I recall, but the connector on the bottom of the CCV is tricky and it is much easier to figure out how it works when you have a new replacement hose, with CCV connector, in your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
If they are the original parts fom a 2000 model car, it is safe to say that if they have not leaked, they will soon. I would bet money that the connectors crumble to bits if you try to disconnect the hose.
Not to mention the yellow goo that is probably inside the dipstick tube, where the VCV line attaches.
If you want some peace of mind for the next 5 years or so, just replace it all now. Just try to find the lowest priced quality parts out there, and bite the bullet. Avoid the "Kits" for the most part, since buying the individual parts is usually cheaper. Especially avoid the ECS kit, since the price is not that great, and the shipping is ridiculous. For what they charge, it should be hand delivered by a bikini model with daddy issues.

thank you much, gentlemen. i will replace the ccv hoses soon. also wanted to say that i replaced the lower intake boot and disa o-ring(the flap and all was good), and the car runs normal again. thanks again for all the help
Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #363
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Just want to say thanks. The butterfly fell out of its slot and won't let the DISA come out. I have to order it for now and drive it around like that 'till it ships. Gonna do that lower boot also, don't know if its bad or not but what the heck.

edit: It's a pricey part!

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 08-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #364
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
Hey jfoj,

Read your thread numerous times, and i am working on trying to improve a bouncing idle upon a rolling coast in neutral on a rebuilt engine I swapped in a couple months ago. I did a whole ccv replacement, new spark plugs, just recently in the last week replaced upper and lower intake boots and cleaned icv and tb. I pulled my disa, and it seems to be in good working order. My question pertains to the disa. Mine holds pressure when I cover the hole, but the flap isn't all the way closed. It looks like it is about 80% closed when covering the hole and when I release my thumb from the hole it springs open quickly like it should. Is that normal or is the disa supposed to be all the way closed when covering the hole? And I ordered a new o ring, do you think that will help my bouncing rpms when I take my car out of gear? I have a constant steady idle when sitting but the higher the rpm is when putting the car in neutral, the more "bounce" I get.

For example, if I am disengaging gear from around 3k the rpms dip to about 500 then up to 1k then evens out at 700. If I disengage gear around 5k it will dip below 500 and bounce past 1k and bounce back and forth about 3 or 4 times before leveling out at 700.

Acceleration seems a little sluggish too and I think it's my vanos but would like to hear your thoughts too.

Thanks for this awesome thread.

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #365
Chris M

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318 M
jfoj, This is a great thread and I have learnt a lot. My 2002 318 M (4 cylinder) has rough idling and stalling only once the engine has warmed to operating temperature. I am in Auckland, New Zealand, and we don't have temperatures below about 5 or 6 Celsius (50 - 52 F I guess). No problem at cold startup in the morning although the mixture smells rich to me. No codes come up. Any advice before I start working through your troubleshooting list? It seems to me that the general principles of your advice are applicable also to the 318 (4 cylinder) motor.
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #366
BreakfastBurrito

Is this the pin that you were referring to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1344993920.466586.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	465018  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #367
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Yep, your good. Sometimes these pins get loose and can be ingested by the engine.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #368
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle View Post
Hey jfoj,

Read your thread numerous times, and i am working on trying to improve a bouncing idle upon a rolling coast in neutral on a rebuilt engine I swapped in a couple months ago. I did a whole ccv replacement, new spark plugs, just recently in the last week replaced upper and lower intake boots and cleaned icv and tb. I pulled my disa, and it seems to be in good working order. My question pertains to the disa. Mine holds pressure when I cover the hole, but the flap isn't all the way closed. It looks like it is about 80% closed when covering the hole and when I release my thumb from the hole it springs open quickly like it should. Is that normal or is the disa supposed to be all the way closed when covering the hole? And I ordered a new o ring, do you think that will help my bouncing rpms when I take my car out of gear? I have a constant steady idle when sitting but the higher the rpm is when putting the car in neutral, the more "bounce" I get.

For example, if I am disengaging gear from around 3k the rpms dip to about 500 then up to 1k then evens out at 700. If I disengage gear around 5k it will dip below 500 and bounce past 1k and bounce back and forth about 3 or 4 times before leveling out at 700.

Acceleration seems a little sluggish too and I think it's my vanos but would like to hear your thoughts too.

Thanks for this awesome thread.

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
+1 about the DISA. I too wondered the same thing.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #369
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
Yep, your good. Sometimes these pins get loose and can be ingested by the engine.
it was really loose on the plastic piece, had I tipped it a bit it would've fell in the manifold probably had to fish it out or disassemble it. The pin is magnetic so you may get away with fishing it out.

Anyway, thanks jfoj and whomever else contributed to the topic. Also gotta thank internet part sales at Crevier BMW. The valve was actually cheaper with them than anything I could online. My car doesn't idle like Michael J. Fox anymore.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #370
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325max View Post
My car doesn't idle like Michael J. Fox anymore.

glad to hear, this thread saved my car as well
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #371
divad31

My Ride: e46 330xi touring
with the fuel pump....the engine misfire the same.....orggggggagggrrr...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Bimmer App
divad31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #372
divad31

My Ride: e46 330xi touring
with the fuel pump....the engine misfire the same.....orggggggagggrrr... -

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Bimmer App
divad31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #373
jfoj

divad31,

I think you might need to start a new thread and list everything done to date.

I know you have been working on trying to resolve your problem for quite some time.

You need good compression, good valve lift and control, good fuel mixture and good ignition.

You could possibly have a problem with wiring connections or something stuck in your fuel rail if you know your compression and leak down on the cylinder is good.

What is the status of the crank sensor? Has the transmission ever been out of the car?

VANOS O-rings? Camshaft position sensor?

Start a new thread, explain the symptom and list everything that has been checked or replaced.

Also suggest you get INPA as well as this tool may be helpful. You can actually find the software for free online if you look around and you should be able to find a cable for around $15 USD.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #374
Viktimize

My Ride: 2002 325i,2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
+1 about the DISA. I too wondered the same thing.
It's the same as both of my E46's, so I'm assuming that's normal since they both run flawless.
Viktimize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #375
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Yo guys and gals.

Anybody got the part number of the DISA O-Ring? Doesn't show it on here for some reason http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=40

Thanks
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #376
jfoj

Ray,

There is no BMW part number for your DISA O-ring.

You need to read the DISA section of the monster thread I put together at the beginning of this post or click on the first link below in my signature. It will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about replacing the O-ring on your DISA and the O-ring sizes. Most of the sources I listed are in the US, however, you should be able to source an O-ring locally or via Amazon UK?

Good luck.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #377
RayPooley

Quote:
Ray,

You need to read the DISA section of the monster thread I put together at the beginning of this post or click on the first link below in my signature. It will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about replacing the O-ring on your DISA and the O-ring sizes. Most of the sources I listed are in the US, however, you should be able to source an O-ring locally or via Amazon UK?

Good luck.
Thanks. I read your post. I will read it again. Guess I must have missed the important bit.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #378
RayPooley

Quote:
Ray,

Good luck.
Just read it again. How the hell did I miss that? Sometimes I make Homer Simpson look smart. Cheers.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #379
jfoj

The thread is a monster, it started out as a few short paragraphs, you can see what happened to it.

It is A LOT of info do digest in a single pass.

If I had time, I should really re-write it, but you will just have to deal with the sausage for now!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #380
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Our sausages have saved many! Many many more to come... "next!"

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote