E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #41
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Do you pass with the eu2!

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
alabama is emissions check free, so with that said, aa seems to be the way to go.

I think it's retarded for the government to make me pay for an inspection they require and penalize me if i don't.

Didn't obama try this with health insurance? "i'm going to make you get it. If you don't, you'll pay a fine." and that shit got shot down.

Then again, i'm selfish and don't really care about the future generations.
yee haw!!!!
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #43
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
If emmision testing isn't a worry then going with shark makes just as much sense. Why would you pay for a tune that seems to do nothing (AA) just to remove a check engine light.... When you can actually make some power with the Shark. If your only concern is turning off the check engine light then just do the euro 2 tune for free.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #44
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
Shark is dank
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #45
darksideracer69

I was asking if he passed emissions with eu2 cause oe can tune that. I don't give a rats ass if it's fishy. Does it get the job done. OE is supposed to have better or similar gains than shark

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #46
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
I was asking if he passed emissions with eu2 cause oe can tune that. I don't give a rats ass if it's fishy. Does it get the job done. OE is supposed to have better or similar gains than shark

Sent from my SGH-T959V

Normally I agree with most of what you say, but not on this subject. I have noticed a tremendous amount of supposition as of late concerning OE Tuning & their abilities to tune, and more to the point: the ability to make power in an E46 BMW.

The Shark is a very proven platform at this point, OE Tuning is not. I have personally had two "tuning"-based discussions with OE, concerning the E46 & dyno tuning for maximum power. After these calls I have concluded that OE is really not "custom" tuning our BMWs, this is based on the fact that their time on the dyno is way too short for custom tuning and that their price which is based on that short time is just too cheap. Even though (if I remember correctly) "Jeremy" was really trying his hardest to Not tell me, but all of OE Tuning's "tunes" are a "Canned Tune" like the AA or Shark tune. They just have many many tunes already stored from years back when they originally developed their E46 tunes. This way OE can try a few different tunes while your E46 is on their dyno, and apply the tune that seems to work best, but in No Way can this be considered a "Custom Tune".

When a tuning company actually gives your E46 a "custom tune" on their chassis dyno, this simply takes time with a lot of dyno pulls to see what the car is doing. Every time the car finishes a pull, more changes are made on the computer, this process takes repeated attempts until the car is happy. With this process, your BMW will probably be strapped down on that companies chassis dyno for one to two full days; with a final price tag of $1200 to $2000.

So the only way to resolve this OE tuning question is this. Some "known" E46F forum member takes their E46 (preferably a 330) to OE tuning with a Shark Injector already installed in their BMW. The Sharked car first goes on OE's dyno & makes a few baseline pulls to establish its current power & AFR numbers. When this is done the Shark gets removed, now it's OE's turn. OE Tuning can then try their different "canned tunes" untill they find one that works well with the current mods on the car. That is the ONLY way we as a community will know if one tune is better than the other. Maybe OE Tuning is better than the Shark Injector, maybe not. Remember, EVERYONE thought the AA tune was going to kill the Shark Injector, but that was NOT the case.

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
darksideracer69

^ exactly, but if we already know AA tanked. Then why not give someone else a try. We already know that the shark works, but having to combine that with an lc-1 seems like an extra cost for really no reason. Also if OE can tune the eu2, it has its extra benefits.

Sent from my SGH-T959V

IMAG02051
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #48
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
^ exactly, but if we already know AA tanked. Then why not give someone else a try. We already know that the shark works, but having to combine that with an lc-1 seems like an extra cost for really no reason. Also if OE can tune the eu2, it has its extra benefits.

Sent from my SGH-T959V
Agreed.

But, OE Tuning is located in CA. I don't seem to remember them being able to tune my East Coast car. At the very least, I'd have to drive it to one of OE's dealer approved shops, but for many forum members that isn't an option based on distance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Quote:

Sent from my SGH-T959V
I guess I should have been more direct. During any emissions test where they are monitoring the OBD2 systems, the euro 2 will not pass if the inspector knows at all what he's doing.

You're gonna need an LC-1 to pass whether you go with OE or Shark.

Given that OE is unproven, I'd rather not be a guinea pig and go with what I know works.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #50
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
215 rear wheels.. HP/TQ.. add shark tune, long tube intake, headers. I'd love to assure you in any other way. No AA tune to DATE with those modifications can produce that number. WTF would you like to buy? Gains or AA FAILURE?
I don't know how I missed this post before.

I'm fairly certain my car is already making around 215 WHP by what it does and how it performs. I could be crazy, though. I do know that I can pull about a car length on a bone stock ZHP (in a "controlled environment"... *cough, cough* ).

I'd love to go to the dyno soon, but I have insurance and tires to pay for. And an oil change.

Why does this crap all sneak up on me at the same time?
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote